Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

4 hours ago, Colossus said:

So, I'll probably end up purchasing this for Christmas, and then living out of the set's box when my wife kicks me out for buying an $800 Lego set. 

Its certainly big enough for it :laugh:

1 hour ago, DrasticPlastic said:

Just saw it in the brick...

Amazing.

Looks like most of the roof panels lift so there's a huge amount of accessible empty space for modding.

Did you take any pics?

Why not pour some fuel on this fire if you did :classic:

Edited by whitecitadel
smiley not so smiley

I was told today at the Leicester Square store that they'll be having a midnight opening, with the set designer there to sign copies (which you buy on the spot and take away), on Sept 14th.

The LEGO Store in Cologne has the UCS MF on display in it's full glory (see https://ibb.co/m54umv). I never saw it in RL before. It's f...ing huge. Unfortunately I didn't win ithe MF at the promotion game in the Store but the consolation price was a free 30611:classic:

Because I own 75105 as well (and all smaller MF sets) I am very disappointed with the range of minifigures the UCS MF has. I was expecting more then 2 exclusives and 2 useless porgs. The store worker told me they don't know how many sets they will get on 14th Sept. but he was afraid it will be like an iPhone release so there is no way to guarantee a reservation can be fulfilled.

9 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Concerning the personal issue part, if that is more issues or not I don't know but for anybody to buy a 800 euro cartong full of plastic when almost one billion people in the world are living under a dollar a day, I'm pretty sure all of us AFOLs have issues.

Very poignant response. 

And whats with using the word 'copies' to describe purchasing multiples of the same consumer product? Why add the word copies? "I'm buying two" or "I'm buying two copies"? The entirety of human communication has been consumed by brevity except when adults talk about purchasing more than one of the same children's toy.

Edited by koalayummies

Wow. This set is definitely the most detailed ever, without a doubt. Shame I'm gonna have to build another room in my house though (if I am to buy it)!!!!!!!

Huge Lego Fan...but rarely venture out from under the Technic rock.  but every now and then, for incredible SW sets..... I do. 

Ergo....here I am.  Couple of thoughts:

When you are part of a fanbase, a hobby, whatever you wanna call it, it is kinda fun to be a part of huge occurrences, or what I call "game-changing" events.  The "steps".... so to speak, in the stepwise evolution of something. 

In this case..... it is Lego, and I would certainly label this a "step."  Problem is, How long will this "game-changer" in my Lego Hobby remain such a heralded event before it is surpassed by something even bigger?  And is it worth 800$ to be part of something so big, when it only may be around for a little while?  The old UCS MF was kinda known as the biggest, baddest, most well-known set for the past ten years (although it really wasnt the biggest), but now no longer is.  And what is now about to come?   8,000 piece SSDs?  8,000 piece Star Destroyers?  What type of precedent does this set really set?  Those are the questions I really am eager to see answered  in the future.

Anyways, I will likely let this set pass.  I have either sold, or am selling, all UCS sets I have bought in the past.  I have loved them, fun to build, but in my time back from my dark ages i have just discovered that I am not a collector.  I love building..... period.  I like to be surrounded by some sets..... but those that I chose to have around me build up too fast, and trying to find space for more is too big a burden.  I think everyone gets the cost thing of our hobby all wrong.  The true expense is not buying the sets themselves.... its having a home large enough to adequately store and display sets and MOCs with so many thousands of pieces.....

On 8/31/2017 at 1:37 PM, Vodnik said:

This is the ESB version, so Luke, Obi Wan and R2-D2 don't belong in it.

R2 did fix the hyperdrive in the end and Luke (missing a hand) was onboard as well.  Also Lando!  Maybe only 10 minutes of movie time but I'll add those minifigs. Thankfully hand are easy to remove from minifig so Luke can match the movie counterpart.

17 hours ago, Azrielsc said:

I hope this is not a limited production run because knowing my luck, all will be swiped off the shelves... :cry_sad:

10179 was available for a few years before it was retired.  Death Star 10188 lasted like 7 or 8 years so this new set will likely last some years.

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Huge Lego Fan...but rarely venture out from under the Technic rock.  but every now and then, for incredible SW sets..... I do. 

Ergo....here I am.  Couple of thoughts:

When you are part of a fanbase, a hobby, whatever you wanna call it, it is kinda fun to be a part of huge occurrences, or what I call "game-changing" events.  The "steps".... so to speak, in the stepwise evolution of something. 

In this case..... it is Lego, and I would certainly label this a "step."  Problem is, How long will this "game-changer" in my Lego Hobby remain such a heralded event before it is surpassed by something even bigger?  And is it worth 800$ to be part of something so big, when it only may be around for a little while?  The old UCS MF was kinda known as the biggest, baddest, most well-known set for the past ten years (although it really wasnt the biggest), but now no longer is.  And what is now about to come?   8,000 piece SSDs?  8,000 piece Star Destroyers?  What type of precedent does this set really set?  Those are the questions I really am eager to see answered  in the future.

Anyways, I will likely let this set pass.  I have either sold, or am selling, all UCS sets I have bought in the past.  I have loved them, fun to build, but in my time back from my dark ages i have just discovered that I am not a collector.  I love building..... period.  I like to be surrounded by some sets..... but those that I chose to have around me build up too fast, and trying to find space for more is too big a burden.  I think everyone gets the cost thing of our hobby all wrong.  The true expense is not buying the sets themselves.... its having a home large enough to adequately store and display sets and MOCs with so many thousands of pieces.....

So, you are suggesting it is not worth getting something purely because a different larger model will come along in the future? Then what is the point in buying any set at all when a bigger better updated version is likely to come along later? Or a larger completely different set will be released?

Most people aren't buying this simply because it is the current largest set of all time, but because it is a massive version of an iconic set that many people want a second chance at having, while having an even better version than the one missed out on, or just having a really good version at a reasonable cost (for some countries). 

I'm only one person, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say the thought of me buying it to be on the hype train of purchasing the biggest set isn't even in the back of my mind, nor does it even come into any context whatsoever when I buy this. 

If they come out with a bigger set, I'll look forward to seeing what it is and potentially buying it because of how good the set is, not because of it being the newest biggest set... 

All those bemoaning the price, just remember the minute this thing goes out of production in (hopefully) a few years, even if you opened the box and built it, it'll most likely be worth more than you paid for it. Look at it as a long term savings account. Money in Lego is more profitable than in gold right now.

For me, I'm intending on paying not only to have the set, but to one day have the experience of building it. I don't build often, but when I do, I enjoy it... I started with the last UCS X-Wing, and have the B Wing, Tie and Slave-1.. plus R2-D2. Each one of them has given me at least $200 enjoyment of the $399NZ price tag (give or take for each, but all of those sets have been around that price, with 1300-2500 pieces each). This set will cost me $1500NZ to buy. I'm catering for several hundred dollars worth of building enjoyment in that. My other "do I spend it, don't I? the money would be better added to the mortgage to reduce it!" geek hobby is gaming memorabila and Hot Toys figures. Neither of which provide any form of entertainment other than sitting on a display shelf. That hobby I have had to learn to curb, due to the sad reality of life's expenses, and I'll be the first to say that as much as I like spending money on things I enjoy, I also do like saving it too..

My brothers and I are all in our 40's. One flies up and down the country, to Australia, to the US... to various "retreats" with like minded people of his lifestyle. Good on him for doing his thing, but all he has for his money expenditure on it are memories and experiences.. and as you get older, the memory of those fade.. (trust me, to anyone in your 20s, they will fade! lol) The other brother spends money on vehicles, driving them and changing them.. Again, there is no greater money drain than a vehicle. And once you've changed it, you don't even have the great big money pit, just the fun of having once owned it.

Hundreds of dollars of plastic? yes it is, but one person's hobby shouldn't be thumbed down any more than anothers.

This is almost to scale. Part of me wishes it was a few bricks higher for a full minifig-scale set... But it would have tacked on at least another 50-100 dollars...

Guys, I had the opportunity to see this thing in the flesh at the local lego store.  I've gotta say I'm impressed!  Having been in the middle of my own MF MOC the past 6 or so months I can really appreciate the detail and attention to accuracy.  It's not perfect, but dang, never thought an off the shelve lego set would get so close.  It almost makes me want to abandon my own build and just mod this one instead.  Almost... 

I will still be purchasing it.  Perhaps one for display and another for parts.  :-)

And all those whining about minfigs...will you just stop!  I hate to tell you, but a set like this is not for the minifigs!

21 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Well yeah... except an iPhone does way more than a Lego set

But an iphone only lasts two years. This will last a lifetime!

6 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

So, you are suggesting it is not worth getting something purely because a different larger model will come along in the future? Then what is the point in buying any set at all when a bigger better updated version is likely to come along later? Or a larger completely different set will be released?

Most people aren't buying this simply because it is the current largest set of all time, but because it is a massive version of an iconic set that many people want a second chance at having, while having an even better version than the one missed out on, or just having a really good version at a reasonable cost (for some countries). 

I'm only one person, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say the thought of me buying it to be on the hype train of purchasing the biggest set isn't even in the back of my mind, nor does it even come into any context whatsoever when I buy this. 

If they come out with a bigger set, I'll look forward to seeing what it is and potentially buying it because of how good the set is, not because of it being the newest biggest set... 

Amen brother! :thumbup: 

10 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

"Something purely" ---Certainly you words, not mine.  The exclusivity to which you applied to my words is your own twist, not one that I intended to alluded to.  Of course the main reason for buying this, and any other set is for reasons other than what I mentioned (building, etc.). However, ceding that one buys to just build or display is a little myopic.  There is an incredibly large component to collecting, or wanting to be part of history, or a piece of history, is involved in that.  

"Hype" is also your word, and carries a negative connotation in this context.  No need to pathologize everything that I said, at least buy me dinner first :laugh:!!!  No but seriously, "hype" is different than what I meant or intended.  Wanting to be part of history should not be pathologized and is common in the world of collecting and fandome.  Perhaps a better way to state my initial post is that the desire to be part of history or something big in the world of Lego building can be somewhat complex when the world of Lego itself is changing so rapidly.  I do not mean this to be  a negative thing..... it speaks to the fast-pace Lego is evolving at.....

Why would you care about being part of history by owning a set? I think of being part of history as being something like a 9/11 responder. Or fighting in a war. Or something a bit more... important/grand than being "part of history" by owning a Lego set ;p.

Idunno. I think "hype" works. Wanting to be a part of history is it's own type of "hype". "Hype" can be motivated by tons of different things because obviously people are into ideas (like this set!) for different reasons. I do think it shouldn't be "pathologized" but I don't think that's what he intended either! XD

People like and want or dislike and don't want this set for different reasons. While I don't really go for the "history" angle personally, who freakin' cares? What does it matter that people's motivations are different? 

I'm tired. 

29 minutes ago, BrickG said:

People like and want or dislike and don't want this set for different reasons. While I don't really go for the "history" angle personally, who freakin' cares? What does it matter that people's motivations are different? 

I'm tired. 

Here we agree  :classic:  People collect for a variety of different reasons, and I am not sure it matters as to why.   But that aside, it certainly does not discount the primary reason for wanting the set, to build the freaking thing! :wink:  I voiced my point only to me, personally, it does add an additional element to collecting/Lego hobby.  If it doesn't to others..... wonderful, but that doesn't make my reasons any less meaningful. 

I stand my the "history" aspect.  Collecting does carry this element.  Think of collecting baseball cards, cars, etc.   There are "icons" that are part of history to those involved.  And I don't think it is "hype."  If I had the money to collect exotic vehicles, I would likely want a Ferrari F40.  If I collected American Cars a baby blue 1967 Mustang.  Can't say I would want either for the "hype."  If it were baseball card collecting, a Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle card would be nice, and the same comment applies.  Again, can't agree with the term because, whether it is intended or not, there is a degree of judgement there.  The 2007 UCS MF was,  and is,  an icon for the Lego community.  Nothing is wrong with wanting a piece of that. 

All that aside.... lets not take away from this wonderful set put out from TLG.  Despite the criticisms, I think it looks like a terrific set.  The build will certainly be rewarding.  As mentioned, likely I will not be getting the set..... but eager to hear of the building experiences/modifications of those who do. 

On 1 September 2017 at 6:23 PM, Bartybum said:

Well yeah... except an iPhone does way more than a Lego set

Well yeah...except this Lego set does weigh more than an iPhone   :)

I am fan of Star Wars, not hard core, but I like it. But I do not know why is this ship so popular. One UCS is good, but new one? It is same as new Death Star. This is just ridiculous.

Maybe it is just me.

17 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Well, that bit highlighted in bold specifically implies that is the 'pure' reason because I'm pretty sure if I pay 800 dollars for a UCS mf, I get to keep it regardless whatever else set gets released, but your implication lies in that the spending of $800 is for something that doesn't last-  the 'heralded event' as you call it...  

I call it hype, because no matter what word/synonym or pedestal you use to place it on, it boils down to hype. You might think it carries a negative connotation, I don't, I just don't use fancy synonyms. (can't remember the last time I ever heard the word herald :laugh:)

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

"Something purely" ---Certainly you words, not mine.  The exclusivity to which you applied to my words is your own twist, not one that I intended to alluded to.  Of course the main reason for buying this, and any other set is for reasons other than what I mentioned (building, etc.). However, ceding that one buys to just build or display is a little myopic.  There is an incredibly large component to collecting, or wanting to be part of history, or a piece of history, is involved in that.  

"Hype" is also your word, and carries a negative connotation in this context.  No need to pathologize everything that I said, at least buy me dinner first :laugh:!!!  No but seriously, "hype" is different than what I meant or intended.  Wanting to be part of history should not be pathologized and is common in the world of collecting and fandome.  Perhaps a better way to state my initial post is that the desire to be part of history or something big in the world of Lego building can be somewhat complex when the world of Lego itself is changing so rapidly.  I do not mean this to be  a negative thing..... it speaks to the fast-pace Lego is evolving at.....

As mentioned above, herald is just a synonym for hype, you re further confusing the situation by saying you meant one but not the other when their meaning and context are one and the same. 

I'll put it down to a misunderstanding then, because you neglect to mention or allude to anything other than the cost being spent just to be part of a 'historic event'...

2 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Well, that bit highlighted in bold specifically implies that is the 'pure' reason because I'm pretty sure if I pay 800 dollars for a UCS mf, I get to keep it regardless whatever else set gets released, but your implication lies in that the spending of $800 is for something that doesn't last-  the 'heralded event' as you call it...  

I call it hype, because no matter what word/synonym or pedestal you use to place it on, it boils down to hype. You might think it carries a negative connotation, I don't, I just don't use fancy synonyms. (can't remember the last time I ever heard the word herald :laugh:)

As mentioned above, herald is just a synonym for hype, you re further confusing the situation by saying you meant one but not the other when their meaning and context are one and the same. 

I'll put it down to a misunderstanding then, because you neglect to mention or allude to anything other than the cost being spent just to be part of a 'historic event'...

Lol.....Not sure if I wronged you in another life or something but if so I am sorry!  Word choice here is certainly being scrutinized like I did.  :sceptic: Truly did not know a dissertation of all my thoughts was needed to state a personal opinion.  But to everyone.....if I "neglected" to mention that I also would  love to build this set, and if I were to purchase it would certainly do so for that reason, then here it is: 

I buy sets for many reasons, among them, to build them. (that sounds absolutely ludicrous that I have to state that *huh**huh* )  

PM sent.....lets not bog down the post with any more of our business.  I wont respond anymore to all the above.  Focus should remain on the set and comments pertaining to it.  As mentioned, excited to hear others opinions of it.... 1 OCT is not too far away!

Went to the LEGO Store yesterday and, like everyone is saying, it's huge. Like, way bigger than anything else you've seen for sale at the store. The thing about it is that it's quite flat, so that allows for a much larger shape width and length wise.

I also asked one of the employees how many they expected to have in stock for the 14th, he said he had no idea. Oh well, if it's out of stock in that store, I still have another one that's not too far from where I live and that is kind of ghost town-ish.