It's been a while since I've built a tank model. This time I wanted it to look accurate and perform well. You'll be the judges of looks, but I dare to assume that ability to cross 22 cm wide trenches, climb 9 cm tall vertical obstacles and ascend a 31° slope counts as decent performance. Not to mention that the hull is built partially upside-down, and includes partial interior based on that of the original tank.

Phenomenal build and side-splitting video. You always manage to outdo yourself - your models get better and better (and I can't recall anything of yours being less than outstanding) as do your clips, both in the editing and in how thoroughly engaging they are. Hats off to you, sir.

/\ This. Not sure what is more awesome: the build or the video. "He wanted to be a painter...." :laugh:.

How it compares with real one in terms of offroad performance, for example max slope? I presume the model has much better power/weight ratio?

I was unable to find out the maximum slope possible to climb by the original Mark V. Finding any documentation for a vehicle from 100 years ago is, well, not easy.

10 hours ago, Sariel said:

I was unable to find out the maximum slope possible to climb by the original Mark V. Finding any documentation for a vehicle from 100 years ago is, well, not easy.

Excellent build of the Mark V tank.
There were two types Male as per your model and Females which only had machine guns.

The Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset, England may be able to answer your query re max. climbing angle.
The museum has a huge collection of tanks - some in working order and used in displays.

http://www.tankmuseum.org

Edited by Doug72

The Bovington Museum has one male Mark V, exactly the H41 unit from which I've taken the markings for my model, and it's not in the working order anymore.

15 hours ago, Sariel said:

I found specs for the Mark VIII from R.P. Hunnicuitt's "Firepower" that that vehicle could climb an 84% grade. Maybe similar specs would hold true for the mark V, though the Mark VIII has a more powerful V12 engine.

Great work on this model, I really like the SNOT work on the sides and the interior makes a good addition for detail. The traverse mechanisms for the sponson guns is a rather creative solution as well. I guess finding the balance between detail and functionality is always a compromise in most cases, though I think this model did an amazing job at obtaining both. I think it is also interesting to compare your first Mark I to this Mark V, and you can see how far you have changed in building style and attention to detail. :thumbup: 

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

This is a great build, Sariel. I particularly like the gun movement mechanism, which is smoother than butter and still very fast. It also doesn't have the jerky motion often seen when linear actuators reach the end of their travel. The video is very good, too. 

Wow amazing detail on the tank, i was wondering if you do bespoke models as I am looking for someone who can create a lego Chieftan AVRE tank for mini figures i have had one quote from germany which id extremely expensive and a company in USA but they wont do it unless a min order of 50 sets are ordered. Can anyone help?

So, a minifigure scale tank with no functions? Sounds easy, why do you need somebody to do it?

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

So, a minifigure scale tank with no functions? Sounds easy, why do you need somebody to do it?

I dont have much time as job hunting or on courses getting ready to leave the military after 24 years so it is very difficult. i have found the chieftan main battle tank so think its a conversion and change of colour (green and black or desert) . https://www.brickmania.com/fv4201-chieftain-main-battle-tank/.

If i could get it with power it would be great but i know this would make it more expensive so if parts like the front and rear hampers moved manually and the crane moved manually that would be great. links below of some images of the AVRE. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chieftain_AVRE_(7527892994).jpg

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/286823069990916522/

Chieftain AVRE with Pipe Fascine and Class 30 Trackway

many thanks 

Phill

The Brickmania tank you've linked to is fairly small, it would be difficult just to make it drive straight with a motor, not to mention anything extra. Also, I'm not going to reverse-engineer their design because that's just feels unfair. Tell me what you want the model to do and at what budget, and if I pass, perhaps someone else will be interested.

23 hours ago, Sariel said:

I dont have much time as job hunting or on courses getting ready to leave the military after 24 years so it is very difficult. i have found the chieftan main battle tank so think its a conversion and change of colour (green and black or desert) . https://www.brickmania.com/fv4201-chieftain-main-battle-tank/.

If i could get it with power it would be great but i know this would make it more expensive so if parts like the front and rear hampers moved manually and the crane moved manually that would be great. links below of some images of the AVRE. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chieftain_AVRE_(7527892994).jpg

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/286823069990916522/

Chieftain AVRE with Pipe Fascine and Class 30 Trackway

many thanks 

Phill

14 hours ago, Sariel said:

The Brickmania tank you've linked to is fairly small, it would be difficult just to make it drive straight with a motor, not to mention anything extra. Also, I'm not going to reverse-engineer their design because that's just feels unfair. Tell me what you want the model to do and at what budget, and if I pass, perhaps someone else will be interested.

Sariel

I would like it to mini figure size so if it needs not to have power thats no problem. I would like both front and rear hampers to tilt up so they can tip the bundles of facsines off, plus i would the loader/crane to work it should be able to lift the facsines into postion. Also i would like a buldozer attacment at the front that can go up and down, plus theres a winch at the back. Unsure what this would cost and i currently have a budget 300 to 400, if its alot more than this i have i have a larger budget in July so can wait to then.

How much would a manual small model be also how much would a larger fully powed model be with power functions for hampers, winch, loader buldozer and actual drive.

If this is something that your would like to do i can send you all the pictures you require.

Phill

Thank you but I have to pass. I just don't have enough time. Plenty of talented builders to contact here.