Arigomi

SW: TLJ set reviews taken down from YouTube

It seems that LEGO's legal team has sent notices, forcing YouTubers to take down their reviews of SW:TLJ sets. This includes popular channels like JANGBRiCKS. I wonder if Disney is putting pressure on LEGO to do this because sets tend to have spoilers. This sudden change in policy is troubling, especially when Force Friday II is this week.

So wait, he had to take down his videos, until september 1, the date of the embargo?

Dickish move from their legal departement if this is legit, go after the retailers that didn't respect it. All of this seems like a whole lot of time wasted, throwing threats like this a few days from the embargo, while other youtubers like Just2Good published their reviews a lot earlier and didn't get crap for it. 

most reviews are still up, maybe not by Jangbricks, but you can still watch plenty of reviews on youtube. Those smaller youtubers either don't care, or weren't threatened. If it's the latter, a big **** *** to Disney. Why only go after the big guys?

That is weird. Just yesterday, even Brickset released a review of the Chewie buildable, and Rex even mentions in the comments, that as long as they got the sets from a legal source, they're OK to release information.

I wonder if maybe just the reviews that didn't specifically mention the origin of purchase were taken down. I don't remember now if Jang mentioned it or not, but nevertheless, it's kind of a PR-f**up to go after video reviews after days and who knows how many views...

1 hour ago, brobert said:

That is weird. Just yesterday, even Brickset released a review of the Chewie buildable, and Rex even mentions in the comments, that as long as they got the sets from a legal source, they're OK to release information.

I wonder if maybe just the reviews that didn't specifically mention the origin of purchase were taken down. I don't remember now if Jang mentioned it or not, but nevertheless, it's kind of a PR-f**up to go after video reviews after days and who knows how many views...

I think Jang was pretty explicit about where he got them and that there weren't any restrictions on him buying them :/

2 hours ago, brobert said:

The Chewbacca review is gone! Just checked Brickset - it looks like YouTubers weren't the only victims.

4 minutes ago, JACKATTACKS said:

The Chewbacca review is gone! Just checked Brickset - it looks like YouTubers weren't the only victims.

Huh...that is weird. Looks like the Mouse-house really strikes down this time on early reveals...but seriously this is ridiculous, everyone and their mother already saw them..

Jang is choosing not to go to court because of the legal fees and time it takes. However, Disney would lose in court, as they broke the law by attempting to sue law abiding citizens. So, Jang should go to court, but won't. However, I haven't seen MandRProductions threatened, or even Just2Good. Disney is total bull, and the company is too big and powerful for its own good.

As far as I'm aware Jang is not in bed in Lego, does not receive sets or sign embargoes forms with them so in effect he is a normal punter on the street giving his view on a set he bought legally from a shop.

Strange that Lego and Disney don't threaten to sue big multinational retailers for releasing sets early. Maby it's because they also have endless pots of money and just as many lawyers. Megablocking cowards!

What's even stranger is how one day they send him an iPad in a box then threaten to sue the next day. Just odd behaviour from Lego. 

Edited by That Orange Thing

Just now, That Orange Thing said:

Strange that Lego and Disney don't threaten to sue big multinational retailers for releasing sets early.

I bet there's penalty clauses in whatever supplier contracts are in place, so there's no need to sue/go to court.

12 minutes ago, That Orange Thing said:

What's even stranger is how one day they send him an iPad in a box then threaten to sue the next day. Just odd behaviour from Lego

It's likely that their marketing team does not talk to the legal team.

Really messed up. Bad move from both TLG and that house of mouse.

Most of the time the threats are all they need to do. Let's say Jang or anybody else will go to court, demand that the videos go live again and wins. That would that months (at least) and after that the buzz for the sets is over, everybody has uploaded their review and all he lost was valuable time (not to mention the stress you will probably get when you have to go to court vs Disney). Of course it's bs that individuals get called out on it, while the companies can do what they want (although we don't know what Disney/Lego will do with them..), but it also makes sense as Lego needs them to sell the product. The relationship between Toysrus/Walmart/etc and Lego is more important than 'illegal' selling sets early. 

I love Disney and a lot of their IP's, but their legal department is full of money grubbing dorks. :tongue: I figure Jang was targeted because he is the most prominent Lego reviewer with the most subscribers. 

Any bets all of Jang's videos will magically appear again this Friday?

Jangbricks addresses the reason why in his recent video explaining the situation. He can't call Disney's bluff without losing his entire channel, even though he is sure the 3rd party claim isn't legit (I agree). The stakes are just too high for someone like him who has put a lot of resources into his channel and YouTube will capitulate with a copyright takedown automatically. "Buddy Smith" who does reviews on the side and racks up a few hundred views each time isn't losing anything if The Mouse destroys his channel. That's what the stakes are for Jang

I don't think it's fair to be blaming TLG... They'll likely be forced to do whatever they are sending out due to Disney. TLG would have to comply as part of being able to do merchandising of SW sets.

Why they don't just stock retailers later so they can't 'accidentally' sell them earlier is beyond me. They wouldn't lose sales, because they all come from the same place and when people know about them already, they already likely know if they're going to get the set's or not. However, the 'early' reviews, if anything, help people make their mind up too... Some in a positive way that they'll definitely be buying a set, some in a negative way that they decide not to get a certain set. I expect more positives than negatives though... 

Who knows the real reasoning as to why enforcing it upon YouTube a couple days before... 

@just2good, well stated here!

If Lego asks you to take them down tomorrow that would be Petty especially seeing that the wide release is Friday... 

Here is hoping the Han Solo film doesn't renew the Force Friday tradition and the review restrictions. It's caused a lot of bad blood between the community and Disney/TLG. 

I too highly doubt it is LEGO. 

Someone just saw that Jang's videos got considerable traffic on sets that I guess are not supposed to be in shelves until Friday. So boom, they figured they would go for the low lying fruit as it were. 

But that is not Jang's fault. He paid money for product at retail. The items in question were not marked as date restricted in any way it seems and the transaction was legit. 

And that is the biggest thing to me that rubs me all wrong. Treating paying costumers for buying the things corporations want them to buy like criminals after they pay. For real? So you take their cash and while you are at it kick them some? Pretty much what DRM is all about but this time it is a with a physical item that has a fair number of online reviews up already. 

I raised a question about a Star Wars product being ripped off last year (not Lego) and was told it is the licence holders responsibility to persue, not the original IP holder, though they (licence holder)are obliged to take action (I presume as part of the licence agreement).  I know this is a bit of a different set of circumstances as its a licenced product legally obtained, but either TLG or Disney could be throwing their weight around, or both.

Disney can quite frankly EAD. It's not as if there are still 2016 versions of the same model on the shelves, for instance a particular snowboard or mountain bike that carries the same name as the upcoming 2017 model. It's ridiculous.

This just Disney being bullies. Thankfully I wasn't planning to get any of The Last Jedi sets with the exception of possibly 1 set. Now I might not get any The Last Jedi sets.

Whatever the case, I'll not buy the Star Destroyer & Bomber then. Overall I just like some designs & don't care about the new trilogy.  I'll invest my money in Ninjago, better deals & builds anyway.

And if we would "lose Jang, that would be a HUGE loss for Lego.

Edited by Kim-Kwang-Seok