Redhead1982

MOC Rural timbered house

My latest MOC is part of community winter-themed build. The goal was to brickbuild houses from Faller's catalog (or mimick their style for a unified look of village houses). I chose this house specifically for the timbered look. I found it attractive with the angled timbers, but had many diffuculties building it. In the end, I made some compromises, mostly due to easier transport and setup at the exhibition.

The floor plan is 40 x 26 studs with the entrance sticking out a bit. The height of the building is 23 bricks. It is large for a minifig scale, but it was not possible to include all the hallmarks of the original. So just imagine the rooms inside with multiple beddings for hikers and climbers somewhere high in the Alps (there's no interiors, so let your imagination go wild).

36877129575_4dd0a303b3_c.jpg

The original model has a much more detailed entrance. I intentionally built just a small porch, with steps covered with snow on the edges.

36068608003_63ca445b2f_c.jpg

The back and the sides of the building are similar with the repeating pattern. Since it's a winter-themed build, there's snow on the roof and window sills are empty. The flowers will be planted in the spring.

36877123545_ce5e94f51a_c.jpg

My favourite detail are the horns just bellow the roof. It's not so clearly visible on the photos. Considering the size of the buildings, I am satisfied with how it turned out. There's definitely many shortages, such as the angled timbers (secured on the back with tape), a bit wobbly roof on Technic base (not an expert, so it's not as sturdy as it should be). I wanted it light and easy to transfer, so I awoided thicker walls to secure the angled tiles. However, I'm sure it will survive the transport to the exhibition.

What a delightful house, does it belong to Red Riding Hood's grandma ?

Fantastic snot effect to give the house a truly Tudor cottage feel to it.

Brick On 'Redhead1982' ! 

Yes the tudor work is great. And those gorgeous white windows offset it nicely. Would love to see photos of the whole village at the exhibition!

I really like it. You did a great job capturing the look of the original model. My favourite parts are the snow covered roof with the windows and the stone work on the bottom of the building.

I also would love to see pictures of the whole village.

Thanks for the nice and positive comments. It feels great to get such response after weeks of building. The exhibition is still weeks away in early October. I'll make sure to take plenty of photos to update this post. Other LUG members might post their buildings here as well. Nevertheless, if you live close, you could make a day trip to Ljubljana for the exhibition.:classic:

On 29. 8. 2017 at 10:23 AM, alsielou said:

Would love to see photos of the whole village at the exhibition!

On 29. 8. 2017 at 7:09 PM, carebear said:

- Goodluck with the exhibition!

8 hours ago, Palixa And The Bricks said:

I also would love to see pictures of the whole village.

Very well done! Love the detail of the antlers as well. The timbers are wonderfully patterned on the cottage.