Sign in to follow this  
lifeinplastic

Creating a 'track-less' layout

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a zoo for my nieces and would like to have some sort of 'safari train' included to add a little more action and playability. However, I don't really want to use the bulky track pieces unless they can be nicely hidden by tiles to look more like a tram system. One option is to tile over the track pieces although there doesn't seem to be a neat way of tiling around the curved track pieces. Has anybody done this neatly before?

This youtube video shows a great layout and the sort of effect I would like to create with the track hidden beneath tiles but the corners are the problem:

I am open to other suggestions and was looking at the 'Slotted Rail Curved' parts on Bricklink as these would look less bulky or is there away of defining a route without existing track pieces and using a remote control to move the vehicle? I would also prefer to use regular wheels than train wheels

Thought I would ask here first before spending lots to buy different parts as the AFOL community are usually full of ideas!

Edited by lifeinplastic

You could use the idea of the Faller driving system and make it a road train?!

Is this what you mean? This with the existing track pieces and a lot of snotted slopes.

36052267671_7347e41511_b.jpg

Thank you for the above suggestions folks. I'm aiming to keep it 'purist' and would like to be able to control the train so will probably start with an attempt at tiling and somehow trying to find a way of covering up the jagged edges. One idea I had was to put the track 'below ground' and have a single pin protruding along the route. I can then use the depth as well for animal enclosures.