Bregir

MRCA II Adventure

Adventure MRCA form

MRCA II Adventure (incl. Expeditions and Exploration)

Apart from the ordinary MRCA, in which you trade, patrol the seas, or go prey on the innocent, there is an alternative, the adventure MRCA! The adventure MRCA allows you a more story driven approach, but also requires more of you in the form of builds. (You can start your first adventure with any MRCA, but once you have started the first one you can only start a new one every 3 months, but only if you do not have any running adventures for which you are lead adventurer. They will have to be ended first. You can always join others in their Adventures.)

36314150064_60e4563d31_c.jpg

The adventure MRCA allows you to go on a personal quest, to explore the world, seek treasures, find lost civilisations, make new allies, hunt down notorious pirates, arrange expeditions to unknown lands, or whatever your heart desires! During the course of your adventure, you will be faced with a number of choices and events from the gamemasters, which will affect the outcome. Some choices will require investment of influence points or dubloons, while others will be free. Similar to the other MRCA actions, you will receive a monetary reward for your efforts, and just like the other MRCA actions, you will face risks.

Just like the regular MRCA, you wil need a vessel (or troops, if it is only a land adventure. You can also combine both), and just like the regular MRCA, you will incur upkeep, and of course, you can only use your vessel(or your troops) once every MRCA (Trade or adventure, or not at all, but not for both). Also note that troops used in the MRCA must be represented in a build, just like ships. (Does not need to be the full unit.)

How it works

First, the organiser (lead adventurer) must create a topic for the expedition with a build to kick off the mission (all following builds related to the adventure will be posted in this thread). Second, you (as lead adventurer) set up your mission with the Adventure MRCA set up form, and sign up the vessel(s) (and troops) for the mission. (For fleets more than 5 ships, the fleet rules apply) You may also bring along money, which may help you in your endeavours. (These will be deducted from the account of the lead adventurer, who will manage the treasury and profit of the expedition.) (NB: If you are continuing an existing adventure, some of the fields need not be filled again.)

Depending on the resources committed, you will face different options (and challenges), and different levels of rewards. If you send a trade ship, you will be hard-pressed if under attack, while a warship will be unable to bring back much treasure. A rowboat might get you over dangerous shoals, but a Galleon will get you far across the seas. If you do not bring along money, bribes, purchases (supplies, mercenaries, etc.) and similar will not be possible. In short, stats matter.

As the MRCA is rolled, you will recieve an outcome, and typically a choice of up to 4 different options. (In certain cases, the outcome might be secret, and you will receive it in a PM with only a headline or similar.)

1. Break off mission
    If you do not wish to continue the adventure, or have reached your goal, you can break off the mission.
  2. Safe choice
    The prudent choice. Unlikely to lead to catastrophic failure, but also unlikely to yield significant success later.
  3. Risky choice
    Make a bold move, take a chance. As the name suggests, this will be be risky, but the possible rewards are large too.
  4. Well-planned choice
    Sometimes, taking the extra effort will allow you to combine the prudence of the safe choice, with the possible rewards of the risky choice. This comes with a cost, typically represented by an outlay in PIPs, higher building effort, or similar.

Before you can cash in your reward, or progress to the next turn, you must post a MRCA build in the expedition topic continuing the story of the adventure, such as the outcome of the MRCA or making one of the options. If you continue your story, gamemasters will try to play along with the story you tell with your builds. It must be clear from the build what option you select. (All participants must submit a build each turn, and may take different options, although that may lead to very different outcomes, and the expedition being broken up) All builds related to an adventure is to be posted in a topic dedicated to that adventure (the expedition topic), rather than as separate topics. This is to make it easier for the gamemasters, and to help keep the story coherent.

Each (MRCA) turn, each participant must submit a build for the mission. Otherwise, the story cannot progress, and you cannot cash in your reward. Rewards will go to the organiser, who may then divy them up. (If one participant does not submit a build, his contributions will be left out)

Note: If your mission is one of exploration, you will need to do at least three consecutive missions to achieve successful outcome. And in any case, your vessels will need sufficient range and time to reach new lands, if there are any in the direction you are traveling. Most of all, though. you need persistence and good fortune.

MRCA II Adventure Setup form

Lead adventurer: [Enter the Eurobricks name for the lead adventurer]

Example 1: "Garmadon"

Example 2: "Captain Genaro"

Divergence: Wide/Narrow [Decide how far from your storyline the gamemasters can go. Pick narrow if you want a more straightforward experience, where your own story will progress faster. Pick wide if you are ready for an adventure]

Link to Adventure topic: [Link to relevant topic in BoBS where all builds related to the adventure is posted]

Adventure Selection: [Pick whether you are starting a new adventure or continuing an existing one.]

Mission name: [Enter a name for your mission]

Example 1: "Altonian Envoy"

Example 2: "Northern Exploration"

Route: [Write a description of the route, destination, or direction of your expedition. Where will it go?]

Example 1: "Sailing from Terreli to the Altonian capital"

Example 2: "North from Stormhaven"

Purpose: [Write a story hook for the game masters to work with]

Example 1: "Going to Altonia to discuss a trade-agreement"

Example 2: "Explore the waters north of Stormhaven"

Vessels:

Troops:

Commander: [If more than 5 vessels are joining in the expedition, normal fleet rules apply and you will need a commander. Put in his name.]

Adventure treasury: [The amount of dbs taken along for the expedition. Please note that these may be lost partly or completely if the expedition goes awry! ]

How the court will manage it:

Entries to the adventure MRCA will be available in a public link (to all court members). Each month, a team of two court members sign up (preferably in advance) to game master the adventure MRCA's. Each mission will need a set of choices (general choices, to leave creative license) along the lines detailed above. Rewards should be balanced with the normal MRCA and depend on the choices made. The risk for adventure missions should be similar to the MRCA, but if the vessel is lost, it should happen in a way that the story can progress in some way. For exploration missions, monetary rewards should be rarer, as the discovery is a reward in itself.

The end

Question and comments in this thread are welcome.

FAQ:

Can my MRCA builds be licensed?
If the build qualifies, it can be used as any other build. (property, build, duel, etc.)

Can Trade Companies or Factions go on or contribute to adventures?
Yes, but the same rules apply that a build must be submitted for the faction or TC.

I'm a little short on time but would like to continue my adventure this turn, what do I do?
If you already have at least one build posted, fill out the paperwork before the deadline and mention in the MRCA deadline topic that you'll be a little late with your builds. We may refuse this extension, so if you can, ask early!

So, did you like spoil something, or did the rules change again. These rules looked pretty cool though...

19 hours ago, Mesabi said:

So, did you like spoil something, or did the rules change again. These rules looked pretty cool though...

Its a clever marketing strategy... ;)

Stop posting replies to this post! I am too curious not to check. 

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

Its a clever marketing strategy... ;)

It is.

Edited by Sir Stig

24 minutes ago, Sir Stig said:

Stop posting replies to this post! I am too curious not to check. 

It is.

He says while replying to this post :D

And so the rules have been published. We will announce deadlines later.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread.

This is great! So is the trade MCRA just the same as the old MCRA, with the upkeep thing? Or did I read something wrong?

Just now, Mesabi said:

This is great! So is the trade MCRA just the same as the old MCRA, with the upkeep thing? Or did I read something wrong?

It has been updated significantly, and will be published soon.

Just now, Legostone said:

Posted this in the wrong place. oops :D

Another clever marketing strategy... Looks good ;)

33 minutes ago, Sir Stig said:

Another clever marketing strategy... Looks good ;)

Well, don't worry, they will be back soon, very soon :D

That comes from having two threads with the same title open in two tabs...

Edit: @Sir Stig Well, the first one of the two is back already ;) It'll take a little bit longer for the other one to appear :D

Edited by Legostone

So how much will the range stat fit into the Adventure MCRA? Like, can I just go anywhere, or will I be limited to my ship's range stat?

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

So how much will the range stat fit into the Adventure MCRA? Like, can I just go anywhere, or will I be limited to my ship's range stat?

You will be limited. All stats matter, although, this being story driven, not quite as rigidly as for the trade MRCA.

9 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Check out the About Ships page (Master Index).  I was wondering the same thing, but all that the stats do is explained there (took me a while to find it though!).

Edit: oh, by the way, it's you can travel your range + 1 zone, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Kai NRG

40 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Check out the About Ships page (Master Index).  I was wondering the same thing, but all that the stats do is explained there (took me a while to find it though!).

Edit: oh, by the way, it's you can travel your range + 1 zone, if I recall correctly.

You are right, Kai, although for the adventure MRCA the range might be applied slightly more liberally, the whole setup being less rigid. :)

Just now, TitusV said:

O my, this looks like such an amazing feature! Great job, gamemasters :thumbup: 

Come try it out! :D

Dear all,

We expect to be making some adjustments to how you sign up for the adventure MRCA (to reduce the number of form entries needed), and will keep you posted.

Please note that each adventure should have one topic, where all related builds from all participants are posted. This is to give gamemasters a reasonable chance to keep overview, and to help you all tell your stories in a coherent way. (As we saw with the Malto Peace talks, builds and comments can go hand in hand in the same thread.)

Also, if you plan on participating, you may start on your initial build, as we hope to run both trade and adventure MRCA as soon as possible. Consider yourselves informed. :)

Best regards

Bregir

On 18-9-2017 at 5:01 PM, Bregir said:

Come try it out! :D

You ask, I serve! :wink: 

So, I have a couple questions about the rules, in relation to multiple person adventures.

So first, say me and a guy are going on an adventure. Is one form filled out, one for each individual, just one by the lead adventurer?

Second, how does this relate to when a story event happens? Do we each get a separate event, or the same. And if we get the same, do we just collaborate for a build, or tell our side of what happens, or is that our choice?

Finally, will we have the choice to separate our adventures at any time, or only when the adventure ends?

43 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

So first, say me and a guy are going on an adventure. Is one form filled out, one for each individual, just one by the lead adventurer?

Just by the lead adventurer.

44 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Second, how does this relate to when a story event happens? Do we each get a separate event, or the same. And if we get the same, do we just collaborate for a build, or tell our side of what happens, or is that our choice?

Each adventure will get an outcome. Sometimes different participants may face different choices, but as a general rule, I expect the expedition to face its challenge as a unit.

Each of you will still have to contribute a build, to progress the story, but how you do it (your options are good examples) is up to you. It is a very free form adventure.

46 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Finally, will we have the choice to separate our adventures at any time, or only when the adventure ends?

Lets say Maxim and you sail together south, but after the first month, Maxim has met his goal, but you will go on. Then one of you (the lead adventurer) will continue the adventure with his ships, while the other will set up a new adventure starting from there.

I hope this helps - also, please keep in mind that this is (almost) as new to us as it is to you guys - and my answers here are somewhat preliminary! ;)

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

Lets say Maxim and you sail together south, but after the first month, Maxim has met his goal, but you will go on. Then one of you (the lead adventurer) will continue the adventure with his ships, while the other will set up a new adventure starting from there.

The other sets up the all-inspiring homeward bound journey, where you either are ship wrecked by sirens and have to feed your crew to a cyclops, or you are joined by two dogs and a cat for some crazy hi-jinks. Those are the only two options after an adventure, sorry.

Ok, since this is where fishing voyages will fall, how would I write up the route for a fishing expedition off the north coast of Oleon? I presume there are ports there and that I don't need to sail up and around the northeastern horn of the continent, but either way there are no zones there to plot distances.  I was figuring on some range 0/range 1 boats going offshore and back, nothing fancy.

4 hours ago, The Sarge said:

Ok, since this is where fishing voyages will fall, how would I write up the route for a fishing expedition off the north coast of Oleon? I presume there are ports there and that I don't need to sail up and around the northeastern horn of the continent, but either way there are no zones there to plot distances.  I was figuring on some range 0/range 1 boats going offshore and back, nothing fancy.

As simple as that, really - just describe in a few words where you are going.

Remember, though, that the adventure MRCA requires builds as detailed in the rules, but I would expect the rewards to reflect that... ;)

You can send out multiple vessels in the same mission, without requiring additional builds.

The alternative for the small boats would be short range trading, if you don't have the time for the builds, but that wont be nearly as interesting, I suspect :)