Sign in to follow this  
Arkeeos

Train pieces

Hello,

I'm about to start making lego trains as soon as i have made the order for the essential pieces, but what are all of the train pieces that i need. like should i get sealed magnets or unsealed magnets, i don't know the difference. I'm pretty sure ill need alot of round pieces for the roofs and whatnot. I'm going the power functions route as the 9v train motors are very expensive as well as the rails. if anyone could help me out that would be great.

Well Arkeeos, first: welcome to Eurobricks. I suggest you first WIP up something in LEGO digital designer, then you can see what you need.

Welcome Arkeeos. I'm only about 6 months into the Lego train hobbie myself, so I'll lend a hand. Others are far more knowledgeable, but I'm happy to share my thoughts. 

I, too, went power functions. The older power styles are cool, but more expensive since they are no longer being produced. I started by buying an official Lego set (60052). It was a great way to begin to see how basic trains are made. In our words, it's a nice intro to the necessary parts. It's also a cheap way to get started. Buying the power functions, track, and bricks separate will run you more money than a basic starter set. However, don't pay full price. I bought mine for $135 US. Search around online and find a sale. I've seen each of the three current train sets for under $150 US, and the 60051 for below $100!!

You asked about magnets. Lego is currently using sealed magnets. These are very similar to the older unsealed magnets, but just coated in plastic. I guess it keeps them from chipping? Either way, they are pretty interchangeable. I have both sealed and unsealed and they work together fine. 

I bought my steam engine wheels from Big Ben Bricks. He only sells wheels, but has a great selection of you want to MOC steam engines. You should also check out bricklink. The stores there sell EVERYTHING Lego related. It can be a bit overwhelming at first and the assumption is you know what you want, but as you get more comfortable with it, it will be indispensable. 

Hope this helps somewhat. If you have other specific questions, just ask away. I, or someone else, will answer you. 

21 hours ago, LordFattee said:

You asked about magnets. Lego is currently using sealed magnets. These are very similar to the older unsealed magnets, but just coated in plastic. I guess it keeps them from chipping? Either way, they are pretty interchangeable. I have both sealed and unsealed and they work together fine.

Hi,

they sealed the magnets in order to increase safety according to infants: The magnets of the old design could be removed from their housings by some force. Kids could ingest them - baaaad magnets. Therefore, LEGO sealed them in plastic. If you are a grownup builder, and no small child is around your models, just choose the type that fits best according to the optical and technical needs of your design.

Xris

On 27/08/2017 at 6:36 PM, LordFattee said:

I, too, went power functions. The older power styles are cool, but more expensive since they are no longer being produced. I started by buying an official Lego set (60052). It was a great way to begin to see how basic trains are made. In our words, it's a nice intro to the necessary parts. It's also a cheap way to get started. Buying the power functions, track, and bricks separate will run you more money than a basic starter set. However, don't pay full price. I bought mine for $135 US. Search around online and find a sale. I've seen each of the three current train sets for under $150 US, and the 60051 for below $100!!

I agree. I think the easiest way to get onto LEGO trains is to start with what is widely available. I don't know if getting all the "essential" pieces separately would work if you don't really know what you want. And using the current systems avoids having to search for and pay too much for parts. With the magnets. Get the cheapest, so the current ones, if you want to use them. So it is good that you choose for PF now. 9V is getting more expensive by the day and eventually not a lot will be available if at all. It would be a huge investment these days to start with that.

And as @JopieK said. Before you start of buying parts that may be useful, try LDD (LEGO Digital Designer), so you see what part you need.

Edited by Man with a hat