Sign in to follow this  
nerdsforprez

Technic's 40th Anniversary - What are YOU going to do - Anything special?

So we have a thread where one can speculate what Lego will do for the 40th Anniversary of Technic……and we have one (or two) for the 40th Anniversary Chassis.....

but my question is what YOU… personally, (if anything) will do to celebrate 40 years of Technic.  Anything special?  Going back to any favorite set/build?

I still consider myself somewhat new to Technic.  As a kid I was into Space, City and Castle themes, but never once owned a Technic set.  Fast forward some 20 years, where I didn’t even know Lego was a thing for adults, and when school ended I re-found my Lego hobby. Only this time it was not in any of the themes I loved as a kid, but in Technic.

8070 was my first set back, and I loved it.  But really, not only was it my first set back, it my first Technic set, period, so I really did not know any better.  Since I have been back, 42009 has been my favorite set.  Since my return I have built up a healthy collection, and therefore don’t buy many sets anymore, so I don’t have much opinion on sets in the last year (last set I bought was the Claas).   But have to say, in the last five years or so, 42009 has been my favorite Technic set released. 

So, for the 40th anniversary for Technic I pulled my set off the shelf.  Or should I say sets, three to be exact.  The Grove thread had not started when I begin my MOC, and therefore didn’t have it to go off of.  Essentially, I patterned the build off the Liebherr 1500 8.1 mobile crane.  8 axles, 6 steered and two driven.   Used three 42009 sets, other pieces, for a total of what I estimate around 5,000 pieces.  This is a project that I did a long time ago, as soon as 42009 was released.  Although I have presented and played around alot with the lifting capabilities of the crane I have not presented other aspects or tested the driving, etc.  It was dusty, not functioning, and needed quite a bit of work.  I added some aesthetics, redid the mechanics and some of the electrical components (batteries corroded).  The drive and steering had never been fully tested, though the boom and superstructure had, and I therefore set to making a little video of the whole MOC.   Fun little project for Technic’s birthday, thought there would be no better way to celebrate it than re-live my favorite set (to date).  Enjoy the video!

Edited by nerdsforprez

Wow! That's a great crane. What an awesome way to celebrate the anniversary!

I actually do have a project in mind to celebrate for after TC12, The DJI Inspire 2. 

Great video and awesome crane!

I did something not quite as big to celebrate the 40th anniversary:

I have not done anything with my Technic parts since TC11, maybe I will start a project soon, not necessarily to celebrate the 40 year anniversary.  

Since the 40th anniversary year is more than half over, I doubt I will do more. I built he 40th anniversary Chassis. I built three versions of the BMW, the main and alternate models and Ghorl666s special BMW and I bought several of the 40th anniversary small sets.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Thanks for the responses everyone.  It appears that TC12 is a great way for everyone to celebrate Technic's Anniversary. Although admittedly, I missed out on any sets earlier than the 8070, I have done a little research trying to learn the history of sets and piece evolution.  I did also pick up the Super Street Sensation a long time ago from someone, really my only Official Lego Set build with many studded beams.  So much different a build than studless builds. 

Blakbird's site has been especially helpful.  It is interesting to learn about changes in pieces.  Not sure they are better or worse..... probably pros and cons, just all a matter of what you are building and your need.  I do think that it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall in the board rooms when such changes were discussed.   

This year I have nice vacation at sea, with my family (wife and 2 kids), and also one extra suitcase with 2 LEGO models and full set of filming equipment, spare gears, batteries, wheels and so on...

So my vacation far from home was like "driving to the different places of island with my large suitcase". I called it "40th anniversary run"

20482728_229476324242896_67452168853457420478889_504791386535251_169196725060658

Edited by rm8

Nothing in particular will be done especially for the 40th Anniversary... But I do have a special project that is currently on pause while I compete in TC12. After the contest is over and I dismantle my entry, I will resume work on my Nomad.

It seems that I will celebrate the anniversary by not building anything this year and possibly quitting the whole hobby.

I started my own LEGO Technic design company this year. I'd like to think it is pure coincidence that it coincides with the 40 year anniversary. But who knows, maybe it will become something that will grow into something worth celebrating as well :laugh:

I allready did - I got prize (for Runner up) from Rebrick in BMW future motorcycle contest :wink:

I'm still planning to buy Porsche as some delayed present for my 40 years.

13 hours ago, Lipko said:

It seems that I will celebrate the anniversary by not building anything this year and possibly quitting the whole hobby.

For me it is not LEGO dedicated, but most probably I put also ON-HOLD on this hobby and sell some stuff. I just don't feel the urge of build for long... but maybe I disassemble my 42043 and will rebuild it - as the best Technic set to date (for me) - or in winter time I will finish my projects. Still, I will keep an eye on the forum.

Edited by agrof

13 hours ago, rm8 said:

This year I have nice vacation at sea, with my family (wife and 2 kids), and also one extra suitcase with 2 LEGO models and full set of filming equipment, spare gears, batteries, wheels and so on...

So my vacation far from home was like "driving to the different places of island with my large suitcase". I called it "40th anniversary run"

13 hours ago, Lipko said:

Just now, agrof said:

For me it is not LEGO dedicated, but most probably I put also ON-HOLD on this hobby and sell some stuff. I just don't feel the urge of build for long... but maybe I disassemble my 42043 and will rebuild it - as the best Technic set to date (for me) - or in winter time I will finish my projects. Still, I will keep an eye on the forum.

Surely we are getting responses from all ends of the spectrum.  One is taking Lego on their vacation, one doesn't want to build at all, and another is kinds like .... meh....:laugh:

Since I have serius infection last two year I'll stick to it for a while to make it propper. My infection does not have a Latin name but German - UNiversal MOtor Gerät. So for aniversary I'll make short wheelbase version of mid range model U423 and when finished will be presented here on Eurobricks portal as separate topic. I was planing to cure myself from this infection at the end of this year, but we will see...:laugh:

I will probably rebuild my first Technic set, 8047 just for display. I will probably add a 40th anniversary brick inside. 

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Well, it's not enough?:laugh:

I'm working even on a second one for this year, despite it will be smaller and less complicated than the aforementioned. I hope to finish it in time!:grin: