Question: What do you get, when you cross a tank, with a banana, a scorpion, a V8 engine, and a bunch of stud-shooters?

Answer: The Banana Scorpion! :grin:

800x600.jpg

Color scheme: Yellow, with some black and grey.

Driver: A Big Giant Banana-eating Tiger! :laugh: (this one)

Powered Functions:

• Drive: Tank tracks - powered by 2x M-motors. (also used for steering)
  • Steering: Tank type skid steering.
  • Engine: A massive V8 - powered by a high speed motor.
  • Wacky function 1: Lifting hull mechanism - powered by M-motor.
  • Wacky function 2: High speed spinning sweeper - powered via V8.
  • Wacky function 3: The ability to tank-wheelie!!! :tongue: (with some help...)

Manual Functions: (aka: weapons)

• Cannon: A giant cannon mounted on the end of the adjustable scorpion tail.
  • Stud-shooters: Front: 2x six-round, and 2x single-round - Rear: 4x single-round.
  • Spring-shooters: 2x rear-mounted. (can be triggered by driver)

800x600.jpg

The story of how The Banana Scorpion was built:

Spoiler

Days 1-10: Thinking of, then discarding many ideas. (including a banana monster truck, a jet powered brick, and a Yeti-mobile)

Day 11: I finally know the perfect thing to make - a banana tank!

Day 12: Built a test for the suspension, created WIP topic.

1.JPG

Days 13-15: Built and tried multiple types of suspension, which none of them were right for the size of tank I'm building. (including torsion bars - which were too wide - and standard tank suspension using shock absorbers - which was too long/tall)

Day 16: I abandoned the suspension after finding it was too difficult, and because had an idea of a much wackier function.

Day 17: Built a prototype of my idea, which worked, then built a more refined version.

2.JPG

Days 18-20: Improving scissor mechanism, trying to work out how to attach LA.

Day 21: I realized 1 LA wouldn't be strong enough, so started trying to figure out how to fit 2 LA's in such a small space.

Day 22: I worked out how to power 2 LA's with a L-motor.

4.JPG

Days 23-29: I made very little progress, as I had quite a lot of distractions...

Day 30: I decided it was time to start building again, and I made a fairly major design change: get rid of the LA's and motor, and save some space! (which means I completely removed the mechanism shown above, and making the lifting function manual)

Day 31: I made even more design changes (of the better kind), and changed the name accordingly. Made the concept drawing:

640x542.jpg

Day 32: Brickstormed some ideas for the revised lifting mechanism, the mouth (with not much success), and the tail.

Day 33: Put together the V10 engine, then tested it, and made a video of it. (because of it's awesome sound!)

Day 34: I realized that the engine was too long to fit in the space I had, so I changed the design, and also added two more cylinders!

5.JPG

Day 35: Decided to cover the outside of the tracks - to make them look better.

6.JPG

Day 36: Built the other side of the tank. (just a mirror of what I had already built)

7.JPG

Days 37+38: I started work on the motorized lifting mechanism again (it seems to work quite well!), and made a short video of it (without tank attached).

Day 39: More work on lifting mechanism - building the hull around it, fitting it between the tracks.

Day 40: Built scorpion tail (with cannon attached!), some more work on tank hull and engine. (which got shrunk back to V10 again)

8.JPG

Day 41: I put all the major components together (tracks, lift mechanism, engine, and tail), to see how they fitted together.

9.JPG

Day 42-45: Completely rebuilt hull, extended the whole tank by two studs and shrunk the engine down to V8 so I could fit in the PF receivers.

Day 46: I started to shape the hull with some slopes - to make it more like a banana, added some stud-shooters. 

10.JPG

Day 47: I needed some parts, so I put in a Bricklink order.

Day 48: I started looking for a new driver, and found one in the form of a Tiger! (this one)

Days 49-52: Continued shaping the hull, built a spot for the driver, and added even more stud-shooters!

Day 53: I decided that I needed another wacky function, and I realized that I could use the V8 to power it, and managed to squeeze in a small spinning sweeper.

Day 54: My Bricklink order finally arrived, so I was able to finish the shaping of the hull, and rebuild the tracks - which meant I was finished building! And with that done, I took some photos...

11.jpg

Day 55: Filmed the videos of all the functions, and started editing them - including the removal of these two bloopers!

Day 56: More editing of the video...

Day 57: Finished the video, and uploaded it:

Day 58: Posted in entry topic - I'm finally done!!! :sweet:

Edited by mocbuild101

1 minute ago, mocbuild101 said:

Functions:

• Drive: 2x M-motors. (also used for steering)
  • Steering: Tank type skid steering.

Your idea sounds and good and crazy but i would recommend you to ask @Jim if the skid steering is acceptable for the contest. 

5 hours ago, Superkoala said:

but i would recommend you to ask @Jim if the skid steering is acceptable for the contest. 

Agreed, but I think it is... (and I really hope so, because if it's not, I will have to change my idea again! :cry_sad:)

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, Jim said:

7: My Wacky needs to be able to steer. What do you mean by that?
Your vehicle needs to have functionality to change direction, so there needs to be a steering mechanism.

Edited by mocbuild101

55 minutes ago, Superkoala said:

technically this is a tank with a steering wheel

That's great for plan B!

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps offer him a banana discount :roflmao:

I think the bananas might be a bit too chewy... :tongue:

You probably have natural banana and not genetically modified :wink:

When we discouss about modifications, perhaps simple steering modification would be enough. But banana tank is original idea. At the first I thought it is all about tank that uses banana as munition :roflmao:

Just now, I_Igor said:

At the first I thought it is all about tank that uses banana as munition

Well I do have something like that in mind for one of my weapons, but not exactly... :smug:

13 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Well I do have something like that in mind for one of my weapons, but not exactly... :smug:

...imagine if you have guests with appetite for bananas - it would be expensive banana party :laugh:

1 hour ago, Superkoala said:

technically this is a tank with a steering wheel 

LOL! I did a half track quite recently, would be a great idea.

Would be fitting for a cannon of some sort :3

Just now, MattL600 said:

Would be fitting for a cannon of some sort :3

That's what I meant by what I said in the comment above, and it will have some very strange ammunition! (not bananas)

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

That's what I meant by what I said in the comment above, and it will have some very strange ammunition! (not bananas)

A super long poking stick? :laugh:

16 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

you should leave it.

I'm going to stick with the normal tank design. unless @Jim does't like it, which then I would change to plan B - which is a half-track.

Edited by mocbuild101

17 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

I'm going to stick with the normal tank design, unless @Jim does't like it, which then I would change to plan B - which is a half-track.

Aha you have an A model and B model - just like typical LEGO set :wink:

22 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

I'm going to stick with the normal tank design, unless @Jim does't like it, which then I would change to plan B - which is a half-track.

I checked the rules, it is allowed.

16 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Aha you have an A model and B model - just like typical LEGO set :wink:

No, I have one model - which is what my original idea was, and I am currently building.

16 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I checked the rules, it is allowed.

I heard you the first time... I just wanted @Jim to confirm it. (so I will PM him, and end this debate!) Done!

Edit: @Jim has confirmed that it is allowed! :grin: (so there's no need for plan B!)

Edited by mocbuild101

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

@Jim

I heard you the first time... I just wanted @Jim to confirm it. (so I will PM him, and end this debate!)

Ok, I wasn't sure.

Okay, update time...

I'm sorry about the lack of (any) updates, but I had some trouble making the right suspension...

Days 13-15: Built and tried multiple types of suspension, which none of them were right for the size of tank I'm building. (including torsion bars - which were too wide - and standard tank suspension using shock absorbers - which was too long/tall)

Day 16: I abandoned the suspension after finding it was too difficult, and because had an idea of a much wackier function.

Day 17 (today): Built a prototype of my idea, which worked, then built a more refined version, which you can see below. (but can you guess what it does? :smug:)

2.JPG

Which means... This is what I have built so far:

3.JPG

I know, not much... :sceptic:

Edited by mocbuild101

8 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

There is no suspension anymore... only LA's :wink:

I thought that black liftarms are connected to shock(s) from the back side.

I can see that you have small battery box and nothing more...:sceptic:

On 8/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, mocbuild101 said:

Wacky function: You will have to wait for that...

Some banana shooter ...

17 hours ago, Jurss said:

Some banana shooter ...

I have suggested few days ago but munition would be rather expensive :laugh:

Edited by I_Igor

13 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I can see that you have small battery box and nothing more...

Yet...

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

Some banana shooter ...

I decided not to make that, as it's way too obvious... But I probably will add a cannon of some sort.