Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

AFOL social group?

I have been looking for an AFOL social group. Not a LUG. I tried a LUG and I guess LUGs are service clubs to host and attend children’s activities. Children are great, but I am looking for adults with whom to share my passion of LEGO collecting and building.

Not a club, just a group of adults who get together every once in awhile to share LEGO experiences.

Any idea where to find such group in Southern California? 

Anybody here live in Southern California interested in starting something like this?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

At least in Germany I know they have quite some AFOL social groups, they drink beer there so I doubt that they let children attend ;)

It depends on the LUG.  Some LUGs are 18+, no children permitted at meetings. Some have builders to collectors and everyone in between as members. Others may be more specialized to certain types of AFOLs and themes.   Public events are a requirement to maintain RLUG status with LEGO but it is not a requirement to be a LUG or social group. 

Adult Night at the LEGO Discovery Centers is a nice time to hang out and chill with your LUG members without screaming kids around.  :wink:  

34 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

It depends on the LUG.  Some LUGs are 18+, no children permitted at meetings. Some have builders to collectors and everyone in between as members. Others may be more specialized to certain types of AFOLs and themes.   Public events are a requirement to maintain RLUG status with LEGO but it is not a requirement to be a LUG or social group. 

Adult Night at the LEGO Discovery Centers is a nice time to hang out and chill with your LUG members without screaming kids around.  :wink:  

@JopieK, @dr_spock, Thanks for the replies.

The LUG I was involved in was supposed to be an 18+, but some folks just thought they "had" to bring their children, and children at an adult meeting change the whole character of the meeting. The LUG was just getting started, trying to get RLUG status and several of them seemed more concerned with getting free LEGO than anything else. Also LUGBULK seemed to be a big deal with some as well. Also the events were always children's events. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this, it was just not what I wanted out of a LEGO focused group. 

The German groups seem more what I am interested in, although I don't drink, but as long as no one gets stupid drunk, drinking is OK.

I am really surprised that there are not at least some EB members from So. Cal.  Maybe there are, maybe they are but just not interested in an AFOL social club. Oh, well...

i guess I will just keep looking.

Andy D

The LEGO Ambassador Network has a Community Locator.  https://lan.lego.com/clubs/overview/

I think it only allows you to filter down to the North America level.   Looks like they use the same forum software as Eurobricks.  :laugh:

Good luck finding a group.

12 hours ago, dr_spock said:

The LEGO Ambassador Network has a Community Locator.  https://lan.lego.com/clubs/overview/

I think it only allows you to filter down to the North America level.   Looks like they use the same forum software as Eurobricks.  :laugh:

Good luck finding a group.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Andy D

Andy. i feel your pain.  closest i've found a lug is 2 hrs away (bit too far atm for me) and little luck assembing a group locally as all i've found are scalper types.

Spock. never realised you were from the TO area.