Rick

10259 Winter Village Station

Thank you so much Lego!!

This is brilliant. Ever since the Lego North Pole set came out and I've been adding bits and pieces to my "Winter Village" to make a "North Pole" Theme Park. I've added the Christmas Market and replaced all the workers with Santa's Elves; I also bought the Winter Toy Shop set and use the Tree as the centre piece of the entire theme park. With the addition of the Train and this train station, I'm going to make it a transportation method to the north pole. I may add a couple of things here and there and give off a Polar Express vibe.

I cannot wait!!

To me, this is one of the best train stations they've released the past couple of years. It has a lot of new parts that can be used for other train related MOC's. The station goes extremely well with last years X-mas train, but I don't see any of the recent CITY trains having a stop at it...

Time to get the My Own Train collection out, or even better, some of those 12V steamers from the '80s. Just imagine, 7750 stopping at this station :o.

Not happy with the price hike specifically for the UK/ Is it some kind of Brexit punishment? Have asked Lego to explain.

Overall I like it. I don't like the green wall with window, it looks empty and too basic. 

I love this set, and will definitely be getting it to go with the train.  

The station itself is a good size, fitting on two straights (so the other two, with the crossing, can make a complete loop with the track from the train), and it looks like the kind of small train station you find in a little village.  There are some lovely details - did you see on the designer video, the timetable for trains from Tiletown and Bricksberg, going to "the North Pole"? :grin: 

The station interior is a bit lacking though.  Sure the coffee shop is nice, and the ticket booth looks great from both sides, but I can't help feeling there should be a little chimney and a stove in place of the coffee dispenser  (or maybe next to it?).  The counter could also do with being beefed up, it looks a little half-hearted.

The bus, though, is fabulous and should look great alongside the likes of the van from the post office.

Hats off to LEGO for providing us train fans a station for our winter villages.  I love it!  I esp. like the corner tower design and the new printed clock piece; perfect addition for a set of this variety.  This is a must buy for me and I would highly recommend for anyone who purchased the last Christmas Train.  Thanks for sharing the news here, Rick.  Very cool!

Every time I think I have everything for this year, they come with more. I love this set and it will fit nicely with the winter train from last year.

Thank you very much for the press release, Rick! :classic:

I have to say that this set is for sure not the best one of all WV sets so far, but all in all it's a very nice set which is worth buying it! :wub:

Cons:

- building looks a bit too small

- both counters inside are too low

- only five minifigs

- no new torso

- no waiting area with seats inside

- not really an interior to the attic

- no attic in the tower

- no trackside structures like a water tower etc. (would have been much better than the senseless railway crossing)

Pros:

+ finally a new WV building

+ fits very well in the WV and goes even very well with all previous WV buildings

+ corner building

+ great exterior design

+ ticket stand with possibility to give tickets from the in- to the outside

+ nice looking bus

+ detailed interior

+ coffee shop as nice interior addition

+ timetable in- and outside

+ canopied bench outside

I've always had fondness or the Winter Villiage sets, and this is a nice addition, I agree it could have been a little bigger, I really struggling to see more than £49.99 for this set, and there is no chance it's going to come down in price, do I guess it's just a case of you want it, you have to pay the price.

I've been calling for a WV train station for a little while now before the confirmation and announcement of this set, since it seemed a likely possibility as a companion to last year's holiday train. But still, I was hoping such a set could have at least came with a small holiday themed tram or trolley, simply so it could also be a standalone set.

Now finally looking at the set, to me, it really does look too incomplete without any smaller rail transport. Yes, I do like the bus, but it did need some small rail transport of some type. 

Just my two cents. :def_shrug:

Really like the set! It is after all a train station for a village and not a city, so size wise it great as well!

I'm glade to be able to add this too the two holiday trains I have and expand the village accordingly this will make it set #10

plus all the small stuff, I'm already working on a huge layout with will be set up in the attic...

35962944273_50ca61066f_c.jpg

5 hours ago, (1)Stein said:

Really like the set! It is after all a train station for a village and not a city, so size wise it great as well!

I'm glade to be able to add this too the two holiday trains I have and expand the village accordingly this will make it set #10

plus all the small stuff, I'm already working on a huge layout with will be set up in the attic...

Awesome, I hope you'll share it! :classic:

On 23/08/2017 at 1:46 PM, Jay66 said:

Not happy with the price hike specifically for the UK/ Is it some kind of Brexit punishment? Have asked Lego to explain.

Likely they'll blame the 'falling/floundering' pound to it, which is bs because it's actually not at all. Or they're future proofing towards the unknown. Which again is bs because just look at the price difference of other new sets. Its erratic and inconsistent. I think it's more likely they have seen sales of WV sets do extremely well in the uk and see it as a licence to print money and push the price up further knowing we will likely still pay for it. 

Thankfully I'm in a position I can buy it from the American website and enjoy our strong pound against the dollar exchange rate :thumbup:

Hmmmmm......     It seems neither that great nor that bad to me.  The bus is nice, and it does fit in well with the train.  Without providing another vehicle for the tracks like a small trolley or even a handcar, it does not make much sense to buy it unless you bought the train as well.  It does look small for an $80 set.  Another potential weakness--the rail crossing and the station access needs 3 of those straight tracks.  The train set used only curved tracks to make a circle.  Therefore, if you use three or four straight tracks to accommodate the crossing and station platform, you are going to have to find 3 our 4 more to balance out the other side in order to maintain the loop.  No problem if you already have other tracks.  But if the train was your only other railroad purchase, you are going to be unable to complete that layout.  

On 23/08/2017 at 11:16 AM, Jay66 said:

Not a "punishment", just a consequence of the value drop of the £ compared to other currencies, DKK in this case: Lego wants to get the same amount of DKK as before, so if the £ has a lower value than before, they need to ask more £ to get their DKK ;)

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=DKK&view=2Y

1 hour ago, antp said:

Not a "punishment", just a consequence of the value drop of the £ compared to other currencies, DKK in this case: Lego wants to get the same amount of DKK as before, so if the £ has a lower value than before, they need to ask more £ to get their DKK ;)

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=DKK&view=2Y

Even taking the drop in the £ into account, it is a ridiculous price hike. We are paying £75 (rounded) which equates to 81 Euros. Germany and Belgium are paying just 70 Euros (again, rounded). Why do we have to pay 11 Euros more? This is not peanuts. It is quite ridiculous. There are no extra fees put on imported goods from either Sweden or the EU.  The UK Vat is 20%. German Vat is 19%. There is no excuse.

1 hour ago, Jay66 said:

Even taking the drop in the £ into account, it is a ridiculous price hike. We are paying £75 (rounded) which equates to 81 Euros. Germany and Belgium are paying just 70 Euros (again, rounded). Why do we have to pay 11 Euros more? This is not peanuts. It is quite ridiculous. There are no extra fees put on imported goods from either Sweden or the EU.  The UK Vat is 20%. German Vat is 19%. There is no excuse.

Since they don't increase prices on sets after they've been released, LEGO prices their sets for the (entire) expected lifespan of the set. You can see this at work in sets like the current UCS Death Star, which has a higher price-per-piece than other UCS sets, at least partly because that set will be on the market for years and years (the previous version was sold for 7 years, versus ~3 for most UCS sets).

The Winter Village Station won't be sold for that long, but in the US at least, it should be on the market for 2-3 years. It's possible the set was mis-priced for the UK. But it's also likely that LEGO is hedging their bets — with Brexit looming and the uncertainty it has created for the long-term value of the pound (not to mention import/export agreements that will inevitably change against the UK's favor) — they're better off pricing sets higher for the UK as a defense against devaluation down the line. 

5 hours ago, Jay66 said:

The Danish price is DKK 649 which equals €87 - and LEGO even comes from here... Even without VAT it is still more expensive than in the UK.

Besides that, I like the station. I think it is a nice building, I like the corner tower. I agree it is rather small, but I think it fits a village. It might also work as a revived station for a modern tram line.

The bus is a very well made vehicle.

5 hours ago, Jay66 said:

Germany and Belgium are paying just 70 Euros

No: +5 € in Belgium compared to Germany: as often the Belgian Lego prices are higher :/ (here without any reason, since it is the same currency)

Edited by antp

I'm very firmly situated in the "Meh, much too small and sparse, mediocre minifig selection, too expensive, but the bus is nice" camp.

Will have to see if that translates into a buying decision anyway, since I own all the previous WV sets, but if I purchase it, I will do so grudgingly. (And I certainly won't buy multiples to beef it up -- hey, if we keep rewarding LEGO for puny sets like this, they'll never stop churning them out! :wink:)

15 hours ago, antp said:

No: +5 € in Belgium compared to Germany: as often the Belgian Lego prices are higher :/ (here without any reason, since it is the same currency)

You should complain. I made a complaint directly to Lego, and their reply was (taking all the padding out and paraphrasing) that they will charge what they think they can get away with in each country.