I have recently build the two Ferraris 8653 and 8145 from the Racers series. Although I hesitated buying them because of their limited technical functions and missing suspension, I have to admit I like them. They are cool display models. The LaFerrari Aperta seems like an excellent candidate for this years super car model.

I've just taken a closer look at 42081 Volvo Autonomous.

There are 3 knobs. One is for the HOG steering. That leaves two knobs for the loading arm.

I think this means this set will not be PF upgradable. Those that are PF upgradable, with the exception of 42053 Volvo EW160E and 42050 Drag Racer, have only one knob for one power input.

I think its B model will be Volvo Autonomous Dump Truck. 

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Volvo have been working on automated loader/dumper concepts recently, so that isn't an invalid hypothesis. I think this will be like the Mack; TLG are releasing the model alongside the prototype.

Edited by Maaboo35

I wonder if there's any reason for anyone who has enough yellow parts, 42030 and 42054 to buy the 42081. No PF, and doesn't look to have anything interesting.

It might be worth it for building techniques, Xerion tyres (if you missed the 42054 and the 42070), and Volvo bucket. Also, until we have an inventory of it, we don't know how good of a new parts pack it is; for example, the 42054 is a gold mine of new (for 2016) parts.

8 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

It might be worth it for building techniques, Xerion tyres (if you missed the 42054 and the 42070), and Volvo bucket. Also, until we have an inventory of it, we don't know how good of a new parts pack it is; for example, the 42054 is a gold mine of new (for 2016) parts.

Agreed. There are quite a few cool parts in this set.

5 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

More Claas tyres are always a plus, and the bucket is some pretty good icing on the cake, but we don't know what that cake tastes like yet...

I think it looks like a good set simply because it's so different from your typical loader. And there's always that mysterious B model...

1 minute ago, Maaboo35 said:

I think it looks like a good set simply because it's so different from your typical loader.

^-- this.

While it's true that the "dark ages" of Technic happened when practically all sets were "futuristic" and hardly resembled anything we know (what the heck is the 8446 supposed to be?), but a weird set sprinkled here and there keeps the theme interesting.

I guess techniques might be interesting and it does look good, but as far as AFOLs are concerned, it seems more of a "catch-up" set for people missing the 030 and 054 and as a display piece.

For myself, having two of each of those older sets and 070 and since I only display a few sets, it must be that I'll wait for online instructions to build this one (or maybe get them off BL as I have done with a lot of sets I wanted to build but not purchase), and I'd think that would be the case for many others if they have the bucket and claas tires plus an assortment of black and yellow parts. The forklift looks much more attractive to me despite being pretty run-of-the-mill, and the others from 2h are instant buys, so it's just this that makes me go "meh".

It is pretty cool and fresh for the theme though, I'll give you that.

16 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There are 3 knobs. One is for the HOG steering. That leaves two knobs for the loading arm.

I think this means this set will not be PF upgradable. Those that are PF upgradable, with the exception of 42053 Volvo EW160E and 42050 Drag Racer, have only one knob for one power input.

This makes sense...

1 minute ago, valenciaeric said:

Confirmed the supercar is a Chiron with 3600 pieces.

Assuming you are not trolling, this is good news. And more or less what has been predicted....Dark Azure :laugh:

Source?

7 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

A Bugatti Chiron? Sariel will be pleased!

(at least, according to his review of the Porsche. Yes, that Porsche)

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

Dark Azure :laugh:

Yes, please, I'm in your small (?) camp of DA lovers, must have more :D

Toy Fair starts tomorrow, press conference today. LEGO does not want to share the spotlight.

Please let it be this one, black+dark azure + tan interior would be stupenduous

2018-Bugatti-Chiron-125-1-626x383.jpg

Edited by anatem

Will it be the same color as LEGO Speed Champions 75878? Blue / Black ?

I hope it will be blue & black and not orange :laugh:

1 minute ago, anatem said:

Please let it be this one, black+dark azure + tan interior would be stupenduous

That would be the best choice :thumbup:

Wow, I am really looking forward to how they do the curves. And related, whether it will be pure Technic like 42056 or more of aTechnic/System hybrid like the Mack.

Also, same scale as the Porsche, yet 900 more parts. I think we are looking at the most expensive Technic set ever.

15 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Nice, I saw the live feed as well. Feels like a very logical choice. But it will be very interesting to see how well the typical curvy styling of the real Chiron will be translated into a Technic set. Also: the set will include about 900 parts more that the 42056, wonder where those will go.

Just now, hsky said:

Will it be the same color as LEGO Speed Champions 75878? Blue / Black ?

I hope it will be blue & black and not orange :laugh:

Don't see why it would be orange. I'd think it'd be a different colour to better distinguish it from the Porsche. To be honest, I was thinking blue as well.