Jim

Technic 2018 Set Discussion

12 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

Non IR control in a Big Ugly Motor Piece(BUMP)? Not so good.

Of course, I don't think the BUMP is cool. But this is opening up all sorts of possibilities for new PF. So, I expect this to be introduced in the Technic line as well. In some way.

I love the build up and guessing! 42082 is a definite for me... and i kind of hope 83 isn't a car, there's not much else to do with one. Would love to see something unexpected. Like the BWE, never saw that coming and i love it! Having said that, a truly special flagship WRC car would be pretty good.. or a Dakar 4x4 truck. they're monsters...

20 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

If it's a new receiver, I'm all for it. But if it's a new kind of BUMP, I'm not as much. That dramatically reduces the coolness of a set, with a single use part. Best case, we get a Lego Bluetooth receiver. Worst case, we get a solid brick of electronics with a few pieces stuck to it, not very like Lego.

It's quite likely we'll see something WiFi/Bluetooth based in the new trains, probably/hopefully a new combined battery box/receiver. I personally think it's unlikely to be compatible with current PF though, thus limiting its uses until we get some more motors. On which note, as the motor won't/can't be in that block for a train, we're probably/hopefully getting at least a new train motor. Whatever happens, it's certainly exciting. 

4 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

If it's a new receiver, I'm all for it. But if it's a new kind of BUMP, I'm not as much. That dramatically reduces the coolness of a set, with a single use part. Best case, we get a Lego Bluetooth receiver. Worst case, we get a solid brick of electronics with a few pieces stuck to it, not very like Lego.

Have you tried Boost?  The single-piece motor battery box is limited, but it's not awful.  It has additional ports for motors / sensors.  It wouldn't be good for Technic PF system, but in the Boost context it's pretty ok. :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Have you tried Boost?  The single-piece motor battery box is limited, but it's not awful.  It has additional ports for motors / sensors.  It wouldn't be good for Technic PF system, but in the Boost context it's pretty ok. :shrug_oh_well:

I have not tried boost, but in general I am not fond of vehicles that have an integrated chassis. But then, maybe Lego is going on the idea that kids might not be willing or able to do relatively complex gear assembly. Or maybe it is just faster to build overall, which kids like.  However, I'd say that it would be cheaper for Lego to develop a new receiver, rather than a new chassis piece. I say this because the last integrated PF chassis was only used in two sets.

Also, for any new PF equipment, like the supposed new train motors, I don't think Lego would use the Boost connectors. Why would they? Most PF applications have no need for the integrated tachometers the Boost motors have, and several PF applications need more than one device per port, so the lack of stackability is a major disadvantage. Like I've said before, Boost is far more likely to be the future of Mindstorms vs. Power Functions.

9 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Also, for any new PF equipment, like the supposed new train motors, I don't think Lego would use the Boost connectors. Why would they?

For consistency across their product range. For example, to be able to use a Boost hub to build an automated train.

The age for the 42083 is 16+ (like the Porsche). There is a good chance that it is a new supercar.

2 supercars on the bounce? hope its something unexpected and not another car... 16+ doesn't = car, could be anything.. and hopefully it is!

5 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

The age for the 42083 is 16+ (like the Porsche). There is a good chance that it is a new supercar.

Hi. Welcome to EB!!!

16+ means that it's a complicated set. Could be anything though. Most likely a supercar, but you never know :sweet:

23 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

Where did we get this info?   :classic:

If it’s 16+ then it’s probably intended as a collector’s item like 42056 was. I think it’s safe to assume it’s a sports car.

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

If it’s 16+ then it’s probably intended as a collector’s item like 42056 was. I think it’s safe to assume it’s a sports car.

I agree with this assessment. Makes sense.

17 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

I mean that it isn't a set targeted to children. Even the BWE is for age 12-16.

Valid point. Combined with the previous comment, I'm pretty sure it is a supercar. That's also more or less what TLG designers hinted.

5 minutes ago, degenerate said:

Where did we get this info?   :classic:

In the leaked catalog.

9 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

The box is a different shape to the Porsche one - wider.

Then it has to be a longer supercar :laugh:

16+, collectors item, complex, the one set released so far was a supercar, none of these point to 42083 being a supercar, or any car. But the fact that the box is blank suggests it's based on an existing IP. I have a feeling it will be a car of some kind but really we have no evidence to support that yet.

1 minute ago, allanp said:

16+, collectors item, complex, the one set released so far was a supercar, none of these point to 42083 being a supercar, or any car. But the fact that the box is blank suggests it's based on an existing IP. I have a feeling it will be a car of some kind but really we have no evidence to support that yet.

Well, there's the designers interview. They more or less hinted that the Porsche was the first in a series. No guarantees, but I find it hard to believe it's not a supercar.

Is it confirmed that Porsche will retire? I mean two cars on shelves wouldn't be good.

1 minute ago, Ivan_M said:

Is it confirmed that Porsche will retire? I mean two cars on shelves wouldn't be good.

Yes the Porsche is retiring on the 31.12.2018.

16 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

.... two cars on shelves wouldn't be good.

Not necessarily, it can trigger the urge to complete the series in some people so it can even lead to increased sales of the outgoing model once the (theoretical) new model is launched. Look at what happened with the modular buildings for example: Once it became obvious the cafe corner was the first in a series. the demand for it skyrocketed. 

The drawback of course is the increased load on the logistics when more sets are still in production. I heard here somewhere that TLG has reached its maximum capacity of the number of sets it can put on the market simultaneously. In other words, for each new set an older set must be retired.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

And there is the conflict. On one hand they said said it would be the first in a series, but a series of what? Sets aimed squarely at AFOLs? Supercars? IP cars or vehicles of any sort? But they also said in that interview regarding regular technic sets that they didn't want to release 2 similar things within only a couple years of each other, and having 2 1:8 scale supercars so close, perhaps even on shelves at the same time would be weird. Oh the anticipation!!! Hey, if anyone from TLG is reading this, ide be happy to have a look at it and give you an AFOLs perspective. Yes? No? :grin:

@Cumulonimbus that's a very good point.

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, Akbalder said:

In the leaked catalog.

My bad, I've spent hours looking through that catalogue and forgot the ages are printed with the set info   :laugh:

Either way, the fact that the image is blacked out does support the "licensed set" hypothesis, car or not.