42082 definitely looks like it has the "ring gear" from 42055 which would make it a lot more stable than previous cranes, and if you switch out the clutch gear that is definitely going to be there, I think you'll have an awesome crane due to the XL motor.
42009 is horrible at lifting anything, the turntable will give in to bending at the slightest load.
42042 was shitty at lifting unless you replaced the clutch gear, after that mod it was nice.

i'm looking forward to 42082.. and its red. I've not had a red set since the truly awesome 8258. I will be watching the new pneumatics valve with interest though... i tend to just buy the flagships (or claas when the FS is underwhelming), so may just pick the new parts up separately.

I'd forgotten how flexible 42009 was, but you're comment rang a bell... its my least favourite of the last few years.

I think, and really wish, the B model of 42082 can be a reach stacker, and the prefab house will be turned into a container.

^Considering the crane load could have been pretty much anything, I would assume the way it was decided on was at least partly based on what the B model would require. Basically saying, here are the parts from the Crane - what else do you need to make it into an awesome <Blank>?  

Since this thread is supposed to be about 2018 Technic lineup... I hope it’s not a problem to ask:

@Jim

The 1H2018 are already for sale worldwide... no official reviews from you and/or from @Sariel this time?

Sariel is evidently getting them, but for some reason, Lego dropped the ball. Maybe they're trying to stall the bootleggers? While the bootleggers might use a speed build for reverse engineering, would they?

I am afraid, it might be TLG's regulation just like at the toy fairs. Maybe from now there won't be any early review..

+ For those who can't decide the panel problem, I can firmly state that 42082 has 3x11 panels on the boom. Just look at the wall piece.

Edited by Jockos

3 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

Maybe they're trying to stall the bootleggers? While the bootleggers might use a speed build for reverse engineering, would they?

There are already several speed build of all the sets. AustrianLegoFan and Brick Builder have both done several sets each.

17 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

There are already several speed build of all the sets. AustrianLegoFan and Brick Builder have both done several sets each.

Sariel said previously that he expects to receive the sets for review in January. All the videos online were made of sets purchased in a store (like my videos as well).

I poked TLG about the sets a week ago and was told that they are "being processed as soon as possible". Nothing changed since then. I'm kind of stuck because I'd rather not go and buy the entire lineup if the parcel is arriving any day now.

51 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I poked TLG about the sets a week ago and was told that they are "being processed as soon as possible". Nothing changed since then. I'm kind of stuck because I'd rather not go and buy the entire lineup if the parcel is arriving any day now.

@Milan got a customs message the other day so I assume that the review sets have been shipped, or are being shipped.

20 hours ago, allanp said:

42042 came with an extra boom section and was shown on the box lifting that and I seem to recall that set having a pretty decent lifting capacity so I guess it was designed to lift that reliably. 42009 on the other hand didn't come with anything to lift, and it's lifting capacity is pretty poor. So I guess if a set comes with something to lift, like the large wall pieces that come with 42082, then it must be designed to reliably lift it, with some capacity to spare to make up for manufacturing tolerances and the end users inability to build their set properly! So I would guess yes, it can lift the first responder.

Actually, 42042 lifting capacity was quite limited, not because of the structure, but because of the use of clutch gears.  TLG will always place clutch gears in favor of having sets returned b/c motors damaged parts, which, despite all the complaining of how weak LEGO motors are,  they can do quite easily.  For this reason I am afraid 42082 lifting capacity will be limited, just like all the other cranes. But perhaps this can be easily modified.  Might be as easy as switching out clutch gears.   

On 1/23/2018 at 1:24 PM, Jim said:

Indeed, so let's end it with that and get back on topic. 

In case anyone missed it.

It seems like 60% of your posts (from almost 10100) are like this, so we probably need new glasses... 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:40 PM, allanp said:

It's not unusual, in fact it's normal to release a new part in only one set as they will surely use it again in the years to come.

That could always be a pleasant surprise for summer sets :wink:

Picture / video or not, we will be smarter after Nuremberg toy fair...so It is just around the corner

1 hour ago, Jim said:

@Milan got a customs message the other day so I assume that the review sets have been shipped, or are being shipped.

Does that mean @Milan is doing reviews? Or are you still?

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Does that mean @Milan is doing reviews? Or are you still?

Milan will be doing the reviews :thumbup: 

1 minute ago, Aventador2004 said:

Tell him to enjoy it :wink:!

Tell him yourself. He's around quite a lot :laugh:

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

TLG will always place clutch gears in favor of having sets returned b/c motors damaged parts

My guess is it it's usually a child safety issue.  I always build clutches into winches even though it makes them unplayable.  I do that because I've seen kids wrap the line around themselves both intentionally and accidentally.   If the line constricts the windpipe it's potentially fatal. 

I'm just guessing though, and off-topic. 

2 hours ago, andythenorth said:

My guess is it it's usually a child safety issue.  I always build clutches into winches even though it makes them unplayable.  I do that because I've seen kids wrap the line around themselves both intentionally and accidentally.   If the line constricts the windpipe it's potentially fatal. 

I'm just guessing though, and off-topic. 

A Lego Technic killer machine, you say? Now that's a flagship I would buy. And a first 18+ age recommendation for Lego :D

10 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

A Lego Technic killer machine, you say?

We sort of had something like that already, if this video has any sort of doings.

On a similar and topical note to all such as Technic Merderin' Masheens, I want ALL of @allanp's pneumatic predictions about 42080 - Robotic Mantis Shrimp to come true. That would be so nice!

6 hours ago, Sariel said:

Really reasonable. Anyway I do not see the rush on doing those marvellous reviews

I choose my technic sets exclusively among the hamster-proof ones and then I set up the online bargain-hunting sites, which may trigger one year later. So one month earlier or later does not make any difference to me

Really willing to watch Hamster vs. Mack

1 hour ago, bitbamboo said:

Really willing to watch Hamster vs. Mack

Mack sounds very much like "snack". Coincidence? I think not ;)

53 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Mack sounds very much like "snack". Coincidence? I think not ;)

Your quotes rock!