1 minute ago, allanp said:

16+, collectors item, complex, the one set released so far was a supercar, none of these point to 42083 being a supercar, or any car. But the fact that the box is blank suggests it's based on an existing IP. I have a feeling it will be a car of some kind but really we have no evidence to support that yet.

Well, there's the designers interview. They more or less hinted that the Porsche was the first in a series. No guarantees, but I find it hard to believe it's not a supercar.

Is it confirmed that Porsche will retire? I mean two cars on shelves wouldn't be good.

1 minute ago, Ivan_M said:

Is it confirmed that Porsche will retire? I mean two cars on shelves wouldn't be good.

Yes the Porsche is retiring on the 31.12.2018.

16 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

.... two cars on shelves wouldn't be good.

Not necessarily, it can trigger the urge to complete the series in some people so it can even lead to increased sales of the outgoing model once the (theoretical) new model is launched. Look at what happened with the modular buildings for example: Once it became obvious the cafe corner was the first in a series. the demand for it skyrocketed. 

The drawback of course is the increased load on the logistics when more sets are still in production. I heard here somewhere that TLG has reached its maximum capacity of the number of sets it can put on the market simultaneously. In other words, for each new set an older set must be retired.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

And there is the conflict. On one hand they said said it would be the first in a series, but a series of what? Sets aimed squarely at AFOLs? Supercars? IP cars or vehicles of any sort? But they also said in that interview regarding regular technic sets that they didn't want to release 2 similar things within only a couple years of each other, and having 2 1:8 scale supercars so close, perhaps even on shelves at the same time would be weird. Oh the anticipation!!! Hey, if anyone from TLG is reading this, ide be happy to have a look at it and give you an AFOLs perspective. Yes? No? :grin:

@Cumulonimbus that's a very good point.

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, Akbalder said:

In the leaked catalog.

My bad, I've spent hours looking through that catalogue and forgot the ages are printed with the set info   :laugh:

Either way, the fact that the image is blacked out does support the "licensed set" hypothesis, car or not.

I think it will include pneumatics, why would TLG develop new valve for 42080 when such set doesn't need it. I'm in backhoe camp, sucessor to Porsche would be too early.

6 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

I think it will include pneumatics, why would TLG develop new valve for 42080 when such set doesn't need it. I'm in backhoe camp, sucessor to Porsche would be too early.

Keep dreaming

It will mostly be an exclusive IP supercar/luxury car without B model and low technical stuff, like the Porsche.

Edited by Timoonn

It's not unusual, in fact it's normal to release a new part in only one set as they will surely use it again in the years to come.

29 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

It's not surprising if the new design will be required in a future set, not necessarily from this year. An example is the wheel that would one day be used on the 8880, with its then-mysterious slots near its axle hole.

+1 to this also i believe the redesign on the 42039 for the curved panel was for future models as much as itself and the mini turntable 

I do remember getting those wheels on the trike and wondering about its design until the 8880 arrived

Indeed, so let's end it with that and get back on topic. 

44 minutes ago, Jim said:

Okay guys, let's return to factual discussion. Speculation and wishlist in the other topic. Thanks.

In case anyone missed it.

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

If it’s 16+ then it’s probably intended as a collector’s item like 42056 was. I think it’s safe to assume it’s a sports car.

Its anything but safe to assume... no images, no rumours, nothing except the age and box size.. its brave man thats speaks with confidence on this subject!!

Thought I would share this but I apologise if this is the wrong place to put it.

If your in the UK John Lewis has dropped the price on the 42069 to £98

3 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Its anything but safe to assume... no images, no rumours, nothing except the age and box size.. its brave man thats speaks with confidence on this subject!!

It's a brave, or ignorant, man that keeps going on while my last post was pretty clear.

2 minutes ago, Cardboy said:

Thought I would share this but I apologise if this is the wrong place to put it.

If your in the UK John Lewis has dropped the price on the 42069 to £98

We do have a 2017 topic.

Just now, Jim said:

It's a brave, or ignorant, man that keeps going on while my last post was pretty clear.

In fairness i was supporting the position (in agreement with admin) that there's no facts, which makes it pure speculation... that doesn't make me ignorant

Just now, TeamThrifty said:

In fairness i was supporting the position (in agreement with admin) that there's no facts, which makes it pure speculation... that doesn't make me ignorant

That's not relevant. When staff repeatedly (actually, it should be clear after the first time) tells you to get back on topic, it's time to get back on topic. Making an extra comment, whether in favor of staff or not, will probably result in a prolonged discussion.

Going back to topic: do you think 42082 will be able to lift a middle sized Technic car? For example the new rescue responder?

16 minutes ago, Jockos said:

Going back to topic: do you think 42082 will be able to lift a middle sized Technic car? For example the new rescue responder?

Probably not without bending, though I wouldn't want to speculate about that.

42042 came with an extra boom section and was shown on the box lifting that and I seem to recall that set having a pretty decent lifting capacity so I guess it was designed to lift that reliably. 42009 on the other hand didn't come with anything to lift, and it's lifting capacity is pretty poor. So I guess if a set comes with something to lift, like the large wall pieces that come with 42082, then it must be designed to reliably lift it, with some capacity to spare to make up for manufacturing tolerances and the end users inability to build their set properly! So I would guess yes, it can lift the first responder.

Turntable could be the weak point, or did someone propose (cough) that it used the bwe ring-gear in black? External dimension don't look any bigger than 42009, I can't remember how robust that was though.... 

External dimension of the crane arm i meant to say