Yes, I think it's 4.0 LE. But only relatively recent and/or high-end devices support it; look at the compatibility issues with SBrick, BuWizz and Boost. I assume most kids either have low-end or older hand-me-down phones (or have to constantly nag their parents to borrow their phones to play), which makes Wi-Fi more compatible.

Still, given that TLG already uses Bluetooth with WeDo 2.0 and Boost (and they also use PF 2.0), I don't believe the upcoming systems use Wi-Fi.

9 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Maybe more of an "update"? We'll see! :sweet:

Cool anyway. Even if just as a reciever.

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Cool anyway. Even if just as a reciever.

A link to the pictures is now up on the 2018 trains topic. :classic:

It's blurry, but you can see in the right bottom corner the new PF parts. 

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

A link to the pictures is now up on the 2018 trains topic. :classic:

It's blurry, but you can see in the right bottom corner the new PF parts. 

I don't think that the wifi/bluetooth signal thingie necessarily means that, it could just as easily just mean that it's remote controlled, in any kind of way.

To be fair, that signal thingie could just as easily mean IR,  to me it just means that it can communicate with a device without the need for a cable, but it would be so awesome if we got a bluetooth based PF system, as long as it will work with the old PF motors.

1 hour ago, degenerate said:

as long as it will work with the old PF motors.

PF 2.0 uses a different connector, so unless TLG (or a third-party) makes an adapter, it won't work with old motors.

3 hours ago, AVCampos said:

PF 2.0 uses a different connector, so unless TLG (or a third-party) makes an adapter, it won't work with old motors.

Something like the 9V adapter cable would make sense here.

I don't see Lego using the PF 2.0 connectors for the trains. Why would they? It would be an expensive retooling effort that would be actively bad for the purposes of Technic. Say goodbye to using more than one motor per channel. I think that the WeDo and Boost point to the next evolution of Mindstorms, not Power Functions. It would be stupid of Lego make a change to the PF connectors that would be actively detrimental to the use of said system. Robotics systems need the additional wires for communication, and need to be a single connector to avoid confusing the processor. No such requirements exist for Power Functions. 

Also, I think the image on the box is a logo, and not the new receiver itself, as it has no visible connectors of any kind, and it would be rather stupid to have a receiver that looks like a 1x2 brick. It is an awkward shape, and out of system. With any luck, the Remote control Batmobile from a couple pages back will have the same receiver, as will 42083. This follows the precedent of the rollout of OG Power Functions, where System sets had the receivers before they showed up in Technic. I could be wrong though, but I'm hoping.

14 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

I don't see Lego using the PF 2.0 connectors for the trains.

Why would they keep releasing new PF 1.0 compatible elements if they introduce PF 2.0? They already changed systems and connectors in the past. Btw this was discussed previously in this topic, and here's a quote from this interview: "all future PF will be compatible with the new platform introduced with WeDo 2.0." So for me the questions is not really "will they change it?" but rather "how will they change it", looking forward to see if they managed to solve the stackability question for this type of connector.

Looking at the 2018 set images; in particular, set 42082, it would appear that it comes with two PF "parts". On the left a motor; and on the right what I'm presuming to be a new battery box/reciever? I'm wondering whether a new battery box exists along the lines of the WeDo 2.0 hub, which functions as an ordinary battery box with a switch for normal play, and also has the option of being remotely operated via Bluetooth? Following from the trains discussion, it's unlikely Lego will release regular sets that won't work without a phone/tablet, but having the option of manual operation or app operation would be a win-win.

Presuming Lego allow many of these devices to be operatable concurrently from the same app; it would go a long way to resolve the old problem of not having enough RC channels.

16 minutes ago, Grrr said:

Looking at the 2018 set images; in particular, set 42082, it would appear that it comes with two PF "parts". On the left a motor; and on the right what I'm presuming to be a new battery box/reciever? I'm wondering whether a new battery box exists along the lines of the WeDo 2.0 hub, which functions as an ordinary battery box with a switch for normal play, and also has the option of being remotely operated via Bluetooth? Following from the trains discussion, it's unlikely Lego will release regular sets that won't work without a phone/tablet, but having the option of manual operation or app operation would be a win-win.

Presuming Lego allow many of these devices to be operatable concurrently from the same app; it would go a long way to resolve the old problem of not having enough RC channels.

To me 42082 looks like it is still the old battery box and motor, no RC.

The image on the right that looks like a 1x2 brick, is most likely a 1x2 sound brick, with the graphics above it suggesting sound coming out of it.  No new PF elements, or we need clearer images or additional information.

On the train box it looks to me like a 4x8 transmitter with a WiFi or BT signal coming out of it and two speed dials. So now I'm in the BT/WiFi transmitter, 7x3 dog bone and new valve camp! :laugh:

44 minutes ago, allanp said:

On the train box it looks to me like a 4x8 transmitter with a WiFi or BT signal coming out of it and two speed dials. So now I'm in the BT/WiFi transmitter, 7x3 dog bone and new valve camp! :laugh:

Its a 1x2 brick, however it says that it's a placeholder image so anything can happen I guess.

42082, the panels on the boom are 3x11, which means he dogbones are same old 5x3 ones, this becomes very clear when you look at the panels on the prefab house in the image and compare them to the ones on the boom, there's both 3x11 and 5x11 panels on it and there is absolutely no way  the ones on the boom are 5x11, in my opinion  :wink:

I'm definitely in camp new valve though!

1 hour ago, allanp said:

I'm with you! Full optimism that we will get all new cool stuff (until mid Feb when the crushing realisation is that we got nothing) :grin:

12 hours ago, Grrr said:

Golden facepalm

I think you presume a bit too much :sweet:

Edited by Timoonn

Hmmmm, looking again now I'm not so sure about the dog bones, could be just the 3x5 ones. But i'm quite confident it's not a 1x2 brick on the train box.

In terms of the power functions shown on the technic boxes, we've seen before how they can change, they are just place holders and could be entirely different.

6 minutes ago, allanp said:

Hmmmm, looking again now I'm not so sure about the dog bones, could be just the 3x5 ones.

Yup. I left the 3x7 camp and joined the kids in the 3x5 camp. 

Yeah, as much as it goes against my hopes, I'm also on the 3x5 dogbone and Bluetooth receiver (instead of Wi-Fi or 2.4 GHz) camps.

13 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

The image on the right that looks like a 1x2 brick, is most likely a 1x2 sound brick, with the graphics above it suggesting sound coming out of it.  No new PF elements, or we need clearer images or additional information.

It doesn't really look like a conventional brick on the Reddit image: the "studs" look too low in proportion to its height and have black lines across them.

3 minutes ago, Kaanere said:

It doesn't really look like a conventional brick on the Reddit image: the "studs" look too low in proportion to its height and have black lines across them.

I can also see little nubs on the studs which would be a tactile thing to help rotate them and to help see what position they are in, if that's the case then it's not relative speed control like the current speed controllers (where rotating the knob one click will hopefully increase the speed one click), but absolute speed control (where setting it to speed X will make the thing move at speed X). 

Looking at the train 'leaks' there's only one thing that's giving me doubt about a new wireless system (wifi or BT) and that is lack of the IR notch from the receiver that we usually see on Lego trains. I can't see it?

So maybe there will be a new wireless control system, but then again, they are preliminary images...

2 minutes ago, astra said:

Looking at the train 'leaks' there's only one thing that's giving me doubt about a new wireless system (wifi or BT) and that is lack of the IR notch from the receiver that we usually see on Lego trains. I can't see it?

So maybe there will be a new wireless control system, but then again, they are preliminary images...

IR requires a visible notch so that the receiver can see the IR signal. So wouldn't the lack thereof actually confirm that these trains are NOT IR controlled?

Edited by allanp

I wouldn't get so hyped about BT or most probably BLE receivers , not all devices are the same, specially considering OS requirements and not every smartphone being supported :sceptic: 

2.4 GHz on the other hand , seems like a wise option - you always know that the controller provided will work no matter what (maybe even custom ones would be possible having in mind their currently open PF protocol)

Edited by Xewyz2001

No Lego at London toy fair, Nuremberg toy fair no photos and only summer releases upto June 1st at New York toy fair. We wants to see 42083. 

This story from brickset homepage. 

Edited by ctx1769