I don't understand the debate about the distortion of the image. The pin holes in the beam right below the panels in question on the boom are distorted in exactly the same way - and taking the holes as a standard measurement, there is no way you can only fit one between the two visible pin holes on the panel. For me, it's undeniably clear that the panels are 5 wide.

Now I would be hesitant on calling the dog bones, as the picture is blurred in the middle of the connections. There is simply no way to tell what is going on in the middle - whether it's all one part or an assembly like ibessonov above shows. I am inclined to say we are not getting a new part, partly also because it hasn't appeared anywhere else and Lego usually uses new molds in more sets than just one (super specialized parts like 42055 turntable notwithstanding).

So put me in the 5 wide panels, no new dog bone camp.

2 hours ago, Huaojozu said:

I don't understand the debate about the distortion of the image. The pin holes in the beam right below the panels in question on the boom are distorted in exactly the same way - and taking the holes as a standard measurement, there is no way you can only fit one between the two visible pin holes on the panel. For me, it's undeniably clear that the panels are 5 wide.

Now I would be hesitant on calling the dog bones, as the picture is blurred in the middle of the connections. There is simply no way to tell what is going on in the middle - whether it's all one part or an assembly like ibessonov above shows. I am inclined to say we are not getting a new part, partly also because it hasn't appeared anywhere else and Lego usually uses new molds in more sets than just one (super specialized parts like 42055 turntable notwithstanding).

So put me in the 5 wide panels, no new dog bone camp.

History speaks for itself in terms of speculation on preliminary photos. Technic fans do this every year. Its not a problem but it is fun to observe.  Much speculation with cruddy pics only to get entirely revamped when real photos come out.  I wouldnt put too much stock in early speculations from others. Just sit back and enjoy how things transpire....

It could happen that the model in the picture we see has new dog bones (I'm firmly in the new dog bone camp!) However the final model may be different, so if the new model does have only the current dog bones, that does not prove that the model that was photographed has new ones!

Make sure 42083 is a supercar?2018 is the 90th anniversary of VOLVO,Mack belongs to VOLVO,42081 is a VOLVO…Will 42083 be a product like 8110 which was marked the anniversary of the band?There is another question!Why is not 42083 the last number of 2018?42084 is a small hook loader???

Edited by wanyangluo

45 minutes ago, wanyangluo said:

Make sure 42083 is a supercar?2018 is the 90th anniversary of VOLVO,Mack belongs to VOLVO,42081 is a VOLVO…Will 42083 be a product like 8110 which was marked the anniversary of the band?There is another question!Why is not 42083 the last number of 2018?42084 is a small hook loader???

It could be that 42084 was originally meant to be a 2019 set, it was not on the 1H price lists we received back in September, so most likely it was a last minute decision to toss it in with the 2018 releases.
The 2018 sets already had their set numbers nailed down by then so they had to stick with 42084.
Maybe.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Put me in the let's wait until there are official pics camp

I agree, it may be soon.

Picked up 42071 and 42084 - bloody hell, how far apart are those numbers?! - this morn at my local Smyth's. Oh, and their shelves were piled high with 42070s, all proudly wearing their £209.99 price tag. Methinks they'll be sitting there for some time... all I know is, they'd better clear them before the H2 rush hits. Can they do it?

Let's see 'em try. :sweet:

20 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Picked up 42071 and 42084 - bloody hell, how far apart are those numbers?! - this morn at my local Smyth's. Oh, and their shelves were piled high with 42070s, all proudly wearing their £209.99 price tag. Methinks they'll be sitting there for some time... all I know is, they'd better clear them before the H2 rush hits. Can they do it?

Let's see 'em try. :sweet:

Well, 42070 will stick around until next year so I would hardly say that's weird.

Sure the price is a bit on the mad end, but that is because TLG set an unreasonable price to start with and I can promise you that it is an absolute dead end trying to discuss prices with them :sceptic:

9 hours ago, degenerate said:

It could be that 42084 was originally meant to be a 2019 set, it was not on the 1H price lists we received back in September, so most likely it was a last minute decision to toss it in with the 2018 releases.
The 2018 sets already had their set numbers nailed down by then so they had to stick with 42084.
Maybe.

Got it!

Nuremberg Internatioanal Toy Fair 2018 will be held on 31 Jan! Let s look forward to it!

2 hours ago, wanyangluo said:

Got it!

Nuremberg Internatioanal Toy Fair 2018 will be held on 31 Jan! Let s look forward to it!

That is in 20 days :wink:

9 hours ago, merman said:

Do I also see a new brown 7L axle with stop in 42080? Portruding from the new valve...

It need only be 5L (1 for valve, 2 for connector, 0.5 for bush, 1 for cog, 0.5 left), which is a part that already exists, so is the most likely. If it was 7L then it'd be going through the black bent liftarm plus something else behind it, which would be most strange IMO.

11 hours ago, I_Igor said:

That is in 20 days :wink:

The suspense will surely kill someone... :laugh_hard:

Concerning the new valve, I think it seems quite possible, and if so, I will have to pick this set up.

8 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

That will probably be me :laugh:

I am really anxious to see what the 42082 would be like. I definitely want to figure out how it works. And that new valve is quite interesting as well.

16 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Concerning the new valve, I think it seems quite possible, and if so, I will have to pick this set up.

Now people can start countdown (day for day) Hopefully there will be no "Houston we have a problem" :laugh:

15 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

"Houston we have a problem"

Posted in the train forum (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/155770-2018-lego-trains/&page=12)

Sorry to upset you, but according to different german blog´s, TLC has changed the rules. This year there will be no photos allowed at TLC´s display at Nürnberg Toy fair. Also there will be only invited press-members allowed and it is strictly forbidden to take pictures or report in any way (also not in words!!!!!) about anything.

Press release of german Blog "zusammengebaut" about Nürnberg toy fair

what is the point of inviting press and not allowing them to talk about it? might as well just cancel the event alltogether

It's funny how TLG is being all secretive about their product, yet they let hi-res pictures of sets for the new Han Solo movie get leaked out which showed some spoilers.

Edited by Meatman

Just read it at Zusammengebaut... so this is the big plan of LEGO to hold back copycats. Just as @vectormatic wrote: Nürnberg Toy Fair is about marketing, but taking out the marketing value... what is the point to participate? Not to mention, nowadays there are enough gadgets for spying - and pictures are already leaked for most of the themes!

Innovation and thus competitive prices, new "hard-to copy" products would be the right answer to the current market demands, this... this is just stupid.

Edited by agrof

3 minutes ago, agrof said:

Just read it at Zusammengebaut... so this is the big plan of LEGO to hold back copycats. Just as @vectormatic wrote: Nürnberg Toy Fair is about marketing, but taking out the marketing value... what is the point to participate? Not to mention, nowadays there are enough gadgets for spying - and pictures are already leaked for most of the themes!

Innovation and thus competitive prices, new "hard-to copy" products would be the right answer to the current market demands, this... this is just stupid.

Agree. If anyone really wants pictures, they can take them. There are plenty of devices on the market small enough to record with that no one would ever know.

Edited by Meatman

49 minutes ago, JGW3000 said:

but according to different german blog´s, TLC has changed the rules. This year there will be no photos allowed at TLC´s display at Nürnberg Toy fair.

Houston, we have a problem.

I assume this means no images at all and that we'll have to wait until july for official images?

and this is all ineffective against copy cats anyway, the lepin sets might be delayed a week, but that means nothing to people who are okay with lepin, they arent going to pay three times the price for avoiding a short wait

if lego wants to combat lepin, either up your own game (tackle shortages, improve product quality etc), or go to court

the video game market has shown that more secrecy and better drm doesnt stop the pirates when shipping your product involves handing over the design/data