Jim

Technic 2018 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, degenerate said:

We haven't received our H1 sets at our store yet either (Sweden).

Estimated delivery is sometime middle of next week, so wait a bit and I'm sure they'll get them in stock.

I'd go buy the H1 sets from Lego usually but I've got gift cards to use up, so no point buying from lego direct when I can save money at toys r us, I just can't wait to get these sets, as they look really good, so I'm eager : -  ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iv-tecman said:

I'd go buy the H1 sets from Lego usually but I've got gift cards to use up, so no point buying from lego direct when I can save money at toys r us, I just can't wait to get these sets, as they look really good, so I'm eager : -  ) 

The LEGO shop is usually more expensive when it comes to sets I've noticed, they stick with the prices they recommend the stores to use as well and a lot of stores do because the profits will be great, but there's always a bunch of stores who will undercut them by a good margin.

Here in Sweden the difference between buying directly from LEGO  and a webshop is often close to 20% cheaper...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 11:13 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

For amazon.de 42070 has just dropped from 250 EUR (RSMP) to 180 EUR. That's a deep and rarely seen 28% cut. I guess that's what it's truly worth.

Back to 2018 sets. This may be the first time, I really don't want to admit it, that I consider not buying the flagship o__O

I've got flagships from 2010 to 2017, minus 2011 flagships Unimog. Even for the widely criticized 42070 I still thought of buying it because it looks really bulky, intimidating, and appealing enough. 

But this 42082 feels like a rehashed 42009 o____O

If it turns out to have superior or cooler functions I may rethink. But now I'm thinking of a pass.

Wish we saw some price drops on last year's 2H sets in the USA.  42069 and 42070 have not budged on amazon. The firetruck did get a $20 discount at a bunch of stores during the holiday; however, I am a pass on that one.  

42069 https://keepa.com/#!product/1-B07212T2BV

42070 https://keepa.com/#!product/1-B07146N1MP

Given Toys R Us botched my 42053 Volvo order which would have saved me 20% and now its is out of stock everywhere...looks like 2017 was a no LEGO year for me.   Hopefully, this year's sets have a few more sales...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, I_Igor said:

My friend, you just red my mind :thumbup:

I know that it will be modified with flat-4 engine but that is a purpose to make decent set that challanges for improvements. Smaller sets are usually more playable 

agreed on 42075, just ordered one from amazon.de, while im still very much on the fence about 77, even at a 25% discount, i just cant shake the feeling that set is a let down

 

meanwhile 75 offers decent features out of the box, and plenty chances for improvement without corrupting the base of the model, i look forward to squeezing a flat four in, and modding the rear to a pickup bed, perhaps even RCing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone new guy here. After years of lurking finally signed up. Can confirm 42077 is in fact dark azure. Should make Jim happy. Anyway against all recommendations picked it up last weekend. The set does seem somewhat flimsy and lots of empty space but I really needed/wanted many of the parts, stuff I am lacking mostly. I rather enjoyed the build and price wasn't to bad, probably be tearing it down this weekend though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42075 should look nice along 42068, the scale seems reasonably similar

Edited by tohan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vectormatic said:

agreed on 42075, just ordered one from amazon.de, while im still very much on the fence about 77, even at a 25% discount, i just cant shake the feeling that set is a let down

 

meanwhile 75 offers decent features out of the box, and plenty chances for improvement without corrupting the base of the model, i look forward to squeezing a flat four in, and modding the rear to a pickup bed, perhaps even RCing it

Agree, that would be interesting mod :thumbup:

I think, LEGO makes more and more "unfinished" models with good basis to motivate us for improvements (of course first we have to buy it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

 

I think, LEGO makes more and more "unfinished" models with good basis to motivate us for improvements (of course first we have to buy it)

Good point, it used to upset me greatly. Thinking they were knocking pieces off to bring it to a certain price point. Now I kind of like it, almost always add a few extra bits to every set. I even buy sets I have no interest in for those extra bits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I think, LEGO makes more and more "unfinished" models with good basis to motivate us for improvements (of course first we have to buy it)

I highly doubt TLG brings a product to the market with the purpose of making it better. They bring a product to the market which is good enough for a certain price point and profit margin. They surely don't think that their products are unfinished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jim said:

I highly doubt TLG brings a product to the market with the purpose of making it better. They bring a product to the market which is good enough for a certain price point and profit margin. They surely don't think that their products are unfinished. 

agreed, they wont actively sell unfinished sets, but keeping modability/expandability in mind for AFOLs should be part of every technic design

it plays a big part in my buying decisions, and is part of the reason i am on the fence about 77, there are more then enough features that can be modded in, but if i would need to rebuild both axles, driveline and probably the entire chassis, what is the point of even starting with that set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vectormatic said:

it plays a big part in my buying decisions, and is part of the reason i am on the fence about 77, there are more then enough features that can be modded in, but if i would need to rebuild both axles, driveline and probably the entire chassis, what is the point of even starting with that set?

I am not much of a modder, but when I do mod, I like to build the original set first so I can experience the build. After that, I will start making a second version with the first one still built, for reference. That's why I always like to have the original set. Of course, when you have the parts, you can still build the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jim said:

I highly doubt TLG brings a product to the market with the purpose of making it better. They bring a product to the market which is good enough for a certain price point and profit margin. They surely don't think that their products are unfinished. 

Of course profit is a key point, but as you see lots of sets are challenge for improvement and modifications. I think LEGO designers are first if all making good basis and than see from expenses driven design what to implement and what to leave desirefull like Unimog - with wrong suspension, difficult steering...

Just now, vectormatic said:

agreed, they wont actively sell unfinished sets, but keeping modability/expandability in mind for AFOLs should be part of every technic design

it plays a big part in my buying decisions, and is part of the reason i am on the fence about 77, there are more then enough features that can be modded in, but if i would need to rebuild both axles, driveline and probably the entire chassis, what is the point of even starting with that set?

That was my point. Thanks for better explanation, they leave a space for modifications. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, tohan said:

42075 should look nice along 42068, the scale seems reasonably similar

That could be interesting combination

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't agree that making a set worse by making it unfinished or making functions not work properly or whatever makes it better by allowing the consumer to finish off their design for them. I agree with Jim that that's not TLGs intent, at least I hope not. While it's an in built benefit of Lego that we can modify it, providing the parts are in production to do so (they don't make the parts to change the Porsche to a nice colour for example), that's definitely not the same thing as poorly designing a set knowing the customer has limited scope to make it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After all; TLG's motto is "Only the best is good enough" and not "We have done a bit and now you can do the rest" :laugh:

(although I agree it sometimes does feel that way)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jim said:

After all; TLG's motto is "Only the best is good enough" and not "We have done a bit and now you can do the rest" :laugh:

(although I agree it sometimes does feel that way)

some sets feel more like "wed like to make it interesting, but the accountant said im only allowed one diff"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@vectormatic We'd like to make this more interesting, but the licensing partner only allow one steering axle. :wink:

We would like to make it more authentic but the licensing partner don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hehe.

Okay guys, let's get back on topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@vectormatic We'd like to make this more interesting, but the licensing partner only allow one steering axle. :wink:

Yeah, like set 42081 - Volvo autonomus - we would like to implement both steering axles, not just rear.

Look @Jim we are back on topic now :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This should be TLG's new slogan :rofl:

Please don't continu after I asked to get back on topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the recent lineups, I would suggest that TLG is making some efforts to deliver a large variety of sets topics, functions and even sizes. I'm quite excited about the 2018 sets (I haven't even yet built all the 2017 ones I acquired).

42078 looks like a flagship in its own right, even a 2 flagships in one I would say as the B Model looks really nice (and it's been so long since we've had a garbage truck anyway so it get points already for that alone)

42080 is also an unusual topic, 42081 seems nice also and 42082... well, who doesn't like a big crane ? :laugh:

I can't wait to see if 42083 brings a never seen before feature like the paddle shift of 42056... whatever the actual model will actually be, I'm willing to bet it will be great (but there is always room for a little rant here and there)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks that diversity is very good this year indeed and (if I could say) machinery is dominant in set numbers with interesting features (and without any new part introduced) like forklift and crane, but I'm still wondering what would LEGO implement in Volvo. I know - there is forest harvester but somehow I have expected at least new tractor tires on it - even if it would have just 2 axles and 4 wheels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jim said:

Please don't continu after I asked to get back on topic.

Sorry, my bad.

19 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

but I'm still wondering what would LEGO implement in Volvo.

I've been wondering about this too- it seems based on the packaging that there are only the liftable arm and HoG steering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.