The new valve has pinholes at 5L centers (i.e. fits on a 5L liftarm) not 3L, right? That's what is in the catalogue pic at least - would be good to get it confirmed.

Nice if it has the axle switch as well so they can be easily stacked beside each other.

Am intrigued as to how they've done the blade spinning.

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

The new valve has pinholes at 5L centers (i.e. fits on a 5L liftarm) not 3L, right? That's what is in the catalogue pic at least - would be good to get it confirmed.

I think it’s 3L, looking at @efferman‘s drawing and 3D model.

7 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I think it’s 3L, looking at @efferman‘s drawing and 3D model.

Sure, I'm suggesting that the drawing and 3D model are incorrect, as that isn't what is in the pictures in the 2018 lego brochure (either the standalone or box pic), which is clearly 5L spacing. Might it have changed it since those photos were taken maybe?

I don’t see how you can tell it’s 5L from the leaks. It’s so heavily skewed and there isn’t really any other piece nearby to compare lengths with.

I also think it is 5L in the leaked image. It has a different design than the 3d posted here. But maybe the real valve now is like the 3d and the leaked image showed a previous version of the valve.

15 hours ago, efferman said:

they use the boost connectors

This is very interesting, if the plan is to move over to the boost connectors for PF 2.0 that would make sbricks/buwizz useless for 2.0 motors etc...

20 minutes ago, degenerate said:

This is very interesting, if the plan is to move over to the boost connectors for PF 2.0 that would make sbricks/buwizz useless for 2.0 motors etc...

It would be interesting to know if the Sbrick and Buwuzz teams have any advance knowledge of such a change.  I realise that we are unlikely to find out for a while but, it'll be an interesting discussion in 6 months time.

3 minutes ago, Boulderer said:

It would be interesting to know if the Sbrick and Buwuzz teams have any advance knowledge of such a change.  I realise that we are unlikely to find out for a while but, it'll be an interesting discussion in 6 months time.

A simple converter cable will probably do the trick.

8 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Am intrigued as to how they've done the blade spinning

There wasn't something like a motor. The blade was rotating freely. I could spin it with my fingers.

17 hours ago, efferman said:

they use the boost connectors

I can confirm.

8 hours ago, JonathanM said:

The new valve has pinholes at 5L centers

I think so. The center part of the new valve has the same size as the the old one. The pin holes are on its sides. The movement of the new valve was very smooth. I would say I could use it continuously. But: I only had a couple of minutes with the new valve.

1 minute ago, jrx said:

There wasn't something like a motor. The blade was rotating freely. I could spin it with my fingers.

Disappointing, but expected. It will be interesting to see how people mod it in with an ultimate version MOC.

Since you were at the fair, can you please compare the size of 42082 to 42009 or even 42055? Does it have System-built details? Any ideas on where do all those 4000 pieces go? Was the "house" that comes with the set on display too? Is it as basic as the prelims indicate or do you think it could munch more pieces from the piece count than expected?

Just now, Huaojozu said:

compare the size of 42082 to 42009 or even 42055

As I don't own the 42009 I have to guess. I'll say: It's much shorter, but much wider too. It's a huge model. You can guess from the big Unimog tires. The boom is said to be longer than those from 42009. TLG said it is around one meter or longer. Comparing it to 42055 is not easy. My guess is, 42055 is bigger in size.

Just now, Huaojozu said:

Does it have System-built details?

Not as I can remember (that doesn't mean much) ... There were some basic parts used as support for the outriggers.

Just now, Huaojozu said:

Any ideas on where do all those 4000 pieces go

Really many parts will go in the mechanics. It will have a very sophisticated gearbox controlling all functions powered by only one PF L-motor.

Just now, Huaojozu said:

Was the "house" that comes with the set on display too?

Yes it was. As far as I can remember it was built from (not too many) technic pieces.

Now that I know the structure of the new valve, I'm surprised that I didn't figure out the positions of the connectors sooner. In the prelim image, there's a discernable bit of blue behind the valve !

I think the clam & blade function work like this: a small cylinder will push a lever that connects to the blade to the front. This lever is connected to knob gears at the top. When the lever goes forward the top teeth of the knob gear goes backward. This pushes the clams forward and grab the log.

20 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Why can't this year be last year??? So many awesome things, so befitting for the 40th anniversary.

Back to the sets:

- What is "forest manipulator" supposed to be?

I said this, this years sets are way better then last years offerings if I'm honest - but still. This year is offering some great new sets and a some new parts from the looks. Can't wait to get my hands on some of the new sets this year.

The mack truck is still out of stock where I am. : - ( 

1 hour ago, jrx said:

I can confirm.

I think so. The center part of the new valve has the same size as the the old one. The pin holes are on its sides. The movement of the new valve was very smooth. I would say I could use it continuously. But: I only had a couple of minutes with the new valve.

so it looks more like this?

39988316122_6d3aaabcd6_h.jpg

46 minutes ago, efferman said:

That pinhole positions have more sense because of stability :thumbup:

51 minutes ago, efferman said:

Sort of, but not exactly. But it's very close (as far as I remember :wink:)

That's seems unnecessarily large and ugly. I can't believe Lego would make anything that ungainly

Edited by Cardboy

It's not in the right proportions, but the overall impression comes near the real thing.

1 minute ago, efferman said:

next year i have to go to nuremberg myself. Is so bad to have no good pictures.

I just might as well. Such a shame! This time of year we usually have a whole surfeit of close-ups and demonstrations. Ugh, I want more on 42081. I demand to know more about this mysterious loader!

27 minutes ago, efferman said:

Is so bad to have no good pictures

To have no pictures at all :angry: Maybe next year they'll be not as strict as this year.