8 hours ago, rener said:

I also suppose it has to be able to make some kind of sudden drop, I wonder if and how that will be done...

That's actually not how pile drivers work. The block contains a 2-stroke diesel engine, with the top of the pole acting like the cylinder. The thuds you hear is not the block hitting the pole, but the diesel detonating and pushing the pole down and the block back up.

Though it's well possible the model uses the sudden drop mechanism one would think of intuitively.

The light for 42079 model presentation looks a bit tricky. From it looks like the model might have parts in Bright Light Orange instead of Yellow. I hope I'm wrong!

5 hours ago, pleegwat said:

That's actually not how pile drivers work. The block contains a 2-stroke diesel engine, with the top of the pole acting like the cylinder. The thuds you hear is not the block hitting the pole, but the diesel detonating and pushing the pole down and the block back up.

Though it's well possible the model uses the sudden drop mechanism one would think of intuitively.

There is no engine in the weighted block, they simply inject fuel in the cylinder then when the block drops driving the pile in, the fuel is compressed to the point of ignition driving the block back up where more fuel is injected and it does make a sudden drop. Like a one cylinder engine with the pile as a piston. The difference being the cylinder block moves up and down. You are right though when the fuel detonates the pile is driven in while the block is pushed back up at the same time. 

17 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

There is no engine in the weighted block, they simply inject fuel in the cylinder then when the block drops driving the pile in, the fuel is compressed to the point of ignition driving the block back up where more fuel is injected and it does make a sudden drop. Like a one cylinder engine with the pile as a piston. The difference being the cylinder block moves up and down. You are right though when the fuel detonates the pile is driven in while the block is pushed back up at the same time. 

Yeah, that's what I meant.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:26 PM, tri2get7882 said:

I found this video on youtube and it showed that the LEGO 42082 B-Model is a pile driver. Unfortunately i don't know how to upload an image since i'm new. If you type in LEGO 42082 in YouTube it will come up with it. It was posted around an hour ago.

Here is the link: 

B-model is beautiful...

On 6/20/2018 at 1:22 PM, Rygar said:

B-model is beautiful...

Disagree,

B model to me is just lazy on the part of Lego designers.  It's A model chassis and upper body with a modified boom.  It just looks like they ran out of time and stuck that together and said, that will do.  

20 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

Disagree,

B model to me is just lazy on the part of Lego designers.  It's A model chassis and upper body with a modified boom.  It just looks like they ran out of time and stuck that together and said, that will do.  

You're probably closer to the truth than you think, Paul. :look:

15 hours ago, blondasek said:

@Jim do you know if TLG will send you 2h2018 sets earlier in order to prepare reviews before 1st of August?

I hope so, but I haven't got a clue.  

On 6/29/2018 at 8:22 PM, blondasek said:

@Jim do you know if TLG will send you 2h2018 sets earlier in order to prepare reviews before 1st of August?

Just got word that sets will be offered for review. Hopefully they will arrive by the end of next week, so I can start building in the weekend.

I will try a different setup for these reviews by the way. Since the write-up is the most time-consuming part, I will try to come up with a setup that allows me to publish more reviews in less time. Not sure how this will be accomplished, but I have to try something, because doing four elaborate reviews is simply taking too much time. And for most sets, you will simply want some decent pictures and possibly a video here and there.

Just now, mortenm said:

Sounds great. Can't wait for those reviews :)

:thumbup:

I will probably do 42082, 42081, 42080 and finally 42079, so from big to small.

38 minutes ago, Jim said:

:thumbup:

I will probably do 42082, 42081, 42080 and finally 42079, so from big to small.

Damn I wanted to see the forklift first but still are good news.

Just now, jorgeopesi said:

Damn I wanted to see the forklift first but still are good news.

I will probably work/build simultaneously, so there is a chance the forklift will be online sooner :thumbup:

@Jim : that is good news, can you perhaps publish parts lists ahead of reviews (if you are allowed and it is not published anywhere else yet), thanks

Just now, Ivan_M said:

@Jim : that is good news, can you perhaps publish parts lists ahead of reviews (if you are allowed and it is not published anywhere else yet), thanks

Embargo is 1st of August, so I can provide part lists on that date, no problem.

10 hours ago, Jim said:

you will simply want some decent pictures and possibly a video here and there

I've got to say that i really enjoy your write-ups (and your pictures, of course).

I form my opinion on new sets based on sariel's reviews for playability and function, and your reviews for the technical insides of the models. :classic:

1 hour ago, schraubedrin said:

I've got to say that i really enjoy your write-ups (and your pictures, of course).

Thanks! I will see what I can do :wink: 

...and we are waiting to see what sets "can doo"...

Just now, I_Igor said:

...and we are waiting to see what sets "can doo"...

Or can't doo :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Or can't doo :tongue:

Or that if you like reverse psychology :wink: