12 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The clamp and the blade work simultaneously. The clamps grab and the blade kicks and slices.

I know, that's what I meant. :wink: Looks like we'll have to wait for videos to actually see it in action.

13 hours ago, Paul B said:

I am looking forward to seeing more details on 42080, it could be a good set if it is done well.

The evidence suggests it hasn't been.

Have to say, from what I've seen, don't care much for 42080 either and I generally like most sets. Has the wrong tires, rather smallish, I think instead of eight small tires, it should have 4 larger ones. The engine compartment seems too flat and overly large. The whole attachment arm seems unwieldy and doesn't appear to have much reach. 

Hopefully it looks better once we get more images. I was really looking forward to this one, so I hope my opinion changes. 

18 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Have to say, from what I've seen, don't care much for 42080 either and I generally like most sets. Has the wrong tires, rather smallish, I think instead of eight small tires, it should have 4 larger ones. The engine compartment seems too flat and overly large. The whole attachment arm seems unwieldy and doesn't appear to have much reach. 

Hopefully it looks better once we get more images. I was really looking forward to this one, so I hope my opinion changes. 

Right. The engine section is way too big and bulky, and the dimensions are all off. Totally agree. I'm fully aware that this is all preliminary, so I will reserve final opinions for when we get the real McCoy. It doesn't look good now, though.

Just now, Johnny1360 said:

Just seems like it would be a perfect candidate for the Claas wheels as well, which I need. 

Yes but smaller...we have to consider that 56 x 26 Baloons are used in other themes as well, so LEGO is playing on economics card (again) :wink:

7 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Yes but smaller...we have to consider that 56 x 26 Baloons are used in other themes as well, so LEGO is playing on economics card (again) :wink:

Sorry, I guess I don't understand, the Claas wheels are in production and are currently being used in other sets, so why would it be more economical for them to use the balloon tires, if I as the end user are paying for them. 

If got it correctly, I_Igor meant that existing Claas tires are too big for this model, and TLG used the common small balloon tires (smaller + commonly used everywhere = cheaper). Claas tires aren't cheap and, if they appears in this set, the price (that was already raised in 2018) become even higher.

2 hours ago, Void_S said:

If got it correctly, I_Igor meant that existing Claas tires are too big for this model, 

Okay, that makes sense then, out of scale. 

I still think it looks ridiculous with eight tiny tires instead of four huge ones. Not really seen many of those machines though, outside of a few lumberjack shows. They all seem to have huge tractor like tires. 

Again, I might think differently once we see more images. 

2 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I do not think that 42054 tires will appear in that set. They would be way out of scale.

Yes it definitely does not use 42054 wheels. 

3 hours ago, Void_S said:

Claas tires aren't cheap and, if they appears in this set, the price (that was already raised in 2018) become even higher.

Yes we wouldn't want another 42070 fiasco. 

Tbh, I would not call 42070 for a fiasco.

15 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Tires are quite right, for that scale. 4 tires, you want to get stuck? I would rather have 6 or 8 wheels on these machines. Engine compartments? seems ok. Attachment arm, that is a bit weird yes as is the harvester head.

The Harvester Head seems to be a mix of a Bunching Saw and and.... something.

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

still think it looks ridiculous with eight tiny tires instead of four huge ones. Not really seen many of those machines though, outside of a few lumberjack shows. They all seem to have huge tractor like tires.

I think that the idea was to replicate a such thing: caterpillar treads over the pneumatic wheels, like John Deere 1270G 8W.

1270g_8w_1_rrd_642x462.jpg

What I don’t get is why they didn’t follow a design more like in reality, with a single armed boom and a rotatable cabin over the articulated pivot, and the arm turntable in the middle of the front axles - it would have looked SO much better than what we’re gonna get. Something like a Logset 8H GTE

Edited by Bartybum

I think I did mention it, but I agree, it does look like a Ponsse Scorpion. It just seems to be a bit oddly proportioned.

Overall, I kind of wonder why this set even has PF. An electric compressor, with no other functions, adds very little playability to the set, and only raises the price. Far better would have been to use an air tank, and leave the PF out entirely. Manually pumped pneumatics work plenty fast. Kind of a bad call for Lego, as removing the PF would only improve this set, allowing for better proportions and a more attractive price.

Since its B model is a logging truck, and it's supposed to be a Ponsse Scorpion King lookalike, maybe the B model will resemble the Ponsse Buffalo.

Kết quả hình ảnh cho ponsse buffalo

8 small wheels, articulated steering, crane arm. Highly likely as a B model candidate.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

12 hours ago, Void_S said:

If got it correctly, I_Igor meant that existing Claas tires are too big for this model, and TLG used the common small balloon tires (smaller + commonly used everywhere = cheaper). Claas tires aren't cheap and, if they appears in this set, the price (that was already raised in 2018) become even higher.

That is what I meant :thumbup:

Thanks for clearing it for me

I think that Lego is trying to move forward with their heavy equipment designs, with a more modernized, smaller more nimble look, as realized in the modern world. While I seem to be stuck in the last century, with large brutish heavy equipment, that just overcomes obstacles with brute force. The stuff I grew up with in other words. 

Of course this is a good thing, after all they can't just keep making the same stuff over and over. 

I do look forward to seeing and building this newer more modern wave of Technic sets. 

It definitely is inspired by the Ponsse, but even then they still decided to stick the cab all the way at the front for some dumb reason.

I’m all for modern Technic designs, but they need to have the right proportions.

Let's not forget about IP rights and that kind of legal stuff. If TLG would model it after a reallife machine (recognizable as a Ponsse or John Deere for instance), it would either be a problem for TLG, or a licence with higher set costs for us. I like the mix of reallife elements with some fictional aspect to it. If I want an exact copy of a real model, I can always MOD or MOC it, or buy a metal scale model of it.

Just my 2ct.

Forest harvesters have more or less identical appearances though, so it would be hard to make a case for Lego copying any designs.

Alright, after a little research, I have to admit 42080 isn't as ridiculous looking as I first thought. There is in fact quite a few forest harvesters built in this style, same with the ones I am more familiar with. Sorry if I riled anyone with my uneducated opinion. 

However now I have been inspired to create my own harvester, probably start with the Volvo EW160E as my parts base. 

Thanks for all the insightful responses.