Photos of all the other themes have surfaced so I hope so.

Update, technic pics are only of 1hy models...... Awwww.

Edited by valenciaeric

Every year we get high quality pictures of the finalized sets to look at and if we like them we then get to look forward to them. The excitement and anticipation is all part of the fun. But this year we don't get that, it kinda feels like being robbed in one way. I don't know if I have a right to feel that way HOWEVER, this is all the fault of the copycats, not Lego. It's those brands that I don't want to name that blatantly steel the hard work of Lego designers (and moccers) and sell it as their own. They have at times released their copy before Lego released the official version. And the way I see it, under the law, the buying and selling of copycat products should be seen as handling stolen goods, because the intellectual property has been stolen. This goes for the websites and shops that sells them, and the individuals that buy them, and any copycat products that enter the country should be seized as stolen goods.

I do put the blame towards the copycats myself, just feel robbed of a good look at what is coming our way. :hmpf_bad:

People keep repeating that it's because of bootleg companies but I have yet to see any proof or argument why it would be so. Even if they were given enough access to look at the model all day long, they would never be able to match it 1:1, which is what they do. I don't see how it would give them a headstart either - maybe some new mold that's simple enough not to need exact measurements but specific enough it takes time to prepare (and none come to mind). I have also never seen a bootleg set released ahead of Lego (preorders notwithstanding).

It's much more likely they have either someone on the inside in Lego itself, or perhaps more likely in a store somewhere where they can get early copies.

I don't TLG are ever going to divulge the reasons for any of this. I'm keeping quiet from now on and just waiting for pics. I've got plenty to keep me busy in the meantime. :classic:

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This thread is considered dead for the next 4 months.

I have feeling that something will pop-up sooner :wink:

23 hours ago, Huaojozu said:

It's much more likely they have either someone on the inside in Lego itself, or perhaps more likely in a store somewhere where they can get early copies.

Considering that lego has factories in china these days, that is the obvious route. Generally speaking nothing is safe, IP-wise, over there. Chances are that once lego ships official molds over to their chinese factories, they get "borrowed" the very first night after the official Lego shift stops and copied for bootleg production.

And personally i still think Lego should try to compete with the bootlegs as well as the legal route, on some themes (*cough* star wars *cough*) the $/piece is waaay out of whack, and its getting really hard to justify the asking price. On other themes such as technic, they somehow manage to make some spectacularly bad sets and take them into production (the hovercraft), or go down the path to repeating past mistakes (the recent pullback racers)

Meanwhile the bootleggers manage to find a niche not only by pricing (which is one obvious discriminating factor), but also in making discontinued sets available again, or by selling MOCs (I appreciate that this violates IP as well), which makes it much easier to acquire some models then the usual bricklink route. Lego could tackle stuff like this even by just simply producing some rare parts again and selling those

Okay, let's end the bootleg discussion here, before we derail the topic.

On 2/18/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This thread is considered dead for the next 4 months.

R.I.P. this, and the 42082 and 42083 threads....

Fun Fact: On this day, in 2016, the Porsche Thread got 39 pages filled with hype and speculation   :laugh:

Another fact: The first official video of Porsche was released on April 25 of 2016

So maybe should we wait till April for official confirmation?

Edited by Jonfensu

Yes, and until then I'd propose we'd leave this thread in Davy Jone's Locker. Every now and then there will be questions like "anything new?" or "are we there yet?" or "when will there be new images" *sigh*

I'm pretty sure that we will see partial presentations of new sets in months before start of sale. Typical case of this new approach is how they handled new Speed Champions sets. That way each sets get it's fair share of attention. 

And, if not before, most sets should be up for thorough "inspection" at LEGO Fan Media day in Billund, end of may.

Going back to the Volvo Autonomous for a moment, I'm thinking the B-model is going to be similar to one of these:

Looks like the panels in 42081 could build something like it.

EDIT: Yep, just spotted the post back at the start of the thread; forgot about it. :blush:

Edited by Maaboo35
Goldfish memory

52 minutes ago, ctx1769 said:

Going off the images can anybody identify the green parts except the panels on the forester? 

What green parts are there to see besides the panels?

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen