Oh dear god, now I want pictures, even if I know Lego is keeping it to themselves until May or so

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

But like... it’s a forklift. What were you expecting? :sceptic: 

Perhaps front wheel drive and small (2 cylinder) engine?

46 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps front wheel drive and small (2 cylinder) engine?

Oh is that not in it? I just kinda assumed it was. That is a bit disappointing /:

2 hours ago, Timoonn said:

You're not afraid by the totaly ridiculous price?:wacko:

I agree that the price on 42083 is too jacked up.

But apart from that you've done nothing but cry about the 2H sets, most of us feel that this is the best line up in years, but you keep pissing on that.

Why?

38 minutes ago, degenerate said:

I agree that the price on 42083 is too jacked up.

But apart from that you've done nothing but cry about the 2H sets, most of us feel that this is the best line up in years, but you keep pissing on that.

Why?

I could say the exact same kind of things, you've done nothing but acclaiming and speculating about 2H sets. you do not decide for others if something is great or not, it's a personal opinion.:wacko:
I know that its the forum guideline to find everything awesome, even the worst, but that's not mine. Sorry to be distant from that, I have the right to find this batch not so extraordinary. Apart the crane (which still hides its secrets, i'm hoping for great gearbox), a little fenwick (the previous one is from 2005) and a new pneumatic valve.
For sure its better than 2016 and 2017, but its not stellar, even with 5 sets instead of 3 (quantity =/= quality). Im now back into Lego collection since 12 years, loving technics. Maybe you are lacking of hindsight or your requirements are low to qualify a model as "great". Maybe not.:look:

Just my opinion, if you do not like it, it's not my problem. And I'm totaly free to "piss on that", and you are free to enjoy the upcoming sets :sweet:

Edited by Timoonn

I mean, @Timoonn is entitled to his opinion.

With 42081, I agree that it does look like it might be a bit boring from a functional standpoint, but that’s to be expected. It’s a front loader - they really only do one thing. Although for me the appearance really saves it, since we haven’t had a futuristic vehicle before.

I’m just happy that we’re not getting standard cars and trucks and instead heavy machinery.

Edited by Bartybum

I guess one off the main reasons I'm liking these sets so much is getting so many new parts for my collection, that I have been sorely lacking. That and I'm particularly fond of the vehicles they represent. I know not everyone has the same taste as me, there's many a great set I just have no interest in, 42054 and 42055 for instance or even the Porsche. 

Fortunately there are so many sets to choose from, almost anyone can find something they like. Those are the ones I choose to talk about, seems pointless to talk about the ones I don't like. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Oh is that not in it? I just kinda assumed it was. That is a bit disappointing /:

I do not know, but it would be nice to have for the first time in forklift...

8 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

We've never had a forklift with an engine, so it'd be a first.

True

7 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Snip

Of course you're free to feel any way you want about anything, I just wanted to know what about these sets you found so wrong or bad.

Sure I've speculated, because that's all we can do at this point, we don't know enough to form a solid opinion yet imo (maybe you do).

I have plenty of piss to pour on this years line up, mainly on the Bugatti, but you don't see me complaining about it because it would get really old, really fast.

Don't know why you think it's a forum guideline to find everything awesome, that's hardly the case.

tl;dr don't just state your opinion over and over again, motivate it, sure you don't have to but it makes it easier to understand the why and easier to discuss it.

My 2 cents, no hard feelings :classic:

36 minutes ago, degenerate said:

My 2 cents, no hard feelings :classic:

Cool! Great we've got that settled.

Time to move on :thumbup:

12 hours ago, BigFudge said:

I am curious, did they mention any technical specs vis-a-vis the shortcomings of the previous model (i.e. the porsche)? I dunno like "We realize the previous model was fundamentally flawed but we fixed those now!"

The Porsche wasn't flawed. It was intentionally designed incorrectly and working improperly. 
(Do I need some sort of emoticon after this sentence?! Not sure how that works)

I think people have their expectations too high with Technic cars. Once you have a gearbox in it and suspension I don’t see what else there is to add. 8-speed gear boxes are cool but how different are they from 4-speed gear boxes. Since 8880 we have had supercars that are as about as realistic as you could hope for with Lego. There is only so many variations on a supercar Lego can do. So how different will these cars be. 

2 minutes ago, Sarutaus said:

I think people have their expectations too high with Technic cars. Once you have a gearbox in it and suspension I don’t see what else there is to add. 8-speed gear boxes are cool but how different are they from 4-speed gear boxes. Since 8880 we have had supercars that are as about as realistic as you could hope for with Lego. There is only so many variations on a supercar Lego can do. So how different will these cars be. 

I think the news here (apart from possibly good mechanics like he gearbox suspension etc etc.) is the fusion of technic and system like on the Mack Anthem to increase realism further, especially aestethically speaking.

8 minutes ago, BigFudge said:

I think the news here (apart from possibly good mechanics like he gearbox suspension etc etc.) is the fusion of technic and system like on the Mack Anthem to increase realism further, especially aestethically speaking.

Good point actually but I be more in interested if we got some Lego Technic sets with system brick shells. Which would be very cool. i.e. models similar to Model Team or some of Sariels builds (tow truck 2).

I think that, as suggested before me, indeed some AFOL are expecting (way) to much out of a building system that is/was intended as a toy. Don't get me wrong, I also rank a model with cool functions higher than one which has few, BUT if you want super detailed, mechanically 100% accurate representation of looks ánd functions, LEGO is not the toy for you.

IMHO then you should consider real scale modeling, which can involve 3D printing, cnc-milling, casting of parts etcetera. 

For me LEGO is a hobby which I enjoy. And as time goes on my creations and the creations LEGO puts out get more advanced every year (okay, maybe not every year). But for me some level of compromise is always there with LEGO which doesn't bother me at all. Sure you can find things in the LEGO designs that could have been better but hey, that's easy enough to fix right? 

And it's that type of thinking that lacks vision :laugh: . What if Lego was to release their first Technic car and say "it has a gearbox, an engine, steering, what more do you want? If you want suspension on the front wheels or a full body well this is not the toy for you!". If Lego had that attitude they would have gone bust by now. Tomorrow is built and owned by the dreamers of today! They have to keep improving and innovating just to survive. And Technic is about mechanical wonders. So the Bugatti SHOULD improve on the Porsche mechanically. Weather or not I have expectations that it WILL is a different matter. I hope it will, but honestly I have no expectations this time round, high or low. It'll be what it will be.

37 minutes ago, allanp said:

And it's that type of thinking that lacks vision :laugh: . What if Lego was to release their first Technic car and say "it has a gearbox, an engine, steering, what more do you want? If you want suspension on the front wheels or a full body well this is not the toy for you!". If Lego had that attitude they would have gone bust by now. Tomorrow is built and owned by the dreamers of today! They have to keep improving and innovating just to survive. And Technic is about mechanical wonders. So the Bugatti SHOULD improve on the Porsche mechanically. Weather or not I have expectations that it WILL is a different matter. I hope it will, but honestly I have no expectations this time round, high or low. It'll be what it will be.

That pretty much sums it up :thumbup:.

1 hour ago, Sjoemie himself said:

I think that, as suggested before me, indeed some AFOL are expecting (way) to much out of a building system that is/was intended as a toy. Don't get me wrong, I also rank a model with cool functions higher than one which has few, BUT if you want super detailed, mechanically 100% accurate representation of looks ánd functions, LEGO is not the toy for you.

IMHO then you should consider real scale modeling, which can involve 3D printing, cnc-milling, casting of parts etcetera. 

For me LEGO is a hobby which I enjoy. And as time goes on my creations and the creations LEGO puts out get more advanced every year (okay, maybe not every year). But for me some level of compromise is always there with LEGO which doesn't bother me at all. Sure you can find things in the LEGO designs that could have been better but hey, that's easy enough to fix right? 

Its not the building system that is the problem.  How can it be when adult builders (MOCers) come up with absolutely brilliant models that blow LEGO builds out of the water?

AFOLs are expecting way too much of LEGO not as a building system, but as a business model.  LEGO's goal is to meet the demands of the global populace, not the esoteric few of an online forum with highly specific needs and desires.  When trying to sell something to many more than the esoteric few, there are many, many restrictions placed on the product in the eyes of the specialized.  Take away the restrictions of trying to meet pricing demands, demands of those under any licensing agreement, current LEGO mold/piece availability, etc.  and all sorts of possibilities exist.  Not sure why this is such hard concept to comprehend. 

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Not sure why this is such hard concept to comprehend. 

If there is demand for an 800$ Falcon, I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be demand for an 800$ Technic set merging AFOL level insides with System outsides to produce the ultimate collectible model for car enthusiasts. 

3 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

If there is demand for an 800$ Falcon, I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be demand for an 800$ Technic set merging AFOL level insides with System outsides to produce the ultimate collectible model for car enthusiasts. 

You're probably right, and since the Falcon is still in high demand (still sold out everywhere) I can imagine that some experts @ Lego are thinking about such a set for Technic, or other themes...

45 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

Yea... I see it very different.  The SW and Technic markets are VERY different things.  Not even close.  I don't know the actual difference in sales, but I do know, that according to many, it was the SW line that saved TLG when it was failing in the early 2000s.  There are many out there that don't even consider Technic LEGO.  So.... apples and oranges here.  Not to mention your example of the MF is a great success because it is so visually appealing of a pop culture icon.   Which essentially what 42056 was.  A type of cultural icon that was huge, cool, expensive and visually appealing.  But that is not really what is it discussion here.  What is on discussion is TLG producing something huge and terrific like the Porsche, or the Bugatti, but with more functional aspects in mind than just the looks.  Bringing up an example of the new MF does nothing to the argument because its not like there are really any functional aspects of the MF that would be desirable to the group of Technic AFOLs that we are discussing......

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

How can it be when adult builders (MOCers) come up with absolutely brilliant models that blow LEGO builds out of the water?

AFOLs are expecting way too much of LEGO not as a building system, but as a business model.  LEGO's goal is to meet the demands of the global populace, not the esoteric few of an online forum with highly specific needs and desires.  When trying to sell something to many more than the esoteric few, there are many, many restrictions placed on the product in the eyes of the specialized.  Take away the restrictions of trying to meet pricing demands, demands of those under any licensing agreement, current LEGO mold/piece availability, etc.  and all sorts of possibilities exist.  Not sure why this is such hard concept to comprehend. 

Among those additional restrictions that AFOL models don't face, is ease of construction by the target audience. Most models we make are cool, but much harder to build than official sets. (I know this from making instructions of my own models, which results in much harder instructions than that of official sets, even when I would add more steps than I normally do.) Another restriction is that models absolutely must work out-of-the-box. AFOLs can cut corners where afunction is too slow, only works with full batteries, has a bit of slack in the system, isn't aligned fully, etc. Official models can't - they have to work when built by an 8-year-old.

And, from my personal oint of view, Technic sets are getting more complex then ever before (partly caused by all the new small parts of the last few years). The recent red and yellow axles prove this point, IMO. Apparently the complexication had to be balanced with better cueing in other places to prevent mass misbuilds among children.