I second who thinks that the Batmobile will not have a real steering system (like it was in 8183 and 8184)... looking at the preliminary image, I think it will use skid steering (you can clearly see both wheels on same size show an arrow, meaning they are motorized).

12 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Another catalog=based observation: the box for the 42083 is much longer than that of 42056 but only as tall as that of 42080. I have the tiniest hunch that it will not be a car with such dimensions.

Another interesting observation while on the subject of box dimensions, the box for 42082 is massive, same dimensions as 42055, 17cm deep!
42070 for example only has a depth of 124mm and 42043 had roughly the same.
And I also have a tiny hunch that 42083 will not be a car, I really hope it's not :classic:

3 minutes ago, jacumbo said:

can someone send me adress with preliminary pics please

Please don't ask for pictures in this topic.

28 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

but only as tall as that of 42080

42080 and 42056 have the same box height.

42056 and 42083 are pretty much the same except the length of 42083 is 9 CMs longer. Though the box for 42056, although very nice, was smaller than I expected given the piece count and size of the finished model. And 42082 really doesn't look big enough to need a BWE sized box. It looks to me to be the same as 42009 except with the front half of the undercarriage missing and simpler stabilisers.

8 hours ago, Jim said:

That is indeed the case, but let's try to see things from a different angle. At least TLG is venturing into the app controlled non-IR electronics. That is a great leap forward. So Batmobile ugly....most definitely! New eletronics cool....most definitely!

Non IR remote control? Good.

Non IR control in a Big Ugly Motor Piece(BUMP)? Not so good.

If it's a new receiver, I'm all for it. But if it's a new kind of BUMP, I'm not as much. That dramatically reduces the coolness of a set, with a single use part. Best case, we get a Lego Bluetooth receiver. Worst case, we get a solid brick of electronics with a few pieces stuck to it, not very like Lego.

12 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

Non IR control in a Big Ugly Motor Piece(BUMP)? Not so good.

Of course, I don't think the BUMP is cool. But this is opening up all sorts of possibilities for new PF. So, I expect this to be introduced in the Technic line as well. In some way.

I love the build up and guessing! 42082 is a definite for me... and i kind of hope 83 isn't a car, there's not much else to do with one. Would love to see something unexpected. Like the BWE, never saw that coming and i love it! Having said that, a truly special flagship WRC car would be pretty good.. or a Dakar 4x4 truck. they're monsters...

20 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

If it's a new receiver, I'm all for it. But if it's a new kind of BUMP, I'm not as much. That dramatically reduces the coolness of a set, with a single use part. Best case, we get a Lego Bluetooth receiver. Worst case, we get a solid brick of electronics with a few pieces stuck to it, not very like Lego.

It's quite likely we'll see something WiFi/Bluetooth based in the new trains, probably/hopefully a new combined battery box/receiver. I personally think it's unlikely to be compatible with current PF though, thus limiting its uses until we get some more motors. On which note, as the motor won't/can't be in that block for a train, we're probably/hopefully getting at least a new train motor. Whatever happens, it's certainly exciting. 

4 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Have you tried Boost?  The single-piece motor battery box is limited, but it's not awful.  It has additional ports for motors / sensors.  It wouldn't be good for Technic PF system, but in the Boost context it's pretty ok. :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Have you tried Boost?  The single-piece motor battery box is limited, but it's not awful.  It has additional ports for motors / sensors.  It wouldn't be good for Technic PF system, but in the Boost context it's pretty ok. :shrug_oh_well:

I have not tried boost, but in general I am not fond of vehicles that have an integrated chassis. But then, maybe Lego is going on the idea that kids might not be willing or able to do relatively complex gear assembly. Or maybe it is just faster to build overall, which kids like.  However, I'd say that it would be cheaper for Lego to develop a new receiver, rather than a new chassis piece. I say this because the last integrated PF chassis was only used in two sets.

Also, for any new PF equipment, like the supposed new train motors, I don't think Lego would use the Boost connectors. Why would they? Most PF applications have no need for the integrated tachometers the Boost motors have, and several PF applications need more than one device per port, so the lack of stackability is a major disadvantage. Like I've said before, Boost is far more likely to be the future of Mindstorms vs. Power Functions.

9 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Also, for any new PF equipment, like the supposed new train motors, I don't think Lego would use the Boost connectors. Why would they?

For consistency across their product range. For example, to be able to use a Boost hub to build an automated train.

2 supercars on the bounce? hope its something unexpected and not another car... 16+ doesn't = car, could be anything.. and hopefully it is!

5 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

The age for the 42083 is 16+ (like the Porsche). There is a good chance that it is a new supercar.

Hi. Welcome to EB!!!

16+ means that it's a complicated set. Could be anything though. Most likely a supercar, but you never know :sweet:

23 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

The age for the 42083 is 16+ (like the Porsche). There is a good chance that it is a new supercar.

Where did we get this info?   :classic:

If it’s 16+ then it’s probably intended as a collector’s item like 42056 was. I think it’s safe to assume it’s a sports car.

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

If it’s 16+ then it’s probably intended as a collector’s item like 42056 was. I think it’s safe to assume it’s a sports car.

I agree with this assessment. Makes sense.

17 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

I mean that it isn't a set targeted to children. Even the BWE is for age 12-16.

Valid point. Combined with the previous comment, I'm pretty sure it is a supercar. That's also more or less what TLG designers hinted.

9 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

The box is a different shape to the Porsche one - wider.

Then it has to be a longer supercar :laugh:

16+, collectors item, complex, the one set released so far was a supercar, none of these point to 42083 being a supercar, or any car. But the fact that the box is blank suggests it's based on an existing IP. I have a feeling it will be a car of some kind but really we have no evidence to support that yet.