Just now, zweihander said:

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think I'm the only one that bought a set just because of "that new piece". And it keeps people's interest and curiousity on new models for a longer time. I'm not saying it's their main strategy for selling sets, but it helps :)

A set can be more interesting when it has new parts. There's no denying that.

Sets are a lot more interesting when they have new parts, and useful recolors. For a builder like me, that's really why I buy/am interested in set.

New parts and the new possibilities they create, either for new functionality or to make an existing functionality more mechanically authentic is by far the main thing that keeps me an AFOL year after year. Not every set I buy has to have this, as an AFOL I find myself wanting more sets even when I can't really justify it, I just want it, because I'm an AFOL. But if they was to stop releasing new parts and creating those new possibilities for new functionality and increased mechanical authenticity then how many years would it be before I lose interest in new sets all together? Ide be an adult fan of old Lego, AFOOL?! :laugh:

12 hours ago, tohan said:

It's funny how new parts are so eagerly expected. I see nothing wrong simply getting new sets with possibly new ways to use existing parts. IMHO, new parts are the least creative way to solve a problem and that's not what Lego is about... On a personal note, I used to resent the move to studless and the plethora of specialized parts that it brought. I've come to peace with it but I would much much rather see new creative solutions using existing parts than new parts... where's the fun in that ?

Couldn't agree more!

40 minutes ago, Brick Lover said:

Yeah but it means;

1st stage:

2018 - eight sets 42071…'78

2019 - nine sets 42084…'92???

2nd stage:

2018 - nine sets 42071…'78 + 42084/2019/

2019 - eight sets 42085…'92???

|Possibly 3rd stage|

2019 - nine sets 42085…'92 + 42096/2020/

2020 - eight sets 42097…42104

|Possibly 4th stage|

2019 - nine sets 42085…'92 + 42096/2020/

2020 - nine sets 42097…42104 + 42109/2021/

etc.

I hope it's understandable… ☺️

So every year they bring a set from the next year to complete the set number to nine because it's only eight yet. ?

Uhm, what?

There will be 14 sets this year, 42071-42084, we don't have any clue about how many sets there will be in 2019 or 2020, we still don't know all about the sets we're getting this year even.

I think they just didn't have a nice, small set in the $10-15 range except for the pullbacks, such as 42020, 42031, 42044. 42084 fits that nicely.

Also, we know they've pushed sets back years before (42068 was going to be 42051) so I think it was a later decision, but they realised they had a nice, small set complete that could be released this year instead of next is all. Note that it also is in the same scale as the hovercraft I think which is a tempting purchase for those that get 42084 maybe?

Just a heads up, we're having a discussion about 2018 trains over in the train forum, and apparently there's a new PF receiver + remote for the trains. Likely WIFI enabled.

12 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Just a heads up, we're having a discussion about 2018 trains over in the train forum, and apparently there's a new PF receiver + remote for the trains. Likely WIFI enabled.

Really?  In what set, I gotta check that out at work on Thursday.

Not really looked much at the trains section of the 2018 catalogue but haven't seen anything suggesting WiFi, all all I recall seeing is the same old 9 speed control remote.

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

PF2!!!!

8 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

That would be (or, that is) some great news. Would be very cool to see TLG venture into the Wifi enabled PF.

What is the source of the info? 

Because 2018 is a new train year on Lego´s roadmap, it makes sense to migrate now so as not to wait another 4 years with obsolete parts not used in other sets. The PF set has been in and out of stock at Lego Shop recently, so there are signs it is on the way out and I think this was going to be the last year for the Mindstorms set too.

Since they are going to migrate everything eventually, maybe 2019 will be the date for Technic as that would also be the year for the next RC flagship.

Wifi? Do you want your LEGO online? Easily hackable too? I know we live in the age of "all things online" (heck, even lightbulbs!), but this sounds rather silly and not at all appropriate for a toy (yes, I know kids use tablets and smartphones but those are not toys either)

2.4GHz is what the rest of the world is doing with RC, But if TLG decides on that they'll have a boatload of problems to handle (that is people mating or trying to mate proper RC parts (540 motors, multichannel remotes, cars lost due to the many hundred meter range, channel interference with other 2.4GHz stuff (that band is rather crowded now btw) and freakin' flying stuff!)

Bluetooth? Perhaps, they're using it now in Boost

Most likely a proprietary system is my guess. They've been doing that with remote controlled things since 1968 (the whistle train)

There's nothing really wrong with the current PF stuff, TLG is using IR for a reason :wink:

Edited by 1974

Boxes of both new trains feature power functions logo and graphic of new "brick" with wi-fi signal waves coming out of it. 

Edit : Well that's rather interesting then! TLG must have reserved millions of IP addys for that venture. I wonder if they'll keep the protocol open to other third party developers like the PF system?

Cheers

Ole

Edited by 1974

2 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Sure, they don't "look" like Bluetooth waves?

Oh, i just googled, both Bluetooth and wi-fi waves "logos" looks the same. I guess i just assumed them wifi because i wanted them to be wifi.

Sorry, I edited my reply so the quote makes no sense, but yes I did write that initially

Really, you don't want your LEGO online. BT is the best compromise. Yet another proprietary TLG system is not cool in this day and age. BT can get other third party developers on the train (hehe) and have a longer longevty

Edited by 1974

If its wifi its ip address will be a private one - 192.168.x.x - so there'd be no need to reserve millions of public ip addreses? The router's DHCP will just issue an available one... surely its just a private network device

I don't think this is wifi-enabled, there's no any reason to choose wifi over BT. Releasing a BT-enabled controller brick in the train set line first would be a smart move from Lego. They have the technology in Boost already, they only need to release a train motor and a battery box with the new connector and they can test drive the new PF control system this year to look for any issues then introduce this and the new PF v2 motors in the Technic line (hopefully) next year. 

I agree, I can't see wifi being used, at least not for normal power functions. You'd surely need some sort of interface/screen for entering wifi passwords, which seems a bit excessive to essentially send an on/off signal. 

I'm happy to be proved wrong though

if you compare BT vs Wifi specifications, there's no reason to implement wifi that i can see either. Its a sledgehammer to crack a nut..

Wi-Fi is doable in a "toy" scenario: many toy quadcopters use it for control and image streaming. What happens is that the toy creates its own network, disconnected from the Internet, and the phone connects to it. If the "toy" is set up to accept a single device connected to it, I don't think there is reason to worry about security.

Then again, Bluetooth might be cheaper and/or less battery-intensive. Still, IMO Wi-Fi is more future-proof due to its greater (potential) range and bandwidth, not to mention greater compatibility (802.11b has been around for many years, BT 4.0 LE is quite new).