43 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

It is a bit small image...

Opening side doors are explaining the huge gap in the roof.

Back to the shock again, it looks red to me, but hard to identify. The only red shock I know so far, is the on from 42056 and they are hard ones. Has there been soft or medium red shocks in the past? I thought, grey is soft, yellow (and red) is hard.

5 minutes ago, MegaRoi said:

Back to the shock again, it looks red to me, but hard to identify. The only red shock I know so far, is the on from 42056 and they are hard ones. Has there been soft or medium red shocks in the past? I thought, grey is soft, yellow (and red) is hard.

8475 had red shocks which were not hard.

It looks like there is a 3x11 DBG panel in the middle of the rear trunk of the First Responder. It serves as a base for 2 orange cones. So it doesnt look likely to be PF upgradable.

9 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It looks like there is a 3x11 DBG panel in the middle of the rear trunk of the First Responder. It serves as a base for 2 orange cones. So it doesnt look likely to be PF upgradable.

What the actual hell are those pins for, then?

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Oh come on, are you saying you haven't slapped things together at work just to get it done? Although, this may be a bit of projection on my part, as I have depression and motivation issues, and I'm thinking that Wabra is like me, which may not be the case at all. Also, 42070 and 42077 may be the result of bean counter overrule, and nothing else.

To be completely honest, I'm at the opposite end of the scale: a perfectionist who finds it hard to complete a project if left on my own (don't remind me of all my unfinished MOCs ...). Luckily other team members and departments help me making decisions. My point is that maybe Wabra himself isn't proud of the end result and the sets you mention were simply the results of the constraints the designers had during the development of them. As a designer myself, I would hate to read comments like that about my work. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that it was Wabra who wanted a Technic truck with a trailer for years, so he had probably had a hand in the Mack set.

And anyway, this is all projection and interpretations without inside information from TLG.

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Spelling

2 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

At least from AFOL community, who always like to think they can do better:wink: 

...and are never satisfied...:laugh:

There is one rule - difference between man and boy is in the price of toy

...so the more sofisticated - more expensive... :wink:

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

What the actual hell are those pins for, then?

To (somehow) keep orange cones in place? There is probably simple explanation.

3 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

To (somehow) keep orange cones in place? There is probably simple explanation.

Well, it sounds very reasonable! The simplest way to hold them using a minimum amount of additional parts.

But don't the cones have axle holes on the bottom instead of pin holes? Wouldn't it make more sense to have axle pins in the vehicle instead, then? The B-model hypothesis makes sense to me, though.

Just now, AVCampos said:

But don't the cones have axle holes on the bottom instead of pin holes? Wouldn't it make more sense to have axle pins in the vehicle instead, then? The B-model hypothesis makes sense to me, though.

Not the most elegant solution. If that's the case they should be down in the undercarriage somewhere.

On 11/27/2017 at 5:34 AM, AOW said:

I have taken a look at the Technicopedia in order to recall myself all the cars from the past and it is hard for me to classify it. Blakbird has done segregation by:
Super Car / Race Car / Go Cars  / Dune Buggies / 4x4 
Now the 42077 in my opinion should go under the Race Cars category and there would need to face sets as: 8209, 8213, 8216, 8247, 8386, 8440, 8445, 8461, 8674, 8808, 8880(B), 42000, 42039, 42050

Good point, this will actually be tricky to classify.  It actually fits best with my Racers category, but it is not technically part of that theme.  It compares quite reasonably with 8649.

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

Imagine situation - Lego builds perfect car. Evereyone who tries to improve something, is just somehow worser.

Ah you mean like the Arocs then! :grin:

13 hours ago, technic_addict said:

8475 had red shocks which were not hard.

First red soft shock seems to appered in 1998 in 8209

8209suspension.gif

25 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Aren't those medium? I have 8 red shocks (not from the Porsche) and I'm sure they're harder than soft ones.

Looking at the windings of the actual spring they are the medium. Or at least not the softest type.

Edit: Hmm bricklink calls them 'undetermined spring type'...

Edited by Rudivdk

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

8209suspension.gif

Oh my god. That was my first technic set :wub: (I remember not being able to build it correctly the first few tries)

On the topic of spring rates: do we have any confirmation that each color has its associated spring rate?

10 hours ago, Blakbird said:

It compares quite reasonably with 8649.

I think that's a very harsh statement! Did 8649 have engine, suspension and funny opening hood/trunk/side flaps ? :laugh:

24 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Looking at the windings of the actual spring they are the medium. Or at least not the softest type.

Was there really three types? I can find only hard and soft for this type. Also for bigger ones there is also hard and soft. Can't finde medium.

50 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Was there really three types? I can find only hard and soft for this type. Also for bigger ones there is also hard and soft. Can't finde medium.

Bricklink calls them soft, normal and hard. Soft springs have 5 windings, normal springs have 4 windings. Hard springs have additional tight windings in the middle:

800x600.jpg

Edited by Rudivdk
Added pic for reference