1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

..., I think Wabra might be suffering some burnout, so he does some easy things to meet the deadline. I don't know for sure, but maybe, just maybe, some of the magic is gone, and now he's doing stuff like 42070 and 42077, versus 8258 or 42030

I don't know how well you are connected to TLG, but I find this is a very bold claim. Everybody has ups and downs in their career and almost every creator is bound by much more that just their own creativity. Boring stuff like budget, planning, deadlines, target customers, etc greatly limited the possibilities of any creation destined for a commercial market. Stating that someone you don't know is suffering from a very serious condition judging only by a fraction of their (apparent) work is not very tactful in my book.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I agree with your assessment.

One thing I'd like to add thought. When I was young, I was totally unaware that a set had new parts. They were just....parts. Point being; I am not sure how aware kids are of new parts and how much it matters.

Good point. As a kid I remember looking at a set and reading it's functions and thinking that I couldn't recreate it with the same functions in the same space with current parts, so there must be new ones. I think kids that are into technic, aka existing customers, are aware of these things. I understand that they have to constantly look for new customers to whom all parts and functions are new, but smart companies look after existing customers too to keep them coming back year after year.

Just now, Cumulonimbus said:

I don't know how well you are connected to TLG, but I find this is a very bold claim. Everybody has ups and downs in their career and almost every creator is bound by much more that just their own creativity. Boring stuff like budget, planning, deadlines, target customers, etc greatly limited the possibilities of any creation destined for a commercial market. Stating that someone you don't know is suffering from a very serious condition judging only by a fraction of their (apparent) work is not very tactful in my book.

You are right. Designers are artists in many ways, and art doesn't always flourish within the cage of business. Every single one of my favourite bands have produced real stinkers of music from time to time. It happens. Only need to worry when the stickers start to greatly outnumber the gems. 

4 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I'm actually building set 42070 - got the set at a much reduced price, and underneath when you start to build the set, you can see some real genius and the Technic aspects of the set are greater then it looks on the box, in fact it has some really good gearing and building techniques - the set came under heavy flak, even from myself, but like so many Lego Technic sets it not until you build the set you start to see the passion gone into creating a model for mass market, and I think the Lego Technic Designers do a great job on pretty much all the sets they work on considering budgets, parts, time, deadlines and having to mass market and make it appeal to young and old Technic builders. 

Set 42070 isn't anywhere near as bad I was a reading, and despite the high entry price, at its current sale price is worth picking up, it can't be easy for these designers to mix both function and price together.

There is a MOC Aston Vantage GT3 on rebrickable, and its approx £500 to build, but it has just about every function we wish for in our Technic models, and its a super car, but £500? Ok that is bricklink prices and it also needs an sbrick or buwizz - but most off the shelf sets cost average £100 - £140? For the bigger sets that is. 

3 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

So any transmission is more unrealistic than none? I mean 43mm wheels, not tires:

My philosophy is if you can not make proper representation of some (sub)system, don't do it - example I do not know how to make hydrostatic CVT from LEGO, so I make models without transmission. Perhaps LEGO wanted to show us principle of pdk with Porsche, but as @Meatman said order is completely wrong and we have end-result of 4 forward and 4 reverse speeds except 7 forward and 1 reverse speed...

If 43.2 wheel would be used than I suppose this tire https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41897#T=C&C=11

is what you have in mind. It could be good, but proportions in comparison to panels would be different, if not to complicated...I don't know about that honestly. 

Just now, I_Igor said:

My philosophy is if you can not make proper representation of some (sub)system, don't do it - example I do not know how to make hydrostatic CVT from LEGO, so I make models without transmission. Perhaps LEGO wanted to show us principle of pdk with Porsche, but as @Meatman said order is completely wrong and we have end-result of 4 forward and 4 reverse speeds except 7 forward and 1 reverse speed...

If 43.2 wheel would be used than I suppose this tire https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41897#T=C&C=11

is what you have in mind. It could be good, but proportions in comparison to panels would be different, if not to complicated...I don't know about that honestly. 

Lego is all about compromise, with you attitude you would end up with clean table, because most of the builds are out of the reality. My point about the wheels and overal size of the rally car is that you can find a lot of models that are smaller, with more functions and less plastic, although the piece count might be similar or even higher.

18 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

Lego is all about compromise, with you attitude you would end up with clean table, because most of the builds are out of the reality. My point about the wheels and overal size of the rally car is that you can find a lot of models that are smaller, with more functions and less plastic, although the piece count might be similar or even higher.

It is off topic, but that is my philosophy, so at least I've ended up with few mocs that are optimal IMHO :wink:

But I suggest now we can go back to 2018 sets discussion, if you want to have discussion about my building philosophy, you should send me a PM

10 hours ago, Jurss said:

And then You would complain, that in original car there is at least 5+R :grin:

If this is a generic model, then there is no original car to base it off of. Anything is better than nothing as long as it works properly. :wink:

I could live with the the Porsche gearbox with all of it's flaws out of the box if Lego would have at least had it shift in the proper order and not make excuses as to why it does not.

Edited by Meatman

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

That is soft right?

Based on wehicle weight it should be soft :wink:

That is soft right?

In past there have been medium, on porsche they are hard

Just now, I_Igor said:

Based on wehicle weight it should be soft :wink:

I meant, the red kind is soft, or the Porsche shock is not exclusive anymore.

Just now, Rudivdk said:

In past there have been medium, on porsche they are hard

That was what I meant.

4 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

I meant, the red kind is soft, or the Porsche shock is not exclusive anymore.

It is cheaper to change just a spring than whole shock absorber...hm but rally car has yellow ones...

6 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Oh come on, are you saying you haven't slapped things together at work just to get it done? Although, this may be a bit of projection on my part, as I have depression and motivation issues, and I'm thinking that Wabra is like me, which may not be the case at all. Also, 42070 and 42077 may be the result of bean counter overrule, and nothing else.

Just now, I_Igor said:

It is cheaper to change just a spring than whole shock absorber...hm but rally car has yellow ones...

Yes, that is why i wondered...

Yes, that is why i wondered...

You're not the only one...few minutes I found image where sides are opening on first responder...

29 minutes ago, aminnich said:

The weird gearbox just gives you guys something to modify, the LEGO designers are keeping you in mind 

:thumbup:

Just now, I_Igor said:

You're not the only one...few minutes I found image where sides are opening on first responder...

post please...

Imagine situation - Lego builds perfect car. Evereyone who tries to improve something, is just somehow worser.

Just now, Jurss said:

Imagine situation - Lego builds perfect car. Evereyone who tries to improve something, is just somehow worser.

Yes, there would be nothing to do.

post please...

38451890576_8f57577e5a.jpg

It is a bit small image...

Just now, Jurss said:

Yes it could end in loosing lots of customers

23 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Yes it could end in loosing lots of customers

At least from AFOL community, who always like to think they can do better:wink: