Gearbox....no gearbox....I absolutely LOVE this car. Yes, it's simple...but I could not care less.

I don't think that it has s gearbox, but I know that this one is much better than 8070, 42000, 42039... :wink:

Crap... @Jim was faster :angry:

Edited by I_Igor

37 minutes ago, tohan said:

I see that S@H USA has got 42071, 42072, 42073, 42074 and 42084 in stock and ready to order - guess it makes a change for you guys to be first :classic:

I see these are now "coming soon" on U.K. S@H no sign of the good stuff though :sadnew:

56 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Don't know if anyone emntioned, but the rally car seems to have a gearbox, you can easily see the switch lever between seats here:

42077-1.jpg?201711210852

So it's almost like a tiny supercar, it has suspension, drive, gearbox and a fake engine - all criterias are fullfilled.

Indeed, there is the lever to be seen behind the left bottom corner of the  windshield.

I just noted the decal: "Billund High Point"... makes me think it refers to Pikes Peak race. In this point of view, the chassis structure with the mid-enginge makes perfect sense. Also I feel some self-irony from designers with this text on decal. :grin:

Can Jim or any other Staff member put the new set images on the frontpage?

1 hour ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Don't know if anyone emntioned, but the rally car seems to have a gearbox, you can easily see the switch lever between seats here:

So it's almost like a tiny supercar, it has suspension, drive, gearbox and a fake engine - all criterias are fullfilled.

There doesn't seem to be anything under the hood, just a few gears between the engine and differential:  a6335_42077_web_sec02_nobg.png 

1 hour ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

42077-1.jpg?201711210852

This set is the opposite of a Lego supercar.
No gearbox, no technical innovation, the absolute minimum of functions, tons of stickers. A hefty design with panels ... and emptiness, everywhere else.

This is just another average and boring car, not a supercar

Edited by Timoonn

7 minutes ago, agrof said:

Indeed, there is the lever to be seen behind the left bottom corner of the  windshield.

I just noted the decal: "Billund High Point"... makes me think it refers to Pikes Peak race. In this point of view, the chassis structure with the mid-enginge makes perfect sense. Also I feel some self-irony from designers with this text on decal. :grin:

That type of rally car was indeed driven in Pikes Peak race :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Don't know if anyone emntioned, but the rally car seems to have a gearbox, you can easily see the switch lever between seats here

1 hour ago, agrof said:

You mean this (yellow circle)?

42077-1_windshield_no_gearbox.jpg

Um, no.

It is the left bottom corner of the windshield. The same red beam an be seen at the other corner of the windshield.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

The Hook Loader is actually more interesting, since it has a fairly rarely-seen function.

Yep. I've been reverse engineering it in LDD. Although the actual look-loading function is pretty dull,  and the container is a little holey, I still can't quite work out the steering. I've also been preemptively modding it, to feature a worm drive for the hook instead of just 3 8-tooth gears.

Overall, it certainly looks more realistic than it's predecessor 8065, and (surprisingly) it's the one set I'm most likely to buy this year. 

2 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Yep. I've been reverse engineering it in LDD. Although the actual look-loading function is pretty dull,  and the container is a little holey, I still can't quite work out the steering. 

I tried them same and had also to do some thinking about the steering. I think it will be done by a 5L liftarm, no gear rack.

While I don't have access to my Lego collection at the moment, I don't have any wheels around me. So my attempt looks a bit ugly and has wrong colors and using different parts. My container looks okay to me, except a missing rim.

42084_1.jpeg

Please excuse the bad quality.

damn, that 42077 gearbox mis-spot had me going for a second there, im really wondering if it even has any functions besides drivetrain, suspension and opening doors at all... It would be a mild disappointment if it is just that, basically 42037 with a prettier body slapped on top

The link to pike's peak is a good one i think, although recent pike's peak record cars have all been AWD from what i can find (and pushrod suspension in the case of the 208 T16)

Just now, vectormatic said:

damn, that 42077 gearbox mis-spot had me going for a second there, im really wondering if it even has any functions besides drivetrain, suspension and opening doors at all... It would be a mild disappointment if it is just that, basically 42037 with a prettier body slapped on top

You are seriously comparing the 42077 with the 42037?! 

I get that some of you want it to be a supercar or something, but this is what it is. A cool looking rally car with basic functionality. That is, driving, steering, suspension, opening hood, trunk and that's about it. I fail to see why this is a problem.

This thing will probably sell like hot cakes! No need for more than these functions.

Just now, Jim said:

I get that some of you want it to be a supercar or something, but this is what it is. A cool looking rally car with basic functionality. That is, driving, steering, suspension, opening hood, trunk and that's about it. I fail to see why this is a problem.

This thing will probably sell like hot cakes! No need for more than these functions.

@Jim knows it :wink:

Just now, Jim said:

This thing will probably sell like hot cakes

I know i want some of this cake :laugh: (and i don't even like those light blues)

3 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

damn, that 42077 gearbox mis-spot had me going for a second there, im really wondering if it even has any functions besides drivetrain, suspension and opening doors at all...

Order the deluxe version and get steering. :laugh:

They'll be on backorder before Christmas!!!

Slightly off topic but do we have any idea how many of each set TLG make historically? Or if there is a set run on new sets etc etc?

I agree with Jim that the rally car doesn't need any more function. At first I didnt plan to get it but now it looks so cool that alone is enough to make me want it. I dont know bout others, for me I buy sets for their looks. Sth look cool it'll get a place on my shelf, regardless of how many functions it has or if it works perfectly. 

Just now, Jim said:

Functionality wise, it IS 42037, plus 2 cylinders and opening doors/hood, it looks a LOT better, and there is a good reason i did not buy 42037, and i will absolutely be buying 42077, but looking at functions, and the amount of actual technic things going on, this set is looking like a lightweight (as have other sets in the past, 42041 for instance is just fake engine and steering)

I still like it very much though, and i will 100% sure buy it, but this set has style over substance written all over it, and even if i dont like the secondary functions stuff in 40239, getting some gearbox parts "for free" in the box.

Ill be getting it, but ill be modding it a LOT as well

38 minutes ago, Jim said:

I don't like cakes but like this set. So if anyone wants to change cake tor this set I'm in :laugh:

I’ve put up Dozer Compactor and Racing Yacht on Rebrickable. They are waiting for approval and I will update when they are approved.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

42041 for instance is just fake engine and steering...

...And doors, trunk, and seat.

28 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

...And doors, trunk, and seat.

are we seriously counting a seat as a feature in a technic set now?

And doors.. a bunch of liftarms and a panel rotating on a pin.. unless there is some underlying more complex mechanism like in the enzo or 42039, i dont feel like they count as a function, not on a medium or larger sized technic set