4 minutes ago, LvdH said:

is that a black 5x7 frame I see?

Nice spot, I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be something like a 5x9 though :B

16 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Look at the 42077 B model's front, is that a black 5x7 frame I see?

Don't count on it. The black bush was a mistake too.

I have the idea that people "see" new parts all too soon, without being really critical.

Now I have to say, I don't know which image this isa bout, but I have seen an image of the side of the 42077B buggy, and behind the frnot wheels, right below a blue panel, you can see a black beam with two holes visible at distance 2 from each other. My contention is that the hole in between is simly filled by a pin and therefore not visible, so it looks like the side profile of a 5x7 frame.

It's probably not a new piece.

It really looks exactly like black 5 x 7 frame, or someone was playing with Photoshop (and us)...

1 hour ago, Meatman said:

The Mack truck looks absolutely amazing. Granted it uses system bricks to achieve it's looks, but still, it looks great. And the Garbage Truck B-Model looks like it could be it own main A-Model. That rally car..... Well it's different I guess. I suppose when the rear hatch is lifted that sides in front of the rear wheels also open as a double action feature. I guess they wanted to add some excitement to the normally basic opening mechanism, even though it is kind of odd.Those curved 3 x 11 panels just don't do it for me though. I don't like wheel arches to be so square like that, it looks very odd from the side. That was one thing that drove me crazy about the 42039. I guess it is based off of the Lancia Rally 037 due to it's mid engine placement.

lancia037r.jpg

There is a likeness, but i doubt it, if they wanted lancia inspiration they should've gone either transverse V6 (stratos) or longitudinal I4 (037), not longitudinal V6. That engine type/placement is just lego doing their normal "fast cars have V engines" thing combined with easy placement (ive never seen a transverse engine in technic), and its probably a V6 rather then a V8 because the model is significantly shorter then 42039, so they lopped off two cylinders to fit the engine in there. The bodywork is also far too modern for a 70s lancia.

The rally car does look quite light on features, aside from opening doors/hood/rear cover it is just a simple rear direct driveline and HOG steering and the usual double wishbone suspension, but the price (€90) reflects that compared to 42000 and 42039, so im happy with that.

I think this set, like every big(ish) technic set should be viewed as a starting point for modification for AFOLs, very little sets these days display new techniques out of the box, and most new parts are decorative or colour changes. Take a set like this though, and try to make it more accurate as a rally car, and you've got something to cut your teeth on as an AFOL, looking at this rally car im thinking AWD, perhaps a front placed boxer engine to go all subaru on it. The only thing that is really annoying in terms of mods for this car is that damn porsche wheel arch, available on only three colours so far, and with lego's insistence on using five shades of blue across its range, that will make any sort of colour swap/change very difficult without rebuilding the rear body work to remove that damn wheel arch part.

41 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Look at the 42077 B model's front, is that a black 5x7 frame I see?

Nice spotting! You can see the frame just behind the front wheels on the A model as well - it's mounted horizontalyl lengthwise with a blue pin to the red panel and a black pin 5 studs further back from that through the 15L black beam:

24643964908_52e9fc77fd_o.jpg

The corner pinhole has a 3L blue pin in it through a 1L beam (in black as well?) into the beam above it.

Just now, aminnich said:

Do we have a replica of the MACK truck yet :grin:

Docludi is probably brainstorming right now

5 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Nice spotting! You can see the frame just behind the front wheels on the A model as well - it's mounted horizontalyl lengthwise with a blue pin to the red panel and a black pin 5 studs further back from that through the 15L...

...and there is probably one more black frame housing differential :wink:

49 minutes ago, LvdH said:

If it's not a frame, they did a darn good job at making it look like one. There's the two pin holes in the corners, and of course the pin holes on the sides where they are in the LBG 5x7 frames too.

Ok, this is another picture than I had seen. You guys are probably right. So I take back what I said. Sorry guys!

Edit: @JunkstyleGio Actually, without stickers it looks much better for me. Cleaner. Less of a mess. Thanks for the nice photo edit.

Edited by Erik Leppen

4 minutes ago, JunkstyleGio said:

42077_comparisson_small.jpg

Even without stickers the 42077 works for me..

Thats pretty cool, and assuming it is medium blue, the large panels to make the doors and front bay cover blue do exist, the flex axles probably dont, so you cant remove all the white, but still..

Alternatively, the wheel arch curved panels exist is green which should make the thing Octan styled in one go, which i might go for to match my Octan-modded 42039

24 minutes ago, LvdH said:

It seems too dark to be medium blue in my opinion. 

Dark azure I think? If so, it'll fill out the parts collection even more (panels, liftarms, and the 3L 2pin and axle hole crossblock). The yacht had some new dark azure panels and liftarms as well, so they already have some of the parts in use.

Unsure which blue the compactor/dozer is using this year as well - that might be dark azure as well??

My wallet winced when i saw those pictures, i love the Mack Truck. I like the shaping of the rallye car but am kinda disappointed that the first alternate color for the Porsche will be some kind of baby-blue :sceptic:

@Jim, could you edit your first post in this thread to include the current pictures? With those rapid discussions i'm always losing track of them :blush:

Gotta start saving my pennies for that Mack truck. (checking VIP account... woo, I've got $60 there, so that's a good start!)

Have to say though, it's sorta weird to me. Looks like a very American tractor, but very Euro trailer. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that here in the USA. 

A small off-topic: I see that a separate topic for the Mack truck 42078 appeared: 

Should we go to the separate ones for the other models, or stay here until released sets review?

Something's been bugging me about the Mack truck and I finally figured it out:

1. The nose is longer than on the real thing - they should have shortened it by one or two studs.

2. The nose doesn't curve down at the nose tip like on the real thing (at the top of the grill, not the bottom). It does curve, but from the wrong end, which ends up making the nose look a bit square.

3. The rear axles are about two studs too close to the rear of the truck.

If these three problems were fixed, I'd definitely buy this.

42078_WEB_SEC01_NOBG.jpg?resize=625,201&

XtN9vXqymCo.jpg

42 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

1. The nose is longer than on the real thing - they should have shortened it by one or two studs.

2. The nose doesn't curve down at the nose tip like on the real thing (at the top of the grill, not the bottom). It does curve, but from the wrong end, which ends up making the nose look a bit square.

Is it recognisablecas a Mack Anthem ... yes.

Is it a technic model ... yes.

Is it a scale model ... no.

Based on your logic and attention to detail, I assume you are still waiting to buy your first Technic set? ?

Rally car looks interesting apart from the boxy wheel arches and baby blue, the B-model is nice, but as others have said, same recycled internals with no new interesting mechanisms.

Just now, Boulderer said:

Is it recognisablecas a Mack Anthem ... yes.

Is it a technic model ... yes.

Is it a scale model ... no.

Based on your logic and attention to detail, I assume you are still waiting to buy your first Technic set? ?

Not at all, I bought the Arocs, which to be honest did have some inconsistencies, however they weren’t to the extent that they made it look goofy like the Mack. On top of that, the Arocs had additional benefits that outweighed any potential goofiness, such as pneumatics ,solid axle suspension and a motorised compressor.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to wish for proper proportions in a licensed set.

Well I'm surprised by the Mack color, didn't expect that, but overally I like it, especially L6 engine. A little shame about the wheels, I hoped for new thinner mold but this is fine as well. I wonder if the sleeping part of the cab is just empty or if there is something there as well.

Looking at all sets - panels, panels panels, soooo many of them everywhere!

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Even though I think you are slightly overreacting with the reasons not to buy this set, I do agree with #3. It's very obvious the rear of the Mack is way too short.

Other than that, I think this is a set LEGO and Mack can be proud of. I like the mix of System bricks and Technic.

MAck.png

11 hours ago, chezzymann said:

how many pieces is the rally car? Ill get it if its $100 or less

Don't know the part count, but I have posted this picture a while ago.

IMG_1708.PNG

The color blue is difficult to distinguish because the picture (the red) looks a bit darker than the actual model will be. And the picture of the boat doesn't feel entirely natural either. I do think Eric is right and it's not dark azure. Of course, I hope I'm wrong hehe.
Edit: I am not conviced about the shade of blue. I think the editing of the picture might cloud our judgement. I looks more vibrant than the jet plane.

I do really love the rally car. Great looking car, color scheme is fantastic and that roll cage looks awesome. 

42077-1.jpg