7 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Also, I know I'm being negative, but a lot of you are like "How dare you criticize Lego, it's for the kids blah blah blah".

I dunno about other people, but  for me "TLG have f*cked up again" posts kind of lack any fun, at least on so flimsy evidence. :classic: 

Seems more fun to wait for, e.g. the detailed takedowns of why 42070 is mostly crap and TLG have actually f*cked up, rather than going from 0-100mph from some blurry prelims.  But eh, the internet and stuff.  

At least we're not in the Train forum "why can't TLG make my model train set" groundhog day?  :wink:

Also my kids want 42070 badly, SO EVERYONE ALL MUST BE WRONG, right? ?

Edited by andythenorth

Disclaimer: the following is not aimed at any Eurobricker in particular and I'm sorry if this leads us further off-topic, but I feel this must be said:

Everybody certainly has the right to their opinion, be it positive or negative. If a set is lacklustre, everybody should be able to speak out about it. The thing that bothers me is the speed at which upcoming sets are condemned. It seems that with every wave of new (Technic) sets, we go through the same tiring cycle, where sets are judged to be worthless based on preliminary images we aren't even supposed to see. 6 months later, the well known reviewers produce stunning images and well-funded reviews and suddenly those same people can't wait to buy those same sets the hated in the first place.

From my point of view, TLG is making an effort to keep sets interesting for their broad target audience. You can tell they want more diversity than red cars and yellow construction equipment and try new elements like other types of vehicles, other colours and combinations. Additionally, more than once I was pleasantly surprised during the build process by the TLG solutions for the structure and mechanisms inside a set that maybe wasn't that exciting on the exterior. I wouldn't be surprised that even the 2018 sailing boat has a cool function hidden within, maybe it can hoist its sails, maybe the sails rotate (don't remember the proper nautical term) while making a turn, etc.

The best way to let TLG know what, according to you, is not a very successful creation, is to simply not buy it.  You can be sure that TLG has statistics about sales records in relation to set size, colours used, presence of PF and RC, etc. But don't be surprised that other people will not like or can't afford more complex sets. For example, as I said before, pull-back racers are not my thing but they continue to be made in each new wave, hence they must be selling well and this means they are successful sets, at least at one level.

Also remember that this forum is regarded as an authority by other fora and third parties. Burning down a set this early on can really influence less knowledgable potential buyers and kill the sets changes before it's even commercially available. If this happens too often with sets TLG was hoping to generate a lot of revenue, it can even be harmful for the Technic line or even TLG in the long run.

Personally, all I would like to see is a bit more nuance in the opinions here. Yes, not every set will be in line with your wishes and/or budget as an AFOL, but try to keep a bit of perspective. The world is not ending because there is no ultimate RC flagship this year. And since this is a AFOL community: If you feel you can do better, please do so,  I really like so see different interpretations of the same idea.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

2 hours ago, J_C said:

Why? because these pics were prelim, you did not see the sets in final form, you did not see it in "action" to judge the functions. I think it is just premature to judge it or dismiss it.

I disagree. With exception to 42054, prelims are a VERY good indicator of the final set's final form.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these leaks (given that they're from a catalogue) are made for retailers. They wouldn't trick retailers into buying a set that looks completely different than advertised.

Edited by Bartybum

I will end this conversation shortly, so say what you have to say. After that we will get back to discussing the sets. Or I will lock the topic until the  Toy Fair, but where's the fun in that.

One thing that does bother me a bit is that we are discussing prelim images and we have all seen that a prelim design can (and will) be changed before launch. So, I'd rather see these images as teasers instead of a base upon we are discussing the designer's ability to make a decent set. Let's keep that discussion for January :wink: 

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

I dunno about other people, but  for me "TLG have f*cked up again" posts kind of lack any fun, at least on so flimsy evidence. :classic: 

This :thumbup:

Just now, Jim said:

One thing that does bother me a bit is that we are discussing prelim images and we have all seen that a prelim design can (and will) be changed before launch.

Have they actually? Without 42054 and actually 42039 (I only realised this one like 10 minutes ago), what other sets have changed significantly?

Like, this is a genuine question, not at all meant to oppose you.

6 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Like, this is a genuine question, not at all meant to oppose you.

Prime example is the 42069, where everybody was like "meeehhhhhh" and now it's everyone's favorite. The new rally car looks unfinished, but it will likely be changed here and there. I agree that not every set will change drastically, but we need to be careful by judging prelim images. It's definitely okay to be critical, but I like to maintain a friendly tone of voice instead of bashing TLG or TLG designers.

I'd like to think that we can do better than Facebook users :wink: 

1 hour ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Everybody certainly has the right to their opinion, be it positive or negative. If a set is lacklustre, everybody should be able to speak out about it. The thing that bothers me is the speed at which upcoming sets are condemned. It seems that with every wave of new (Technic) sets, we go through the same tiring cycle, where sets are judged to be worthless based on preliminary images we aren't even supposed to see. 6 months later, the well known reviewers produce stunning images and well-funded reviews and suddenly those same people can't wait to buy those same sets the hated in the first place.

This...

1 hour ago, Cumulonimbus said:

From my point of view, TLG is making an effort to keep sets interesting for their broad target audience.

...and this! :thumbup:

LvdH - do you have the pictures of the preliminary 8070 I would like to see them as I have never seen them before, than the actual final form. 

I think that Jim is absolutely correct, let's wait with judging til the Toy Fair and now we can discuss on the functions that possible those new sets would have. 

For others in my opinion is simple, if you do not like the shape/design/function of particular one or other set, then simply do not buy it... No need to add negative opinions, as we do not know which are the real designers limitations. 

We know that in the past there were sets in Technic line, that were spectacular, but also have almost ruined Lego financially. 

Possible they are under a lot of rules and not all can be implemented in to the final approved set. 

I work in the giant outsourcing company, and I am aware that in such companies there are "untold" rules that you need to follow. If you do not like them, change your job, and I think this is exactly the same case in Lego.... 

9 minutes ago, AOW said:

and now we can discuss on the functions that possible those new sets would have. 

Yes, let's do this!! :sweet:

They can come out with a Technic turd sandwich as far as I'm concerned - as long as it's got interesting building techniques and is a good parts pack as well as good value for money, I'm fine.

do you think sailboat is catamaran or single hull? 

possible functions - pardon my incorrect sailing terminology:

Rudders, sails direction, sails folding (reel), folding keel?

5 minutes ago, suffocation said:

They can come out with a Technic turd sandwich as far as I'm concerned...

That's the 2h 2018 flagship

@J_C According to Sir_von_Lego it's a catamaran

I think I'll get the Mack truck, the catamaran, and possibly the ferry hovercraft. It's funny how Markus or some Technic designer once said something along the line of "we have always wanted to publish a set with a trailer and truck but they wouldd be too big to fit the front cover so we had to make it the B model of 42043", and now we have Mack truck + trailer as the A model :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by nguyengiangoc

The design looks quite unfinished, but I don't think 42070 is that bad, at least it's a decent parts pack.

Though, if all you can say about the flagship of the year is that it's a nice parts pack, it's kinda sad, but at least it has that :laugh:

I wonder who will be the designer this year for H1 and H2 - I hope that Uwe does not come again with something like the 42070 :) 

We did not had Markus last year did we ? And next questions, how many key designers do we have in Technic line? 

Edited by AOW

I feel like the design style of many technic sets changed when this year's lineup was released. Many sets are less complex then usually and especially the smaller sets don't look that good in my opinion. Even though these pictures are just preliminary, and things will most certainly be changed, it seems to me like this new design language is used in next year's lineup as well. I think the 42035 Mining truck is a good example of a small simple model, aimed at younger children, that still looks pretty good to me. This year's, and next year's smaller models are different. I don't think this has to be wrong, but the new sets just don't appeal to me. 

I don't usually buy the smaller sets, so this doesn't bother me that much. I really think the MACK truck will be great, the licensed sets are usually very good ones. The rally car might be a nice set as well, I'm pretty sure the design will change a little. I think it will be similar to the 42039 both in terms of size and functions. I have also good hopes that the super ultimate car project will be awesome. 

Just now, Error404 said:

The design looks quite unfinished, but I don't think 42070 is that bad, at least it's a decent parts pack.

Though, if all you can say about the flagship of the year is that it's a nice parts pack, it's kinda sad, but at least it has that :laugh:

Most of sets I look first of all as parts pack, so I'm (generally) not upset about design when there are parts that I need :wink:

Just now, AOW said:

I wonder who will be the designer this year for H1 and H2 - I hope that Uwe does not come again with something like the 42070 :) 

We did not had Markus last year did we ? And next questions, how many key designers do we have in Technic line? 

Markus designed the 42066 Air Race Jet.

On the subject of functions, I wonder how the Dozer Compactor's blade works. Worm gear or lever? I just looked at the prelim again and it looks like the exhaust can be turned.

Edited by Maaboo35

2 minutes ago, AOW said:

I hope that Uwe does not come again with something like the 42070

The Mack truck is very likely to be a creation of Uwe

Just now, nguyengiangoc said:

I have not seen any preliminary pictures so far, so I cannot say much about them - only my deductions from what I read so far :) 

Just now, nguyengiangoc said:

Oh nooooooooooooo! Hah, just kidding. Uwe's come up with some bangin' trucks in the past. The increasingly distant past, but still... 9397, 8285 and 8258 will live on as classics.

17 hours ago, Void_S said:

If get it correctly, the "Ferry" deck is just made of them, in LBG. Wonder how much it has...

From those blurry images could be up to six (sorry for late response)

19 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Most of sets I look first of all as parts pack, so I'm (generally) not upset about design when there are parts that I need :wink:

Me too :)

Edited by IA creations

13 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

On the subject of functions, I wonder how the Dozer Compactor's blade works. Worm gear or lever? I just looked at the prelim again and it looks like the exhaust can be turned.

But exaust (light bluish gray axle joiner smooth) could be used for control of articulated steering :wink:

What I see us that we have light bluish gray seat (and two blue at the back which we allready had sevral times

1 minute ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I'm personally most excited for the ferry. I feel like the rally car could very well turn up like 42037...:sick:

On the ferry I'm excited/anxious to see what are red parts at the left and right side of the deck