TeufelHund

Lego 60th Anniversary sets 2018

Hey i got something positive to say about this! I need to get this one. 

I love how lego made these iconic sets into these micro builds. 

Not sure if this has already been reported elsewhere but here is a video showing the micro scale version of Black Seas Barracuda from the 60th Anniversary set. I assume the guy has just put this together using the instructions and parts already in his collection.

On 23.12.2017 at 9:55 PM, xzanfr said:

40th anniversary of classic space and we get some micorcrud - Lego need to remember where they're from rather than chase the Disney dollar.

Well spoken! They seem to forget their roots (again, like they did in 2004).

19 hours ago, Chilis said:

Well spoken! They seem to forget their roots (again, like they did in 2004).

I guess it depends on how much money the old brings in compared to the new. LEGO is doing very well now, based on a fairly balanced portfolio of licensed vs non-licensed. City and Friends are huge sellers for non-licensed. Would reintroducing old themes at the expense of licensed properties really bring in significantly more money? I doubt it. Classic Space (and Castle and Pirates) may be remembered fondly by AFOLs but does it sell now (like Super Heroes, Harry Potter (soon to be), Star Wars, etc) is the question.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

I guess it depends on how much money the old brings in compared to the new. LEGO is doing very well now, based on a fairly balanced portfolio of licensed vs non-licensed. City and Friends are huge sellers for non-licensed. Would reintroducing old themes at the expense of licensed properties really bring in significantly more money? I doubt it. Classic Space (and Castle and Pirates) may be remembered fondly by AFOLs but does it sell now (like Super Heroes, Harry Potter (soon to be), Star Wars, etc) is the question.

Yeah, I agree with you. But I meant they should celebrate the anniversaries more properly. Like re-release some really classic sets when they celebrate ex. Technics 40s last year, Classic Space 40s this year etc. They can be ordered directly/only available from S@H if they`re afraid they will not sell very well.  :wink:

It is good they are putting "limited edition" on those, to make people think that they are collectables and worth having. If they were in regular packaging, I cannot see the house and windmill being very popular, even if it was $5. At $20 each, not at all.  $20 each for those is an absolute joke.

Edited by MAB

I like the windmill and house, but $20 for 64 or 46 bricks is just a joke - equivalent sets at that price range have around 200 pieces (admittedly, many are likely to be small parts for detailing and these two have just bricks).  

However, I'm willing to reserve judgement until I at least see an unboxing video.  Didn't 1960s era sets have the bricks hand-packed and neatly arranged in a cardboard tray, e.g. as shown here? If Lego have done the same with these, then I would say the inflated price is more than justified... 

At this price I'm assuming the sets must be presented nicely in a good quality box perhaps with a special comemorative booklet included or something like that. Would love it if they included a lift up flap on the front of the box like the classic sets from the 80's and 90's used to have.

So far the only anniversary sets that have been revealed are fairly small and to be honest, un-inspiring sets. I'm still hoping that one of this years Lego shop exclusives will turn out to be a big anniversary set aimed at AFOL's. Hopefully a new version of the Town Plan or a re-make of a classic set from years gone by. A huge re-imagined version of Black Seas Baracuda would be great, although unlikely I suppose.

The house is a nice recreation of 326 but the windmill is just in the style of the era however both are hugely expensive - presumably the packaging will be main selling point, with hand laid bricks in cardboard and the cellophane wrapping of the era.

More importantly it does mean that there are anniversary sets that have not yet been see so there is hope for some further interesting ones.

Edited by xzanfr

I like the idea of retro package and old style sets. The premium price is pretty dumb though. Why?

Now if they did this for a Classic Space set with the Legoland banner I would pay that premium. I'd want the old-style helmet though. (Yes Lego can remake a reinforced version; they make tons of new head pieces every year).

A third retro anniversary set has now been announced alongside the house and windmill. This one is a truck and like the others will also retail for $19.99.

LEGO Classic 60th Anniversary Walmart Exclusive Truck (4000030)

Honestly can't believe those three smaller sets are $20, I would think $5.99 would be more inline with normal pricing. Hell for that price the box better recite poetry as you open it. The windmill and house definitely remind me of my childhood Lego days for sure though, truck not so much. 

Just ordered my copy of the 60th anniversary set 40290. Have been waiting all month to buy downtown diner so that I would qualify for this free set today. Can't wait for it to arrive. ?

Those 3 60th anniversary sets look alright but the price is insane, polybags typically have more pieces then that, the most i would ever pay for those is $10 and that's even pushing it

I would have preferred it if that old truck had old style wheels. Either the old dually type smooth tyres or better still, the wheels with four studs on. Those were what I remember playing with as a kid. As it is, it just doesn't look like a set from yesteryear. The design does, but the wheels don't.

I still wouldn't have bought at $20 though.

Wow that truck is low effort!

6 hours ago, MAB said:

I would have preferred it if that old truck had old style wheels. Either the old dually type smooth tyres or better still, the wheels with four studs on. Those were what I remember playing with as a kid. As it is, it just doesn't look like a set from yesteryear. The design does, but the wheels don't.

I still wouldn't have bought at $20 though.

Good point about the wheels.

If Lego want to make something worthwhile for their anniversary then they need to spend a bit of time focusing on the details and possibly making a new mold that at least looks a bit vintage. Slapping together some current bricks is a lazy cash in.

Can anyone tell me if they know whether the 10715 Bricks on a roll set is any different than the original that was released in Europe other than the new packaging? Also does anyone know when the throwback sets (windmill, house, and truck) are coming out?

Thanks,

-RailCo

I think you're basically paying for the nostalgic artwork on the box and not so much for the generic parts inside.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, dr_spock said:

I think you're basically paying for the nostalgic artwork on the box and not so much for the generic parts inside.

Exactly.

Has anyone been able to grab these? Ever since they went on sale, the Walmart link appears to be broken. Not sure if they are in stores or not...

Is there any more info on the house, windmill and car Walmart exclusive 60th anniversary sets?

I only looked up the house, it's out of stock online at Walmart.  Apparently the "item comes in individually numbered box to illustrate limited availability", looking at copies of the house on eBay, this seems to be a 4-digit number so I guess only 9,999 sets have been produced?  Has anyone actually opened their copy to see what it's like inside?  Is it really just a polybag set in a fancy box, or is there more to it? And given the limited edition nature, is this seriously a USA-only release?

Edit: Actually I may have answered my own questions.  I found this saved live-stream build review on youtube:

I must say I'm shocked.  I knew this was just a handful of bricks in a fancy box, but I'd hoped there would be something more to justify the 20USD price. But there's nothing.  Nothing about the 60th anniversary, nothing describing the history of Lego, or explaining that this is the style of Lego sets from the 1960s.  This was insanely overpriced to begin with, and the inflated eBay prices (highest I saw so far was 80 USD!) have basically killed all interest I had in getting these sets. Such a disappointment...

Edited by NathanR

On 2/4/2018 at 7:42 AM, NathanR said:

I must say I'm shocked.  I knew this was just a handful of bricks in a fancy box, but I'd hoped there would be something more to justify the 20USD price. But there's nothing.  Nothing about the 60th anniversary, nothing describing the history of Lego, or explaining that this is the style of Lego sets from the 1960s.  This was insanely overpriced to begin with, and the inflated eBay prices (highest I saw so far was 80 USD!) have basically killed all interest I had in getting these sets. Such a disappointment...

They're really meant to be "collectors items" and kept in the box. The House sold out the first day it was released on Walmart.com and as far as I know they are not stocking them in stores. I did happen to notice the insane eBay prices too and from what I've seen people are paying up to $50 so far for the House set. The Windmill was released on-line today and the Truck will be released Friday, February 9th. I would like to have one of each for my collection but I won't pay a cent over retail. Personally, I like them because of the throwback box art. I'm a collector (not a re-seller) and I would love to have them in my collection but I will never pay the insane re-seller prices. A year from now the demand will be nonexistent and the prices should fall dramatically. Also, from what I’ve seen online it seems like they only made 5,000 of each set. 

Edited by 22kane
Added

1 hour ago, 22kane said:

They're really meant to be "collectors items" and kept in the box. The House sold out the first day it was released on Walmart.com and as far as I know they are not stocking them in stores. I did happen to notice the insane eBay prices too and from what I've seen people are paying up to $50 so far for the House set. The Windmill was released on-line today and the Truck will be released Friday, February 9th. I would like to have one of each for my collection but I won't pay a cent over retail. Personally, I like them because of the throwback box art. I'm a collector (not a re-seller) and I would love to have them in my collection but I will never pay the insane re-seller prices. A year from now the demand will be nonexistent and the prices should fall dramatically. Also, from what I’ve seen online it seems like they only made 5,000 of each set. 

I'm glad someone finally pointed out what had appeared to be the actual and ridiculous point of the house, truck and windmill. Over-priced 'collectors items' not meant to be touched, opened or built but rather kept in a box on a shelf. Its got Lego pieces, its got instructions but one paid $0.35-0.45 per piece for it and its got a special box so don't open it. Foresee the majority of them winding up on Bricklink in ten years, unopened, going for 10x their MSRP and with any luck none of them selling. 

Edited by koalayummies

I am curious if anyone has gotten that free 60th anniversary booklet when you buy the 10715 Bricks on a roll set. I bought mine but the receipt is still being processed and it's been 6 days since I uploaded it. I was wondering if anyone else had luck with it.

As for the exclusive limited edition "Throwback sets" I immediately bought the house because it looked similar to the original set, I was more excited after I bought it when I learned that they are individually numbered. The windmill I was reluctant to buy but I got it anyways today. The truck I WILL NOT be getting just because it doesn't even look vintage and even though they most likely couldn't reproduce the old wheels that would go on those small vehicles, at the very least they could have made the car wheels red like the used to be instead of grey wheels which didn't come out for a long while after those original style sets were made.

Just my 2 cents

-RailCo