TeufelHund

Lego 60th Anniversary sets 2018

Thank you very much for the links and the info! :classic:

The "sets" are a huge disappointment for the 60th anniversary! :thumbdown:

Of course there might be some nice new and exclusive parts. But only for them I for sure won't buy a whole brick box.

Ughhh...horrible.

I pray for some decent UCS style sets next year because these are the worst way I can think of to celebrate an anniversary - it's like expecting a three course meal and getting a bag of peanuts.

10 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

Ughhh...horrible.

I pray for some decent UCS style sets next year because these are the worst way I can think of to celebrate an anniversary - it's like expecting a three course meal and getting a bag of peanuts.

There are plenty of larger sets being released as normal, but these don't really celebrate 60 years of lego.

10 hours ago, MAB said:

There are plenty of larger sets being released as normal, but these don't really celebrate 60 years of lego.

Exactly the reason that these sets, released specifically to do so, are a disappointment.

Seems really silly to me that they are putting out pirates, castle and space related stuff since neither of those 3 themes is in production at the moment. We haven't had a space theme since 2013...

My hopes are crashed! I was rather expecting something like the 'Bricks & More' castle (5259) but with Classic Falcons, Pirates etc. which were all before my LEGO childhood.

With windows or doors that would fit a historic display... but this, I am really shocked!

To me this seems to be the best way to celebrate the anniversary, Lego started out by selling boxes of bricks (with a lot less variety of bricks), which had a few ideas printed on the outside, the rest was left to the child's imagination, and encouraged building and then taken to pieces and building something different, which is exactly what these sets offer.

If you want a big UCS style set then there are already lots out there (and TLG seems to be re-releasing some of the older ones), the Lego Classic sets (which is what the anniversary is celebrating), still sell in large numbers and parents like them as they encourage children to use their imagination.

I can see these sets being very popular.

Just now, LucyCol said:

To me this seems to be the best way to celebrate the anniversary, Lego started out by selling boxes of bricks (with a lot less variety of bricks), which had a few ideas printed on the outside, the rest was left to the child's imagination, and encouraged building and then taken to pieces and building something different, which is exactly what these sets offer.

That's true, and like I had said earlier on this thread, these sets in a way celebrate the System's sixtieth anniversary by showcasing how far along a basic brick assortment has come in six decades. They could have included many other more specialized parts and minifigures in these collections, but I think they only chose the most versatile of bricks currently available.

Now how these differ from sets in the Classic theme, we'll just have to wait and see. :shrug_confused:

I think they are 1) a nice set for AFOLs who look for some mixed pieces for their collection of spare pieces, 2) a fun starting point for some free-form creative building across age-groups, and 3) a huge disappointment for those uninterested in everything without instrucutions :wink: :laugh:.

But seriously, maybe there is a bunch of retro themed-sets coming as well. If not, ah well, then not. The kids will be happy anyway and they are center stage as target audience.

I did! I can't tell what the first of the four builds is...followed by yellow castle, pirate ship, and space. Also, it says purchase free with $125, but it also says $25 value. Does this mean we can buy the set for $25???

The first vignette is from the 6399 airport shuttle, then 375 castle, 6285 black seas barracuda and 497 galaxy explorer

Edited by julesvincent

2 hours ago, BigHobbit said:

I did! I can't tell what the first of the four builds is...followed by yellow castle, pirate ship, and space. Also, it says purchase free with $125, but it also says $25 value. Does this mean we can buy the set for $25???

Nope. 40178 VIP set is worth $25 as well. But they not sell it individually.

Probably 120€ to puchase in France to get this. Way too much for what it is.

Again Lego is doing it totaly wrong when it comes to celebrate past and brand history.

Edited by Timoonn

What is the code of that set on the January 2018 Store Calendar? Anyway it's gorgeous! I feel that 2018 will be a fantastic year, because:
- 60th Anniversary sets
- City Arctic
- City Trains
- Downtown Diner
- Shanghai
And I bet there will be more good sets!

Edited by Brick Lover
Spelling

Of course, I'm hoping that Creator (Expert or otherwise) will have something similar in store for the second half of 2018, preferably minifigure scale. :classic:

55 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Of course, I'm hoping that Creator (Expert or otherwise) will have something similar in store for the second half of 2018, preferably minifigure scale. :classic:

What's the 'similar' like? Similar to ...?

Just now, Brick Lover said:

What's the 'similar' like? Similar to ...?

Similar to the gift-with-purchase set seen at the bottom of the leaked January 2018 store catalog, as in that I'm hoping for something for the Creator theme that could pay homage to classic Lego sets and themes in the second half of 2018.

Thank you very much for the info! :classic:

That promo looks superb! :wub:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Similar to the gift-with-purchase set seen at the bottom of the leaked January 2018 store catalog, as in that I'm hoping for something for the Creator theme that could pay homage to classic Lego sets and themes in the second half of 2018.

I completely agree with you, Digger of Bricks! We really do need a new 10184 and even a new 10193/10223 for the 60th anniversary!

4 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you very much for the info! :classic:

That promo looks superb! :wub:

I completely agree with you, Digger of Bricks! We really do need a new 10184 and even a new 10193/10223 for the 60th anniversary!

I hope they'll not celebrate 60yr of Legos by re-releasing 10yr old sets. Pease no.