Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

I missed out on the harry potter sets last time.

A big regret of mine so even if it is only a rumour it makes me extremely excited.

I've been a huge LEGO Harry Potter fan since 2001, and I've got all the LEGO sets, and I'm so hoping this is true! 

My wish list for 2018 would be 3 FBaWtFT sets and 5 HP sets:

Escape from MACUSA 15$:

With Queenie, Jacob and Graves

Nifler and the bank 20$:

With Newt, Tina, Mary Lou Barebone and Nifler

Times Square battle 30$:

With Newt, Creedence, Grindelwald, Shaw Sr. and Picquery 

The Chamber of Secrets 45$:

With Harry, Ron, Ginny, Lockhart, Tom and Basilisk 

Malfoy Manor Battle 50$:

With Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dobby, Bellatrix, Narcissi and Wormtail

Hagrid's Hut 55$:

With Harry, Hermione Hagrid, Slughorn, Macnair, Buckbeak and Grawp

The Hogwarts Express 85$:

With Harry, Ron, Crabbe and Goyle, Dementor and Lupin

Hogwarts Castle 250$:

With Harry, Hermione, Luna, Dumbledore, Snape, Mad-Eye, McGonagall, Alecto Carrow, Amycus Carrow, Voldemort and 2x Dementors

29 minutes ago, Brick Wizard001 said:

I've been a huge LEGO Harry Potter fan since 2001, and I've got all the LEGO sets, and I'm so hoping this is true! 

Malfoy Manor Battle 50$:

With Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dobby, Bellatrix, Narcissi and Wormtail

There were originally plans for a Malfoy manor in the 2010 wave (but the plans were axed as lego exces though that parents wouldn't wan to by the scene were Dobby dies so Narcissa and Dobby were put in other sets instead.)

( But they may be more open to this idea now:def_shrug:)

Image result for lego malfoy manor

The bit in brackets is presumption and conjecture, there is a drawing of the set somewhere if I find it I will edit it into this post.

Edited by AgentKallus of Hydra

1 hour ago, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

There were originally plans for a Malfoy manor in the 2010 wave (but the plans were axed as lego exces though that parents wouldn't wan to by the scene were Dobby dies so Narcissa and Dobby were put in other sets instead.)

( But they may be more open to this idea now:def_shrug:)

The bit in brackets is presumption and conjecture, there is a drawing of the set somewhere if I find it I will edit it into this post.

That seems strange. In the very next wave they made a set depicting the Battle of Hogwarts. They even included Goyle and Lupin

I always felt it was a massive shame to not get Sirius Black as a figure other than the iffy version in the prison robes. Both him and Tonks would be something I'd hope for.

I really don't think we're going to get a set with 25 figures in it though.

I think the FB sets probably will be from the new movie, to bad because of all the fantastic beast in the first movie :wink: Even tough the films supposedly are called FB, I do not think all of them will focus so much on magizoology as the first one :wacko:

2 hours ago, Robianco said:

I always felt it was a massive shame to not get Sirius Black as a figure other than the iffy version in the prison robes. Both him and Tonks would be something I'd hope for.

I really don't think we're going to get a set with 25 figures in it though.

There were several figures who would be nice as a redo/first appearance. I'd like to see Fleur in the blue robes/hat appearance and a new Mad-Eye Moody, for example.

In my opinion- 

Minifigures that need little to no changes-

Dumbledore Years 3+ (although an updated pink/purple variant would be nice), McGonagall, Harry, Ron, Hermione (Dimensions fig), Hagrid, Bellatrix, Ginny, Lucius, Draco, Flitwick, Filch, Madam Hooch, Voldemort, Snape, Greyback, Fred, George, Olivander, Dobby, Luna, Goyle, Neville, Narcissa, Molly, Arthur, Oliver Wood, Marcus Flint

Minifigures that I'd like to see updated-

Sprout (New hat/hair mold), Quirrel, Lockhart, Sirius, Wormtail, Tom Riddle, Krum, Karkaroff, Deatheaters, Dementors (using the spectre piece), Lupin (with a recoloured Computer Programmer's hair, Griphook (more detailed sculpt as well as printing), Troll, Buckbeak, Umbridge, Trelawney, Crabbe, Mad-Eye

I'd list the new characters I'd want but we'd be here all day :grin:

9 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

In my opinion- 

Minifigures that need little to no changes-

Dumbledore Years 3+ (although an updated pink/purple variant would be nice), McGonagall, Harry, Ron, Hermione (Dimensions fig), Hagrid, Bellatrix, Ginny, Lucius, Draco, Flitwick, Filch, Madam Hooch, Voldemort, Snape, Greyback, Fred, George, Olivander, Dobby, Luna, Goyle, Neville, Narcissa, Molly, Arthur, Oliver Wood, Marcus Flint

Honestly, I think they all need a completely new upgrade. It's been 6 years (now) since we got new sets and if there are coming new sets next year it will be 7 years. Just think about the difference between the minifigures and the set design from the 2007 Hogwarts Castle and the 2010 Hogwarts Castle, and that's only 3 years! I will be so disappointed if they are just going to reuse the 2010 minifigure designs. 

38 minutes ago, Brick Wizard001 said:

Honestly, I think they all need a completely new upgrade. It's been 6 years (now) since we got new sets and if there are coming new sets next year it will be 7 years. Just think about the difference between the minifigures and the set design from the 2007 Hogwarts Castle and the 2010 Hogwarts Castle, and that's only 3 years! I will be so disappointed if they are just going to reuse the 2010 minifigure designs. 

Well Harry and Voldemort were released last year in Dimensions and they didn't change at all from the 2010 versions. Hermione was slightly different in the Dimensions release but still worked as a little update.

Dementors are crying out for the Spectre piece but we could speculate all day about how the would update all the figures if they took things to the TLBM level of moulds etc. Most of them do still work pretty well.

8 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Well Harry and Voldemort were released last year in Dimensions and they didn't change at all from the 2010 versions. Hermione was slightly different in the Dimensions release but still worked as a little update.

Harry had a new hair piece and Voldemort was missing nostrils.

I didn't like the Dimensions Harry and Voldemort looks odd without nostrils. I really want LEGO to surprise us all with new designs, but seeing how they reused the Jack Sparrow minifigure (almost with no alterations) from 2011 again this year, they'll probably just reuse the old designs as well for HP.

1 hour ago, GentlemanJoker said:

Harry had a new hair piece and Voldemort was missing nostrils.

They were close enough. Changing to an existing hairpiece isn't something we couldn't already do... if this is the level of change we'd get them those that want new designs and big 'upgrades' would be disappointed. That said, it's all total conjecture at this point. Who know what size of sets or how many we'd get.

3 hours ago, Robianco said:

They were close enough. Changing to an existing hairpiece isn't something we couldn't already do... if this is the level of change we'd get them those that want new designs and big 'upgrades' would be disappointed. That said, it's all total conjecture at this point. Who know what size of sets or how many we'd get.

Maybe they didn't want to update the figures massively for the dimensions pack.  I mean they would be a lot more describable if they had  new versions in new sets, personally I think it would encourage people to purchase the sets more.

Edited by Legoman123

Honestly, any continuation of the Harry Potter line would make me happy--I snatched up the Fantastic Beasts and Potter packs for Dimensions in a heartbeat. I wouldn't mind mostly reusing past figures, though I've wished for years for a line of Harry Potter sets with as much attention to detail as the Lord of the Rings sets. If we do get more sets, I'd appreciate anything. I think having a CMF wave would guarantee some new quality of figures, likely new parts, definitely new printings and reworked designs, if not some more special characters. I don't expect obscure figures in the line, but I'm excited for the very possible updates of elementary characters (Dumbledore surely, perhaps Sirius) to fill out the Collectible Minifigures. Maybe the Golden Trio will be given special variants in the series, sort of how TLM, The Simpsons, Ninjago and LEGO Batman series all came with variants of main characters, alongside secondary characters.

On the subject of theming, I'm super excited at the potential prospect of having BOTH Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts, if they release sets and figures under a 'Wizarding World' banner,  I think that'd be a dream come true! It makes sense to have FB next year, but if Potter is confirmed, I'm hoping that's what that means. For anyone asking about the Cursed Child--I don't think it'd make any sense for them to make a set/sets based off of the show, though (and I don't think this is at all likely) I'd adore just getting Scorpius and Albus in the CMF wave. 

Point is, I'd be happy getting anything magical from LEGO--and I think this is the best news I've heard for my collection in a good long while. I'm super psyched for 'the chase' of rumours, leaks and announcements to come. Full steam ahead!

This Harry Potter come back is a nice thing to happen meaning that we can hope for new LOTR and Hobbit sets to come back too! 

LEGO can take my money anyday with Harry Potter, LotR and The Hobbit.

I would love to have more Harry Potter minifigures to choose from without paying inflated prices. Even better if I can choose from an entire CMF set. 2017 has been a terribly boring year so far for me with Batman and now Ninjago.

However, the trend I see is LEGO making toys based on what animation they produce. A LEGO Harry Potter animated movie? Very unlikely imo.

Ideally they'd continue to offer new areas of Hogwarts. Apologies for any older members of the forum, who might remember this from an older 'HP Dream Set' post :blush:

As such, my dream set is 'Defenders of Hogwarts'. It would generally consist of a building not unlike Dumbledore's Office from 2010 but cleared out with the Potions classroom on the ground floor (instead of Trophy Room), and Madam Pomfrey's Infirmary (instead of Dumbledore's office). The top would be left as clear battlements. A bridge would lead into a second area, a tower like previous sets. Bottom floor would be Hufflepuff Common Room, middle could be clear/a statue and then the top would be the Ravenclaw Common Room.

Figures would be: Pomfrey, Slughorn, Cho Chang, a Hufflepuff Student and 2x Death Eaters.

I admit, however, that something doesn't feel right with this description. I feel it lacks any central characters, so a Harry would probably have to go somewhere.... 

5 hours ago, kaelthas said:

This Harry Potter come back is a nice thing to happen meaning that we can hope for new LOTR and Hobbit sets to come back too! 

We can't really hope for a LOTR revival. JK Rowling has an ongoing film franchise right now that ties into Harry Potter, while LOTR has nothing. 

5 hours ago, kaelthas said:

You can always hope, but it not very likely.. If they release new movies from middle-earth or something the chances do increase, but I have read that the sets where not best-sellers.. True or not, I believe the LOTR/Hobbit fans are on average rather old. The HP fans come in all ages; kids, youth and adults (male and female alike), It is not like the kids have stopped reading Harry Potter books in resent years (the LOTR brick on the other hand is probably not so popular in primary school). It is good that AFOLs buy many sets in a theme, but to sell a lot of sets Lego needs to get on the kids wish-list.. It is a reason HP supposedly is the most wanted theme not in production :wink:

I hope this wave will bring a forbidden forest set instead of the normal Hagrid's Hut set, at the very least give us a Fang mould :sweet:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

I hope this wave will bring a forbidden forest set instead of the normal Hagrid's Hut set, at the very least give us a Fang mould :sweet:

The more dog pieces, the better! I'd like to see a few animals come out of it; a flying owl variation would be cool!

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

We can't really hope for a LOTR revival. JK Rowling has an ongoing film franchise right now that ties into Harry Potter, while LOTR has nothing. 

Silmarillion maybe?

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

You can always hope, but it not very likely.. If they release new movies from middle-earth or something the chances do increase, but I have read that the sets where not best-sellers.. True or not, I believe the LOTR/Hobbit fans are on average rather old. The HP fans come in all ages; kids, youth and adults (male and female alike), It is not like the kids have stopped reading Harry Potter books in resent years (the LOTR brick on the other hand is probably not so popular in primary school). It is good that AFOLs buy many sets in a theme, but to sell a lot of sets Lego needs to get on the kids wish-list.. It is a reason HP supposedly is the most wanted theme not in production :wink:

Yeah, kids don't really appreciate LOTR that much.. 

1 hour ago, kaelthas said:

Silmarillion maybe?

I love the LotR sets (until the last wave, which was totally phoned-in) but it's not gonna happen. Christopher Tolkien retains the rights to that book and by most accounts he wasn't a fan of what was done with The Hobbit and LotR... so the likelihood he sells the film rights for any other books are slim-to-none. 

Still, the LotR sets are a cautionary tale for HP. LEGO clearly hoped they had the makings of a long-running line of sets, but it seems the sales just weren't there. I gather they are struggling to find another evergreen line of the likes of SW, Ninjago, and City. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to do a rotating lineup of smaller licenses, each of which gets attention for a year before going on hiatus to make way for another license. This is basically the approach Playmobil takes... one year they do Knights, the next they do Pirates, then History, and back to Knights. It seems like this approach would allow LEGO to do HP one year, then cycle through a few waves dedicated to another of their licenses like Goonies, Ghostbusters, Pirates of the Caribbean, E.T., and even LotR. This would relieve the pressure on any one license to become evergreen and allow them to tie into movie releases and anniversaries as they come and go.

Edited by jdubbs

52 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Still, the LotR sets are a cautionary tale for HP. LEGO clearly hoped they had the makings of a long-running line of sets, but it seems the sales just weren't there. I gather they are struggling to find another evergreen line of the likes of SW, Ninjago, and City. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to do a rotating lineup of smaller licenses, each of which gets attention for a year before going on hiatus to make way for another license. This is basically the approach Playmobil takes... one year they do Knights, the next they do Pirates, then History, and back to Knights. It seems like this approach would allow LEGO to do HP one year, then cycle through a few waves dedicated to another of their licenses like Goonies, Ghostbusters, Pirates of the Caribbean, E.T., and even LotR. This would relieve the pressure on any one license to become evergreen and allow them to tie into movie releases and anniversaries as they come and go.

Lego also do this at least with the classic themes like pirates and castle, they were evergreen and probably still are, but Lego give us a wave every few years.. The problem for AFOLs with this approach is that we basically get the same 5-6 sets in every wave and that is often a little boring after a while :sceptic: While themes that gets several waves in a row usually get more different sets :thumbup:

The wizarding world of Harry Potter have in my opinion the makings of a evergreen theme like SW if given the chance :wink: