Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

On 7/18/2018 at 10:25 PM, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m still very curious about that Ollivander minifigure that leaked a while back. It doesn’t look like it’s a polybag (bit of an odd character to have in a polybag anyway) and unless it’s in the D2C, which doesn’t seem likely, my only reasonable guess is that he’s in a set from the next wave. I’m asking because I honestly don’t know, but is it possible for a leak to appear that soon? Would the alleged set be finished enough for that kind of leak? If so, does it make it likely that the set would appear earlier in the year? Because I have a very hard time believing that a minifigure could leak from a set that won’t be released until more than a year from said leak. Thoughts? (It’s relevant because the leak appeared in 2018)

I actually don't think that Ollivander figure is real.  I mean, I think it's a purist custom from real LEGO parts, but as far as I can tell, the head and torso are exactly the same as the 2011 version, which would seem unlikely for a new figure, since every other character got a major update.  I'm unable to locate the picture at the moment, so I forget what legs the figure used, but if I recall correctly, it had the hair from the new Nearly Headless Nick figure.  So I think it's a red herring, or a random picture that has caused way too much expectation.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be mistaken; the late John Hurt (:sad:) was an excellent actor, and the Diagon Alley D2C from 2011 was phenomenal.  I just don't think we have any proof that this upcoming figure is real.  Honestly, I think the old Diagon Alley set is so good that it could be a pretty much "from-the-vault" re-release like the Taj Mahal...but I don't see that happening.

23 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I actually don't think that Ollivander figure is real.  I mean, I think it's a purist custom from real LEGO parts, but as far as I can tell, the head and torso are exactly the same as the 2011 version, which would seem unlikely for a new figure, since every other character got a major update.  I'm unable to locate the picture at the moment, so I forget what legs the figure used, but if I recall correctly, it had the hair from the new Nearly Headless Nick figure.  So I think it's a red herring, or a random picture that has caused way too much expectation.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be mistaken; the late John Hurt (:sad:) was an excellent actor, and the Diagon Alley D2C from 2011 was phenomenal.  I just don't think we have any proof that this upcoming figure is real.  Honestly, I think the old Diagon Alley set is so good that it could be a pretty much "from-the-vault" re-release like the Taj Mahal...but I don't see that happening.

Tourso and head are actually different from the original one. They are similar but the leaked one has better detailing 

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Looks like we get a new trailer later today :sweet:

crimes-of-grindelwald-poster-sdcc-2018.j

EXCELLENT 

17 minutes ago, DungeonsAndFlagons said:

Where are these trailers I have heard about? Anyone got a link?

It hasn’t happened yet. They’ll show it later 

1 hour ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Dumbledore teaching DADA? That's weird. I wonder what's up with that.

Jude Law said in an interview that he’s aware Dumbledore taught Transfiguration, but that the character hasn’t gotten to that point yet in the story

12 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Tourso and head are actually different from the original one. They are similar but the leaked one has better detailing 

Plus the image was taken down. Why remove it if it wasn’t real?

10 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Dumbledore teaching DADA? That's weird. I wonder what's up with that.

Well I guess it was convenient to the movie so they did it..

It is like the FB book, it is only a small thing with a few pages J. K. Rowling wrote on the side for charity, they can not let that limited them on a huge 5 film epos. So they introduce a lot of new beasts in the movies that is not in the original book, then instead update the book as the beast show up.. It is mentioned in the HP books that he used to teach transfiguration, but that do not necessarily mean that he have never teach anything else in his life..

Edited by Roebuck

9 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Jude Law said in an interview that he’s aware Dumbledore taught Transfiguration, but that the character hasn’t gotten to that point yet in the story

For a second, I thought maybe he switched to Transfiguration AFTER Riddle applied and cursed the position?!

But that can't be because Dumbledore would stop teaching once he becomes Headmaster?

According to the birth dates on the HP wikia (Newt's being in 1897, Dumbledore's in 1881), the DADA lesson from the trailer would take place around 1910. That is pretty early, Dumbledore would be no more than 30 and just starting his career in school. It's safe to assume when he applied, the current transfiguration professor didn't just step down to make space for him. Dumbledore took the position that was available and waited for transfiguration to become vacant

While the new trailer is very exciting and all, let's please bring this thread back to the released and upcoming LEGO. Purely movie talk goes here: 

Thank you!

Apologies if this sort of thing isn't allowed, but does anyone know a reputable place where I could buy the whole series all at once, rather than having to buy the blind bags? :sceptic: I know there are places where you can buy a whole box but that would be pretty expensive - just wondering if there is any place where you can just buy one of each figure?

1 hour ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

Apologies if this sort of thing isn't allowed, but does anyone know a reputable place where I could buy the whole series all at once, rather than having to buy the blind bags? :sceptic: I know there are places where you can buy a whole box but that would be pretty expensive - just wondering if there is any place where you can just buy one of each figure?

eBay is normally the place for that; sellers sell whole sets or individual figures. You will usually pay a premium for this and of course sellers will price the individual figures according to their rarity / popularity e.g. expect Percival Graves to be expensive.

I'm really excited about future Fantastic Beasts sets, particularly since we are still missing several key characters to the new film. I'm wondering when the next wave will be. 

35 minutes ago, Black Numenorean said:

So, for the peope who bought the sets, what is your impression?

They are incredible and well worth investing in them all, especially based on the resell prices of Harry Potter sets in the past. Quite honestly for what you get in each set the prices are quite reasonable as well. The detail and thought that went into each set is light-years beyond the older versions. For example, I have the 2001 Hogwarts Express and side to side the 2018 version is so much more impressive, just the locomotive alone. 

3 hours ago, Black Numenorean said:

So, for the peope who bought the sets, what is your impression?

Best sets in years you won't regret buying them. There are so many cool new pieces and sweet builds (love the Ford Angelia build in particular) that I had blast making them all. And color pallet is perfect it's not too much of one color. Combine GH, WW, AL you have a very nice display piece. The minifigs are sweet too. For their respective prices they are pretty big. My only gripe is finding a way to display the first three movie figs with the next three. It's gonna be weird having shorty Harry next to Cedric and Luna in my Hogwarts display. Buy evey set you can.

3 hours ago, RODDY said:

Best sets in years you won't regret buying them. There are so many cool new pieces and sweet builds (love the Ford Angelia build in particular) that I had blast making them all. And color pallet is perfect it's not too much of one color. Combine GH, WW, AL you have a very nice display piece. The minifigs are sweet too. For their respective prices they are pretty big. My only gripe is finding a way to display the first three movie figs with the next three. It's gonna be weird having shorty Harry next to Cedric and Luna in my Hogwarts display. Buy evey set you can.

I concur.  Even in the United States, these sets are hard to find (at least near me), and I feel that it's rather shallow that the rest of the world has to be made to wait, just because LEGO cut a corporate deal with Target.  THAT BEING SAID, it's only ten days until the worldwide release (including the Fantastic Beasts sets and the Collectible Minifigures), and I promise everyone everywhere that these sets are phenomenal!  My only gripes are as follows:

-Harry and Ron have the same outfits in Hogwarts Express and Aragog's Lair; had I noticed this, I probably would have skipped the latter, because I'm an arachnophobe.  :blush:  Well, at least Ron and I can commiserate.  :wink:

-Why does Snape have a purple undershirt?  I know the original Snape minifigures looked that way, but the 2010 figure was a perfect representation of Alan Rickman's character

-Speaking of Snape, he and other figures desperately need capes.  I even gave Snape a black fabric trooper kama from Star Wars, just to make him look more intimidating.  In my opinion, Dumbledore benefits greatly from Elrond's double-sided red and dark yellow cape from LOTR.

-Fawkes the phoenix is okay, but I'm sure glad I somehow hung on to the old molded figure from 2002.  The Basilisk, on the other hand, is a complete joke.  I don't even consider it to be a Basilisk, and since we haven't seen Lockhart, Riddle, Ginny, or Moaning Myrtle yet, I imagine we have a good chance for a Chamber of Secrets set down the road.

-The flying Ford Anglia is indeed great, as RODDY said, and I was very pleasantly shocked that the doors are actually printed with a white stripe.  I was so sure that would be a sticker!  The boot of the car is also ingeniously built.  That being said, I still think the original version of the car from 2002 is the best, because it can comfortably fit two side by side, and it had chrome engine grilles.

-McGonagall has a double-sided head, which is quite visible from behind her old-school wizard hat.

That might sound like a lot of cons, but I could probably write the praises of these sets for hours and still not cover every excellent detail, so I just wanted to list the things that were really surprising or notable to me.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, AnnaBuildsLego said:

BrickLink is probably the best place, and usually prices are much lower than eBay - good luck!

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Is my Target the only one that doesn’t carry the new HP polybags???

I’ve been to three different Targets in my state and none of them seem to have it as well, sadly.

@Jern92, and any other Kiwis, most of the sets are available at The Warehouse, except no Hogwarts Express, Grindlewalds Escape or Hermione Brickheadz yet. I just picked them all up online. Might pick up a second Quidditch set when I find them instore. The only thing I didn't buy was the CMF, as I want to ensure I get a full box, so will buy from Toyco.

Edited by sunhuntin
adding info

2 minutes ago, sunhuntin said:

@Jern92, and any other Kiwis, the sets are available at The Warehouse. I just picked them all up online. Might pick up a second Quidditch set when I find them instore. The only thing I didn't buy was the CMF, as I want to ensure I get a full box, so will buy from Toyco.

Good catch! How did you manage to stumble upon them?

It was posted on NZ Fans Of Lego Facebook page that several people found them instore. Apparently Unikitty is out too, but that range doesnt interest me as much. Hopefully the 3 missing sets will be out August 1st. There is speculation the express will be a Farmers exclusive.