Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

31 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Think I’m gonna save up VIP points from these sets for the D2C.

my plan is buying all that’s availible day 1 at Lego store, will be going halves with my partner (she’s a mad potterhead who only recently got into Lego because of me, and as she drove me to the nearest store the morning of the Falcon’s release, I think I owe her a trip there for this wave)

Will get the CMFs probably elsewhere, where they’re likely to not have already been rummaged through.

I think it’s there as simply an Easter egg, with a similar hatch/trap door to come in an eventual Shrieking Shack Set. I think Lego really have this planned out

I have a good amount of VIP points saved so I'm picking these all up on day 1 at the Lego store. Then I'll just buy the D2C Hogwarts when it's released for retail price and hopefully double VIP points.

3 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

nice one, thanks :D

You're welcome!

1 minute ago, harleydavid98 said:

so how much are VIP points worth? Are they worth a certain amount in currency or do sets just say 50,000 VIP points etc?

In the US, you earn 1 VIP points for every $1 you spend (not including tax or shipping). So if you buy a $9.99 set, you earn 9.99 VIP points. Once you earn 100 points, you get a $5 reward. So basically, you get $5 for every $100 you spend. They expire in December, 2 years after you earn them. Every few months, Lego has offers of double or even the rare triple VIP points. though triple hasn't happened in a long time. That's usually when I rack up points on large sets like the modular buildings.

Just now, newwavejunkie said:

In the US, you earn 1 VIP points for every $1 you spend (not including tax or shipping). So if you buy a $9.99 set, you earn 9.99 VIP points. Once you earn 100 points, you get a $5 reward. So basically, you get $5 for every $100 you spend. They expire in December, 2 years after you earn them. Every few months, Lego has offers of double or even the rare triple VIP points. though triple hasn't happened in a long time. That's usually when I rack up points on large sets like the modular buildings.

so starting as a newbie I'm gonna earn like £10 because I'll probably get like £200+ worth of sets xD

4 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

so starting as a newbie I'm gonna earn like £10 because I'll probably get like £200+ worth of sets xD

If you are lucky, they'll offer double VIP and you'll earn 20! Just be aware it usually takes a couple of days to credit to your account so you won't be able to use the rewards the same day you earn them.

1 minute ago, newwavejunkie said:

If you are lucky, they'll offer double VIP and you'll earn 20! Just be aware it usually takes a couple of days to credit to your account so you won't be able to use the rewards the same day you earn them.

actually looking like it might be a bit more, I've just worked out how much it would be for every set based on the rumoured prices (I plan on buying them all day 1 FB and HP both included) and it comes to around £327.93 so around £15 in VIP points, or £30 if there's double on like you say (let's hope)

You can do much better than VIP points if you are willing to wait. They regularly have offers of free polybags or exclusive promotional sets for spends above a certain threshold. If you plan and buy what you need to just cross the threshold, you'll maximise benefits. Whereas if the sets appear in supermarkets, you'll be able to get 30% or so off at some stage (this is UK specific). That is if you are willing to wait maybe 3-4 months. It all depends whether you must have them on day 1 or not.

Just now, MAB said:

You can do much better than VIP points if you are willing to wait. They regularly have offers of free polybags or exclusive promotional sets for spends above a certain threshold. If you plan and buy what you need to just cross the threshold, you'll maximise benefits. Whereas if the sets appear in supermarkets, you'll be able to get 30% or so off at some stage (this is UK specific). That is if you are willing to wait maybe 3-4 months. It all depends whether you must have them on day 1 or not.

normally I'd say yes I can wait, but I'm going to London (3 hours away from where I live) to get them day 1, I'm not too fussed about promos tbh, if the minifig set is Bricktober then so be it, but if it's available when I go to get them in August then I hope I'll be able to get that too, I'm hoping with going during the week most people will be working and kids will be at school so they won't be completely sold out, although I do plan to get there quite early so I can get in straight away and grab them

Keep an eye out for the lego store calendars each month I guess.

Just now, deskp said:

Keep an eye out for the lego store calendars each month I guess.

when are they announced? a few days before the 1st or on the 1st?

Just now, harleydavid98 said:

when are they announced? a few days before the 1st or on the 1st?

June calendar was released on may 1st. So i'd expect july one on june 1st

Just now, deskp said:

June calendar was released on may 1st. So i'd expect july one on june 1st

ooh, exciting, where can I find said calendar?

47 minutes ago, newwavejunkie said:

That might not be the case nowadays. When I purchased the UCS Falcon, I returned an hour later and bought the Slave 1 and used the points I earned from the Falcon

1 minute ago, Whovastron said:

That might not be the case nowadays. When I purchased the UCS Falcon, I returned an hour later and bought the Slave 1 and used the points I earned from the Falcon

Doesn’t matter to me, I only plan on using the VIP points to get money off whatever the D2C set is, unless it doesn’t interest me ofc, are you able to earn points on sets you spend points on?

3 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

Doesn’t matter to me, I only plan on using the VIP points to get money off whatever the D2C set is, unless it doesn’t interest me ofc, are you able to earn points on sets you spend points on?

You only earn points on what you actually pay for.  So if you buy a $100 set and use $10 worth of VIP points you earn 90 vip points for that purchase.  

And not that I really care, but I'm sure others will get angry about the "off-topic" conversation, you might want to take future VIP related questions to a related message board.

2 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

No. You only get points on the part paid for by money.

41 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

...  when I go to get them in August then I hope I'll be able to get that too, I'm hoping with going during the week most people will be working and kids will be at school so they won't be completely sold out ...

Kids won't be at school in August. I cannot see these being difficult to get. They might sell out briefly in stores, but they will be available for months and months.

Also LEGO tends not to have that good promotions on release day. They don't need to. People that want whatever so desperately on day 1 need no incentive to buy, so they aren't given one. WHereas those that wait a bit longer will need tempting to buy. If I see the ones I want in Sainsburys or Tescos or Argos, or ASDA then I'll wait, as I know I'll get 30% off. And I can wait to build them.

5 minutes ago, RyanMe said:

You only earn points on what you actually pay for.

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

You only get points on the part paid for by money.

I thought this would be the case

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

People that want whatever so desperately on day 1 need no incentive to buy

that's me xD

7 minutes ago, RyanMe said:

I'm sure others will get angry about the "off-topic" conversation

nobody seemed all that bothered, they seemed happy to answer :)

39 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Sweet, I didn't know that. This may change my entire strategy!

does anyone know roughly how long it is before release that D2C sets get announced (not leaked), if it's before August and it doesn't interest me I might use my VIP points for CMFs (I'm presuming you can), then I can get £15 worth of CMF packs

10 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

does anyone know roughly how long it is before release that D2C sets get announced (not leaked), if it's before August and it doesn't interest me I might use my VIP points for CMFs (I'm presuming you can), then I can get £15 worth of CMF packs

Depends when the D2C is being released. There’s been rumours of basically every month after August being the release. The origina rumour was Nov/Dec. Then someone said October. Now I’ve seen someone claim September, and someone else claim it’s coming with the August 1st release.

basically it’s just a guessing game tbh. But it will likely be announced a few weeks before release.

9 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

Joker Manor which was a D2C released December 2017(November 15 for VIP members) was officially announced on September 26.  SO i would assume around the same time fram, which means you won't know at the time of the first wave release.  When you go to the Lego store to make your purchase, ask them for a free shipping code, then you can wait until the release and make up your mind, order online, redeem VIP, points and get free shipping.  Saves a trip that way.

Just now, Whovastron said:

Depends when the D2C is being released. There’s been rumours of basically every month after August being the release. The origina rumour was Nov/Dec. Then someone said October. Now I’ve seen someone claim September, and someone else claim it’s coming with the August 1st release.

basically it’s just a guessing game tbh. But it will likely be announced a few weeks before release.

Just now, RyanMe said:

Joker Manor which was a D2C released December 2017(November 15 for VIP members) was officially announced on September 26.  SO i would assume around the same time fram, which means you won't know at the time of the first wave release.  When you go to the Lego store to make your purchase, ask them for a free shipping code, then you can wait until the release and make up your mind, order online, redeem VIP, points and get free shipping.  Saves a trip that way.

that sounds hopeful, I hope that it is the Hogwarts that's rumoured, but if not I'm still anticipating learning more about it :D

Never buy a d2c in the early VIP time, sometimes there is a free minifig with purchases when it's available for everybody.

If i remember correct thats what happened with 60's batman and mr freeze minifigure. So a lot of VIP members missed out on it.