Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

11 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Taking that info with a grain of salt, but if it's true than Lego will have completely sold out their own basic values.

The roster going forward would be this:

Castle Harry Potter

Space Star Wars

City Assorted Police Officers

Pirates POTC

CMFS Licensed Themes Bonanza

Every Action theme ever NINJAGO

and one crap"Big Bang" theme every three years.

If Castle isn't ever coming back, they should just be upfront about it because I would like to stop funding them as soon as possible. I'm totally fine with Harry Potter existing, if fact I like the series and I own a few of the 2010 sets. However, if they replace Castle with it then I have no problem buying old sets secondhand and not giving Lego a single penny for the next decade. :tongue:

I don't see why people think that ,harry potter = no castle, the castle drought started long before hp was rumored to return and Hp doesn't feature knights ( well not really but I'll admit that there are a few), hell even the castles are in different styles as Hogwarts is more gothic compared to the more medieval castle theme castles. Harry potter seems to be the last is a long list of scapegoats but I doubt its the real problem. The real problem is children's disinterest (whether real or perceived is irrelevant) in the castle theme that tlg seem to have noticed.

I am a fan of historical themes and I would rank the 2007 (fanasty era) castle theme among my favourites of all time but I don't think there is any logic in boycotting lego harry potter just because you miss castle.

I think Boycotting HP over no separate Castle theme would actually be super counterintuitive to wanting a Castle theme revival..

1 hour ago, Black Numenorean said:

Thank you for the answer.

Buy i remember one think in 2002: the wave of Hp was not a big sucessed

Today i don't think so too.

And the guy who said that: is it reliable?

I don't know if I believe that. Movies 1, 2, and 3 of HP all had really big waves. The theme even continued on for movies 4 and 5, though they definitely downsized the theme for those two movies. 

31 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I don't see why people think that ,harry potter = no castle, the castle drought started long before hp was rumored to return and Hp doesn't feature knights ( well not really but I'll admit that there are a few), hell even the castles are in different styles as Hogwarts is more gothic compared to the more medieval castle theme castles. Harry potter seems to be the last is a long list of scapegoats but I doubt its the real problem. The real problem is children's disinterest (whether real or perceived is irrelevant) in the castle theme that tlg seem to have noticed.

I am a fan of historical themes and I would rank the 2007 (fanasty era) castle theme among my favourites of all time but I don't think there is any logic in boycotting lego harry potter just because you miss castle.

Sorry for not clarifying. Obviously that's all true, but we're going off of what Lego thinks. Lego thought the Nexo was a Castle theme. I agree, but you can see why most traditional Castle fans wouldn't. Nexo was a great theme, but it isn't really a true Castle theme. In your post you also laid out why HP isn't a Castle theme. I agree with that as well. Whether or not I take an extended break from Lego hinges on what their plan is going forward, and we'll be able to tell by mid-next year.

2 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Castle Harry Potter

Space Star Wars

Pirates POTC

And, come 2020, inevitable playsets for the fifth Indiana Jones movies will be filling in the Adventurers theme's shoes. Believe me, I LOVE Indiana Jones, but with the state of mind I'm currently in now, I'd compromise a second coming of the theme for an all-new, in-house Adventurers theme instead. 

3 hours ago, harleydavid98 said:

Guessing you’ve just watched Just2Good’s new video, I hope it does become evergreen, I will indeed love collecting these

You mean this video?

2 hours ago, Black Numenorean said:

Thank you for the answer.

Buy i remember one think in 2002: the wave of Hp was not a big sucessed

Today i don't think so too.

And the guy who said that: is it reliable?

The reason they are bringing it back is because they feel like there is a overwhelming demand for Harry Potter. So clearly lego thinks it’s going to sell and sell well

2 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Taking that info with a grain of salt, but if it's true than Lego will have completely sold out their own basic values.

Castle Harry Potter

Space Star Wars

Pirates POTC

If Castle isn't ever coming back, they should just be upfront about it because I would like to stop funding them as soon as possible. I'm totally fine with Harry Potter existing, if fact I like the series and I own a few of the 2010 sets. However, if they replace Castle with it then I have no problem buying old sets secondhand and not giving Lego a single penny for the next decade. :tongue:

I’m not 100% sure about this but I am pretty sure the 2010 castle didn’t sell great so Lego has tried things they feel like would sell better. It seems that whenever Lego finds a nonlicenced theme that sells, they evergreen it 

30 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I’m not 100% sure about this but I am pretty sure the 2010 castle didn’t sell great so Lego has tried things they feel like would sell better. It seems that whenever Lego finds a nonlicenced theme that sells, they evergreen it 

Kingdoms sold well enough to warrant a full second wave and a giant exclusive set in the third year. I think you're talking about Castle 2013, which probably didn't sell too well because Lego dumbed it down so it wouldn't compete with LOTR. Both of them ended up being flops though.

As to your second point, the only non licensed theme that's been evergreened is Ninjago, which is technically a license now too. Other than City Lego seems to have discontinued all non-licensed themes permanently. Can't blame 'em, what sells, sells. I just don't have to be happy with it.

13 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Kingdoms sold well enough to warrant a full second wave and a giant exclusive set in the third year. I think you're talking about Castle 2013, which probably didn't sell too well because Lego dumbed it down so it wouldn't compete with LOTR. Both of them ended up being flops though.

I think the biggest problem with LotR was not that it straight up "flopped," but that Lego seriously mismanaged the theme in the second wave and made sets people didn't ask for and didn't want to buy. Why would you make a forgettable ghost pirate ship over iconic moments like the Balrog, Fellbeast, etc? It's pretty much on them. And then $200 big black tower over the Minas Tirith people wanted? Hm. Poor handling. 

Here's hoping Lego doesn't make a similar mistake with Harry Potter! Looks like they're pumping out some iconic sets in this first wave and saving some good stuff for the future as well. 

3 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Yes.  I would like transparency.

47 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

As to your second point, the only non licensed theme that's been evergreened is Ninjago, which is technically a license now too. Other than City Lego seems to have discontinued all non-licensed themes permanently. Can't blame 'em, what sells, sells. I just don't have to be happy with it.

There are still plenty of original Lego themes. People can argue that The Lego Movie and Ninjago/Ninjago Movie themes are licensed, but they aren’t like themes like Harry Potter and Super Heroes because they’re still purely original Lego ideas and designs. They’ve also got the new Unikitty series, Friends, Creator, Technic, and more. They do have lots of licensed themes and licensed sets seem to sell pretty well, but that doesn’t mean all of their original themes and ideas are completely dead. 

1 hour ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

There are still plenty of original Lego themes.

Is that really true though? Of the “original” themes remaining, we have three girl-themed lines (Elves, Unikitty and Friends) three City lines (Creator, City and Creator Expert) and Technic. That’s literally it. You can either build a city, or you can collect overpriced licensed sets for that one figure that somehow made it worth the money.

Lego no longer seems to be about the building or the creativity. It is about brand recognition and serving as a collector’s line for people who care more about resale value than the actual product.

5 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Castle Harry Potter

Space Star Wars

Pirates POTC

I love HP, but other than that I prefer unlicensed over licensed sets.. I think HP can become a evergreen theme and be as popular as SW, but I do not have such gloomy predictions on the future as you :tongue:

1. I do not think HP are blocking castle! Nexo knights sure did with both castle and space, but now the cat is dead so the mice can come out and play :wink:
  2. SW is probably blocking space to some extent, but there have been several space themes during SW reign
  3. The kids love police so city have a new wave every year, but other that that there is plenty of other sets as well! Researcher themes like Arctic, jungle, deep sea etc, civilian sets like people packs and capitol, a new hospital and trains etc
  4. Yes POTC are most likely blocking pirates, but they only got one set last time so I have a feeling the good old pirates will be be back soon :pir-grin: We can't expect it to come a shipload of sets every year like it used to, but it comes a wave every few years at least..
  5. On the CMFS I agree, way to many licensed series for my taste, 1 licensed and 2 normal every year would have been great, not the other way around :wacko:
  6. With ninago and "big bang" I am not sure, you could be right :wink:

Where do you guys see Bellatrix minifigure? Lilly and James? I only saw Hagrid, quidditch team (don't know their names) Ron and Harry potter on instagram. 

And i would also love if Harry Potter became evergreen theme like star wars. I wasn't collecting lego when first harry potter sets came out and now they are so expensive. I also love that the cmf series is coming, hopefully new hair pieces and plenty of new accessories in it.

Edited by cebelicamya

6 minutes ago, cebelicamya said:

Where do you guys see Bellatrix minifigure? Lilly and James? I only saw Hagrid, quidditch team (don't know their names) Ron and Harry potter on instagram. 

And i would also love if Harry Potter became evergreen theme like star wars. I wasn't collecting lego when first harry potter sets came out and now they are so expensive. I also love that the cmf series is coming, hopefully new hair pieces and plenty of new accessories in it.

The Bellatrix wasn't new, it was from the video game and some people got confused. I don't know about Lilly and James though.

7 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Sorry for not clarifying. Obviously that's all true, but we're going off of what Lego thinks. Lego thought the Nexo was a Castle theme. I agree, but you can see why most traditional Castle fans wouldn't. Nexo was a great theme, but it isn't really a true Castle theme. In your post you also laid out why HP isn't a Castle theme. I agree with that as well. Whether or not I take an extended break from Lego hinges on what their plan is going forward, and we'll be able to tell by mid-next year.

We can only hope.

42 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

The Bellatrix wasn't new, it was from the video game and some people got confused. I don't know about Lilly and James though.

We can only hope.

Thanx for clarification. I still hope she has the old hair piece and updated skirt piece. Would love to own that hair piece. 

I don't know that Potter theme will remplace castle theme. I bet for a come bac of middle earth theme with Amazon's serie.

Moreover, we can see that TLC has still the licence in their wallet with lego dimension.

4 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Is that really true though? Of the “original” themes remaining, we have three girl-themed lines (Elves, Unikitty and Friends) three City lines (Creator, City and Creator Expert) and Technic. That’s literally it.

What is girl-themed about Unikitty? Isn't it aimed at all younger kids?

Lego no longer seems to be about the building or the creativity. It is about brand recognition and serving as a collector’s line for people who care more about resale value than the actual product.

Have you tried classic or creator sets? There are huge numbers of sets released every year that (i) are not licensed and (ii) are not likely to increase in value on retirement.

Is that really true though? Of the “original” themes remaining, we have three girl-themed lines (Elves, Unikitty and Friends) three City lines (Creator, City and Creator Expert) and Technic. That’s literally it. You can either build a city, or you can collect overpriced licensed sets for that one figure that somehow made it worth the money.

You seem to be a grown adult who is just whinging about Lego sets that may or may not come out? What is your moaning actually adding to this forum?

2 hours ago, harleydavid98 said:

You seem to be a grown adult who is just whinging about Lego sets that may or may not come out? What is your moaning actually adding to this forum?

Well first of all, perception and reality are two different things! We were having a civil discussion until you showed up, so tell me: What is your complaining about about my complaining actually adding to this forum? :wink:

2 hours ago, MAB said:

What is girl-themed about Unikitty? Isn't it aimed at all younger kids?

Have you tried classic or creator sets? There are huge numbers of sets released every year that (i) are not licensed and (ii) are not likely to increase in value on retirement.

Unikitty comes off as a girl’s theme due to the pastel colors and the predominately female cast. It has its own lane, but it doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve bought a few Creator sets in the past few years, I like how Lego has included a nice variety of City buildings in the line but there’s not much to it outside of that. Hopefully the reason why Creator isn’t doing Castle, Pirates, Space and “Action Theme” type sets is because Lego intends to bring them back at some point.

1 minute ago, BrickJagger said:

Well first of all, perception and reality are two different things! We were having a civil discussion until you showed up, so tell me: What is your complaining about about my complaining actually adding to this forum? :wink:

Touché ?, I was tired when I wrote that as probably could be told by the sharp tone ?

2 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Unikitty comes off as a girl’s theme due to the pastel colors and the predominately female cast. It has its own lane, but it doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve bought a few Creator sets in the past few years, I like how Lego has included a nice variety of City buildings in the line but there’s not much to it outside of that. Hopefully the reason why Creator isn’t doing Castle, Pirates, Space and “Action Theme” type sets is because Lego intends to bring them back at some point.

Unikitty is definitely a girl’s theme, I’m sure it was always meant to be, just like Friends to get girls into Lego, and I think Space May be coming back next year, same as Pirates, but Castles I’m not so sure about

15 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

Unikitty is definitely a girl’s theme, I’m sure it was always meant to be, just like Friends to get girls into Lego, and I think Space May be coming back next year, same as Pirates, but Castles I’m not so sure about

It isn't, it is a children's theme. Look at the characters: Unikitty (f), Puppycorn (m), Hawkodile (m), Dr Fox (f), Master Frown (m), Richard (m), Brock (m). More males than females in the cast. Both genders like bright colours. The storylines are equally applicable to both female and male viewers. It is no more definitely aimed only at girls than The Hunger Games is aimed only at girls or Harry Potter aimed only at boys.

Edited by MAB

2 minutes ago, MAB said:

It isn't, it is a children's theme. Look at the characters: Unikitty (f), Puppycorn (m), Hawkodile (m), Dr Fox (f), Master Frown (m), Richard (m), Brock (m). More males than females in the cast. Both genders like bright colours. The storylines are equally applicable to both female and male viewers. It is no more definitely aimed only at girls than The Hunger Games is aimed only at girls or Harry Potter aimed only at boys.

Hunger Games was never stated to be for just for girls, however Unikitty was, by Lego when it was first announced, girls are more interested in “kitties” than boys are, it always has been aimed at girls, you can deny it all you like, but it doesn’t make it any less true

1 hour ago, harleydavid98 said:

Hunger Games was never stated to be for just for girls, however Unikitty was, by Lego when it was first announced, girls are more interested in “kitties” than boys are, it always has been aimed at girls, you can deny it all you like, but it doesn’t make it any less true

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion isn't "truth". My 4yo son is obsessed with "kitties" just as much as his (girl) best friend. And I know several male AFOLs who are more excited about Unikitty sets than most anything else coming from LEGO right now... she has a cult following dating back to her appearance in TLM that transcends genders. And even if she didn't, just because a show/movie/toy line has a female protagonist does not make it a "girl's" show... just look at the last three Star Wars movies.

I would challenge you to back up your claim that LEGO stated the show was "just for girls" with some actual documentation. Because that seems pretty unlikely, and definitely off-brand.

Edited by jdubbs

1 hour ago, harleydavid98 said:

So link to the press statement where they have stated this. In all the press statements I have seen for it, they have used words like "fans" and have not been gender specific. Why would they? It would cut the potential audience in half.

6 hours ago, cebelicamya said:

Thanx for clarification. I still hope she has the old hair piece and updated skirt piece. Would love to own that hair piece. 

Bellatrix is most likely not in this wave, but highly likely in a future wave :wink:

What happened to the good minifig leaking streak, nothing after Hagrid? :wacko:

7 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Bellatrix is most likely not in this wave, but highly likely in a future wave :wink:

What happened to the good minifig leaking streak, nothing after Hagrid? :wacko:

Hopefully there will be another minifigure leak in the next 12 hours