Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

28 minutes ago, makoy said:

At this point, it's very premature to even conclude that Harry Potter is a massive success, and that it warrants another series.

I think it's safe to be optimistic with regard to current sales figures--at least where I live (UK) these sets are flying off the shelves :)

That said I believe the future of the theme depends on the choice of sets in the next wave. The HP and FB films have the most beautiful sets and countless locations that could appeal to fans of other Lego themes. While the first wave had crossover appeal it seemed to mainly target Potter fans and focus on the most iconic sets in the films. If they continue to release similar sets, will people continue to buy them with unending enthusiasm?

I do hope that the next wave will include a set with major crossover appeal like Diagon Alley, and that future waves will also consider less iconic locations--my instinct tells me that something like a Hogsmeade set, or, even more far-fetched, Shell Cottage, would sell better than triwizard sets or more quidditch stuff and so make it more likely for the theme to continue.

16 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Is the series 2 CMF confirmed?

16 hours ago, Robert8 said:

No.

We know for a fact there will be 3 series next year, but we dont know which ones

5 hours ago, makoy said:

At this point, it's very premature to even conclude that Harry Potter is a massive success, and that it warrants another series.

I believe Robert was referring to the fact we know there are 3 CMF series being released next year, not 3 waves of HP sets.

5 minutes ago, RyanMe said:

I believe Robert was referring to the fact we know there are 3 CMF series being released next year, not 3 waves of HP sets.

I don't believe anyone mentioned that. Where did you read that?

4 hours ago, Nina said:

I think it's safe to be optimistic with regard to current sales figures--at least where I live (UK) these sets are flying off the shelves :)

Yes, where I live (London) the sets are insanely popular. The Great Hall and Hogwarts Express sold out at my local Lego shop in a few days (and the Hogwarts Express was out of stock online until recently). According to Lego store staff, the minifigures are the most popular they've ever had. At my Lego group on Monday night, pretty much everyone was raving about the sets and the minifigs.  All of this is anecdotal of course, but I think it's pretty safe to assume these sets have been a success.

As for this winter's sets, my guesses are:

1) Hagrid's Hut. This is a popular location, and it would fit with Aragog's Lair and the Whomping Willow in providing grounds for Hogwarts.  If we're lucky we'll get a new Buckbeak, or (if they focus on the early books) maybe Fang, Fluffy or Norbet.

2) The Chamber of Secrets.  Lego are probably still going to focus on the early books, as they don't want to rush through them.  This is *the* iconic location from Book 2. My only doubts about this are that (a) we already had a Basilisk in the Great Hall set; and (b) the Chamber would ideally go underneath the Great Hall, but it wouldn't fit there and would ruin the little dock for the boat.  I still think this set is likely though, hopefully with Lockhart and Tom Riddle minifigs.

3) The Burrow. This would be a larger set, and could have a lot of crossover appeal - maybe even as a modular. It could come with the Weasley family as minifigs.

4) Diagon Alley. We already know about the small set - available in Slovenia. Hopefully they do a larger one, but I doubt they'd release a small and large set at the same time.

5) Duelling Club.  A small set focused on play features, with Harry, Draco and a snake. This would be priced the same as the current Aragog's Lair set.

All just guesses, no inside info I'm afraid!

13 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The CMF elf was male with legs so what dress piece are you talking about? And in the movies he’s really no taller than anybody else

with different arms, the female CMF elf looks really good. But I will get enough CMF Dumbledores to make like 8 versions - including Jude Law version, flashback version and so on :laugh:
After all - in the  movies he wore like pretty much the same 2 outfits, while in the book Dumby was famous for his ridiculous robes  (including orange with flower kitting patterns :grin: )

Indeed, he wasn't bigger than Snape or the other teachers. But since he was skinny - and the CMF figure's accents (beard, hat) are quite wide, he does look tall

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

@AJB: Nice suggestions, but I highly doubt that all five sets are gonna be HP ones :wink: I except at least one or two of them to be based on CoG 

That's probably right. Although (again anecdotally) the FB sets haven't been selling as well. Newt's suitcase is good, but the Grindelwald escape one doesn't seem to interest anyone I know (I have one, but I intend to adapt the Thestral for Hogwarts rather than keep it for Grindelwald).

29 minutes ago, makoy said:

I don't believe anyone mentioned that. Where did you read that?

I think it is just common knowledge that Lego releases 3 cmf each year.  

Presumably one series will be Lego Movie 2, one would be Series 19, last one will hopefully be Harry Potter 2, but obviously that’s nothing but speculation and guesswork. 

25 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

with different arms, the female CMF elf looks really good. But I will get enough CMF Dumbledores to make like 8 versions - including Jude Law version, flashback version and so on :laugh:
After all - in the  movies he wore like pretty much the same 2 outfits, while in the book Dumby was famous for his ridiculous robes  (including orange with flower kitting patterns :grin: )

Indeed, he wasn't bigger than Snape or the other teachers. But since he was skinny - and the CMF figure's accents (beard, hat) are quite wide, he does look tall

Makes sense, I had forgotten about the female elf they released. I love making different versions of each character as well, it makes it more interesting

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 minute ago, RyanMe said:

With a few exceptions, e.g the Team GB series in 2012, the DFB series in 2016 and this year's Unikitty! series :wink: But you're right in that it's three regular series each year :classic:

If the Simpsons and TLBM deserved two series each, I think WW does too. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a second Disney series...

1 hour ago, RyanMe said:

Yes, that's common knowledge. What about the 3 waves?

1 hour ago, AJB said:

That's probably right. Although (again anecdotally) the FB sets haven't been selling as well. Newt's suitcase is good, but the Grindelwald escape one doesn't seem to interest anyone I know (I have one, but I intend to adapt the Thestral for Hogwarts rather than keep it for Grindelwald).

The carriage works as a Hogwarts carriage as well! :) It was the only reason why I was mildly interested in the set. Although, I do love vehicles that isn't another car or helicopter!

33 minutes ago, makoy said:

Yes, that's common knowledge. What about the 3 waves?

I didn't see where anyone said there would be 3 waves of HP sets.

2 hours ago, AJB said:

2) The Chamber of Secrets....the Chamber would ideally go underneath the Great Hall, but it wouldn't fit there and would ruin the little dock for the boat. 

Why would it go under the great hall? I get that it's supposed to be subterranean, but it's not accurate to the films or books for it to go there. It could just as well go under any part of the castle. It went under the Great Hall in the original 2001-2002 line but that changed the shape of the chamber to a hallway, having the two chamber walls run next to each other instead of parallel, across from each other

Edited by Ferder

1 minute ago, Ferder said:

Why would it go under the great hall? I get that it's supposed to be subterranean, but it's not accurate to the films or books for it to go there. It could just as well go under any part of the castle. It went under the Great Hall in the original 2001-2002 line but that changed the shape of the chamber to a hallway, having the two chamber walls run next to each other instead of parallel, across from each other

I agree. Ever since the designers said they were originally going to include the chamber under the Great Hall in the Great Hall set, everyone assumes if they do eventually release the chamber, it will go under the Hall. That was only if they were going to include it in that particular set. Now if they did it, it most likely wouldn’t be in that spot 

10 minutes ago, Ferder said:

If Lego wants to make a COS set they will have no trouble in doing so and making it fit with the other sets, and as you say that solution do not have to be under the GH..

I sent a mail to Lego and asked about the bricktober-set.. Apparently not the first to do it, since I got a answer full of HP references.. Basically they said they could not tell me, since that would ruin the surprise, but to keep close attention to the shop@home page since the magic happen there first. So I assume it will show up there in Norway also :excited:

3 hours ago, AJB said:

Yes, where I live (London) the sets are insanely popular. According to Lego store staff, the minifigures are the most popular they've ever had. 

I'm based in London too :) You're right, the craze for the minifigures here is amazing. In my lunch breaks I often witness hedge-fund managers and other seemingly soulless individuals as they rummage through minifigure boxes, desperately searching for Dobby or Luna... Restores my faith in humanity ;)

3 hours ago, AJB said:

As for this winter's sets, my guesses are: 1) Hagrid's Hut. 2) The Chamber of Secrets. 3) The Burrow. 4) Diagon Alley. 5) Duelling Club. 

Probably not so many sets? But the ideas sound quite likely. I expect there will be another knight bus too, as lego seems to think that no one buys sets without vehicles... 

In terms of recognising HP's potential--quite a few of the current lego designers are my generation I think, so they grew up with Potter. That makes me hopeful that they will do more than just revisit old sets and hopefully also make sets that are more whimsical. Fingers crossed! :)

1 hour ago, joeee said:

The carriage works as a Hogwarts carriage as well! :) It was the only reason why I was mildly interested in the set. 

I think the set is gorgeous, the reasons why it doesn't sell as well as other sets are probably that it's too expensive and that it features characters that no one cares about. I expect the Quidditch set and Aragog set are less popular than the rest among the Potter sets.

Generally I think Fantastic Beasts has a lot of potential. Anyone who watches the new trailer will come up with at least ten set ideas :) But of course the characters will never have the same appeal as in Potter, even though their clothes are nicer!

I think the set is gorgeous, the reasons why it doesn't sell as well as other sets are probably that it's too expensive and that it features characters that no one cares about.

I think this is the real problem. There is nothing in the Grindelwald's Escape set to appeal to a casual fan, really -- most casual LEGO buyers (parents and grandparents) would not see a carriage and a thestral as something terribly exciting, it's nothing flashy, and Piquery wasn't really a casually memorable character in the first film, and Grindelwald as himself's role there was momentary. As a dedicated fan, I find many of those elements interesting, but I know with realism that the market isn't going to buy based on any of that alone. The only perks it has are the upcoming release of the Fantastic Beasts film should give it a nice boost, and its one of the cheapest Wizarding World sets, period. Value plays a critical role with the casual, fickle buyer.

For contrast, in addition to sharing affordability versus the castle sets, the Aragog and Quidditch sets both include multiple key characters from the Harry Potter films and have the added advantage of nostalgia for those who loved any of the previous films (even if not all of them) but might not be interested in the newer Fantastic Beasts film. Those two elements alone will help them get more buys.

16 hours ago, joeee said:

The carriage works as a Hogwarts carriage as well! :)

Absolutely! I'm actually tempted to buy another copy of the set (without minifigs) so that I can have a couple of carriages on their way to Hogwarts. But for the casual, less obsessed fan, I can totally see why it's not a popular set.  Even when the next FB film comes out (which presumably contains a scene with "Grindelwald's Escape") I suspect it will still not sell. 

15 hours ago, Ferder said:

Yes, all of that is true. They can just put the Chamber set next to the Great Hall, and no-one will really have a problem with that.  This is why I suspect the Chamber will be one of the Winter sets.  My only real doubt is that the Basilisk was contained with the Great Hall set (which didn't really make any sense). 

14 hours ago, Nina said:

Probably not so many sets? But the ideas sound quite likely.

I think we're getting 5 sets. I guess 2 will be based on the new FB film, leaving 3 HP sets.  However, the Diagon Alley mini-set that was spotted in Slovenia may not count towards that total - it's microscale and might be a freebie.  So I'm hoping we get 3 other sets.  If I had to put money on it, I'd guess Hagrid's Hut (mid-size), Chamber of Secrets (large) and Duelling Club (small). I'd love the first two, and my 5 year old son would love all of them, especially the Duelling Club, so Lego would be hitting on all demographics and releasing at a variety of price points.  They can leave the Burrow to be released next year.

14 hours ago, Nina said:

I expect there will be another knight bus too, as lego seems to think that no one buys sets without vehicles... 

I'm sure they'll do another Knight Bus set.  The Hogwarts Express set creeped into Book 3 with Lupin, Sirius Black poster and Dementors, so maybe the next wave will include sets from Book 3? If so, then the Knight Bus is very likely.  Personally, I'd rather if Lego took it slow and kept the focus on Books 1-2 for the next wave, and then turned to Books 3-4 in the Summer.  If they focus on 2 books a year, that will keep the line fresh for at least a few years.

11 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

People keep saying they expect a dueling club set for 2019. Am I the only one who finds that highly unlikely?

It‘s very unlikely in my opinion.