Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, LegoHPbrickfilms said:

Any norwegians here who knows if the bricktober set will be able to get in Norway? 

I assume it will, but sent a mail to TRU and they did not now yet (at least they guy responding).. We have gotten them the last years, so hope/think we will this year as well..

Maybe you can try sending a mail also, to see if you get the same answer :wink:

27 minutes ago, Swamp said:

I think that the old Basilisk was Lego-ey enough. Same goes for that old dewback and the dinos that were released around that time. They were mostly molded but they were multiple molds each which allowed for greater poseability and could be combined with creature parts from other sets.

I agree, If we compare the over 15 year old moulded basilisk and Fawkes with the brick-built ones from this year, it is a easy win for the old timers. If they moulded them now it would be fantastic just look at the incredible Thestral :wub:

If we get them in a COS set, Fawkes will be moulded, but maybe just the basilisk head (hopefully not). They only need 3 new moulds for the basilisk, the head-part, a tail-part and a small body-part (then include several in the set), then it would be very posable and fans could make it longer by adding more parts later :grin:

7 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I agree, If we compare the over 15 year old moulded basilisk and Fawkes with the brick-built ones from this year, it is a easy win for the old timers. If they moulded them now it would be fantastic just look at the incredible Thestral :wub:

If we get them in a COS set, Fawkes will be moulded, but maybe just the basilisk head (hopefully not). They only need 3 new moulds for the basilisk, the head-part, a tail-part and a small body-part (then include several in the set), then it would be very posable and fans could make it longer by adding more parts later :grin:

I think the new Basilisk was awful because it was the wrong size, the wrong color, and completely brick built. I think if they fixed those things and used a molded head with brick built body, I think it would be great. I really like how the Occamy looks and it would be a similar style

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Personally, I like that approach. When it’s all one big mold it’s almost not legoey enough if that makes sense. It looks more realistic but doesn’t feel like Lego sometimes. I like the part brick built part molded creatures because you get the realism but you also have something to build and get to make use of cool parts in nice colors

The large dragons from Castle are a good compromise, as they are still built out of various pieces but they aren't blocky and bricky.

I think a Hagrid’s Hut and Shrieking Shack would be the only two POA sets really needed. I would love to move on to GOF after those. Unless there’s a chance of getting an actual Chamber Of Secrets and Fluffy’s trapdoor sets

Am I the only one who dislike do the old basilisk? I just felt as if it looked like it had eaten a deer or something where it’s body was swelled up in the centre and then got thinner both ends, but I also very much dislike the new one, I feel as if with a new chamber of secrets set it could be nailed on the head 

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I think a Hagrid’s Hut and Shrieking Shack would be the only two POA sets really needed. I would love to move on to GOF after those. Unless there’s a chance of getting an actual Chamber Of Secrets and Fluffy’s trapdoor sets

The Knight Bus! Plus potentially more of Hogwarts like the clock tower. 

1 hour ago, Legoniche said:

Am I the only one who dislike do the old basilisk? I just felt as if it looked like it had eaten a deer or something where it’s body was swelled up in the centre and then got thinner both ends, but I also very much dislike the new one, I feel as if with a new chamber of secrets set it could be nailed on the head 

It was fine at the time but looks very dated now. 

I just don't think serpent creatures work very will in Lego unless they're almost completely molded. The separations between segments that they've been employing (the new tiny basilisk and the Occamy) just don't look very good as they're not smooth and connected like a real snake. So hopefully if Lego makes a bigger, better basilisk it's either largely molded or they use some new techniques to make the connections for its body look better. 

I liked the old Basilisk as a LEGO creature and as a representation of a big snake, but it wasn't very effective at looking like the Basilisk depicted in the film. It had the same building style as most of the big creatures from that period like the dinos, elephants, a couple of Star Wars big animals, etc. and I liked it for that reason. Then again nothing about the Harry Potter sets from that era was very accurate to the films.

Even being innaccurate, it was still worlds better than the new Basilisk in the Great Hall set.

50 minutes ago, Ultron said:

I just don't think serpent creatures work very will in Lego unless they're almost completely molded. The separations between segments that they've been employing (the new tiny basilisk and the Occamy) just don't look very good as they're not smooth and connected like a real snake. So hopefully if Lego makes a bigger, better basilisk it's either largely molded or they use some new techniques to make the connections for its body look better. 

Completely disagree, the Occamy looks great.

Basilisk - completely brickbuilt can work - but a moulded head would be cool.

Hungarian Horntail/ Ukrainian Ironbelly - moulded head/wings, rest brickbuilt.

Buckbeak - moulded

Fluffly - moulted head(s), brickbuilt body.

thats how I think it should be for these creatures in Lego. I’d happily take a mostly brickbuilt dragon like the new Ninjago sets, over something like Smaug any day, just looks so much more interesting (although I much prefer moulded dinosaurs to brickbuilt ones, so take that as you will....)

Regarding the Harry Potter Bricktober pack in the USA -

I've reached out to a few Barnes and Nobles in the Greater Chicago Area and managers don't seem to know about it. I'm wondering if the set will be released towards the end of Bricktober rather than the beginning.

Hope this information helps.

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

I’d happily take a mostly brickbuilt dragon like the new Ninjago sets, over something like Smaug any day, just looks so much more interesting (although I much prefer moulded dinosaurs to brickbuilt ones, so take that as you will....)

I'm not really sure how to reconcile these statements.  The Castle dragons and Smaug are very nicely done.  I actually find them to be superior to the molded dinosaurs when it comes to movement, and on par when it comes to visual appeal.  Brick-built creatures always look more blocky.

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

Completely disagree, the Occamy looks great  

The occamy is much too thin and rectangular. It needs more definition and a more rounded body. It’s hardly serpentine. 

I know it’s somewhat “taboo” to speak of here, but I own a few of the mega construx pokemon and some of them are serpentine in shape and those designers just do that better. Thicker builds for the bodies and they’re rounded. Let’s hope a basilisk, if they decide to brick build is more like that

One of the things I would like to see the most out of this theme are the creatures. Whether they’re brick built, molded, or both, I would love to see more awesome new versions of each one. I’m kind of in doubt that we’ll get a troll or Fluffy at this point. But hopefully we get a new Buckbeak, Horntail, Ironbelly, and a better basilisk. I also wouldn’t say no to Grindylows, merpeople, cornish pixies, and centaurs

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

I'm not really sure how to reconcile these statements.  The Castle dragons and Smaug are very nicely done.  I actually find them to be superior to the molded dinosaurs when it comes to movement, and on par when it comes to visual appeal.  Brick-built creatures always look more blocky.

I assume by Castle dragons you mean the newer multi-part ones first appearing in Fantasy Era castle.  I agree those are by far my favorite Lego dragons.  I have intentionally bought two of every set that comes with one just to have a pair of each color/type.  Smaug on the other hand I think is one of the worst proportioned lumps of plastic Lego has ever produced.  (I blame Peter Jackson changing the movie design literally after the first trailer was released.) I liken Smaug to the current brick built Basilisk, its just wrong and looks nothing like it should.

I really hope any potential Horntail or Ironbelly would be in the Castle style. (Heck I would be perfectly happy with just recolors of the exact Castle dragons.)  Failing that I would prefer the Elves style of molded heads and wings with nicely proportioned brick built bodies.  The Queen Dragon from 41179 is as large, imposing, and nicely shaped as Smaug wished it was. (This despite the cheap junk plastic sheets used for wings, which at least still look good shape wise.)  I really dislike the bars for wings most of the Ninjago dragons use so I definitely don't want that either.

My biggest wish as far as potential new molded creatures go is an updated Fluffy the three headed dog.

Sorry for the huge pictures, didn't manage to resize them. If this has already been posted somewhere feel free to remove it. Those few pages are from the Harry Potter Characters books. Since it released yesterday I allowed myself to post them here.

The book contains all characters, all in their official 2018 version, (including the upcoming Bricktober Slughorn) but it also features what seems to be Tonks and Kingsley's final designs.

40253637_2043435739301775_28118600529802No automatic alt text available.40212293_2043435859301763_61799197365921

Edited by Geertos13

4 minutes ago, Geertos13 said:

Sorry for the huge pictures, didn't manage to resize them, but has this already been posted somewhere (if so feel free to remove it) but those few pages are from the Harry Potter Characters books. Since it released yesterday I allowed myself to post them here. The book contains all characters, most using the official minifigures (aka the upcoming Bricktober Slughorn) but then what seems to be Tonks and Kingsley final designs also appear in it.

That's a very interesting catch.  Hopefully these are a hint at what's to come next year, and not just minifigure designs made up for the book, though I suppose only time will tell at this point.

I own Smaug, and to hold him as a molded dragon is fantastic plus he’s really big, Ive never owned a brickbuilt dragon but they look good, at this point, I have no preference, and that nymphadora looks great, perhaps the hair could have been different, kingsley looks a bit plain I would have loved to have seen his hat

Relating back to what I said on page 307; I do think getting another area of Hogwarts will happen in the next wave. People asking for thousands of sets dotted around the HP universe right now need to narrow their horizons down because it seems to me their main focus is making a HUGE Hogwarts set. For me, that means a Clock tower is one of the more realistic sets for the future along with maybe another area. The two sections of hogwarts have connectable pieces to add more - also they're bringing out SO MANY minifigures but there's not enough hogwarts to house them all right now. So I think more hogwarts in the next wave is more likely over Diagon Alley, Shrieking Shack, Hagrid's hut and so on.

I also think a Chamber of Secrets set could be on the horizon to attach onto hogwarts.

Edited by LegoAndDisney

54 minutes ago, Geertos13 said:

The book contains all characters, all in their official 2018 version, (including the upcoming Bricktober Slughorn) but it also features what seems to be Tonks and Kingsley's final designs.

Doesn’t the book include pages for mini figures in the CMF line? If so, then maybe these two were on the shortlist for that and ultimately got bumped off. Or maybe they’re going to be part of another promotional type set like the Bricktober pack.

I really would want to get these characters, but given the rumoured wave to movie pattern it seems odd to release a year 5 set before seeing sets from years 3 and 4 (excluding the Express). But as we’ve seen, minifigures from both the cmf and bricktober pack follow no movie order so maybe they’ll come from there.

I would love if they did a chamber of secrets but as an open play set, whilst it would be awesome if it connected underneath the great hall, I don’t think that will happen, because the great hall has a little dock thing coming out of it, that would just be hanging there, also the whomping willow set connects to the great hall, that would have to just be much lower and not connect at all, and if you did have a set connecting underneath the whomping willow, there is still that little arch which the ford Anglia drives through, the archway wouldn’t work, Ive been thinking about it lots, if there was a chamber of secrets set under the great hall, you could have a devil snare room, chess room and chamber of the winged keys underneath the whomping willow set, however the existence of that arch would make it look awkward, so I think the chamber of secrets has to be an open play set rather than a connecting set, which I’m fine with but it would be nice if it connected somehow

3 minutes ago, GilbertoAguilera101 said:

Doesn’t the book include pages for mini figures in the CMF line? If so, then maybe these two were on the shortlist for that and ultimately got bumped off. Or maybe they’re going to be part of another promotional type set like the Bricktober pack.

I really would want to get these characters, but given the rumoured wave to movie pattern it seems odd to release a year 5 set before seeing sets from years 3 and 4 (excluding the Express). But as we’ve seen, minifigures from both the cmf and bricktober pack follow no movie order so maybe they’ll come from there.

As well I can’t see them coming in any set, I’m not sure what they would come in unless you really reached for a set, so perhaps there is a non set way of obtaining them at some point 

2 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Tonks seems to have a new hairpiece, right?

Looks like the one Hermione uses in the CMF.

3 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Tonks seems to have a new hairpiece, right?

Nope, it’s a new colour but not a new mould, it’s the one used on Sharon Carter and CMF Hermione

Edited by The Dangerous HC