Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

They only thing I think this set is really missing is the Astronomy Tower. It’s a very prominent and important part of the castle. And from the perspective this set is build at, an Astronomy tower built on a 16x16 baseplate would look perfect placed behind the east wing. I might have a go and making one myself.

The only other reason I think a second set is possible is because we’re missing some microfigures. Why include Hagrid’s hut and the Mirror of Erised if there isn’t a Hagrid or Quirrell microfigure? We also have a Chamber of Secrets but no Lockhart or Tom Riddle. It would’ve made a lot more sense to make Hagrid and Quirrell over someone like Bellatrix.

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

4 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

The only other reason I think a second set is possible is because we’re missing some microfigures. Why include Hagrid’s hut and the Mirror of Erised if there isn’t a Hagrid or Quirrell microfigure? We also have a Chamber of Secrets but no Lockhart or Tom Riddle. It would’ve made a lot more sense to make Hagrid and Quirrell over someone like Bellatrix.

Hagrid would have needed a new mold, Riddle and Quirrell would just variations of a character already in the set.

22 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Hagrid would have needed a new mold, Riddle and Quirrell would just variations of a character already in the set.

Hagrid could have used the Lego games figures.

also, had an idea, Gwarp could have been a regular minifig in this set

Edited by Whovastron

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

It is definitely a large portion of the castle still to build, and if the set sell like crazy they may make it, but some reasons why not:

1. it has to stand on its own, quite hard since this has the most famous parts like GH
  2. It would be a part two, so fans need to buy a huge 6000 set and then a second maybe big 4000 set to get a complete set
  3. if they retire the first set, people would be mad if they buy the second and then want the first, but it is unavailable
  4. the designers say this is the ultimate model

On the other hand, it would be bad for sales if they say a new 4000 set is coming and they may want to see how this is doing, but it is not impossible that the designers is already making the second part, but would not count on it :shrug_confused:

I would also add

5. The set is open-back so adding the rest of the castle to the rear would restrict access to the interior.

Looking forward to seeing how the fans do their own mods to complete the castle themselves. 

At this point, I think the simplest explanation for Ollivander is that there will be a winter wave. Unless he will be a GWP polybag around Christmas, but normally we would see evidence of that by now if that were the case. My guess is there will be a few Crimes Of Grindelwald sets with one or two Harry Potter sets to accompany them. I doubt it will be as big a wave as this first one, probably some smaller sets. 

48 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

At this point, I think the simplest explanation for Ollivander is that there will be a winter wave. Unless he will be a GWP polybag around Christmas, but normally we would see evidence of that by now if that were the case. My guess is there will be a few Crimes Of Grindelwald sets with one or two Harry Potter sets to accompany them. I doubt it will be as big a wave as this first one, probably some smaller sets. 

I highly doubt ollivander is from a winter wave due to when his figure leaked. Like figures for the winter wave should be coming around late September/ October. Also while granted I think there very well could be more crimes of grindlewald stuff in the future, given how well these Harry Potter sets seem to be going, I doubt they would focus more on fantasic beasts than Harry Potter

It seems Ollivander comes in a book

That's what I read on Instagram

Edited by Robert8

I'm sure there's a talented MOC'er out there will make an "expansion" set of instructions using parts from existing Lego sets such as Tower Bridge, Big Ben, or even another HC. It's only a matter of time!

10 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

They could’ve just done Hagrid as a regular nanofigure. It would’ve been better than not including him at all. Quirrell wasn’t just a “variation” of Voldemort, he was a character on his own, and it’s weird to have the challenges leading up to the showdown but no way to actually have a showdown. 

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It seems Ollivander comes in a book

That's what I read on Instagram

That’s what people assume, but no one knows for sure. It’s really an odd mystery. It’s definitely not fake though

Just curious, what are your guys' opinion of the stickers in the UCS set? Not stickers in general or how many there are. I just find them to be pretty awfully done. The graphic designer who did them is a huge Harry Potter fan too.

Compare this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/f6/fd/32f6fd33674e17b7cc000625c6812513.jpg

To this:
https://i0.wp.com/www.brothers-brick.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/LEGO-Harry-Potter-71043-Hogwarts-Castle-97.jpg?fit=640%2C640&ssl=1

Why in the world are the frames slanted? Her designs feel rushed and not thought out. It just seems like she drew everything using the square tool or the rounded square tool.

For such a BEAUTIFUL front AND back...I wish they had partnered Justin with someone who could have done a better job.

6 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

but no one knows for sure

Plenty of people know, just not anybody spilling their guts here :tongue: The only way I can see him being in next years wave is that he was in this years wave, but for some reason was postponed in the last minute.. Say he was one of the bricktober figs or similar, that might had happen.. Other than that he is probably in a polybag, GWP, book etc this year..

1 hour ago, joeee said:

Just curious, what are your guys' opinion of the stickers in the UCS set?

I do not like them in general, but do not mind these more than usual.. Moaning Myrtle is rather funny being a nanofig.. Probably slanted them to make them more lively :shrug_oh_well:

On 8/17/2018 at 10:39 AM, Roebuck said:

It is definitely a large portion of the castle still to build, and if the set sell like crazy they may make it, but some reasons why not:

1. it has to stand on its own, quite hard since this has the most famous parts like GH
  2. It would be a part two, so fans need to buy a huge 6000 set and then a second maybe big 4000 set to get a complete set
  3. if they retire the first set, people would be mad if they buy the second and then want the first, but it is unavailable
  4. the designers say this is the ultimate model

On the other hand, it would be bad for sales if they say a new 4000 set is coming and they may want to see how this is doing, but it is not impossible that the designers is already making the second part, but would not count on it :shrug_confused:

I see your points, here are some potential counter points;

1. By including key aspects from the later films and some missing aspects then it could have some individual appeal. Most notably the Astronomy Tower given a large amount of focus in the sixth film, a room for 'Fluffy' or the 'Troll' from the first movie, the owlery, quidditch pitch, etc... I think it could sell on it's own.
2. While admittedly it would be a 'part 2' i feel the lower price to piece ratio would help convince fans to purchase them, plus the value of the set will only increase around the time of the later Fantastic Beasts films which are intended to focus a little more on Dumbledore, Hogwarts and Grindlewald. 
3. I expect they will do something similar to the Death Star, where the Hogwarts Castle set is retired and re-released with a small amount of changes.
4. I think they've used that descriptor in the past for other sets only to update them later on

Just feel this set has potential for later expansion and i would not be too surprised if they have plans for it :shrug_confused:

17 hours ago, Ferder said:

5. The set is open-back so adding the rest of the castle to the rear would restrict access to the interior.

Looking forward to seeing how the fans do their own mods to complete the castle themselves. 

5. Feel this could be solved via having a joint or having a clip system similar to how the current castle can seperate into two segments. Alternatively they could ignore the section behind and just extended the set on the site

Will definitely be trying a mod - will keep people updated :P

Wow, that's rather harsh criticism... I for one really appreciate the sticker designs, especially the Moaning Myrtle, the mermaid, the flying keys and the various LEGO items and utensils in the room of requirements :thumbup: The slanted frames are most likely a stilistic decision which I don't mind at all :wink:

I usually never have a problem with stickers, even like them; but they are overdone here. There’s so many that just aren’t needed. There’s about 8 random 1x2 brick stickers that are mostly put in places you can’t even see them. And things like Moaning Myrtle just look odd.

For me the issues with the stickers, other than the abundance, is that they do not have a consistent style nor scale along with portraying a much more 'cartoon' appearance. The detail level also varies and some aspects seem like an odd choice to be a sticker instead of printing.

Stickers looks ok to me. They went with a style that fits LEGO Harry Potter IMO, and should you wish to they can just be left out.

As for a Hogwart's Castle extension it is just not going to happen, the reasons listed by Roebuck are spot on.

Someone is bound to have their go at building the rest though, and it shouldn't be too difficult either continuing with the same techniques that are in the set.

Just in case I missed it, has there been any more info on the Bricktober pack at all?

I will reserve judgement on the stickers until I see them, but if they are all interior, I may leave them off.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone noticed that in the video of the D2C appears in the back at 4:30 a D2C Diagon Alley, where it is blurry the purple Weasley twins store with orange windows and some more buildings?

Edit; And Gringotts bank on the left!! So there is from Left to the right --> Gringotts, Ollivander's, a Green small shop, a Red small shop and The Weasley's shop

44109305581_2764a5e30c_z.jpgDiagon Alley D2C by Etel Enzos, en Flickr

Edited by ETELENZOS92

Woah, good spotting! The tradition of LEGO spoiling future releases in the D2C videos continues :laugh:

However I wouldn't take this as confirmation of anything just yet. The designers make sketch models all the time for sets that never see the light of day.

1 hour ago, ETELENZOS92 said:

Hey Guys,

Has anyone noticed that in the video of the D2C appears in the back at 4:30 a D2C Diagon Alley, where it is blurry the purple Weasley twins store with orange windows and some more buildings?

Edit; And Gringotts bank on the left!! So there is from Left to the right --> Gringotts, Ollivander's, a Green small shop, a Red small shop and The Weasley's shop

<SNIP>

Nice pickup! It does look like a microscale Diagon Alley. The designer is a massive HP fan so it’s probably one of his MOCs. I’m sure the choice of background was very deliberate though and it’s interesting that it’s in a part of the video that he talks about “fans enjoying finding all the Easter eggs”. It wouldn’t be the first time they have put an Easter Egg for an unreleased set in a designer video. 

Edited by Clone OPatra
Please don't quote whole posts with pictures.

Looks more system scale than microscale. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the set Ollivander is from. Perhaps it’s coming near December, which let’s not forget, leakers were certain was the release date for Hogwarts

2 hours ago, ETELENZOS92 said:

-snip-

Eagle eyes :sweet:

If it turns out to be a set, please make it system scale Lego :grin: I have come to terms with the D2C Hogwarts being micro-scale, but everything else from HP/FB is hopefully system-scale :sceptic:

That's an amazing find, really praying that it is indeed system scale. I don't want microscale to become the norm.