Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

3 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Yeah, you’ve said the same thing twice to me, but I said that in my original post. I just didn’t say specifically about it being a trilogy because you never know they may make more in the future. I never said it was evergreen, I just said it’s something that will be around for the films. 

My bad, didn't look back at the original post when I was typing that. It's currently planned as a trilogy, that's why I said that. I guess we're in agreement, no? 

5 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

My bad, didn't look back at the original post when I was typing that. It's currently planned as a trilogy, that's why I said that. I guess we're in agreement, no? 

Fair enough, I guess we are :sweet:

almost finished on Hogwarts. Anyone who said price to part ratio doesn’t count on this set as it’s just small pieces is just talking insanity. There’s a great mix of small and large parts, just as much of each other. The set is also huge, it is well worth the money!

Edited by Whovastron

6 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

almost finished on Hogwarts.

How long was the build, more or less?

Edited by Terrasher

16 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

How long was the build, more or less?

Well I’ve been building it with my girlfriend. Built a half of the castle each. Currently at /just under 8 hours. However she is a much less experienced builder than me. So it’s likely 9-10 hr build at a steady pace. If I’d been building it all myself I’d estimate under 8 hours, as I’ve had to take a few breaks to let her catch up, but we’ve kept the timer going.

but then again I built the falcon in just over 12 hours, and people didn’t believe me at the time, maybe I have a super power :laugh_hard: 

6 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

but then again I built the falcon in just over 12 hours, and people didn’t believe me at the time, maybe I have a super power :laugh_hard: 

You actually might. If I remember correctly, most people were saying that the Falcon was a ~20h build. :tongue:

Any other people who are pretty much done with the castle, how long did it take to build?

There’s so many more details in the castle that I didn’t notice before, like the House cup points counters.

word of warning - almost 70 stickers, could give Ninjago City a run for its money. Whilst usually I have no problem with stickers, they’re a pain but they add to sets and I’ll be honest I kinda like the look of a sticker sometimes, if everything was suddenly prints I’d miss them. I think having the option too. However in regards to this set, there is a lot of overkill. Especially in The a Great Hall, there’s some brick detail and lattice shape stickers that really aren’t necessary, they add a little bit would not be missed. I also think things like Moaming myrtle is a bit of overkill, and the room of requirement stickers, that one just looks strange.

the minibuilds of Hagrids Hut and the Whomping Willow are just great, the Willow somehow looks better than it’s system scale counterpart, it’s  just a shame it’s not easy to lose with the castle. Looking forward to building the Horntail tomorrow.

the interior for the rooms are great in terms of simple attention to detail, the great hall looks grand and the stained glass technique is perfect. All the small room details like the vanishing cabinet, the gramophone, the mirror of Erised - all fabulous. And the build techniques throughout are simple yet work very well. I think people will be surprised how much of this set is comprised of 1x1s, because it’s definately nowhere near what people were suggesting, maybe a quarter or third of the build. There’s a good use of Cones and cylinders, and a good about of BURPS that are cleverly integrated without repetition.

the build process is very ingenious too. You don’t do all the small builds first, or last, they’re evenly spread out. You start out with the boats and minifigure stand, but then it’s another 10 bags or so until the next mini-build. The Minifigures are well spread out too. The build can be repetitive, especially in the left half of the castle, but I think the process that’s good breaks in between building up the walls of the great hall; it could mostly be done at once, but it takes you to other parts to have a short break, which I very much appreciate in a set with such a long build time.

The structure is very, very sturdy. Compared to the set the next size up (falcon) it’s will be no issue to move the thing. It nearly separates into two halves, not fully connecting, but using the same method as the ‘66 Batcave. And although I wouldn’t recommend it, you can easily hold a half in one hand, it’s that structurally sound, will benefit transport of the thing.

Didnt intend to write that much, but it’s such a great set that there’s just so much to mentioned, and there’s still a quarter of the build to go!

oh, and this blows the system scale Hogwarts out of the water (or lake). The system scale one is great, and it’s awesome to pose figures around, but this is the display piece you want of Hogwarts, the thing is bigger, more detailed, screen accurate and just a wonder to behold.

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

Well I’ve been building it with my girlfriend. Built a half of the castle each. Currently at /just under 8 hours. However she is a much less experienced builder than me. So it’s likely 9-10 hr build at a steady pace. If I’d been building it all myself I’d estimate under 8 hours, as I’ve had to take a few breaks to let her catch up, but we’ve kept the timer going.

Yeah, that’s pretty fast. I just finished bag 8 and I’m 3.5 hours in, although I build pretty leisurely and watch TV at the same time.

Kiwi Lego fans! Anyone wants to split purchases with me on Toyworld's latest 'Buy One Get One Half Price' deal? 

Can someone with the Hogwarts Castle set please take pics of the inventory portion of the manual? I would love to know what pieces to expect before committing.

48 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

Can someone with the Hogwarts Castle set please take pics of the inventory portion of the manual? I would love to know what pieces to expect before committing.

Sorry, I don't have it at hand. But I can tell you that you're in for a lot of cheese slopes. 

The build is interesting, with some nice references in it. It takes a long time, though.

It would if be cool if the Grindelwald brickhead can transform into Percival Graves

Edited by Robert8

2 hours ago, NatLego117 said:

Anyone from the U.K. order Hogwarts Castle online? When do you think it will ship? 

Either later today or early tomorrow morning, but can't see them arriving before the start of next week though, Monday/Tuesday most likely 

Can someone with the Hogwards Castle take a picture with normal minifigs in the castle like in the bridge as an example please?

9 hours ago, NatLego117 said:

Anyone from the U.K. order Hogwarts Castle online? When do you think it will ship? 

Mine has just shipped tonight 

It is very interesting that Lego would release a D2C depicting the Great Hall and Grand Tower at the same time as the system scale set. The great hall is pretty much the same size. I’ve literally had to remove my whole HP display to fit the D2C, no idea where to put the system Hogwarts sets though, will look weird being so close to the much more accurate version 

I’m beginning work on the far right side of the castle (library building) and I absolutely love this set. It’s been a joy to build although all the little fiddly parts have made my index finger hurt quite a bit. The design is just so beautiful and I cannot wait to put it on display! I really hope that if this set sells well we’ll get another D2C depicting the other half of the castle but I sadly don’t think that will happen. 

On 8/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, Terrasher said:

You actually might. If I remember correctly, most people were saying that the Falcon was a ~20h build. :tongue:

Any other people who are pretty much done with the castle, how long did it take to build?

For the Falcon it took me about the same time, so really it isn't that surprising that it took him 12 hours to do so. I just purchased the set online too. How are the faces of the micro-figures? 

3 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I really hope that if this set sells well we’ll get another D2C depicting the other half of the castle but I sadly don’t think that will happen. 

If you look at the interview I posted further up, they think of this as the ultimate version, so not very likely.. I for one is happy about that, I will buy this D2C for they way it looks and the excellent reviews it got, but I really hope the next D2C from the WW will be system scale set :classic:

4 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I really hope that if this set sells well we’ll get another D2C depicting the other half of the castle but I sadly don’t think that will happen. 

Considering this version took about 2.5 years of development from the initial idea until release, and the fact it was in production back when the Saturn V was being designed and developed, I wouldn't expect them to then release another similar sized D2C set. Plus the designers have been quite clear in the way they've worded this as being an "ultimate version". They certainly aren't acting like they might need to expand upon it. 

20 hours ago, Roebuck said:

-snip-

I really badly want this designer to work on a second half for the Hogwarts set. The exterior of the set is spectacular and cannot fault the design. As you can see by the images below, we have a lot of potential for a second set to be made featuring aspects such as the Owlery, Greenhouses, Quidditch training grounds - along with rooms such as where Fluffy was guarding the trapdoor, where the Troll entered Hogwarts, the Slitherin Common Room from the second movie, etc...

I will definitely be working on an LDD expansion and potentially an IRL modification.
article-2109071-11FC87B3000005DC-927_964
article-2109071-11FC8982000005DC-208_964

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I really hope the next D2C from the WW will be system scale set :classic:

A D2C system scale Diagon Alley would be great. Ideally an updated version of '10217 Diagon Alley' which originally had 2025 pieces. Double the piece count and having three buildings similar to '10255 Assembly Square' which had 4002 pieces. Include the the option to seperate them and re-organise them and fans would easily buy it. Picture '10255 Assembly Square' but with Ollivanders on the left, Gringotts in the middle and Weasley Wizard Wheezes on the right :)

1 hour ago, nikhkin said:

Considering this version took about 2.5 years of development from the initial idea until release, and the fact it was in production back when the Saturn V was being designed and developed, I wouldn't expect them to then release another similar sized D2C set. Plus the designers have been quite clear in the way they've worded this as being an "ultimate version". They certainly aren't acting like they might need to expand upon it. 

It's not a set that desperately needs an expansion - but with that said, it has the potential to. They left out certain elements which most fans find iconic such as 'Troll in the Girls Bathroom/Dungeon', 'Fluffy guarding the Trap Door', Slitherin Common Room and the Greenhouses - all elements primarily featured in the first two movies - let alone additional aspects such as the Astronomy Tower or a microscale Hogwarts Station & Hogwarts Express. All these aspects make sense not to be included at the moment, but all would entice people to buy a second set should one end up being made.

The Fantastic Beasts films also are going to be around for five films, the third of which is in 2020. In theory they could make the fourth and fifth films back-to-back and release in 2022 and 2023. In essence they could release a second segment to the Hogwarts castle in 2022 and it would still be relevant.

Edited by Scarilian

16 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

-snip-

It is definitely a large portion of the castle still to build, and if the set sell like crazy they may make it, but some reasons why not:

1. it has to stand on its own, quite hard since this has the most famous parts like GH
  2. It would be a part two, so fans need to buy a huge 6000 set and then a second maybe big 4000 set to get a complete set
  3. if they retire the first set, people would be mad if they buy the second and then want the first, but it is unavailable
  4. the designers say this is the ultimate model

On the other hand, it would be bad for sales if they say a new 4000 set is coming and they may want to see how this is doing, but it is not impossible that the designers is already making the second part, but would not count on it :shrug_confused: