Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

I pre-ordered mine on Minifiguremaddness (around 200€ for a full box), which is based in Ireland I think. Swiss retailer Galaxus used to sell whole boxes, but they weren't advertised as such, you simply got a full box if you ordered 60 :wink: Once I ordered 30 Ninjago movie minifigs and got a full box for some reason, what a glorious day that was :head_back: Unfortunately, they don't ship outside of Switzerland and Liechtenstein as far as I know...

I’m hoping they do two waves of Wizarding World sets a year for at least three years. I hope it goes longer but we’ll see. I really hope it’s  not only one wave a year

On 8/9/2018 at 10:19 AM, RODDY said:

So do we think we are getting a January Wave or waiting till Summer? Because if it's for Summer we got ways to go. I don't remember the names leaking till December of last yesr and the descriptions were BS. And we didn't anything about the Hogwarts Express till the press release. As for Quidditch Lesson, maybe a battlepack? I wouldn't put any faith in leaks just quite yet. Lego is wisely putting their cards to its chest. 

On 8/9/2018 at 4:11 PM, LegoSims20 said:

PLEASE BE WINTER

Best Case scenario would seems to be a mini-wave in Jan and a normal in Spring. I can't imagine a full scale wave similar to what just hit this quickly. maybe a few sets in the winter and then a full run in the spring 

On 8/10/2018 at 5:39 PM, BrickJagger said:

Some people think every theme is going to be an evergreen. I'm actually beginning to get sick of that term :grin:

HP will probably sell well, and I think it will end up like POTC: Another wave of sets based on the original films, and then a couple sets each time a new FB movie comes out. HP has a habit of popping in and out:

Active from 2001-2005

Discontinued in 2006

Brought back for one set in 2007

Discontinued from 2008-2009

Active from 2010-2011

Discontinued from 2012-2017

Active from 2018-?

I think that pattern will continue. It's more popular than LOTR, so it will keep coming back. It is not as popular as Star Wars, so it won't be around every year. 

The difference this time around is that Lego can prey on nostalgia.This is the 20th anniversary of HPs original release as well as the 20th anniversary of the in story climax between Harry and Voldy 

AS WELL AS 

A movie year for the 2nd installment in the FB franchise...

As long as sales remain robust, there is little doubt well get 2 more full waves (years 4/5 and 6/7) and I'd wager at least Wave 2 of the CMFs are already done and packaged. 

16 minutes ago, Omega 8 said:

The difference this time around is that Lego can prey on nostalgia.This is the 20th anniversary of HPs original release as well as the 20th anniversary of the in story climax between Harry and Voldy 

AS WELL AS 

A movie year for the 2nd installment in the FB franchise...

As long as sales remain robust, there is little doubt well get 2 more full waves (years 4/5 and 6/7) and I'd wager at least Wave 2 of the CMFs are already done and packaged. 

I agree. Either two small waves for 4/5 and 6/7 or one large wave for all four movies is a given, as well as a second CMF series. It gets a little dubious beyond that point though, although as I said I expect three or four sets for the last three FB movies each time one comes out.

54 minutes ago, Omega 8 said:

years 4/5 and 6/7

36 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

4/5 and 6/7

You guys seems to forget year 3 :wacko:

3 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Well the CMFseries has some Year 3 figs, so I did kinda gloss over it. Not to mean that I don't want POA sets, some new ones would be fantastic. 

19 minutes ago, Omega 8 said:

As long as sales remain robust, there is little doubt well get 2 more full waves (years 4/5 and 6/7)

My thoughts exactly. Same thing happened with LotR, PotC and IJ - along with the sets from the new installment in the franchise, they covered some of othe most iconic scenes from previous movies. It seems Lego is doing the same now and two, maybe three waves are being planned to cover the most important stuff.

The only difference now is that there will be still more FB movies, and, very likely, sets based on them. There is a chance they will produce more HP sets alongside the FB ones - maybe not full waves, but 2-3 additional sets depicting scenes that weren't done before.

I was really hoping for a new Fluffy and troll, but realistically we probably won’t see anymore sets from SS or COS (hopefully we’ll get Lockhart in either an unlikely Chamber Of Secrets set or CMF). I’m sure we’ll get one or two more sets from POA, really hoping for Sirius, Wormtail (although any version of him would be about the same), werewolf Lupin, and Buckbeak. There will surely be a First Task set from GOF, and hopefully Second and Third tasks, and I also wouldn’t mind the Durmstrang Ship and Beauxbatons Carriage but that might be a stretch. And then I’m sure we’ll get a couple from OOTP hopefully with Umbridge, Lucius, Fudge, and Grawp. We’ll see a couple from HBP and then probably several from DH

I fully expect lego to revisit the chamber as it hasn’t been touched since the yellow fig era. It’s not only an iconic part of the COS movie but also is revisited later with purpose.  No way Lego passes an opportunity to do it.  I bet they couldn’t fit the proper molds into the budget and thus it was passed.

1 hour ago, KevinMD said:

I fully expect lego to revisit the chamber as it hasn’t been touched since the yellow fig era. It’s not only an iconic part of the COS movie but also is revisited later with purpose.  No way Lego passes an opportunity to do it.  I bet they couldn’t fit the proper molds into the budget and thus it was passed.

I feel like they must be planning a Chamber set. We’re missing Ginny, Lockhart, Tom Riddle, and Moaning Myrtle while they’ve given us other characters that aren’t as important as them. They must have been excluded for a reason and I’m assuming that reason is that all those figures will appear in a Chamber of Secrets set along with Harry and maybe Ron. We even got Myrtle as a nanofigure sticker so Lego must have plans for her otherwise why would they tease us like that? 

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

We already have year 3, Express & Willow are both from that year. Albeit the kids are too short I think...but that was likely due to wanting the debut the legs in the CMF’s.

43 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

We already have year 3, Express & Willow are both from that year. Albeit the kids are too short I think...but that was likely due to wanting the debut the legs in the CMF’s.

Well to be fair, the Willow is depicting a scene from COS but the Train is certainly POA. w/Lupin and the Dementor. 

There are several POA sets that could be made; Knight Bus, DADA Classroom as described above, the Shack, Hogsmeade, Buckbeak, Sirius, WW Lupin, Theres still a lot that can be done although they have certainly gotten some of it covered. 

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I feel like they must be planning a Chamber set. We’re missing Ginny, Lockhart, Tom Riddle, and Moaning Myrtle while they’ve given us other characters that aren’t as important as them. They must have been excluded for a reason and I’m assuming that reason is that all those figures will appear in a Chamber of Secrets set along with Harry and maybe Ron. We even got Myrtle as a nanofigure sticker so Lego must have plans for her otherwise why would they tease us like that? 

The original proposal was to have a Chamber of Secrets under the Great Hall...but cut due to budget. LEGO can still create a Chamber of Secrets set and flatten the top so the Great Hall can sit on top (just as they did with the 2001-2002 sets!) PLUS, they could have a rock formation on the other side of the Chamber walls and it could represent the cliff Hogwarts castle stands on. (They did this with the 71043 set)

1 hour ago, joeee said:

The original proposal was to have a Chamber of Secrets under the Great Hall...but cut due to budget. LEGO can still create a Chamber of Secrets set and flatten the top so the Great Hall can sit on top (just as they did with the 2001-2002 sets!) PLUS, they could have a rock formation on the other side of the Chamber walls and it could represent the cliff Hogwarts castle stands on. (They did this with the 71043 set)

That sounds great! Hope they will do that!

To those who pre-ordered the CMF series on minifiguremaddness: the orders are on their way or have already arrived, depending on where you live :grin_wub: I was surprised to see mine in the letter box today :drool: Can't wait to open them!

Edited by Lego-Freak

Can't believe we know nothing about Ollivander yet :wacko:

Edited by Robert8

On 8/13/2018 at 8:19 AM, BrickJagger said:

Do you think children are going to want several Ministry of Magic sets that are essentially large gray buildings? I don't. :laugh:

I also can't see three more CMF series happening, maybe one or two. By the third one you'd be into obscurity once again.

Regarding LOTR, a surprising amount of children seemed to be into the Hobbit movies when they came out. I think it's a fair comparison, albeit a bit rough. Nonetheless, my earlier post was less about LOTR and more about not getting overconfident. 

Really? I'm honestly surprised by that as The Hobbit was a big part of the reason why the line came to a premature end. The first wave of LOTR sets sold relatively well but the Hobbit sets were clogging up the shelves to the point where major retailers like Target had to discount them at 50% off just to get rid of them - something which never happens here in Australia. The third wave of Hobbit sets also had a VERY limited run here because most retailers weren't willing to carry them. Only a few select ones like Toyworld and Myer got a single shipment of sets and that was it.

The second wave of LOTR sets didn't help the line either with questionable set choices and fan favorite characters being sidelined in favor of less desirable ones.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:24 AM, Praetorian_Guard said:

Haha :laugh:

But give me one reason why Europeans get the sets one month later than UK and US and have to wait another two months till we can buy them cheaper in other toy-stores.

I think you're a bit confused. They came out a month early in the US only. Which was due to a deal made between TLG and Target. The UK did not get them any earlier than the rest of Europe. 

9 hours ago, KevinMD said:

I read an interview with some set designers that they were working on the Chamber of Secrets for this wave, but it didn't work out. This was why they included a basilisk in the Great Hall set instead. I'll see if I can find the interview. 

12 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

The only difference now is that there will be still more FB movies, and, very likely, sets based on them. There is a chance they will produce more HP sets alongside the FB ones - maybe not full waves, but 2-3 additional sets depicting scenes that weren't done before.

That is a interesting thought! Maybe the first waves have most HP sets, but the later waves have more FB sets. I saw the designers where complaining that they more or less where working in the dark designing Grindelwald´s Escape - 75951, because the security with new films are so high they barely get any info at all. With HP and when FB films are released they have all the source materiel they can dream off.. The other reason there are few FB sets are most likely because Lego are not sure they will sell well.. Hopefully they do so we can see the shift in a few years from HP to FB, maybe those waves will have some HP sets that where for some reason not in earlier waves like COS :grin:

8 hours ago, KevinMD said:

7 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I agree!

5 hours ago, joeee said:

Should be doable, hopefully we see something like that soon :sweet:

6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

If you have read or looked at a designer interview about HP it is pretty clear that first wave focused on year 1-2  (" We based these sets on movies 1 and 2 with a few bits from 3 added for flavour")! So no we have not gotten year 3 yet just a flavour from it, next wave most likely is 3 and 4.. With your logic we can say that the GH set is from every movie that has the great hall in at least one scene etc :hmpf:

11 hours ago, joeee said:

Where did this info come from? Sounds very interesting to me. Wouldn't be the first time either, after the Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit sets.

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

BrickVault has uploaded a review of Hogwarts Castle!

It looks incredible! I expect this will be the next UCS MF in terms of availability for a while once it goes live.

10 minutes ago, youngy4130 said:

Does anyone know what time the VIP early access sets go online? Will it literally be midnight tonight for the castle? 

It’s 1.45am in Australia and it’s not available yet. Sets usually release around 8-9am here.

I don't see Chamber happening right now. I understand putting it under Great Hall but wouldn't the Whomping Willow set need something underneath it as well so it wouldn't be floating in mid air? I would love a huge Chamber that extends to both sides but I don't see it. And where would we put the Willow itself? What I do see is a Girl's Bathroom to recreate COS, GOF, and HBP scenes with Polyjuice Harry, Polyjuice Ron, Moaning Myrtle, Hermione, and Ginny alongside a DADA classroom with Lockhart and  Lupin and some pixies and a Dementor as the next extension.