Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

I found a Graves. :) Couldn't believe it when I felt the two hairpieces and one of them wasn't Mad Eye's. I felt like I'd got the golden ticket! Can't exactly comment on location as the box was a bit messed up, but I think it was left side somewhere.

Also managed to find Trelawney, Young Harry and Dean so my set is complete. :)

Edited by BacktoBricks

54 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

It could be a Quidditch set with the other half of the pitch and include Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw players for the first time. 

At this point, I would remain skeptical of this set's existence until we either receive a more comprehensive list of rumors or another source.

4 hours ago, RODDY said:

So do we think we are getting a January Wave or waiting till Summer? Because if it's for Summer we got ways to go. I don't remember the names leaking till December of last yesr and the descriptions were BS. And we didn't anything about the Hogwarts Express till the press release. As for Quidditch Lesson, maybe a battlepack? I wouldn't put any faith in leaks just quite yet. Lego is wisely putting their cards to its chest. 

I’m gonna predict a March release for wave 2, a winter wave seems too soon, but you never know, we will be away of any plans fairly soon as stuff is leaking now. I just hope for a battlepack type Set with a student from each house! 

11 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

It could be a Quidditch set with the other half of the pitch and include Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw players for the first time. 

That would be amazing! Continue the love we’ve seen for the other Houses. 

I heard somewhere.. not sure where, that Lego wanted the Harry Potter sets to be a green line. If that is true I can see at least 3 years of releases. I also think the HP sets are replacing a Castle Theme like LotR did for now. We can still get a Dragon or two out of this series.. crossing fingers and bricks! lol.

It would be great if they did do a Quidditch battle pack to expand the Quidditch set. Perhaps as time goes on we could get "darker" battle packs that could include some Death Eaters, more Dementors and other characters.

I would be thrilled with a Hagrids Hutt, the Leaky Cauldron and Ollivanders Wand Shop for all those extra wands I have been accumulating with the Collectible minifig series!

1 hour ago, Mattybrick said:

Ollivanders Wand Shop for all those extra wands I have been accumulating with the Collectible minifig series!

I thought about the same when I collected all the minifigures: all these wands are enough for the big Wand Shop and now we need many LEGO "boxes" for them... :classic: 

I searched another Barnes and Noble, a Walmart, and two Targets and only found the CMF wave being sold at the last Target. (The Walmart I went to had a Harry Potter CMF standup display, but it was completely filled with the Unikitty series, with not even a single Harry Potter bag to be found :hmpf_bad:)  I ended up with Newt Scamander, Queenie Goldstein, Credence Barebone, and a second Percival Graves.  Now I just need Voldemort and Professor Trelawney and I'll have a complete set!

Also, a possible Quidditch Lesson set?  If true, I wonder what it would consist of.  Hopefully it won't be long before more information regarding potential 2019 sets pops up.

1 hour ago, Mattybrick said:

I would be thrilled with a Hagrids Hutt, the Leaky Cauldron and Ollivanders Wand Shop for all those extra wands I have been accumulating with the Collectible minifig series!

Same. I used to be awash with spare batarangs; now it's wands. Ollivanders would be the perfect set to chuck them all into.

In my opinion, the Dark Arts Class would be an excellent set for every Harry's school year: imagine the lesson with Lupin and different versions of boggart, new wardrobe... alongside with Lochart and his great portrait ;-)

We can "create" the new sets again and again. :head_back:

This would be excellent:

Minifigures:
Harry, Draco
Cedric, Cho (the last two are already CMFs! They just need to make a Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw torso!)
Hooch, Wood?, Flint?

I am guessing it is a battle pack. We will get a trunk. A snitch. Quaffle. Beater bats. I am also thinking they need to include some sort of building for playability...but since we already have hoops and stands are too big for this set...maybe the white tents that sit outside of the field! I do not think they would have them as lockers but in COS, they had a small scene in the tent and Wood was in front of a chalkboard with the pitch drawn on it! It is a 'lesson' after all! Seeing a chalkboard with the pitch drawn on it would excite me as a kid! (Actually, it does right now. lol!)

Like the OOTP Room of Requirement set with the targets, maybe there will be some sort of short hoop to shoot too.

Minifigures, check! Building, check! Exciting shooting action, check!

Edited by joeee

As Azani points out in the Star Wars thread, we actually don't have any tangible reason to believe there'll be a new wave early next year... I think we all got a bit carried away by the rumour that TLG allegedly attempts to turn this into an evergreen theme, but that's just what it is - a rumour. Didn't one of the designers imply that additional waves would depend on the first wave's sales? If so, we shouldn't expect a further wave before next summer, just like in 2011 :wink:

Edited by Lego-Freak

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

As Azani points out in the Star Wars thread, we actually don't have any tangible reason to believe there'll be a new wave early next year... I think we all got a bit carried away by the rumour that TLG allegedly attempts to turn this into an evergreen theme, but that's just what it is - a rumour. Didn't one of the designers imply that additional waves would depend on the first wave's sales? If so, we shoulnd't expect a further wave before next summer, just like in 2011 :wink:

Probably a major focus on Lego movie sets again for the first few months of the year?

11 hours ago, Miss Feklista said:

In my opinion, the Dark Arts Class would be an excellent set for every Harry's school year: imagine the lesson with Lupin and different versions of boggart, new wardrobe... alongside with Lochart and his great portrait ;-)

I second that idea, the DADA class is a big hole in the Hogwarts Castle (Minifig Versions) so far. I think the Hogwarts Castle sets are done as components for a reason. So you can mix the sets together and make different scenes.

I really hope this theme doesn't suffer the same fate like Lotr did.An amazing first wave with alot of potential and then an awful second wave lacking in both quality and quantity.

Hopefully with Harry Potter's appeal to all ages will insure good sales for this first wave so that the future of this theme will be green.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

As Azani points out in the Star Wars thread, we actually don't have any tangible reason to believe there'll be a new wave early next year... I think we all got a bit carried away by the rumour that TLG allegedly attempts to turn this into an evergreen theme, but that's just what it is - a rumour. Didn't one of the designers imply that additional waves would depend on the first wave's sales? If so, we shouldn't expect a further wave before next summer, just like in 2011 :wink:

I one hundred percent agree. I don't see a winter wave happening but Summer I think for sure. Unlike others here, I don't see HP as an evergreen theme. Not because of popularity but there is a limit on how much sets you can make. Various parts of Hogwarts, Ministry Of Magic, The Burrow, the three tasks, Diagon Alley, Knight Bus, and Priver Drive will take five years max. Not enough locations to be honest. Another reason why I think Lego is waiting is they shoehorned alot of characters in the first wave just in case another wave doesn't happen. Just hope for at least one more wave to get Sirius, Wormtail, and Lockhart.  This is why Star Wars is evergreen, it has a huge universe. But I don't mind once a year, I have major interest in Star Wars and Ninjago as well so I can send some money that way. Also Indiana Jones 5 might bring some remakes as well.

On a different topic I walked into Wal-Mart today to buy the Riddler Racer and I saw the HP sets at lower costs. Both Willow and Express were 10 dollars cheaper interestingly enough. 

Edited by RODDY

2 hours ago, RODDY said:

I one hundred percent agree. I don't see a winter wave happening but Summer I think for sure. Unlike others here, I don't see HP as an evergreen theme. Not because of popularity but there is a limit on how much sets you can make. Various parts of Hogwarts, Ministry Of Magic, The Burrow, the three tasks, Diagon Alley, Knight Bus, and Priver Drive will take five years max. Not enough locations to be honest. Another reason why I think Lego is waiting is they shoehorned alot of characters in the first wave just in case another wave doesn't happen. Just hope for at least one more wave to get Sirius, Wormtail, and Lockhart.  This is why Star Wars is evergreen, it has a huge universe. But I don't mind once a year, I have major interest in Star Wars and Ninjago as well so I can send some money that way. Also Indiana Jones 5 might bring some remakes as well.

On a different topic I walked into Wal-Mart today to buy the Riddler Racer and I saw the HP sets at lower costs. Both Willow and Express were 10 dollars cheaper interestingly enough. 

Lego clearly wants this to be evergreen. That's why this whole first wave was from the first couple years, they know they can expand on it further down the line. With eight Harry Potter movies, two Fantastic Beasts movies plus more planned, and maybe even other film spinoffs, there's content for years and years to come. 

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Some people think every theme is going to be an evergreen. I'm actually beginning to get sick of that term :grin:

HP will probably sell well, and I think it will end up like POTC: Another wave of sets based on the original films, and then a couple sets each time a new FB movie comes out. HP has a habit of popping in and out:

Active from 2001-2005

Discontinued in 2006

Brought back for one set in 2007

Discontinued from 2008-2009

Active from 2010-2011

Discontinued from 2012-2017

Active from 2018-?

I think that pattern will continue. It's more popular than LOTR, so it will keep coming back. It is not as popular as Star Wars, so it won't be around every year. 

1 hour ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Lego clearly wants this to be evergreen. That's why this whole first wave was from the first couple years, they know they can expand on it further down the line. With eight Harry Potter movies, two Fantastic Beasts movies plus more planned, and maybe even other film spinoffs, there's content for years and years to come. 

Yes there are 8 movies but they all revolve around Hogwarts. It's rare they leave. The only other places they go that are recognizable to casuals are The Burrow, Diagon Alley, Ministry of Magic, and Privet Drive for HP. No way we are getting a Xenophilus house or something of that nature. So let's break it down for example;

Summer 2019 (3/4):

Hagrid's Hutt(POA with Buckbeak) 

Graveyard Duel 

Knight Bus

Hogwarts Extension: DADA office/Girl's Bathroom where Harry opens the egg. Maybe throw the Horntail in there.

Shrieking Shack

Summer 2020 (5/6): 

Cave With Inferi 

Ministry of Magic 

HE: Astronomy Tower/Room of Requirements/Umbridge Office

The Burrow

Weasley Emporium/Ollivander's

Summer 2021(7 1&2):

Gringott's Bank 

Forbidden Forest 

HE: Hogwarts Bridge Defense akin to 2011

Farewell To Privet Drive 

4 years that pretty much covers the basics and then some. Anything beyond these won't sell well and be too obscure. I would have put Chamber but I don't think we are getting one (Shock me Lego, I needed a suprise). I would like the Second Task and Yule Ball but I don't see those happening. Temporary yes, but I give it 4 years tops. Not every year at least for HP like Star Wars. It's a pipe dream at best for evergreen.

Edited by RODDY

1 hour ago, BrickJagger said:

Some people think every theme is going to be an evergreen. I'm actually beginning to get sick of that term :grin:

HP will probably sell well, and I think it will end up like POTC: Another wave of sets based on the original films, and then a couple sets each time a new FB movie comes out. HP has a habit of popping in and out:

Active from 2001-2005

Discontinued in 2006

Brought back for one set in 2007

Discontinued from 2008-2009

Active from 2010-2011

Discontinued from 2012-2017

Active from 2018-?

I think that pattern will continue. It's more popular than LOTR, so it will keep coming back. It is not as popular as Star Wars, so it won't be around every year. 

I think we could get a large wave every 2 years when a new Fantastic Beasts movie comes out. 

Just as a precaution, I'm gonna leave this here: don't fall into the same mindset that the LOTR fans had. It's crazy how that was so recent but everyone has forgotten about it. The LOTR 2012 thread was the second biggest thread on the whole site because people kept raving about how LOTR was "going to last for at least ten years" because "there's so much to cover" and "LOTR is one of the biggest fanbases in the world". I'm starting to see that here, don't get too overconfident for your own sake because you'll end up disappointing yourselves. Of course you should appreciate what's out now and hope for more but don't expect it to run for ten years, because the odds are against that happening. :wink:

1 hour ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Or, they covered the first few movies this year because they're covering everything in chronological order, and after they cover the remaining movies in the next two years they'll stop making sets. "Clearly" is a strong word here.

Edited by BrickJagger

I just picked up Trelawney, and she's lovely. The cup and saucer are also fantastic additions that I can't wait to see more of. It's such an astoundingly dramatic improvement over whatever they thought that older figure was. 

20 hours ago, Miss Feklista said:

Not only that, but we have Quirrell, although we never saw him teaching, & Moody(you could also count Umbridge I suppose).  So much re retains coukd take place in just that he set.