Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

10 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Am I the only one who thinks the face prints for the CMF are really off? Compare Newt and Jacob to their set counterparts. The printing is really thick and the eyes are way too big, and a lot of the spacing and sizes of details on the CMF faces doesn’t fit the usual Lego design; like Cedric and Ron. My Newt looks almost like a knock-off because the lines are so thick. And Jacobs face looks almost twice as big as his set counterpart. Harry’s glasses are way bigger on the cloaked version than the jumper version in the sets. And then the two Grindlewald figures are just incomparable.

its honestly like the graphic designer had a day off when these got approved. The quality all round for the series looks quite low

Edit: also comparing Tina’s smiling face to her smiling face from the set is completely different

Can’t compare FB sets yet, but looking at Cloak Harry & jumper Harry, the glasses are the same. However, the Harry with the owl has smaller glasses.

1 hour ago, Ltfalcon said:

I see the chess room and the Flying Key room?

Now I see it. In the link, theres a picture of the set seperated. And behind the Key room, you can see there exists another room, can't figure out any detail, other than there's some green in it. So we all know what it should be ;)

about the prints: they just gave the figures a certain style, that isn't consistent through the line. the HP sets go partly for realism, partly they are less accurate and rather "childish and funny", which is totally ok and actually looks sweet I think.

Some CMF's face designs do really look strange. I wanna add that Dumbledore's face doesn't resemble the actor all that well + the beard is way too think (Petruvious beard mold in grey would probably look better) and the beardless spot between hair and face is totally awkward as well as unnecessary - since they did 2 new molds anway

That being sad, figures are not perfect, but still very good and I can't wait to get my hands on them.

12 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Am I the only one who thinks the face prints for the CMF are really off? Compare Newt and Jacob to their set counterparts. The printing is really thick and the eyes are way too big, and a lot of the spacing and sizes of details on the CMF faces doesn’t fit the usual Lego design; like Cedric and Ron. My Newt looks almost like a knock-off because the lines are so thick. And Jacobs face looks almost twice as big as his set counterpart. Harry’s glasses are way bigger on the cloaked version than the jumper version in the sets. And then the two Grindlewald figures are just incomparable.

Exactly my thoughts. Thick is the word. The face printing is an opaque black (doesn't look black like in the sets) and the details on the faces aren't as sharp on the CMF's. Percival Graves is the perfect example. Looks like keychain quality LOL. 

However I have a mixed feeling about it because for example I think the printing on luna's face with specs looks very sharp.

By the way, I need some advice. I don't know if to go after more CMF's, I have one foot in the dark ages and one foot in the lego closet. Yesterday I felt kind of bad for spending money on LEGO but today I kind of regret not getting more minifigs.

Edited by Otherworld

I went to another Barnes and Noble and Target, and bought 9 a total of new CMF bags between those two places.  Unfortunately, Target put a limit of 5 bags per customer on the CMF wave.  According to an employee, they had too much trouble keeping them in stock due to numerous people buying them in large quantities, and in one case, buying an entire box.  Good to hear the series is selling so well, though inconvenient for me! :look:

I ended up with Ron Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Cho Chang, Dobby, Mad-Eye Moody, Invisibility Cloak Harry, Albus Dumbledore, Tina Goldstein, and Jacob Kowalski.  Just 5 more and I'll have a complete set! :classic:

Edited by spiderfan2000

I was planning to wait for a better deal but caved and ordered the Great Hall and the Whomping Willow from an online shop since inventories were dwindling fast. The discount was about 27%, so it's not too bad. I am somewhat surprised since I'm usually very patient, even when it comes to top D2C sets. CMF box shipped today too. Gonna be fun, just a shame that Hogwart's Express is an exclusive and wasn't available.

7 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

I went to another Barnes and Noble and Target, and bought 9 a total of new CMF bags between those two places.  Unfortunately, Target put a limit of 5 bags per customer on the CMF wave.  According to an employee, they had too much trouble keeping them in stock due to numerous people buying them in large quantities, and in one case, buying an entire box.  Good to hear the series is selling so well, though inconvenient for me! :look:

I ended up with Ron Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Cho Chang, Dobby, Mad-Eye Moody, Invisibility Cloak Harry, Albus Dumbledore, Tina Goldstein, and Jacob Kowalski.  Just 5 more and I'll have a complete set! :classic:

Limit of five bags...that’s a bit rough by Target! I haven’t heard of any limits where I’m from. In fact buying sealed boxes is very common here and then people just sell off the duplicates via FB groups.  

I must say I am amazed at how popular this theme is already. Inventory of the great hall and Hogwarts Express in the U.K. is already very low from what I here, and it seems it is a similar story in the US. The CMF series has been sold out in most shops I’ve been too, as have many of the sets. It is quite amazing how these sets are so popular, despite being based on a series that ended 7 years ago, with the sets based on mainly 2 films released 17&16 years ago! I hope this not only means that this theme will continue, but perhaps open up the doorway to Lego returning to other older themes (*cough*Indianan Jones in 2020*cough*)

i think it’s almost a given that we’ll be getting g another wave or 2 next year. I’m gonna guess the first wave will be around the spring release dates.

1 minute ago, Whovastron said:

I must say I am amazed at how popular this theme is already. Inventory of the great hall and Hogwarts Express in the U.K. is already very low from what I here, and it seems it is a similar story in the US. The CMF series has been sold out in most shops I’ve been too, as have many of the sets. It is quite amazing how these sets are so popular, despite being based on a series that ended 7 years ago, with the sets based on mainly 2 films released 17&16 years ago! I hope this not only means that this theme will continue, but perhaps open up the doorway to Lego returning to other older themes (*cough*Indianan Jones in 2020*cough*)

i think it’s almost a given that we’ll be getting g another wave or 2 next year. I’m gonna guess the first wave will be around the spring release dates.

I'm so frigging excited to see what comes next!

PS. If anyone has the chance to get the Harry's Journey to Hogwarts pollybag I would recommend it, it's really cute!

6 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

I was planning to wait for a better deal but caved and ordered the Great Hall and the Whomping Willow from an online shop since inventories were dwindling fast. The discount was about 27%, so it's not too bad. I am somewhat surprised since I'm usually very patient, even when it comes to top D2C sets. CMF box shipped today too. Gonna be fun, just a shame that Hogwart's Express is an exclusive and wasn't available.

Did you order your CMF box from Minifigure Maddness?

Still no sign of the Fantastic Beasts sets or the X-wing in my area, which happen to be the sets I wanted the most. Oh well, more waiting I guess.

4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Still no sign of the Fantastic Beasts sets or the X-wing in my area, which happen to be the sets I wanted the most. Oh well, more waiting I guess.

That's a surefire sign of a scalper... I have plenty in my area.

Edited by RODDY

7 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Did you order your CMF box from Minifigure Maddness?

No, it was from a Norwegian AFOL-friendly shop.

22 hours ago, Duncan Young said:

I just nabbed a Graves fig! In an opened box no less!

Congrats! Speaking of Graves and box position, I saw an upright minifigure display at one of the area Wal-Marts, and was curious where he might actually be in it.

10 hours ago, Black Numenorean said:

Did you have a problem with this website?

No, I’m just wondering if they started shipping out yet since I ordered my box from them. 

As it seems pretty likely that this line is here for the long haul, what do we think might be on Lego's shortlist for the next wave? My guesses - more of a wish list - are:

1. The Knight Bus. Iconic Potter vehicle, plus a chance to revisit and modernise the 2011 set.

2. Shrieking Shack. That secret door at the base of the Whomping Willow keeps drawing my eye, plus an opportunity for minifigures of Syrius, Lupin and Pettigrew.

3. Castle Greenhouses. I would LOVE a set featuring the Herbology classroom with Professor Sprout (could be a bigger version of the greenhouse in 75904 Mystery Mansion).

4. Diagon Alley. All these new wand pieces have to have come from somewhere!

I've been spending way too much time thinking about this...

27 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

As it seems pretty likely that this line is here for the long haul, what do we think might be on Lego's shortlist for the next wave? My guesses - more of a wish list - are:

1. The Knight Bus. Iconic Potter vehicle, plus a chance to revisit and modernise the 2011 set.

2. Shrieking Shack. That secret door at the base of the Whomping Willow keeps drawing my eye, plus an opportunity for minifigures of Syrius, Lupin and Pettigrew.

3. Castle Greenhouses. I would LOVE a set featuring the Herbology classroom with Professor Sprout (could be a bigger version of the greenhouse in 75904 Mystery Mansion).

4. Diagon Alley. All these new wand pieces have to have come from somewhere!

I've been spending way too much time thinking about this...

I think the Shrieking Shack is very likely given that with this wave we're likely to get sets from years 3 and 4. if we do get a shrieking shack; a new moulded werewolf Lupin would be ideal. Similar to the general griveous minifig.

another set i would love to get is a remake of the first task with a huge brickbuilt horntail with a molded head. I think since we got the horntail in the d2c we might also get it.

There's still plenty about the 2018 offerings to discuss (UCS, the fate of that Bricktober pack, etc) so please keep wishlists and speculation to the Wishlist topic: 

Now that I've gotten all of the Collectible Minifigs that I wanted (besides Graves, who I think I'm unlikely to find), I can join the top favourite minifigs discussion:

1. Trelawney - just so outstandingly gorgeous in design (and amazing new accessories, but this is about the minifigs)

2. Neville - really captures young Neville perfectly

3. Sets Hermione - such a perfect new hair mould for the character

After those three I can't say I have particular favourites. New Harry is very nice all around, though he's still not my favourite Harry ever.

I was really looking forward to the new Dumbledores but there's something about that Gandalf beard that I don't like even on the Great Hall one, and I think the 2010 face prints were much better. The CMF Dumbledore looks a bit odd too given that the beard and hair aren't connected at all. It almost looks like the minifig is wearing a fake beard.

My faves in no particular order (admittedly I haven't seen all in person yet, and I may slightly favour some characters I didn't already have from the 2010 wave):

• Nearly Headless Nick
  • Filch (I think they captured the actor really well with this one!)
  • Trewlaney
  • Mad-Eye Moody
  • Flitwick

Favorites up to now are Quirrell, Nick, Dumbledore (CMF), Trewlaney and Credence. More interestingly, what are the worst minifigs from this wave?

Ron and Hermione (CMF) - Doesn't work for me. They are not recognizable.

Luna looks quite bad as well, they totally missed her cuteness.

McGonnagal with her shitty old-fashioned hat.