Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

5 minutes ago, Ferder said:

....I'm curious how they could design a properly detailed Hogwarts with minifig-sized rooms that didn't end up looking like this monster (impressive but outrageous as an actual set).....

Whether they realize it or not, this seems to be what several people are saying they want.  Although at 400,000 pieces and 13 feet x 13 feet, I anticipate some of the same folks would be grousing over price, bulk shipping and display issues should such a set come to be.

20 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

Whether they realize it or not, this seems to be what several people are saying they want.  Although at 400,000 pieces and 13 feet x 13 feet, I anticipate some of the same folks would be grousing over price, bulk shipping and display issues should such a set come to be.

I think people are getting minifig scale and system scale mixed up. They want the scale that the Great Hall is . What people wanted from the D2C was a big extension to the aforementioned sets. And I do hope we do get all of the rooms in the set in system scale eventually. I'd buy Chamber, Winged Snare, DADA Office, Library, Chessboard, Umbridge's Office, Dumbledore's Office, Girl's Bathroom and what not.

I think it’s a very safe bet that we will get extensions onto Hogwarts. The castle is the most iconic location in the franchise, and if done properly, Lego can produce sets based off different parts to cover the next few years atleast, and they can focus on different films.

CoS - Chamber of Secrets, DADA classroom, greenhouses (herbokogy lesson set with the mandrakes introduced for the CMF?)

PoA - clock tower, dark tower, Hagrids hut

GoT - tournament areas, Owlery

OotP - a building for the room of requirement/ Dolores’ office

HBP - Astronomty Tower

DH - literally any building aslong as there’s exploding functions

i also think it’s a safe bet that this line will be popular, in the U.K. atleast. London Hamley’s, the biggest toyshop in the U.K., now has a whole floor dedicated to Potter merch. High street clothes super store Primark has had an extremely successful HP range for a year or so now, lots of major supermarkets sell HP home products like stationary, pads and lights to the same capacity as Star Wars (in my local Sainsbury’s the HP selection has grown twice as big within the last month, pushing Star Wars out). There’s also a new range of action figures/dolls that have recently been launched.

The popularity for this franchise is compatible to Star Wars for the way it’s resurfaced and grown years after the “original” series ended. (And now we have prequels! :laugh:). If it’s as popular in the US as it is here, The Wizarding World line will be sticking around for a long while, and with it we shall most certainly acquire a huge system-scale castle over time

2 hours ago, Ferder said:

What exactly are people meaning by Minifig-scale? Are we talking 1-1 scale like UCS Millennium Falcon? Or more like Disney Castle or Tower of Orthanc where the exterior is one scale, and the interior is vignette-scale, with very small rooms? Hogwarts Castle is a HUGE building, and all versions done to date (including the latest Great Hall set) have majorly sacrificed the architectural detail and scale for the sake of making them minifig-accommodating play-sets. 

I'm curious how they could design a properly detailed Hogwarts with minifig-sized rooms that didn't end up looking like this monster (impressive but outrageous as an actual set).

Exactly.  I'm curious what would people spend on a Hogwarts minifig scale set?  With all the complaining I'm wondering would you people spend $1,000 or more how far would you go?  I don't think lego would make enough off of the set if its to big to make it worth while for them to justify doing it.  

I could see them adding a few more sets to the system scale castle but it won’t be anywhere close to complete. First, the two components we already have are slightly awkward to display together and that issue compounds the more sets you add. Second, they won’t want to cannabilze sales from the D2C set. This is the best we are going to get and, frankly, I’m fine with it. Also, if you want more of the castle to be there, build it.

4 hours ago, Whovastron said:

i also think it’s a safe bet that this line will be popular, in the U.K. atleast.

I hope you are right! For the Order of the Phoenix film release, the LEGO Harry Potter line went downhill with only one castle release. Then the rerelease in 2010/2011 saw only two castle sets.

If Harry Potter LEGO could not sell enough to keep going at its peak popularity (when there were still books and films being released), then my faith this line will be evergreen is super slim. :(

I hope I am proved to be very very wrong!

5 minutes ago, joeee said:

I think it is a fair chance your wish is granted, time will show :wink:

The 2010-11 waves sold well I think, but since the movies where finished then, Lego stopped the line also..

The fan base have only increased since then, the original fans have produced a new generation of fans, HP is the most asked for theme not for sale in toyshops around the world and the second hand prices on the old sets are high. Lego would never release a HP lineup like this if they where not sure the sets would sell very well, FB on the other hand are they not sure about at all and they have a much more cautious approach to that line.. If FB sells well also we most likely will see larger waves in that sub-theme in the future :sweet:

Do you think the Harry Potter minifigures will be expensive to get without the sets? Might go for the castle but those minifigures are perfect!

Thinking of getting them on bricklink

1 hour ago, joeee said:

I hope you are right! For the Order of the Phoenix film release, the LEGO Harry Potter line went downhill with only one castle release. Then the rerelease in 2010/2011 saw only two castle sets.

If Harry Potter LEGO could not sell enough to keep going at its peak popularity (when there were still books and films being released), then my faith this line will be evergreen is super slim. :(

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest The Wizarding World will continue as a theme for 2019 and beyond. As others have said, HP fandom is experiencing a renaissance at the moment as ‘older’ fans now have disposable income to buy sets for their kids (and themselves). I haven’t seen this level of anticipation for a Lego theme before. The Great Hall was THE set eveyone was talking about at the New York toy fair in Feb when it was revealed. There are more pages of comments in this forum than the equivalent Star Wars EB forum. The D2C Hogwarts is being reported all over the internet, not just LEGO-centric sites. And it appears that the new sets have sold like hot cakes in the US and I expect the same will happen in Europe and other parts of the world come August 1st. I wouldn’t be suprised if Harry Potter ends up being the biggest seller for TLG in the second half of 2018. Just my 2c.

12 hours ago, Duffyoran said:

Anyone know if any CMF's were found in Europe??

I already have opened a box of 60 with my girls on Tuesday. :classic: Webhallen.com in Sweden ?? has already resleased everything.

5 hours ago, jhoya said:

I could see them adding a few more sets to the system scale castle but it won’t be anywhere close to complete. First, the two components we already have are slightly awkward to display together and that issue compounds the more sets you add. Second, they won’t want to cannabilze sales from the D2C set. This is the best we are going to get and, frankly, I’m fine with it. Also, if you want more of the castle to be there, build it.

I think if they were to “cannabalize sales from the D2C, it’s already happened. There are two great halls and grand towers releasing the same month; one system scale, one UCS/Arcitecture scale. However they are actually a similar size. I already have lost some excitement over the main wave because I think the D2C is a better display piece, so I’m sure the same is happening the other way round. However it seems that Lego are confident enough to be releasing a set based on play and one based on display st the same time, so I don’t think it will affect future Hogwarts buildings being system sets.

3 hours ago, Whovastron said:

I think if they were to “cannabalize sales from the D2C, it’s already happened. There are two great halls and grand towers releasing the same month; one system scale, one UCS/Arcitecture scale. However they are actually a similar size. I already have lost some excitement over the main wave because I think the D2C is a better display piece, so I’m sure the same is happening the other way round. However it seems that Lego are confident enough to be releasing a set based on play and one based on display st the same time, so I don’t think it will affect future Hogwarts buildings being system sets.

I know I didn't get the two castle pieces of the regular LEGO sets in anticipation of the UCS castle.  It paid off too as I am very happy with what we've seen.  I did buy the minifigures that come with regular sets though.

I managed to find all 22 Collectible Minifigures at my local Target in Minnesota. I think it's worth noting to others that are hunting that these were hidden away at the front of the store a 4 registers next to all the candy and gum and such. I never would have found them if I hadn't asked!

I was almost starting to doubt the existence of the devil's snare on the D2C Hogwarts, but there's a picture on Instagram of all the parts of the castle dumped in a pile, and you can clearly make out two vine pieces (Bionicle appendage in dark green) - one in the middle and one on the left, so it definitely exists!

Also, is the snake mold in silver in the Chamber of Secrets, the 4 statues on the side, that is, a new mold? I find this an odd choice as there aren't many new molds in this set. I know a Chamber of Secrets isn't likely at this point, but I'm guessing LEGO intends to use that snake mold for something. Or maybe it's old and I don't know what I'm talking about.

45 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

Also, is the snake mold in silver in the Chamber of Secrets, the 4 statues on the side, that is, a new mold? I find this an odd choice as there aren't many new molds in this set. I know a Chamber of Secrets isn't likely at this point, but I'm guessing LEGO intends to use that snake mold for something. Or maybe it's old and I don't know what I'm talking about.

That snake mold originates from the Ninjago Hands of Time theme, of which there's a couple of sets including them. 

Edited by TAFOL

26 minutes ago, TAFOL said:

That snake mold originates from the Ninjago Hands of Time theme, of which there's a couple of sets including them. 

Ah, I see them now. Still, these will make for a great Chamber of Secrets MOC I imagine.

I just want a new Lockhart so bad hahaha

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

I managed to find all 22 Collectible Minifigures at my local Target in Minnesota.

Were you able to get the older Harry? I wondered if you could help me with my question (or anyone on this forum!)

So the 1st year Harry minifigure hair is PERFECT. The way they sculpted his hair to part to show is scar is wonderful. My question is...with the hair mold on the older Harry (which I am not toooo fond of) does it show off his scar where his hair parts?

Just as an FYI, LEGO stores are now taking preorders for Hogwarts. At my LEGO store, you have to put $40 down...they expect to have 50 slots. However, you have to do this in person (but call ahead first to make sure your store is offering the same deal.) Good luck! I am going to the store on my lunch hour today...

31 minutes ago, BigHobbit said:

Just as an FYI, LEGO stores are now taking preorders for Hogwarts. At my LEGO store, you have to put $40 down...they expect to have 50 slots. However, you have to do this in person (but call ahead first to make sure your store is offering the same deal.) Good luck! I am going to the store on my lunch hour today...

What country are you located in? I didnt think stores in the US offered this.

45 minutes ago, jlsm511 said:

What country are you located in? I didnt think stores in the US offered this.

U.S. This is the first time!!!

2 hours ago, BigHobbit said:

Is the $40 extra just for preordering? So when you get the set you still pay $400 in addition to the previous $40 and not $360? 

Just now, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Is the $40 extra just for preordering? So when you get the set you still pay $400 in addition to the previous $40 and not $360? 

No, it's just part of the 400. So on the actual day you pick it up, you pay the remaining balance and they will give you your castle.

15 minutes ago, BigHobbit said:

No, it's just part of the 400. So on the actual day you pick it up, you pay the remaining balance and they will give you your castle.

Awesome, thanks so much! I was afraid it would be an extra charge and even more afraid that I’d be totally willing to pay it with no questions asked. 

I called my store today (Wijnegem, Antwerp, Belgium) they are not doing pre-orders. So maybe it's only a US/Canada thing. 

54 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Awesome, thanks so much! I was afraid it would be an extra charge and even more afraid that I’d be totally willing to pay it with no questions asked. 

I would have at least considered it too if extra, shame on me. And I'll still get there when the store opens at 10:00 (St Louis area), but I look forward to NOT going in at 7:30 to stand in a line and hope I get one. ;-) Well done, LEGO. I just hope word gets out so everyone can get one who wants one.

So I just got back from my LEGO store in Los Angeles- I asked the worker if it was possible to pre order the D2C Hogwarts and he said yes! And then put me on a list- where I paid $40- and he said to bring back the receipt so I could get it Aug 15th- I was already #6 in the list and he asked how I found out LEGO was doing this because they’ve never done this before- and I said online- and he said that LEGO hasn’t said anything publicly so people don’t get angry, I guess they just wanted it to spread via word of mouth. So if you want the set I’d suggest do this immediately because he said they don’t have room for many and that it will be sold out everywhere.