Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

8 hours ago, harleydavid98 said:

Hey guys, I’m just having a look at Brick Show’s website for Summer 2018 releases and it shows 71043 Hogwarts Castle, is that the D2C set or is it a small Castle part?

71043 is the D2c Hogwart Castle.

I looked Brick show and yes, they said for the summer. I don't know if it is true. But they had had the picture of HP brickheadz.

9 hours ago, harleydavid98 said:

As has been said before if it’s not owned by WB nothing is being made of it, plus as also has been said A LOT of fans don’t count it as canon, so it won’t change anything, plus the target audience of CC are adults whereas CMF and Lego sets (except D2C) are children

Whether the fans count it as canon doesn't matter. JK Rowling does; she is the official source, not fans. 

Also: having read Cursed Child, I don't see anything that makes it specifically adult. I think kids would be able to enjoy it too.

8 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Ok so about the cc characters appearing in this cmf wave let’s look at the possibilities for what the cmf series could include

option 1: Harry Potter characters focuses on years 1-2 maybe 3

option 2: Harry Potter characters from all years

option 3: Harry Potter characters/ fantastic beasts characters 

point is you can easily fill up the cmf series, there isn’t room from any cc characters in the first cmf series and probably not in the second series if we ever get that 

I disagree, you could easily slot some into option two or three. Just have more variety in characters. 

6 hours ago, Azani said:

I'm hoping that we get some kits (for clarity - Cursed Child); there's certainly a very solid chance that TLG will adapt them, especially as it's still a visible bit of HP. :)

There is no chance of this, in 2018 or beyond, unless LEGO get the rights to it. I doubt they will do that while they are partnering with Warner Bros, making sets based on their Harry Potter license.

9 hours ago, Brick Wizard001 said:

He is included in the sets 4705 and 4709. He was quite a big part of the film but unfortunately Columbus (director) wasn’t happy with him so they ended up cutting him from the film. I guess it is one of those things that happened so late in production that they couldn’t change the sets..

Yes, I know he was in the sets (and is named as such on bricklink), but the question was whether he was actually named in the sets. These were back in the day of not having the minifigures named on the boxes and very little description available. Unlike today, where the minifigures are typically named on the box and also detailed in the set description.

51 minutes ago, Black Numenorean said:

I looked Brick show and yes, they said for the summer. I don't know if it is true. But they had had the picture of HP brickheadz.

Where abouts is the picture for the HP Brickheadz? ??

33 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Whether the fans count it as canon doesn't matter. JK Rowling does; she is the official source, not fans. 

Also: having read Cursed Child, I don't see anything that makes it specifically adult. I think kids would be able to enjoy it too.

I disagree, you could easily slot some into option two or three. Just have more variety in characters. 

You don’t listen to anything anyone says do you? They don’t own the rights, it’s not gonna happen, now let’s stop talking about CC and talk about the actual Lego that is coming out

1 hour ago, harleydavid98 said:

Where abouts is the picture for the HP Brickheadz? ??

You don’t listen to anything anyone says do you? They don’t own the rights, it’s not gonna happen, now let’s stop talking about CC and talk about the actual Lego that is coming out

Blurred picture.

Just now, Black Numenorean said:

Blurred picture.

Oh yes, I saw that, they look rather interesting, they may be the first ever Brickheadz I buy

4 hours ago, MAB said:

There is no chance of this, in 2018 or beyond, unless LEGO get the rights to it. I doubt they will do that while they are partnering with Warner Bros, making sets based on their Harry Potter license.

Please put any text that you add to my quote in obvious brackets, dude.

Most folks who understand TLG's priorities can see that you're blatantly wrong. If there's a chance that TLG can make sets off of KOTOR and the old EU for Star Wars, then there's little that would stop them from implicitly asserting that it would be good for the brand to produce Cursed Child sets; getting the rights in question wouldn't be too challenging, especially in the wake of FB and its sequels.

While instantaneous plans for Cursed Child sets are unlikely after the release of the Crimes of Grindelwald sets, there's certainly plenty of precedent for releasing obscure tie-in material on TLG's part - particularly if the parent theme is as well-known and as profitable as HP. After all, it was TLG's top line, with respect to gross sales, in 2003.

5 hours ago, Black Numenorean said:

Essentially, everything on that list is wrong. They do tend to have access to internal info, but a list that includes 41624 Luke Skywalker, 41625 Princess Leia, and 75951 The Crimes of Grindelwald is sloppy. Once they take the March sets off of the list, then I'll give it another look. :P

When they added 71043 as Hogwarts three or four months back, they were guessing in the dark. That said, I am still relatively confident in my belief that 71043 is a D2C Hogwarts kit. :)

Edited by Azani

Just now, Azani said:

When they added 71043 as Hogwarts three or four months back, they were guessing in the dark. That said, I am still relatively confident in my belief that 71043 is a D2C Hogwarts kit. :)

As a new collector of expensive sets (if the price of the Hogwarts is correct), can someone explain to me the difference of Direct to Cosumer (D2C) and Ultimate Collector Series (UCS) and which do you reckon Hogwarts will be?

As was so politely put earlier by our friend Whitefang--stay on topic please. 

As is not so politely put now--STAY ON TOPIC! 

This is not a thread for reviews of plays or arguments about rights issues! Talk about the Lego Harry Potter sets we know about only. SET DISCUSSION ONLY! 

@LEGODalekbuster523 ---> YOU read this!!! 

35 minutes ago, Azani said:

Put any text that you add to my quote in obvious brackets, dude.

I did, they are in brackets and italicised. There is a perfectly good reason that there are no 2018 sets (the subject of this thread) based on Cursed Child - they are partnered with Warner Bros, who do not own the rights, so no 2018 Cursed Child sets. There is no point saying they could pick up the license if they wanted to. If there was a good reason to pick it up for 2018 sets, they would have done it. They haven't, so there isn't. There is no point saying that they might or they could include some CC figures if they wanted to. They won't. [Hopefully that is still on topic enough to remain about 2018 sets].

31 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

As a new collector of expensive sets (if the price of the Hogwarts is correct), can someone explain to me the difference of Direct to Cosumer (D2C) and Ultimate Collector Series (UCS) and which do you reckon Hogwarts will be?

D2C sets are ones sold through Lego - Lego Stores and their online store only. UCS sets are Star Wars sets only. So no HP sets will be UCS.

Other themes have big sets, and some of them may look like UCS style, but UCS is a label only applied to Star Wars sets.

Edited by MAB

33 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

UCS is a label applied to Star Wars D2C sets. Hogwarts (assuming it exists) would be D2C, not UCS.

Edited by jdubbs

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

D2C sets are ones sold through Lego - Lego Stores and their online store only. UCS sets are Star Wars sets only. So no HP sets will be UCS.

Other themes have big sets, and some of them may look like UCS style, but UCS is a label only applied to Star Wars sets.

Just now, jdubbs said:

UCS is a label applied to Star Wars D2C sets. 

I’ve got ya, I got confused because I read an argument on a reddit forum where someone was saying that the SHIELD Helicarrier was a UCS set so I just thought they were big expensive sets, thank you guys for letting me know ?

2 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

...I’ve got ya, I got confused because I read an argument on a reddit forum where someone was saying that the SHIELD Helicarrier was a UCS ...

It is a common misconception. None of the HP sets will be UCS, but that doesn't mean there won't be large and expensive sets in the HP line. They just won't have the UCS badge on them.

Just now, MAB said:

It is a common misconception. None of the HP sets will be UCS, but that doesn't mean there won't be large and expensive sets in the HP line. They just won't have the UCS badge on them.

Are all D2C sets £/$100+ as I’ve just looked at their site and couldn’t find anything exclusive cheaper

Hopefully the 500€ HP set will not be just a bigger Hogwarts castle with the same minifigures as 75954.

Edited by R0Sch
wrong info

8 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

Are all D2C sets £/$100+ as I’ve just looked at their site and couldn’t find anything exclusive cheaper

At this point, generally speaking, yes. There have probably been a few exceptions, years ago, such as the smaller SW UCS sets.

Note that in the US, some lower-priced sets are shared LEGO/retailer exclusives, so those aren't technically D2C but they also aren't widely available. There are supposed to be a few retailer exclusives for HP, such as the rumored Quidditch set, which I think is for Target? Many D2C sets also start out LEGO exclusives and then become available at larger retailers a few months later (the UCS Falcon, for instance, became available outside of LEGO at the start of the year.)

20 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

I got confused because I read an argument on a reddit forum where someone was saying that the SHIELD Helicarrier was a UCS set

The what-is-and-isn't-a-UCS-set debate is a deep, dark (and incredibly tedious) black hole that you don't want to go down. 

2 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

At this point, generally speaking, yes. There have probably been a few exceptions, years ago, such as the smaller SW UCS sets.

Note that in the US, some lower-priced sets are shared LEGO/retailer exclusives, so those aren't technically D2C but they also aren't widely available. There are supposed to be a few retailer exclusives for HP, such as the rumored Quidditch set, which I think is for Target? Many D2C sets also start out LEGO exclusives and then become available at larger retailers a few months later (the UCS Falcon, for instance, became available outside of LEGO at the start of the year.)

The what-is-and-isn't-a-UCS-set debate is a deep, dark (and incredibly tedious) black hole that you don't want to go down. 

We don’t have retail exclusives over here, but then again most of my Lego comes from Amazon, I plan to go to the Lego store in London end of the year though, so that should be fun

13 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

I got confused because I read an argument on a reddit forum where someone was saying that the SHIELD Helicarrier was a UCS set so I just thought they were big expensive sets

7 minutes ago, MAB said:

Same as the Batman Tumbler. Very large set and the information plaque / sticker. The fact it had one of those made people think it was UCS. There's also confusion over whether certain SW UCS sets are actually UCS. I think the Sandcrawler was a UCS and was labelled as such but it didn't have a plaque. Either way I wouldn't worry about it. The price tag should dictate the scale of the set rather than any kind of UCS/D2C label.

35 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

You got your comment in while my screen was in the background. Exactly this.

1 hour ago, harleydavid98 said:

We don’t have retail exclusives over here, but then again most of my Lego comes from Amazon, I plan to go to the Lego store in London end of the year though, so that should be fun

We do have retail exclusives in the UK. TRU, Argos, Tesco, all have had some exclusives over the years. John Lewis in particular have a lot of exclusives at the moment. Six of the current Nexo sets are JL exclusives, along with Caterham, Mini, Beetle, Winter Village sets. I'm hoping HP sets will not be exclusives, as it means that it will be much more likely to get a 30% discount if a number of retailers sell them.

Just now, MAB said:

We do have retail exclusives in the UK. TRU, Argos, Tesco, all have had some exclusives over the years. John Lewis in particular have a lot of exclusives at the moment. Six of the current Nexo sets are JL exclusives, along with Caterham, Mini, Beetle, Winter Village sets. I'm hoping HP sets will not be exclusives, as it means that it will be much more likely to get a 30% discount if a number of retailers sell them.

Ooh, I knew that TRU did, but they’ve gone bust so I wasn’t counting them but I didn’t realise Tesco and Argos do, if Argos does get exclusives I’m not too bothered because I work there so I can get my staff discount and they quite often go down in price quite a bit, but if they aren’t retail exclusives that’ll make me even happier because they’ll be cheaper on Amazon as you’ll be able to pick them up easier

Tesco have in the past, although I cannot think of anything current. JL seems to be the major player these days when it comes to exclusives. Although Argos have the new Elves range as an exclusive. TRU have had their own exclusives (Geoffreys etc) and the Bricktober type sets, and then occasionally the retailers used to get one set from a range as an exclusive (eg. TRU had, I think, Barrel Escape from the Hobbit range). But this who range as an exclusive seems to be new. I'm really hoping HP is as wide a distribution as possible and that one retailer is not allowed to dominate.

Just now, MAB said:

Tesco have in the past, although I cannot think of anything current. JL seems to be the major player these days when it comes to exclusives. Although Argos have the new Elves range as an exclusive. TRU have had their own exclusives (Geoffreys etc) and the Bricktober type sets, and then occasionally the retailers used to get one set from a range as an exclusive (eg. TRU had, I think, Barrel Escape from the Hobbit range). But this who range as an exclusive seems to be new. I'm really hoping HP is as wide a distribution as possible and that one retailer is not allowed to dominate.

Possible stupid question, what’s JL? And I know that TRU had the Lego Batman Movie Arkham Asylum and the only Wonder Woman set the Ares battle, imagine if they did an exclusive “Arkham Asylum” type Azkaban set with all the Dark wizards in their prison garbs

The "leaked" cmf list is most likely fake, so which figs do you you guys think we get in the series? it is very hard to guess and I may have half wrong, but here it goes:

1. Harry
  2. Ron
  3. Hermione
  4. Dumbledore
  5. Hagrid with Fang
  6. Moaning Myrtle
  7. Dobby
  8. Griphook
  9. Ginny
  10. Mr. Ollivander
  11. Aunt Petunia
  12. Dudley Dursley
  13. Uncle Vernon
  14. Fred Weasley
  15. George Weasley
  16. Gilderoy Lockhart
  17. Madam Pomfrey
  18. Newt
  19. Tina
  20. Queenie
  21. Jacob
  22. Percival Graves

Now it is your turn :wink:

I think they will definitely do Harry, Ron and Hermione as CMFs (as variants not in sets), but probably try to keep some of the more sought after ones in the sets rather than the CMF. Maybe Dobby, for example. Probably not have Hagrid in the CMF either (due to big body). And then put some odd surprises in the CMF that leave people thinking why did they include that.