Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

I don't see them releasing a Hogwarts that wouldn't have its own Great Hall.  If all of the other sets connect to the Hogwarts to flesh it out, I don't see why it would be a $500 set.  Doesn't seem worth it.

18 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I’m expecting the D2C to be completely open around the back like the Disney Castle, which I’m 100% okay with. I love open back sets since it’s easy to get into and opens up a lot of play possibilities, while sets that are completely closed often have smaller interiors. Plus, with an open backed set, they can do a lot more in terms of size with a certain amount of bricks as opposed to an enclosed set with the same amount of bricks. 

4 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I don't see them releasing a Hogwarts that wouldn't have its own Great Hall.  If all of the other sets connect to the Hogwarts to flesh it out, I don't see why it would be a $500 set.  Doesn't seem worth it.

Something important to note is that if you look at a map of Hogwarts the Great Hall+Staircase Tower are around 1/6th of the castle, if the D2C is a dollhouse style set that combines with the Great Hall set it could probably cover the entire castle (sans dungeons)

4 hours ago, x105Black said:

But why would they release 2 Great Halls? Like if one in D2C will be bigger and better I don't mind...

I agree. A $500 Hogwarts would still have to work as a stand-alone set. Without one of the most iconic parts of the castle it would look odd. They’ve already said in the press release that you can combine the Whomping Willow set with the Great Hall. I know that doesn’t specifically mean it connects via technic pins but it strongly implies it. Having the smaller sets as ‘modular’ play sets and the $500 set as a grand display piece would be ideal imo.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

But why would they release 2 Great Halls? Like if one in D2C will be bigger and better I don't mind...

Lego have done it before with Emperor's Throne room. There was a stand alone Final Duel set in 2015 and then it came as part of the updated Death Star in 2016. Both featuring different designs. 

7 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

Lego have done it before with Emperor's Throne room. There was a stand alone Final Duel set in 2015 and then it came as part of the updated Death Star in 2016. Both featuring different designs. 

I doubt they'd do that because they have peg holes (whatever they're called) in the Great Hall which will probably connect to the D2C. There would be not point in that if they were gonna have a smaller one in the D2C

They can make the other half of it to have a full one when combining the 2 sets

23 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

You can't compare those 2, the death star was almost the same as the one we got in 2008, they wouldn't leave out a room because they already released a more detailed version the year before, a set that came out 7 years later than the one they pretty much rereleased but updated.

1 hour ago, Markalus said:

I agree. A $500 Hogwarts would still have to work as a stand-alone set. Without one of the most iconic parts of the castle it would look odd. They’ve already said in the press release that you can combine the Whomping Willow set with the Great Hall. I know that doesn’t specifically mean it connects via technic pins but it strongly implies it. Having the smaller sets as ‘modular’ play sets and the $500 set as a grand display piece would be ideal imo.

I'll have to disagree. Why would it look odd? In the previous waves of Harry Potter sets we only got 2 great halls in total and many and many other parts of the castle to connect to the first great hall. These sets still sold like hotcakes and were perfectly able to work as stand-alone sets. The other one was a small version of the entire castle with only the most important parts/rooms. Other parts of the castle might not be as iconic as the great hall, but they're still really iconic and all have an interesting design to them. Think about the clock tower, the astronomy tower, the greenhouses, the bridges, the courtyards. The great hall we'll get this year is the best one yet and amazingly detailed, it will be hard to top that. And now we'll know it can connect to other sets so we can easily asume they'll go the same route as back in 2001. It would be a shame if we'll miss out on the other parts of the castle just to get the exact same building that's allready in stores, just bigger and more expensive. Because let's be honest, if they'll make the great hall and the tower bigger and more detailed than the one that's already on the shelves and they want to really make it stand out, there won't be room for any other parts of the castle for that price. Resulting in that most people will only buy one (except for the hardcore fans), most likely the cheapest one, that wouldn't make sense business wise. And what will be the next step? Releasing another D2C with the different parts of the castle? Wouldn't that create the same ''problem'' (it wouldn't work as a stand-alone set) that made them put 2 great halls on the shelf instead of multiple Hogwarts parts? Or will they be releasing just a great hall over and over again. And if they'll add another small great hall to the D2C (that wouldn't fit onto the normal one, Nabii was very clear about that) wouldn't that just be a big middle finger towards the people that bought the great hall just a few months earlier? There wouldn't be any reason to buy that one than except for a few exclusive minifigures. I'll take the entire Hogwarts castle for about $600,-/€600,- total as a display piece over just a big great hall for about $500,-/€500,- anyday. However it's still possible, lego has made more strange decisions in it's past, but it would be a very strange decision in my opinion. If the D2C set came out about a year after the great hall out, when you can't buy it anymore, it would have made sense, but not when it's released around the same time.

52 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

You can't compare those 2, the death star was almost the same as the one we got in 2008, they wouldn't leave out a room because they already released a more detailed version the year before, a set that came out 7 years later than the one they pretty much rereleased but updated.

I'll have to disagree. Why would it look odd? In the previous waves of Harry Potter sets we only got 2 great halls in total and many and many other parts of the castle to connect to the first great hall. These sets still sold like hotcakes and were perfectly able to work as stand-alone sets. The other one was a small version of the entire castle with only the most important parts/rooms. Other parts of the castle might not be as iconic as the great hall, but they're still really iconic and all have an interesting design to them. Think about the clock tower, the astronomy tower, the greenhouses, the bridges, the courtyards. The great hall we'll get this year is the best one yet and amazingly detailed, it will be hard to top that. And now we'll know it can connect to other sets so we can easily asume they'll go the same route as back in 2001. It would be a shame if we'll miss out on the other parts of the castle just to get the exact same building that's allready in stores, just bigger and more expensive. Because let's be honest, if they'll make the great hall and the tower bigger and more detailed than the one that's already on the shelves and they want to really make it stand out, there won't be room for any other parts of the castle for that price. Resulting in that most people will only buy one (except for the hardcore fans), most likely the cheapest one, that wouldn't make sense business wise. And what will be the next step? Releasing another D2C with the different parts of the castle? Wouldn't that create the same ''problem'' (it wouldn't work as a stand-alone set) that made them put 2 great halls on the shelf instead of multiple Hogwarts parts? Or will they be releasing just a great hall over and over again. And if they'll add another small great hall to the D2C (that wouldn't fit onto the normal one, Nabii was very clear about that) wouldn't that just be a big middle finger towards the people that bought the great hall just a few months earlier? There wouldn't be any reason to buy that one than except for a few exclusive minifigures. I'll take the entire Hogwarts castle for about $600,-/€600,- total as a display piece over just a big great hall for about $500,-/€500,- anyday. However it's still possible, lego has made more strange decisions in it's past, but it would be a very strange decision in my opinion. If the D2C set came out about a year after the great hall out, when you can't buy it anymore, it would have made sense, but not when it's released around the same time.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. It’s possible that they include “the second half” of the Hall but I doubt it since all 4 house tables and everything are already inside the $100 set. I would be perfectly fine with them skipping the Great Hall to focus on the rest of Hogwarts. If I’m dropping $500 on a Hogwarts Castle I can save up for a bit longer and drop another $100 on a Great Hall. 

3 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Sorry, I lost interest after the first few lines but everything is opinion at this stage. Hopefully we get more information soon :classic: 

Is the official image confirmed as the final set for the great hall?  I am disappointed that McGonagall only has normal legs, compared to the interesting new slope piece shown at the toy fair.  That being said, the mold for the sorting hat looks amazing and I am incredibly excited to see what's coming in later sets!

7 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

6 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. It’s possible that they include “the second half” of the Hall but I doubt it since all 4 house tables and everything are already inside the $100 set. I would be perfectly fine with them skipping the Great Hall to focus on the rest of Hogwarts. If I’m dropping $500 on a Hogwarts Castle I can save up for a bit longer and drop another $100 on a Great Hall. 

A part of the trick is to get people collecting a series, like with the modulars! A lot of fans buy every modular because they collect the series, myself included. Some of the sets I instantly love, but often I need to get to know them first before I get warm feelings :wub: Looks may vary, but they are always great to build and I do not want a single gap in the collection :tongue: If this series goes where I think, it will probably be the greatest collectible series Lego have ever released! Just think about the potential if more or less every set from the smallest impulse set to the biggest D2C fit together like a glove :sweet:

2 hours ago, dforce said:

Is the official image confirmed as the final set for the great hall?  I am disappointed that McGonagall only has normal legs, compared to the interesting new slope piece shown at the toy fair.  That being said, the mold for the sorting hat looks amazing and I am incredibly excited to see what's coming in later sets!

Well the kids trying out the set where annoyed that only few figs could sit at the tables, so unfortunately for us they changed it. Still it is hard to argue with that decision since we need a lot of kids buying the sets to give the series a long prosper life.. Hopefully we will get a dress piece for her in a future set :classic:

10 hours ago, Markalus said:

Exactly.  The big Hogwarts at $500 should include all of the major parts of Hogwarts, which would include the Great Hall.

9 hours ago, RealGeronimo11 said:

I doubt they'd do that because they have peg holes (whatever they're called) in the Great Hall which will probably connect to the D2C. There would be not point in that if they were gonna have a smaller one in the D2C

Those peg holes are likely for the Whomping Willow set, which has already been confirmed to connect with the Great Hall.

8 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

You can indeed compare the 2.  There was a throne room set, and the throne room itself was part of the D2C Death Star.  The same could be true here.  My guess is that they will release a selection of sets, some of which can connect together (like the Great Hall and Whomping Willow).  Separate from that, there will be a nice, complete Hogwarts D2C set.  The thinking is that they made the Great Hall for those that can afford $100, but can't afford $500.

Exactly.  The big Hogwarts at $500 should include all of the major parts of Hogwarts, which would include the Great Hall.

Those peg holes are likely for the Whomping Willow set, which has already been confirmed to connect with the Great Hall.

You can indeed compare the 2.  There was a throne room set, and the throne room itself was part of the D2C Death Star.  The same could be true here.  My guess is that they will release a selection of sets, some of which can connect together (like the Great Hall and Whomping Willow).  Separate from that, there will be a nice, complete Hogwarts D2C set.  The thinking is that they made the Great Hall for those that can afford $100, but can't afford $500.

There are multiple peg holes on the Great Hall. There are two on the left side of the main hall, two on the left side of the tower and two on the right side of the tower. Some face to the side (horizontal connections) but some face backwards. I’m 99% sure that all 3 of those connecting points are not solely for the Whomping Willow. It’s definitely designed to connect to the D2C, and I really don’t think that the D2C needs a Great Hall. 

3 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

There are multiple peg holes on the Great Hall. There are two on the left side of the main hall, two on the left side of the tower and two on the right side of the tower. Some face to the side (horizontal connections) but some face backwards. I’m 99% sure that all 3 of those connecting points are not solely for the Whomping Willow. It’s definitely designed to connect to the D2C, and I really don’t think that the D2C needs a Great Hall. 

Agreed. With pin holes facing in different directions more than one set is going to connect to the Great Hall, and the only thing behind the Great Hall is the entire rest of Hogwarts.

I don't want the D2C to have a Great Hall. Sure it's the most iconic part of the castle, but it's also a bit of a separate part of the castle. The Great Hall stands on it's own as a thing, while the Quad+rooms and Courtyard+rooms stand out as their own sections from the back and one giant section from the front. Splitting the two is perfect from a design and scale perspective, and I'd be super annoyed to drop $100 on a GH set when it'll just be slapped into a $500 one later. Give me an amazing $500 build for the rest of the castle and not a $400 cluttered build with something I've already got!

6 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Has anyone noticed that all characters that had to appear in the Great Hall but did not also appeared in 2010 Hogwarts set?

That was probably where the leaker got the minifigues, they probably just assumed they would be repeated

I don't think the D2C needs to include the Great Hall because odds are if you can afford to buy the D2C, you can probably afford the Great Hall as well. 

I would hope there is no Great Hall in the D2C set; but I'm not that educated as to how Lego markets their stuff so I would not be surprised if they included a Great Hall too.

My guess is TLG is hoping to sell lots of the $100 set. And then they would make a D2C contain the least coveted sections of Hogwarts...for the more intense collectors who want ALL of Hogwarts.

Imagine if the D2C is just a detailed, mini model of the castle set on a large piece of rock. LOL.

I never was interested in Brickheadz much. They never interested me....but as a Harry Potter fan and a Lego fan, I will get them! hahaha.

I haven’t been excited about a theme since the release of The Lord of the Rings sets. I do hope we get a nice D2C set.

My fear is that it will just be a detailed, mini model of the castle set on a large piece of rock, like was mentioned above...

If you think realistically, Lego will want to block out the MAIN characters in the first wave. We already learned just by the Great Hall set that they are going a bit stronger than the 2010 wave, so I'm guessing the figs will be something like this:

Great Hall - Dumbledore, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, McGonnagall, Hagrid, Quirrell, Nick, Susan

Whomping Willow - Harry, Ron, Snape, Lupin, Sirius or Hermione

Aragog - Harry, Ron

Newt's Briefcase - Newt, Tina, Jacob, or Queenie

Grindelwald Duel - Newt, Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Tina

UCS Hogwarts - Hopefully this will cover some characters from the later films, due to the fact that the Great Hall is focused on 1 and 2 and covers the main basis of characters. Voldemort will have to be in this set, along with some Death Eaters, indicating a Battle of Hogwarts/Goblet of Fire type feel.

Also, whoever thinks ANOTHER Great Hall is happening in the UCS, thats really unrealistic. They are labeling a set as "The Great Hall", they'd never include a second one. And they wouldn't do the other half either since the Great Hall set isn't built that way, its only missing the back wall. 

Edited by GryffindorResistance

1 hour ago, GryffindorResistance said:

If you think realistically, Lego will want to block out the MAIN characters in the first wave. We already learned just by the Great Hall set that they are going a bit stronger than the 2010 wave, so I'm guessing the figs will be something like this:

Your predictions seem accurate, given how LEGO has handled HP and similar licenses in the past.

The D2C has so many possebilities for characters, who knows what will be inside!

1 hour ago, Moexy said:

I haven’t been excited about a theme since the release of The Lord of the Rings sets. I do hope we get a nice D2C set.

My fear is that it will just be a detailed, mini model of the castle set on a large piece of rock, like was mentioned above...

Probably it won't be a mini Hogwarts.

Yeah no way they put another great hall. The one we got is sufficient. I hope they put focus on DADA classroom, Dumbledore's office, the astronomy tower, girl's bathroom, so  much other stuff. I hope we get Slughorn, Madeye, Umbridge and characters from all 7.

I hope to see the owlery and greenhouses in D2C, but it is maybe a bigger chance they are add ons in later waves..A long as we get them sooner or later I am happy :tongue: