Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

28 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

@Captain Nemo Would it be optimistic to hope to get both, one for sitting the other for standing? :laugh:

@Azani perhaps don't state assumptions as facts unless you want to go the way of Nekchir. :tongue:. I think it was a genuine mistake but don't presume we should be sure of something unless you're sure of it. :sceptic:

Hey, dude. No need to be a d%ck about it.

I was 100% certain, without a doubt, and with absolutely zero room for error. Why?

Because TLG literally said so, definitively. They didn't say, "maybe". They said "definitely". The fact that they changed their minds is bizarre, but anyone with a shred of a brain could determine that there's no way that any of us could have possibly seen that coming. Unfortunately, you don't seem to fit in there.

I'd be wary of comparing me to Nekchir, or even hinting at the idea that I might not know what I'm referring to. Because I do, and you don't. Funny, right?

Cheers. 

Edited by Azani

4 minutes ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

That would be nice. If they do use Year 3 elements in the Willow set, a brick-built version of Lupin as a werewolf could be interesting. It'd be nice to properly convey his height and shape in that form (the previous version of him as a werewolf was fairly comical rather than accurate), or Sirius in dog form. Although with Sirius I could see them just using a black version of the existing dog mold.

Where werewolves covered in the original Fantastic Beasts book? If they were you might be on to something...

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

I bet the person who wrote that long speech about how they won’t be at toyfair is kicking himself now, kinda funny :laugh:

Nope. I don't regret what I said at all. I'm laughing at the idea that there are people (like you) who are uninformed enough to not understand that TLG changed their minds.

Edited by Azani

1 minute ago, Azani said:

Because TLG literally said so, definitively. They didn't say, "maybe". They said "definitely". The fact that they changed their minds is bizarre, but anyone with a shred of a brain could determine that there's no way that any of us could have possibly seen that coming. Unfortunately, you don't seem to fit in there.

TLG's help desk said the BIONICLE reboot was doing fine just five months before it's cancelation. They're not always 100% true to their word XD

Just now, Mata_Nui said:

TLG's help desk said the BIONICLE reboot was doing fine just five months before it's cancelation. They're not always 100% true to their word XD

That's a whole different story, because that can't easily be proven wrong. That said, there's nothing to suggest that that was a lie. :)

Minor thing to mention, the new HP sets have been removed from the Harry Potter theme on Brickset and the Fantastic Beast theme is gone. All the sets are now under the new theme 
"Wizarding World."

Did anyone notice the hairpiece they are using at toy fair as a stand-in for Dumbledore's new one? It's the new Han Solo hair piece in light bluish grey - perfect for an updated old Han figure

This line seems to be trying to take advantage of the Wizarding World attractions. Could the basilisk be based not on the movie but on something there?

6 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

Did anyone notice the hairpiece they are using at toy fair as a stand-in for Dumbledore's new one? It's the new Han Solo hair piece in light bluish grey - perfect for an updated old Han figure

I saw that but that doesn't actually looks like old Han Solo's hair. His hairstyle in the Episode VII looks closer to the hairpiece he already has

This recolor of the new hairpiece has to be for someone else....

That Toy Fair version is a mess. It's built wrong, the main tower is missing a piece, it also has gained seemingly an extra tower on the side that is not in the final set along with some sort of gear feature, a place to hide what appears to be a prototype Mirror Of Erised and a different thicker base than the final product.

24 minutes ago, Azani said:

That's a whole different story, because that can't easily be proven wrong. That said, there's nothing to suggest that that was a lie. :)

Lego have definitely straight-up lied in the past. In this case however, i believe they had a new CEO recently, or at least someone directly involved in aspects such as this, who has decided to alter how Lego's marketing and PR works. Hence why the Marvel Superheroes theme has gotten pushed back from March 1st to March 3rd and we're not getting a VIP release for a D2C set in that theme - and why such a completely inaccurate set has turned up on display at Toy Fair despite us being shown the accurate version in a press release.

The decision to show off the set was probably a decision made late in the process, perhaps the set was not completed at the time and they have desperately worked to assemble something similar to the final build to show off.

Edited by Scarilian

30 minutes ago, Mata_Nui said:

Where werewolves covered in the original Fantastic Beasts book? If they were you might be on to something...

Yep, they were! So it's possible that a brick-built Lupin werewolf could happen in the Whomping Willow set, but we'll have to wait and see. 

If LEGO stick to Years 1-2 for now, I imagine that if this wave is successful they'd move on to subsequent years. So if there aren't any Prisoner of Azkaban elements to the Willow set and it's purely based around the Ford Anglica crashing into it in Chamber of Secrets, at least we could reasonably expect Year 3 elements in future releases.

Edited by AnnaBuildsLego

It wouldn't be the first time they've included a hairpiece in a new colour in a toyfair display that wasn't utilised until much later... case in point, Filch had a dark brown stand-in hairpiece in 2010's NYTF that wasn't part of the final set and was finally first released in CMF series 6 in 2012 :wink:

I really can't get over how awesome this set looks.:wub:  This is most defiantly a day 1 purchase for me, I'm surprised they included Susan Bones but it actually makes a lot of sense considering she was one of 5 students we saw in the first movie that got sorted into a house, the other four been Harry, Ron, Hermione & Draco which all come in this set.:grin:  It's great to see it connects to more sets as well, probably meaning that the D2C will connect to this set.  I was very surprised to see the small legs for the students but I guess it makes sense.

It's official now we only need a Ravenclaw student to get students from all four houses.  I just hope in the future we get the printed logo of the house on the students jumpers.:grin:

Great to see new wand pieces as well.

Edited by Legoman123

39 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

Because black bricks are cheaper than sand green ones (yes I’m being serious). We all gotta think like designers on a budget people! The vast majority of this set’s budget went to new molds, pieces, big pieces, and colors, so the designer cut corners elsewhere to compensate. So it seems the mandated Basilisk was...well the only corner cut. :blush: 

That was my guess. I hope if the line continues long enough that they consider making a proper chamber of secrets so we can get a better version. I do have the old one, but it’s not that great either

Just now, Ultron said:

I hope if the line continues long enough that they consider making a proper chamber of secrets so we can get a better version. I do have the old one, but it’s not that great either

The Basilisk in the LEGO Harry Potter Videogame was a fantastic build. It's probably way to big to make it into a set, but it shows LEGO has the potential to create a better brick-built version.

For those who are disappointed with the Basilisk, I think a great Basilisk could be MOCed out of the Ninjago Movie Green Ninja Mech Dragon. I wonder if someone has tried that yet.

3 minutes ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

For those who are disappointed with the Basilisk, I think a great Basilisk could be MOCed out of the Ninjago Movie Green Ninja Mech Dragon. I wonder if someone has tried that yet.

In this video 

around 33 seconds in they use The Great Devourer from Ninjago as the Basilisk. It's in no way a spot on design, but it's got a similar scale for MOCers to work with.

13 minutes ago, Mata_Nui said:

The Basilisk in the LEGO Harry Potter Videogame was a fantastic build. It's probably way to big to make it into a set, but it shows LEGO has the potential to create a better brick-built version.

Do you have a pic you can post? May be worth MOC’ing one up.

3 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

If you go here, you can see that the basilisk was never actually green. That was due to set lighting.

You know, the lighting in a lot of those pictures make it look like Blue in the new JW sets

1 minute ago, KevinMD said:

Do you have a pic you can post? May be worth MOC’ing one up.

image.jpeg.5f525b6ffbb424485878ae60322751bd.jpegImage result for lego harry potter basilisk]

Here's a thumbnail with it's head in game, and a Flicker recreation of it (doesn't say who it's by ;(  )

Thanks, @Mata_Nui

also, looking at the toy fair pics, the mcgonagle fig is the 4842 version of her (minus the sloped legs being the new mold) so I don’t think we’re getting a sloped base unfortunately

Edited by KevinMD

Such a shame they got rid of the play features. They looked pretty fun. It also appears that Susan Bones wasn't in the NYTF version,  or did I miss her somewhere? If she's missing that might be confirmation that they have swapped some figures which gives some credibility back to the earlier rumours/leaks.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:36 AM, Catanas said:

New moulds from what I can tell. Feel free to correct me.

Harry's hair.

Hermione's hair.

Dumbledore's hair.

All Hagrid.

Quirrel's Turban.

Wands.

The rat, which also appears in the Arctic sets.

The candles? The flames are at least.

The lattice windows in that shape?

The small spires, and the larger textured roofing parts.

Hagrids lantern.

Oh, and the less crummy looking sorting hat!

In the time passed, there are now three categories of part improvements: New molds for this theme, much better molds created in the time since the last version, and new molds being released in multiple sets and themes that work great here. 

New molds, thus far for this line only:

Harry, Hermione, Dumbledore (it's subtle), and Hagrid's hairpieces

Hagrid's body

Hagrid's lantern

Wands

Sorting Hat

Candle flames

Small rectangular lattice windows

Curved roof spikes

Small shingled roof cones

New molds that have arrived in between and are great for this line:

Luke Skywalker's hair for Ron

Penguin's umbrella for Hagrid (though the solid color looks worse than the built-up ones)

Doc Brown's hair for Nick

Spooky Girl's hair for Susan

Gandalf's beard for Dumbledore

The Snake Charmer and Desert Warrior CMFs' turban for Quirrell

More realistic spider from Jungle sets in the City theme

Simultaneously-released new parts

Scabbers (will also be released as a generic mouse in CMF series 18 and in Arctic sets)

Height-adjusted and robe-shaped slope for McGonagall (wherever that's released), also used in some Solo sets

Edited by 8BrickMario

1 minute ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Such a shame they got rid of the play features. They looked pretty fun. It also appears that Susan Bones wasn't in the NYTF version,  or did I miss her somewhere? If she's missing that might be confirmation that they have swapped some figures which gives some credibility back to the earlier rumours/leaks.

She is right there but she is wearing the Invisibility Cloak :wink:

Just now, 8BrickMario said:

Scabbers (will also be released as a generic mouse in CMF series 18

It's not the same mould. They are introducing both a new rat and new mouse :grin:

12 minutes ago, 8BrickMario said:

In the time passed, there are now three categories of part improvements: New molds for this theme, much better molds created in the time since the last version, and new molds being released in multiple sets and themes that work great here. 

New molds, thus far for this line only:

Harry, Hermione, Dumbledore (it's subtle), and Hagrid's hairpieces

Hagrid's body

Hagrid's lantern

Wands

Sorting Hat

Candle flames

Small rectangular lattice windows

Curved roof spikes

Small shingled roof cones

New molds that have arrived in between and are great for this line:

Luke Skywalker's hair for Ron

Penguin's umbrella for Hagrid (though the solid color looks worse than the built-up ones)

Doc Brown's hair for Nick

Spooky Girl's hair for Susan

Gandalf's beard for Dumbledore

The Snake Charmer and Desert Warrior CMFs' turban for Quirrell

More realistic spider from Jungle sets in the City theme

Simultaneously-released new parts

Scabbers (will also be released as a generic mouse in CMF series 18 and in Arctic sets)

Height-adjusted and robe-shaped slope for McGonagall (wherever that's released), also used in some Solo sets

The spikes have been around for a year as part of Nexo Knights I believe, and the shingle roof cones were released in January in a couple of Disney Princess sets. There is a new 1x1 tan slope on the Great Hall roof, though!