Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

I'm quite looking forward to these new sets coming out since I missed all the original Harry Potter sets when they came out, and short of winning the lotto I'll never get my hands on them. I might get some flak for saying this but this theme could maybe kinda replace castle is nexo knights disappear this year too. lol

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

Probably McGonagall.

I would say probably not it she is in the great hall set :classic:

58 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I think it’s going to be similar to the Death Star in terms of minifigures. You look at the old Hogwarts Set 4842 figures: 10 price: 130$, 5378 figures:9 price: 90 and even this years great hall, a lot of figures for $80-90. Lego seems to really like including a lot of figures in the big Harry Potter sets so i doubt they are going to go easy on figures especially with a 500$ huge castle build

Those other sets came in waves with no CMF in addition if the great hall rumour is right we get 14 there as well, that is a lot of different minifigs *huh* So I think they will use the money mostly for the build, but include more figs than the Disney castle, 8-12 I guess.. We associate a lot of figs to Hogwarts, the Disney castle personally no figs at all (who lives there? Is it Cinderella:wacko:) except Tinker Bell from the movies, so no wonder it got only 5 figs..

5 hours ago, Ultron said:

Unless they’re variants or something, I think it’s alright if they just stay in the sets personally

Then there's no point in having a Harry Potter CMF. Those are the characters most people want to see.

1 hour ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Well, we didn’t think they would go easy on figures for a $350 huge castle build and they did. Given that we also have a CMF series I don’t expect more than 8 figures in Hogwarts.

The Disney Castle, which cost $350, actually repeated several of the minifigures from the Collectible Minifig line that immediately preceded it. Donald and Daisy were exactly the same as the ones from the CMF series, Minnie was a repaint, and Mickey had a different outfit. The only completely exclusive character was Tinkerbell. I could see, if indeed such a large Hogwarts to cost $500 is being produced, that it will be light on minifigs. Maybe Harry, Moaning Myrtle, and the 4 House ghosts from the CMF line plus some kind of exclusive figure?

Since not everything is confirmed I suspect the 14 minifigures are in the D2C set as that would make way more sense. I think people should keep this option in mind and not be disappointed when it turns out the Great Hall set has only like 6-7 figs. 

The thing that we need, and I think most of you agree, are teachers and people to inhabit Hogwarts because if we are getting a big Great Hall and a D2C Hogwarts, we're gonna want students and teachers to populate the school

35 minutes ago, BigHobbit said:

The Disney Castle, which cost $350, actually repeated several of the minifigures from the Collectible Minifig line that immediately preceded it. Donald and Daisy were exactly the same as the ones from the CMF series, Minnie was a repaint, and Mickey had a different outfit. The only completely exclusive character was Tinkerbell. I could see, if indeed such a large Hogwarts to cost $500 is being produced, that it will be light on minifigs.

Exactly! What I really want is a great castle, and not 20 minifigs (half of them duplicates from different sets) with a mediocre building. The Death star has a lot of minifigures, but it looks very bad as a display piece- it's rather a play set. The less minifigures, the more the set is focused on displayability and design- just like with the UCS Millenium Falcon or on a smaller scale the Disney Castle (and I hope that the Castle will be exactly that).

35 minutes ago, BigHobbit said:

Maybe Harry, Moaning Myrtle, and the 4 House ghosts from the CMF line plus some kind of exclusive figure?

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dumbledore, Snape, Voldemord and Malfoy are the most recognisable characters and they will have to be in this set. More minifigures are not really needed (the ghosts are a special "spice" that we get in the CMF, but are not essential to the story)

Edited by ddavid
Esthetics

I haven't kept up on the leaks or news and I don't want to read an extra 20 pages. But keeping the target audience in mind, they tend to be light on figures for most sets. So a giant castle will likely be a playset, not a display piece, and it might not have as many figures as you'd expect.

Either way, I'm pumped for more Potter since the 2010 line is what brought me out of my DA. Although, funds are lower this year, so it will be harder to get all the different themes I want. Oh well..

8 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

So a giant castle will likely be a playset, not a display piece

yes, but it can also look good as a display piece (kind of like the disney castle or even the Joker Manor)

58 minutes ago, BigHobbit said:

The Disney Castle, which cost $350, actually repeated several of the minifigures from the Collectible Minifig line that immediately preceded it. Donald and Daisy were exactly the same as the ones from the CMF series, Minnie was a repaint, and Mickey had a different outfit. The only completely exclusive character was Tinkerbell. I could see, if indeed such a large Hogwarts to cost $500 is being produced, that it will be light on minifigs. Maybe Harry, Moaning Myrtle, and the 4 House ghosts from the CMF line plus some kind of exclusive figure?

Daisy was new and exclusive. All characters were exclusive variants except for Donald (same as CMF) and Tinker Bell, who was a new character. I’d expect a regular trio with the set, a Dumbledore variant, maybe some teacher variants and one or two exclusive teachers, and maybe some exclusive students. 

Honestly, I think that this Hogwarts D2C will be in shops during the FB movies period, not the same on this CMF series that only will be in shops one year... And if the next wave maybe are more focused with FB movies (I hope not) the people that have not bought this Harry Potter CMF series in a few years they will not be happy getting only a few minifigures on the 500$ D2C Hogwarts...

Edited by ETELENZOS92

8 minutes ago, ETELENZOS92 said:

people that have not bought this Harry Potter CMF series in a few years they will not be happy getting only a few minifigures on the 500$ D2C Hogwarts...

But Lego does those things: like with the Disney Castle that is still available and the CMF are long gone. Even worse is the situation with the Ghostbusters HQ that if you buy now, you won't have the very important Ecto-1, and the HQ is designed to house this wehicle. So this is very possible to happen. (But I wouldn't mind, and if we get another series, regular customers won't as much too.)

Edited by ddavid

Just now, ddavid said:

But Lego does those things: like with the Disney Castle that is still available and the CMF are long gone. Even worse is the situation with the Ghostbusters HQ that if you buy now, you won't have the Ecto-1, and the HQ is designed to house this wehicle.

But these examples are different from a Hogwarts Castle... you don't need all the characters of the disney CMF for the disney castle... The Harry Potter fanbase will want get more minifigures than 8 in a set of 500$, It's more likely Death Star, maybe 15-17 minifigs will be Ok.

3 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I would prefer to get a huge, amazing castle build with 8 figures rather than getting 20 figures and an okay build. I want them to put more effort into the actual set rather than the figures.

100% agreed.

The 2010 Hogwarts had amazing figures but less-than-stellar build with the exception of the Great Hall and maybe Dumbledore's Office.

Minifigures are easy to come by, they really should put all their efforts on the set.

Edited by HarryPotter

If we're agreeing that the castle will be more of a play set than a display piece, why shouldn't it have a good amount of figs?

-The Death Star was clearly meant to be for play and had a TON of figs. The Hogwarts Castle will even be comparable in price and piece count. Conversely: The Super Star Destroyer was meant for display and only had 5 figs. 

-The Disney Castle is somewhere in between. It's got play features, but the inside is not as iconic as the outside, which is why a lot of attention was put on how it looked as a model. Hogwarts has an iconic inside and out as it's been featured in 7 books and 8 movies. Basically the Lego Disney Castle serves as a glorified dollhouse. Most effort put into the exterior for display purposes while the inside is given some play features for those who buy it for that. No one buys a Super Star Destroyer to play with it. 

I'm thinking Hogwarts will be somewhere in between as well. But, like I said, it's iconic inside and out. The Harry Potter sets have always been about locations, let's not forget that. They take these locations from the movies and make them playable. Look no further than Diagon Alley. While it was honestly more display heavy it still had a ton of figs and added play features like hat stands and magical creatures and such. So I'd say definitely expect more than 5 figs. No less than 10 for sure. There will no doubt be repeats, (Harry, Ron, Hermione, Malfoy, Dumbledore, Snape, Hagrid for sure) but expect some unique ones that aren't super important to kids, Trewlaney, Lockhart, Quirrell, maybe Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff students, though I doubt them honestly. They seem like perfect army building potential.

The real enigmas to me are Ginny and Luna. They're big enough characters for kids to probably want them, so I'm not entirely convinced they'd be exclusives to the castle. So where are they?! Hoping Lego is planning for the long run..

There is no way that Hogwarts has less than 10.  If you want to compare this set to previous it will be like the Ewok Village(My favorite set). Looks amazing but has tons of play features and minifigs. Hogwarts is a location set and location sets have always had tons of minifigs. The only UCS sets with five or so minifigs are vehicles like the Falcon ( which has very little play ability) and the Executor which only has the bridge. A hollow Hogwarts would make no sense. I see Harry, Ron, Hermione, all of the defense against the arts teachers (We never got Slughorn), divination teacher, Crab, Goyle, Luna, Cedric,  (school version, tri-tournie would be elsewhere), and Ginny. 

Edited by RODDY

I honestly hope the house ghosts are just in Hogwarts, I want to get characters I can use from the minifigure series, as I won't be able to get the D2C hogwarts, so they won't be of much use to me or anyone else who can't afford that set.

Honestly the D2C Hogwarts is kind of annoying to me as that means I won't be able to get the castle until whenever they rerelease a playset version, so I'll be lacking the castle for a couple years. 

16 minutes ago, RODDY said:

There is no way that Hogwarts has less than 10.  If you want to compare this set to previous it will be like the Ewok Village(My favorite set). Looks amazing but has tons of play features and minifigs. Hogwarts is a location set and location sets have always had tons of minifigs. The only UCS sets with five or so minifigs are vehicles like the Falcon ( which has very little play ability) and the Executor which only has the bridge. A hollow Hogwarts would make no sense. I see Harry, Ron, Hermione, all of the defense against the arts teachers (We never got Slughorn), divination teacher, Crab, Goyle, Luna, Cedric,  (school version, tri-tournie would be elsewhere), and Ginny. 

What's still making me scratch my head is the figures on the Great Hall set.

If it's supposed to connect to D2C Hogwarts, then I imagine that TLG won't want to put too many repeated minifigures between them, but the Great Hall sets basically features all the characters that should appear on Hogwarts Castle, with the exception of Flitwick, Sprout, Luna and Ginny.

I really can't wait for more concrete info.

3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

If it's supposed to connect to D2C Hogwarts, then I imagine that TLG won't want to put too many repeated minifigures between them, but the Great Hall sets basically features all the characters that should appear on Hogwarts Castle, with the exception of Flitwick, Sprout, Luna and Ginny.

The idea behind so many figs is so that people who can't afford the D2C can still get the important figures. 

I really hope they do more than one wave of Harry Potter sets, but with Lego nowadays, you can never be so sure. It seems that most themes have shorter time spans, so you never know, even though Potter does have the potential to last for A WHILE. 

I did hear though from an inside source that due to Harry Potter being in such demand, this wave really is as BIG as we are speculating it is, with the UCS Hogwarts confirmed to be true.

If they decide to fill the Hogwarts with figures and do a span of all the films to create variations of the castle, I could see the minifigs being as such:

- Harry Potter

- Ron Weasley

- Hermione Granger

- Quirrel

- Lockhart

- Mad Eye

- Lupin

- Umbridge

- Bellatrix Lestrange

- Fenrir Greyback

- Luna Lovegood

- Ginny Weasley

- Cedric Diggory

- Cho Chang

But if they decide not to go that route, better off, I could see them going for some more basic students and professors.

Also, just realized someone else said pretty much the same thing as me but whatever!!

Edited by GryffindorResistance

5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I think this is because they want to give those who can't afford the UCS the necessary characters in a cheaper way. I also think it might connect to it as well so the UCS makes room for the lesser known figure like the Lockharts and Moody. 

Just now, RODDY said:

I think this is because they want to give those who can't afford the UCS the necessary characters in a cheaper way. I also think it might connect to it as well so the UCS makes room for the lesser known figure like the Lockharts and Moody. 

I'm not sure I would call them lesser known, both of them were essential to the plot

2 minutes ago, Brickwraith said:

I'm not sure I would call them lesser known, both of them were essential to the plot

I meant lesser known compared to like Harry and Dumbledore. Should of said rarer minifig though. Sorry. 

Just now, RODDY said:

Should of said rarer minifig though. 

Yeah, I hope they don't stay rare, it would be annoying if they are D2C exclusives