Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

3 minutes ago, BrickG said:

I'm honestly not sure Harry Potter will sell well enough after a couple of waves to justify more and more waves. I kind of see it as having a similar problem to lord of the rings. Great movies but maybe not enough to justify wave after wave because they're not too recent. And the newer Newt movies might be too "old" to sell as many toys.

I could be wrong. I know it will have MORE staying power than the LotR line. The question is, how much.

You underestimate the popularity and power of the Harry Potter brand

Just now, BrickG said:

That absolutely proves nothing. If Lego based what franchises they did on this forum I'm not sure how good they'd do. :P

? That’s true, but I think with the amount of people that are looking for leaks and release images, it kinda proves how popular these sets will be, I mean with the modern building techniques and designs it’d make them so much better for displays thus adults are more likely to buy them

While 110 pages of content here would indicate interest in the theme on this site I wouldn't hold it as an indicator of a line's success. Are we looking at around 100 people commenting on this thread? Less? Even if they all bought each set it's not much to go on. I personally think HP will be a success more down to the events of the past year such as the 20th Anniversary event at Kings Cross, every day of the History of Magic exhibition at the British Library being a lock out for tickets, The success of The Cursed Child, Pottermore, The Wizarding World tour etc. HP is huge. Massive. It's turned it author into one of the richest women in the world and has maintained a fanbase across many age groups all across the world. If you want to equate it to Star Wars then it's like the prequels. Derided by many adults and fans on the original trilogy (me included... I still think they're poor), but loved by the kids they were made for... well those kids now have disposable income and they're the ones looking for companies such as Hot Toys to make PT characters now at £200 a pop (while ST characters warm shelves). Those kids who were 10 -15 when HP was released now have kids... and they're introducing HP to those kids. Fantastic Beasts is helping this by bringing a new movie experience to those kids. Do I think kids walking into a toy shop will buy Harry Potter lego? Yes I do. And Adults.

111 pages of discussion about HP may seem like a lot, but there are 208 pages of discussion on LotR, and that clearly didn't sell well. But I agree that HP has a different kind of appeal than LotR, especially to LEGO's target demographic. I have to believe that HP sets will sell better than LotR did. (And who knows... with Amazon's forthcoming LotR series, we could even see LEGO resurrect that line as well).

And don't forget that the LOTR waves, which were about 10 years too late, was also coupled with the release of the 3 awful Hobbit movies...

32 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

111 pages of discussion about HP may seem like a lot, but there are 208 pages of discussion on LotR, and that clearly didn't sell well. But I agree that HP has a different kind of appeal than LotR, especially to LEGO's target demographic. I have to believe that HP sets will sell better than LotR did. (And who knows... with Amazon's forthcoming LotR series, we could even see LEGO resurrect that line as well).

To be fair this thread is at 111 pages without a single thing being released... that LOTR thread was at around 160 pages by the time the line ended. 30 or so pages after that were people complaining about it's cancellation and then there's been 20 or so pages as a trickle in the two years since that mainly happened.

26 minutes ago, Robianco said:

To be fair this thread is at 111 pages without a single thing being released... that LOTR thread was at around 160 pages by the time the line ended. 30 or so pages after that were people complaining about it's cancellation and then there's been 20 or so pages as a trickle in the two years since that mainly happened.

The poor people in the 20 pages hoping it will still happen. It still might though. I have no idea.

I think the staying power of HP can't be compared to much other than Star Wars.  Universal Studios has a large segment of its park dedicated to HP, the movies are on TV all the time.  Those who grew up with HP are just now to the age where they have expendable income as well as are having kids who are getting close to the age that they can be introduced to the Wizarding World.  You don't see that with LOTR or other movie franchises. 

If you want a barometer of the excitement around HP Lego, I think the best place to look is bricklink or other second hand market sales of the previous sets.  The prices of the sets definitely point to a demand like no other.  THe larger LOTR sets are still selling for average prices of 4.10 a brick where the HP sets are selling for well over $.20 cents per brick.  

ALl tha tsaid, I hope the HP line is around for a while with lots of large D2C sets, at least a Diagon Alley and Hogwarts Express/Kings Cross Station in addition to the rumored Hogwarts

The trouble with LotR is the fact it’s always been for a more mature audience, 3-4 hour long films, books that are incredibly long

I think they didn’t sell well because at the time there was a big thing about adults “playing” with Lego whereas now you have adult YouTubers reviewing Lego so it removes the stigma and now adults are able to purchase sets for movies they have grown up with without there being any negative feedback from other people

As much as I love Harry Potter and Legos and the combination of them, I predict 2 waves at most before this brand retires again for a few years.

Back in 2011, they had only two waves; the second wave being the Battle of Hogwarts and Forbidden Forest sets only. After that, there were no more.
It could be that they only stopped because there were no more movies.

I do hope I am wrong though! I would love many many sets with all the towers and turrets of Hogwarts!

20 minutes ago, joeee said:

As much as I love Harry Potter and Legos and the combination of them, I predict 2 waves at most before this brand retires again for a few years.

Back in 2011, they had only two waves; the second wave being the Battle of Hogwarts and Forbidden Forest sets only. After that, there were no more.

I do hope I am wrong though! I would love many many sets with all the towers and turrets of Hogwarts!

There‘s no way Harry Potter has 2 waves at most. That‘s a fact. Trust me.

50 minutes ago, joeee said:

I do hope I am wrong though!

I think you most likely are :tongue: Unless the sets sell bad, but that is not very likely given the quality of the sets (we have seen so far) and the popularity of the HP brand :classic:

On 15.4.2018 at 5:16 PM, hotdogs11 said:

Do you think they would do a new mold like the spider from the great hall?

For Mrs Norris?! No, but maybe they give her a new colour.. :sceptic:Crookshanks I guess have a small chance to get a new mould in a future cmf series. If we are lucky several of the animals can turn up in a cmf series :wub:

2 hours ago, joeee said:

Maybe they will just do a wave or two every time Fantastic Beasts movie comes out. We know we are getting 5 FB movies. Maybe like FB 2 - HP 1-2, FB 3 - HP 3-4, FB 4 - HP 5-6 and FB 5 - HP 7-8.

Then there are people like me, who haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies, nor do I plan to, yet I already know I will buy at least one of the sets. 

Just now, Johnny1360 said:

Then there are people like me, who haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies, nor do I plan to, yet I already know I will buy at least one of the sets. 

Why would you do that? Aside from the fact that it means there are fewer sets for actual fans it seems pointless in a non-fan getting them?

2 hours ago, joeee said:

With this wave being years one and two I think we got at least 2 more waves of Harry Potter and one more cmf before there is even thought about ending the theme

27 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

Why would you do that? Aside from the fact that it means there are fewer sets for actual fans it seems pointless in a non-fan getting them?

Yes it is a bid odd, I guess never really thought about it. I have not seen The Lego Movie, The Lego Batman Movie, or any Lego movie for that matter, also never watched anything Marvel or DC, Ninjago, Nexoknights. I did watch one Star Wars movie, like 30 years ago. It's just not something I enjoy, watching movies. 

However I do have many, many sets from all those themes and then some and I enjoy all of them, lots of great Lego sets. 

I know this isn't necessarily normal, just the way I roll. Hopefully this will not have too much of an impact on the HP fan base, if so I apologize. I do promise to open the set and build it. 

Just now, Johnny1360 said:

Yes it is a bid odd, I guess never really thought about it. I have not seen The Lego Movie, The Lego Batman Movie, or any Lego movie for that matter, also never watched anything Marvel or DC, Ninjago, Nexoknights. I did watch one Star Wars movie, like 30 years ago. It's just not something I enjoy, watching movies. 

However I do have many, many sets from all those themes and then some and I enjoy all of them, lots of great Lego sets. 

I know this isn't necessarily normal, just the way I roll. Hopefully this will not have too much of an impact on the HP fan base, if so I apologize. I do promise to open the set and build it. 

I love that “I will open it and build it”, if this was Facebook I’d have the verbal shit kicked out of me, I wonder if anyone else does that, just gets sets because they look cool, I myself only get sets with skin tone minifigs as I’m not a fan of the traditional yellow, but I only used to get DC sets, I have the odd Marvel set but never got any others

On 05/04/2018 at 10:49 PM, RyanMe said:

That's a very exciting coming soon.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Maybe they will just do a wave or two every time Fantastic Beasts movie comes out. We know we are getting 5 FB movies. Maybe like FB 2 - HP 1-2, FB 3 - HP 3-4, FB 4 - HP 5-6 and FB 5 - HP 7-8.

They better not forget Cursed Child.

1 minute ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

That's a very exciting coming soon.

They better not forget Cursed Child.

They better forget Cursed Child, it was trash and should not be considered canon...

Just now, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

It's totally canon. JK Rowling says so.

Most fans don’t count it as canon even if Rowling says it is because it tosses out so much lore from the actual books, plus it won’t be made into Lego because it was a stage play, not a film... thank god

Just now, harleydavid98 said:

Most fans don’t count it as canon even if Rowling says it is because it tosses out so much lore from the actual books, plus it won’t be made into Lego because it was a stage play, not a film... thank god

It's nowhere near as bad as people make out. No reason why LEGO couldn't start making sets based off stage plays if they wanted.

Just now, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

It's nowhere near as bad as people make out. No reason why LEGO couldn't start making sets based off stage plays if they wanted.

It is exactly as bad as people make out, I’ve seen it, I’m a huge fan of Harry Potter and I saw it for the trash/cash grab that it was, and yes, they could, but they won’t