Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

20 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

It seems like they’re setting up this line to last for a long time, since all of these sets are only based on years 1-2 with a little bit of 3. 

I think they will do the following:

• 2018: 1 and 2
  • 2019: 3, 4 and 5
  • 2020: 6, 7.1 and 7.2

Maybe also with one D2C per year:

Just now, Praetorian_Guard said:

I hope that’s the case, 3 years of Lego HP, I’d love for 3 to be this year though, I mean my 2 favourite characters were first in that film (Lupin and Sirius)

58 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

I’m so hyped for this theme to re-release, do you guys reckon there’ll be more than one wave or just this one?

The hope is that this wave will be followed by another next year that focuses on the next few movies/books (since this wave seems primarily to focus on books 1+2, with a dash of 3 thrown in). I think if the CMF line sticks to the same formula, then that's a good indication we'd get another wave or two of it as well. But that would probably be 6 months after this wave, or even a year depending on how aggressive they want to be with it. In an ideal world the HP line would become evergreen, but that's unlikely given there is a finite amount of subject matter to base sets around (even counting the 4 forthcoming FB movies).

19 minutes ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

I could see it getting stretched out further than that. There's enough in 4 to cover an entire wave, with all of the challenges, two additional schools, etc. There's also all the FB movies to slot in with the HP sets.

49 minutes ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

My guess is as stated earlier:

• 2018 wave 1 year 1-2 HP
  • 2020 wave 2 year 3-4 HP
  • 2022 wave 3 year 5-6 HP
  • 2024 wave 4 year 7 (movie 7-8) HP

If both the HP and FB sets sell extremely well it is possible that they release FB sets in the years I have said when they release the movies. Then release the HP waves in the years in between or still a mix of sets, but every year..

Lego are playing is safe, very safe! They did not make sets for the first FB movie. Now they do, but most are HP. They are pretty sure that HP will sell well, but have no clue about FB. So I think it is in everyone's interest that also the FB sets sell a lot not only HP, but as long as they keep making sets with elements as good as the thestral in Grindelwald escape they should be safe :tongue:

Just now, Roebuck said:

My guess is as stated earlier:

• 2018 wave 1 year 1-2 HP
  • 2020 wave 2 year 3-4 HP
  • 2022 wave 3 year 5-6 HP
  • 2024 wave 4 year 7 (movie 7-8) HP

If both the HP and FB sets sell extremely well it is possible that they release FB sets in the years I have said when they release the movies. Then release the HP waves in the years in between or still a mix of sets, but every year..

Lego are playing is safe, very safe! They did not make sets for the first FB movie. Now they do, but most are HP. They are pretty sure that HP will sell well, but have no clue about FB. So I think it is in everyone's interest that also the FB sets sell a lot not only HP, but as long as they keep making sets with elements as good as the thestral in Grindelwald escape they should be safe :tongue:

I’m not sure about everyone else, but I aim to buy every set (even the D2C), the only one that doesn’t interest me at the minute is the briefcase, it will only interest me if it comes with Minifigs that I can use in my Hogwarts display (I know it won’t be 100% accurate), however the Thestral Carriage interests me massively, I might even buy several of the thestrals to populate my forbidden forest

One and a half month for official images? Doesn't sound bad...

12 hours ago, hotdogs11 said:

Where on Instagram?

It was on Paul Seeley's story.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

All the evidence points towards the Harry Potter theme continuing for multiple waves. 

We have Fantastic Beast films that will surely coincide with Lego sets accompanied by Harry Potter ones. 

We have a Whomping Willow and a Great Hall as a singular set- we haven't seen these before therefore suggesting more obscure sets from films will be released. 

The first wave of sets are practically Year 1 and 2 'with a flavour of 3'. Therefore years 3,4,5,6,7 all need to be covered. Exciting times ahead! 

Look forward to official pictures for sure! Hopefully that Insta story is accurate. 

Would anyone else wish to see an updated Diagon Alley in the future? I sure would...

I missed out on all but one of the older sets (The Dobby set with Lucius) so I’d be happy for any of the older sets to be remade, especially with new building techniques and higher quality builds/figures

I was just thinking, what if they do with the Harry Potter waves like what they did with the Infinity War sets, each set had an infinity stone, what if each wave has a Horcrux, Quirrell (confirmed to be a temporary horcrux) for Philosopher’s Stone, diary for CoS, Ring for PoA, Cup for Order, Locket for Half-Blood Prince, Diadem for Deathly Hallows and a dishevelled looking Harry for DH pt 2

Edited by harleydavid98

46 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

I was just thinking, what if they do with the Harry Potter waves like what they did with the Infinity War sets, each set had an infinity stone, what if each wave has a Horcrux, Quirrell (confirmed to be a temporary horcrux) for Philosopher’s Stone, diary for CoS, Ring for PoA, Cup for Order, Locket for Half-Blood Prince, Diadem for Deathly Hallows and a dishevelled looking Harry for DH pt 2

I would prefer a large final wave (last book, movies 7 and 8) that includes a Horcrux in every set. 

Just now, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I would prefer a large final wave (last book, movies 7 and 8) that includes a Horcrux in every set. 

I didn’t even think of that, that’d be awesome, I’d just be happy to have every official horcrux, obviously we’re already get Quirrell/Voldemort 1.5, but I definitely want a good Nagini

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

In an ideal world the HP line would become evergreen, but that's unlikely given there is a finite amount of subject matter to base sets around

Well, Star Wars spent a decade without any new movies released and it's line remained as strong as it ever was during that time.

And TLC had even less material than HP to work it.

Edited by HarryPotter

Just now, HarryPotter said:

Well, Star Wars spent a decade without any new movies released and it's Lego brand remained as strong as it ever was.

And TLC had even less material than HP to work it.

That’s true, but the issue with Star Wars is that everything is so overdone and I’d hate for HP to get that way, I mean 7 Millenium falcons, 6 star destroyers and 4 Death Stars, I’ve seen so many rants about overdone Star Wars sets by fans, that’s the issue with reintroducing themes and making new waves, I wouldn’t want HP to be overdone

Honestly, I doubt Lego has a 4 year plan for these Harry Potter sets to do 2 movies per year, but I feel like they are doing something like starting with the earlier films and moving forward.

The Harry Potter Funko Pop Line did something similar. They started with Sorcerer's Stone/main characters, then a wave of Azkban/Goblet characters, then a wave based around the newer films. If you guys know the trend I'm talking about, you'll know what I mean. Kind of hard to explain.

1 minute ago, harleydavid98 said:

That’s true, but the issue with Star Wars is that everything is so overdone and I’d hate for HP to get that way, I mean 7 Millenium falcons, 6 star destroyers and 4 Death Stars, I’ve seen so many rants about overdone Star Wars sets by fans, that’s the issue with reintroducing themes and making new waves, I wouldn’t want HP to be overdone

Fair enough.

Star Wars is overdone partly because of when it was introduced and the degree to which LEGO parts and building techniques have evolved and improved since then. Early HP sets were likewise simplistic but there have been multi-year gaps between the waves... and even then, there have been several versions of Hogwarts, etc. I think between the 8 HP movies and the 5 FB movies, LEGO could easily do two waves a year for the next 4-5 years, but whether it could keep going beyond that would really will depend on a) how much further LEGO advances between now and then and b) what plans JK Rowling has for the franchise beyond FB. 

I am hopeful the approach LEGO (seems to be) taking with this relaunch of HP — focusing on only a few books/movies at a time, in chronological order — means that they are mapping out the sets in a long-range plan that will avoid rehashes of these sets in a few years time.

Just now, jdubbs said:

Star Wars is overdone partly because of when it was introduced and the degree to which LEGO parts and building techniques have evolved and improved since then. Early HP sets were likewise simplistic but there have been multi-year gaps between the waves... and even then, there have been several versions of Hogwarts, etc. I think between the 8 HP movies and the 5 FB movies, LEGO could easily do two waves a year for the next 4-5 years, but whether it could keep going beyond that would really will depend on a) how much further LEGO advances between now and then and b) what plans JK Rowling has for the franchise beyond FB. 

I am hopeful the approach LEGO (seems to be) taking with this relaunch of HP — focusing on only a few books/movies at a time, in chronological order — means that they are mapping out the sets in a long-range plan that will avoid rehashes of these sets in a few years time.

I agree with that, I’d love to see some remakes of old sets, such as the Freeing Dobby set, imagine Dobby but with 2018 standard printing, I’d also love to see a Grawp set because if I recall he’s never been made before

As a fan of both Star Wars and Harry Potter I'll tell you this. Star Wars is so huge and even though they remake alot of sets, there is still alot more they coud do especially with new movies (Canto Bight, Jedi Temple, Yavin IV, Geonosis Areana, Padme's Starfighter)  list goes on. I feel like there's a limit to how much sets they can do since the majority of the films are at Hogwarts. It's just a much smaller realm. 5 years tops this line goes. 

Edited by RODDY

4 hours ago, harleydavid98 said:

I didn’t even think of that, that’d be awesome, I’d just be happy to have every official horcrux, obviously we’re already get Quirrell/Voldemort 1.5, but I definitely want a good Nagini

I’d like to see a new mold for Nagini since they seem to be going all out with this line. 

I think that Harry Potter should have a healthy theme life of 5-6 years and end with the last FB movie. One or two waves every 2 years to coincide with the new movies would be fine. I don’t want the theme becoming oversaturated like Star Wars, where there’s WAY too many sets to collect. If they have new sets every year I think they should follow the superhero style of doing 8 or so sets a year. 

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I’d like to see a new mold for Nagini since they seem to be going all out with this line.

Can be closer than we think *huh* I read a fan theory yesterday about the woman in blue dress sitting next to Credence in the group picture, she is apparently a Maledictus! A Maledictus is a cursed person turning into a animal against there will, so something close to a werewolf. The woman in blue apparently turn in to a snake, so no wonder she and Credence found each other.. If she during the FB films series is turned in to a snake for good she may well be Nagini in HP! It will be another link between the film series and make more sense for voldemort to make a Horcrux out of a Maledictus than a normal snake with a more limited lifespan..

I was just wondering, does anyone know how much these prices are going to be in the UK? Will it be fairly similar as being £99-$99 as opposed to actually doing the currency transfer rate?

I'm honestly not sure Harry Potter will sell well enough after a couple of waves to justify more and more waves. I kind of see it as having a similar problem to lord of the rings. Great movies but maybe not enough to justify wave after wave because they're not too recent. And the newer Newt movies might be too "old" to sell as many toys.

I could be wrong. I know it will have MORE staying power than the LotR line. The question is, how much.

Just now, BrickG said:

I'm honestly not sure Harry Potter will sell well enough after a couple of waves to justify more and more waves. I kind of see it as having a similar problem to lord of the rings. Great movies but maybe not enough to justify wave after wave because they're not too recent. And the newer Newt movies might be too "old" to sell as many toys.

I could be wrong. I know it will have MORE staying power than the LotR line. The question is, how much.

There is plenty of staying power, there is 110 pages of people talking in this topic, I think that proves that there are plenty of people willing to buy them

Just now, harleydavid98 said:

There is plenty of staying power, there is 110 pages of people talking in this topic, I think that proves that there are plenty of people willing to buy them

That absolutely proves nothing. If Lego based what franchises they did on this forum I'm not sure how good they'd do. :P